NATION

PASSWORD

To be right or to be happy?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it better to be right or to be happy?

Right
64%
Happy
36%

Total votes : 75

SatoSere
Envoy

Founded: Jun 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby SatoSere » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:09 am

Page wrote:
Feline Goetland wrote:
What do you think should be done about actual children?

Don't lie to kids about anything. Everything can be explained in an age appropriate way.

True. Hell, my dad explained to me about the Cold War in such way at the age of 6-7. It works, people.
The Immortal Pristine Revolutionary State of Ukraine
SUMMARY: An autocratic technocratic "utopia" with the best architecture and environment in the world, paid by the freedom of citizens.
What do we have to offer? A magnificent timeless architecture, weather-altering BS machines, a pristine environment, a strong military, and a death toll of 10 million from our concentration camps and bloody wars.
FOR EVERY BAD REPLY, A POLITICAL OPPONENT WILL BE SENT TO CHERNOBYL. 13 sent (don't get offended if you get chernobyl'd 'tis just a joke)

У К Р А Ї Н А Н О М Е Р О Д И Н У С В І Т О В О М У Щ А С Т І | П Р О К Л Я Т А З О Б Р А Ж Е Н Н Я | С Л А В А Л Е Г І О Н У С Е Р Е Н И
Q&A here another acc: HXVZ-07031017

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:31 am

being Cassandra is a bitch. I would rather be happy.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

SatoSere
Envoy

Founded: Jun 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby SatoSere » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:51 am

Ethel mermania wrote:being Cassandra is a bitch. I would rather be happy.

Being blissfully ignorant is also a crapstorm.
The Immortal Pristine Revolutionary State of Ukraine
SUMMARY: An autocratic technocratic "utopia" with the best architecture and environment in the world, paid by the freedom of citizens.
What do we have to offer? A magnificent timeless architecture, weather-altering BS machines, a pristine environment, a strong military, and a death toll of 10 million from our concentration camps and bloody wars.
FOR EVERY BAD REPLY, A POLITICAL OPPONENT WILL BE SENT TO CHERNOBYL. 13 sent (don't get offended if you get chernobyl'd 'tis just a joke)

У К Р А Ї Н А Н О М Е Р О Д И Н У С В І Т О В О М У Щ А С Т І | П Р О К Л Я Т А З О Б Р А Ж Е Н Н Я | С Л А В А Л Е Г І О Н У С Е Р Е Н И
Q&A here another acc: HXVZ-07031017

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:57 am

Notably it wasn't knowledge that was Cassandra's curse. It was that no one would ever believe her.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:58 am

SatoSere wrote:

Being blissfully ignorant is also a crapstorm.

Not like being right about being flushed down the toilet, its much more frustrating to know.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:00 am

Dogmeat wrote:

Notably it wasn't knowledge that was Cassandra's curse. It was that no one would ever believe her.

What the gods giveth, the gods take away. The true lesson is Always put out for a god.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:03 am

https://www.ntvg.nl/artikelen/geluk-en-kanker/volledig

Zijn mensen die van kanker genezen gelukkiger?
Maar maakt de ziekte – na een gunstig beloop – je wel een gelukkiger mens, zoals veel beroemde overlevenden beweren? Ook hiervoor is eigenlijk geen bewijs. In een studie van Nederlandse bodem werd een groep van 206 overlevenden van kanker gevolgd en vergeleken met 120 gezonde, demografisch vergelijkbare personen op verschillende tijdstippen, 3 maanden, 15 maanden en 8 jaar na de diagnose.12 De overlevenden lieten gedurende de follow-upperiode geen ‘groei’ zien op het gebied van levensvoldoening, eigenwaarde, huwelijksgeluk en sociaal netwerk. Ook scoorden zij op deze vlakken niet meetbaar anders dan de controlepopulatie. Wel hadden overlevenden significant vaker te kampen met lichamelijke problemen. In het kwalitatieve deel van de studie gaven de overlevenden aan het leven, zichzelf en hun relaties met anderen nu meer te waarderen dan 8 jaar geleden; dit schreven zij toe aan hun ziekte. Maar ze verschilden hierin niet van de controlepersonen, die in dezelfde periode ook meer van het leven, hun naasten en zichzelf waren gaan houden.

TL;Dr or don't understand dutch.

Regardless of surviving cancer or being healthy; people report more happiness when older.
So if you know the thruth or not, you will be happier when older. There is no correlation.

This is why I choose the thruth.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:12 am

Neanderthaland wrote:To lie to someone to preserve their happiness is to infantilize them. It is to reject their dignity, reason, and responsibility, because you think you know better than they do. You may think you're doing them a favor. You're actually belittling them. It shows contempt for them. I won't say there's never any reason to do this, but just know that it's a very disrespectful thing to do. And if they hate you for it when they find out, they have every right to.

To lie to yourself to preserve your happiness, is to infantilize yourself. It is to reject all claim to dignity, reason, and responsibility, and hold yourself in contempt. There is a reason why cults attempt to break you down before they indoctrinate you. To lie to yourself is to be broken.

If you just don't tell someone that what they believe is wrong, I don't think that's lying to them and it would be a different situation. In the case of the religious person, you would destroy any chance of them being happy if you were to tell them that it's not real, and I don't think that is the right thing to do. It would be worse than just letting them believe something that's wrong. As for the cults point, everyone lies to themselves about something and it makes them happy. It's not unique to people in cults.

Nouveau Yathrib wrote:Nice flag Geneviev

I voted for "Happy" because I don't think it would be ethical to tell Person B their religion is false. Not because I think we should suppress the truth to keep people/society happy (which I very much disagree with).

Thanks. :)

That's how I feel about it too. Society shouldn't suppress truth, but sometimes you have to let individual people be happy.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:18 am

Neanderthaland wrote:To lie to someone to preserve their happiness is to infantilize them. It is to reject their dignity, reason, and responsibility, because you think you know better than they do. You may think you're doing them a favor. You're actually belittling them. It shows contempt for them. I won't say there's never any reason to do this, but just know that it's a very disrespectful thing to do. And if they hate you for it when they find out, they have every right to.

To lie to yourself to preserve your happiness, is to infantilize yourself. It is to reject all claim to dignity, reason, and responsibility, and hold yourself in contempt. There is a reason why cults attempt to break you down before they indoctrinate you. To lie to yourself is to be broken.

The typical example used to justify that there can mercy in lying to others.

A couple happily married 30 years get into a horrible car accident, one killed the other critically injured knocked out cold, The injured spouse finally awakes and asks for their spouse.

Do you tell them their spouse is dead, or do you wait for a safer time in terms of the recovery?
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:47 am

I prefer to be happy there are too many negatives in this world and having a positive mindset can help you overcome those struggles.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Knica Eas
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Knica Eas » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:03 am

Bombadil wrote:
Knica Eas wrote:
I agree with this sentiment in general and would extend it further.

Truth is utilitarian. If a claimed 'truth' in relation to physical reality does not lead to some form of measurable or reproducible result, it is not a useful 'truth'. In the same way, if a claimed 'truth' in relation to sociological reality does not lead to measurable results, it is not a useful 'truth'.

For this poster, safety and happiness is of utmost concern. Therefore, truths are important to them insofar as these truths contribute to the ultimate goal of safety and happiness.

There are infinite truths in an infinite universe; we are finite beings. As such, any claim to universality must necessary tend towards the greatest possible degree of arrogance. The only way for a finite being to claim universality would be to shrink their universe, so those who are insistent on pushing a universal truth are, to me, no more than solipsists of a particularly extroverted variety.

Of course, it is still possible to admit that one's truths are not universal, but extrapolate that it is, based on the limited information available. In this case, it is important to clearly define the constraints and limitaitons, and maintain a strictly evidence-based approach in the course of growing one's sense of reality.

That's a dangerous road to take, where it gets into dangerous territory of what constitutes the safety and happiness of society in general. Truth is absolute, 'safety' and 'happiness' are not and in fact those societies where 'safety' is touted as paramount are generally those where the truth is most distorted.

Indeed, 'safety' and 'happiness' are not absolutes. This is why I mentioned that these concepts, as defined by that particular poster, are important to that poster. It does not mean that they are important for other people.

Another person may prefer to go into outer space and see the edge of the solar system with their own eyes. In that case, the truths relevant to them are those that are conducive to the realisation of that goal. Such truths may include those concerning physical reality - for instance, an accurate model for describing the motion of objects within the solar system, as well as those concerning social reality.

Ultimately, as much as we would like to believe that our capital-T Truth is absolute and exist as a sort of Platonic ideal far removed from baser desires and mundane needs, the totality of what we are and what we know and how we do things have been derived from a fundamentally involuntary drive to satisfy these baser desires and mundane needs. The caveman does not discover fire and pass on the knowledge of cooking in a noble quest for the Truth; he does so to survive.

Modern men like to imagine that we are far removed from our savage ancestors, but we, as a species, are but a toddler, freshly out of the cradle and endlessly crying. As societies, we continue to discover truths to achieve objectives; to me, the organisation and management of a society is not so different from the art of medicine, or the caveman's quest for learning to process food in a safe and (ideally) palatable manner.

Knica Eas
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Knica Eas » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:19 am

Ethel mermania wrote:

A couple happily married 30 years get into a horrible car accident, one killed the other critically injured knocked out cold, The injured spouse finally awakes and asks for their spouse.

Do you tell them their spouse is dead, or do you wait for a safer time in terms of the recovery?

I wrote the previous post prior to seeing the one quoted above. I think this is a good example.

The goal of the typical doctor is not to construct an accurate internal model of reality for the client. The goal of the doctor is to minimise harm. In this context, the only truths that matter are those that are condusive to minimising harm (i.e. using collections of facts, which we could call 'medical knowledge', in accordance with a model that organises these facts in a useful way, which we could call 'professional competence').

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:39 am

Knica Eas wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

I wrote the previous post prior to seeing the one quoted above. I think this is a good example.

The goal of the typical doctor is not to construct an accurate internal model of reality for the client. The goal of the doctor is to minimise harm. In this context, the only truths that matter are those that are condusive to minimising harm (i.e. using collections of facts, which we could call 'medical knowledge', in accordance with a model that organises these facts in a useful way, which we could call 'professional competence').

They matter if the person asks.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Nouveau Yathrib
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nouveau Yathrib » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:09 am

Page wrote:
Feline Goetland wrote:
What do you think should be done about actual children?

Don't lie to kids about anything. Everything can be explained in an age appropriate way.

How to explain affirmative action, civil rights, and haters to a small child: “you should be treated based on what you do, not what you look like”
I still can't believe that Brazil lost to Germany 1:7. Copy and paste onto your sig if you were alive when this happened.

This account is the predecessor state of Jamilkhuze and Syfenq. This is how they're different, and this is why they exist.

We are currently in the year 2181. About Us | Factbooks | Past and Future History | OOC Info | Public Relations | iiWiki | Q&A

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale

Nuroblav
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuroblav » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:19 am

Geneviev wrote:People will always say that they want to believe only in true things, but sometimes the truth will make them unhappy. Consider these examples:
1. Person A has been isolated from society for the last year and is entirely unaware of the current pandemic. They have been perfectly happy being alone and studying without knowing about what is happening in the world around them. Since they are isolating themselves already for different reasons, they are unlikely to be harmed by being ignorant of the pandemic. But if they do find out, it will cause them significant psychological distress (like the rest of us).
2. Person B believes in a religion that, for the sake of discussion, can be assumed to be false. But the religion makes Person B happy, gives their life purpose, and has helped them confront the suffering in their life. It also encourages them to be selfless and serve others. Being told their religion is false and seeing proof that it is false would not only make them unhappy, but would make it difficult for them to cope with everyday life.
There are more examples like this, but they are the first I thought of. So, in these situations, is it really better to know the truth? Or should we also consider what makes people happy?
In my opinion, there are situations in which the truth is too unpleasant to force on people. In the case of Person A, they should be told about the pandemic in case they choose to leave their hypothetical isolation during the pandemic. But Person B is not harmed by their faith at all, and to prove it wrong would be unethical in that case. But what say you, NSG?

I'd go with different answers for both of them. In the first one - I'd probably try and find a way to tell them without it causing much distress. Perhaps I'd leave it until after it's died down. Either way I think they'd have to find out at some point, unless they were to be isolated for the rest of their live.

In the second one though, I'd leave them to it. If it's not causing harm to others of course, than leave them alone to it.
Your NS mutualist(?), individualist, metalhead and all-round...err...human. TG if you have any questions about my political or musical views.

Economic Left/Right: -4.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03

\m/ METAL IS BASED \m/

Thepeopl
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:02 pm

https://mathias-sager.com/2018/06/11/th ... rsonality/

Believe in a higher power is external locus of control,
Knowing the thruth and realising you did all that yourself,
That's internal locus of control.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:03 pm

Nuroblav wrote:
Geneviev wrote:People will always say that they want to believe only in true things, but sometimes the truth will make them unhappy. Consider these examples:
1. Person A has been isolated from society for the last year and is entirely unaware of the current pandemic. They have been perfectly happy being alone and studying without knowing about what is happening in the world around them. Since they are isolating themselves already for different reasons, they are unlikely to be harmed by being ignorant of the pandemic. But if they do find out, it will cause them significant psychological distress (like the rest of us).
2. Person B believes in a religion that, for the sake of discussion, can be assumed to be false. But the religion makes Person B happy, gives their life purpose, and has helped them confront the suffering in their life. It also encourages them to be selfless and serve others. Being told their religion is false and seeing proof that it is false would not only make them unhappy, but would make it difficult for them to cope with everyday life.
There are more examples like this, but they are the first I thought of. So, in these situations, is it really better to know the truth? Or should we also consider what makes people happy?
In my opinion, there are situations in which the truth is too unpleasant to force on people. In the case of Person A, they should be told about the pandemic in case they choose to leave their hypothetical isolation during the pandemic. But Person B is not harmed by their faith at all, and to prove it wrong would be unethical in that case. But what say you, NSG?

I'd go with different answers for both of them. In the first one - I'd probably try and find a way to tell them without it causing much distress. Perhaps I'd leave it until after it's died down. Either way I think they'd have to find out at some point, unless they were to be isolated for the rest of their live.

In the second one though, I'd leave them to it. If it's not causing harm to others of course, than leave them alone to it.

That's what I was thinking too. Especially since the false religion makes them a better person.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

The Romanian Confederacy
Envoy

Founded: Aug 04, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romanian Confederacy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:14 pm

SatoSere wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:It is better to be a safely deluded but genuinely whimsical, happy-go-lucky fellow with a true heartfelt smile on their face at all times... then to be a grim-faced, “YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!” person unnecessarily aware of the true horror of things

Truth doesn’t matter

Safety and happiness are what counts. Now if you need to know a few truths to be safe, then that’s fine. However, the more you know, the less you can be protected from depressing truths.

Ah yes, you think Brave New World is an instruction manual.

He is a ChiCom supporter after all.
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.
Moderators Lie.

Copy and paste this into your sig if you think we should colonize other planets
Hyperpartisanship will be the downfall of civilized democratic society, it's already in progress as we speak, yet the people are too blinded by their hate to realize it.
As you can see, I am also a braindead piece of shit who can't do anything important and can't write lore at all whi abandons nations and leaves them to die out of pure fucking laziness, so please don't say that any post I make us remotely good at all.
Finish the post finish the post finish the post finish the postFinish the post finish the post finish the post finish the postFinish the post finish the post finish the post finish the post

Thepeopl
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:24 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Nuroblav wrote:I'd go with different answers for both of them. In the first one - I'd probably try and find a way to tell them without it causing much distress. Perhaps I'd leave it until after it's died down. Either way I think they'd have to find out at some point, unless they were to be isolated for the rest of their live.

That's what I was thinking too. Especially since the false religion makes them a better person.

Why do you differentiate?
Person a will be happy even if they know they are in the midst of a pandemic. Because they know nobody will come to their house and they don't have to visit the outside world if they choose not to (because they have missed the pandemic for 6 months already)
Person b will be happy knowing the thruth. They don't have to follow arbitrary rules anymore and can decide for themselves what "being good" constitutes.

Your premise of the thruth will cancel happiness is not set in stone. If a person is happy being ignorant, they'll be happy when they learn the truth as well.

It is known as Hedonistic Adaptation.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic ... nvironment.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:28 pm

Thepeopl wrote:
Geneviev wrote:That's what I was thinking too. Especially since the false religion makes them a better person.

Why do you differentiate?
Person a will be happy even if they know they are in the midst of a pandemic. Because they know nobody will come to their house and they don't have to visit the outside world if they choose not to (because they have missed the pandemic for 6 months already)
Person b will be happy knowing the thruth. They don't have to follow arbitrary rules anymore and can decide for themselves what "being good" constitutes.

Your premise of the thruth will cancel happiness is not set in stone. If a person is happy being ignorant, they'll be happy when they learn the truth as well.

It is known as Hedonistic Adaptation.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic ... nvironment.

Person A is just like the rest of humanity. We're distressed by the amount of death and suffering that the pandemic has caused, even those people who are lucky enough to not need to go out. Person A couldn't be happy knowing that so many people are dying. Person B's religion is the cause of their happiness and the cause of their moral behavior. Without that, they would have no reason to be happy. In both cases, the truth will cancel happiness.

Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:47 pm

To me, being right IS to be happy. I am always immensely distressed to be wrong about anything, and the effect of that is far worse than any illusory "happiness" that may have existed while in the ignorant state.

I would always prefer to know the truth, though. Temporary rage at having been wrong would quickly be replaced by happiness over now having the foundation needed to be right the next time!

Geneviev wrote:Person A is just like the rest of humanity. We're distressed by the amount of death and suffering that the pandemic has caused, even those people who are lucky enough to not need to go out.

There is no "we" there. Death happens. Until it does not happen at all, I really don't care if the death comes from a pandemic vs. the infinite other ways it happens. People panicking about it like a bunch of ants while pretending that's a good thing to do (panic is NEVER good) has been far more of a threat to my happiness than the disease itself.

I am sure that there are enough who believe like I do, whether or not they're willing to say so on a public platform, that it is wrong to say that "we" are distressed by this stupid fluke of nature. "WE" certainly are not. It will pass.

As for the religion one, if it was me, I'd be temporarily mad that I'd been bamboozled because that would mean that I had been WRONG about something. But being ignorant would be even worse! Knowledge is the first step of any improvement.
Last edited by Victorious Decepticons on Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Explosive .50 cal shells vs. Decepticons: REAL, IRL PROOF the Decepticons would laugh at them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVTZlNQfPA
Newaswa wrote:What is the greatest threat to your nation?
Vallermoore wrote:The Victorious Decepticons.

Bluquse wrote:Imperialist, aggressive, and genociding aliens or interdimensional beings that would most likely slaughter or enslave us
rather than meet up to have a talk. :(

TurtleShroom wrote:Also, like any sane, civilized nation, we always consider the Victorious Decepticons a clear, present, and obvious threat we must respect, honor, and leave alone in all circumstances. Always fear the Victorious Decepticons.

The Huskar Social Union wrote: ... massive empires of genocidal machines.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

In this case a doctor lying is a big problem, because it breaks the trust. You do not lie.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:35 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

In this case a doctor lying is a big problem, because it breaks the trust. You do not lie.

Yes, the correct answer is to say "I'm very sorry.. but s/he died instantly..", the 'I'm very sorry' at least provides a context to prepare and the 'instantly' at least assuages the idea there was pain, then add "it was probably your fault'.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:37 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:In this case a doctor lying is a big problem, because it breaks the trust. You do not lie.

Yes, the correct answer is to say "I'm very sorry.. but s/he died instantly..", the 'I'm very sorry' at least provides a context to prepare and the 'instantly' at least assuages the idea there was pain, then add "it was probably your fault'.

??? Where was fault in the example? As a doctor you would have no idea of fault so adding that would be a lie.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:43 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

??? Where was fault in the example? As a doctor you would have no idea of fault so adding that would be a lie.

Well.. maybe drop that last bit then, perhaps not the time for a bit of black humour..
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General