NATION

PASSWORD

To be right or to be happy?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it better to be right or to be happy?

Right
64%
Happy
36%

Total votes : 75

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:42 pm

Feline Goetland wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:To lie to someone to preserve their happiness is to infantilize them. It is to reject their dignity, reason, and responsibility, because you think you know better than they do. You may think you're doing them a favor. You're actually belittling them. It shows contempt for them. I won't say there's never any reason to do this, but just know that it's a very disrespectful thing to do. And if they hate you for it when they find out, they have every right to.

To lie to yourself to preserve your happiness, is to infantilize yourself. It is to reject all claim to dignity, reason, and responsibility, and hold yourself in contempt. There is a reason why cults attempt to break you down before they indoctrinate you. To lie to yourself is to be broken.

What do you think should be done about actual children?

Generally I'm in favor of not lying to children. It's very easy to abuse children's tendency to believe whatever an adult tells them. And there's a long history of adults taking advantage of this fact to abuse children. If you have to do it, you better have a good goddamn reason.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Feline Goetland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Feline Goetland » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:42 pm

SatoSere wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:It is better to be a safely deluded but genuinely whimsical, happy-go-lucky fellow with a true heartfelt smile on their face at all times... then to be a grim-faced, “YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!” person unnecessarily aware of the true horror of things

Truth doesn’t matter

Safety and happiness are what counts. Now if you need to know a few truths to be safe, then that’s fine. However, the more you know, the less you can be protected from depressing truths.

Ah yes, you think Brave New World is an instruction manual.

The Brave New World already exists. It is called “Hong Kong” and IM is enjoying it.
Goetland is not China.

China as a state is inherently evil which needs to be rectified by oppressed nations controlled by it regaining our righteous independence just like the independence of Finland, Baltic States, Poland and Ukraine from iterations of the Russian empire.

No more anti-Anglo, antisemitic and anti-Japanese nonsense, no more communist party, no more theft of wealth from Wu-speaking lands by Beijing, no more Boxer Rebellion-style xenophobia and it’s modern successors. America, Israel and Japan are inherently awesome.

Feline Goetland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Feline Goetland » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:43 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Feline Goetland wrote:

Generally I'm in favor of not lying to children. It's very easy to abuse children's tendency to believe whatever an adult tells them. And there's a long history of adults taking advantage of this fact to abuse children. If you have to do it, you better have a good goddamn reason.

Yup. Power corrupts. Many adults do enjoy abusing children because they can get away with it..
Goetland is not China.

China as a state is inherently evil which needs to be rectified by oppressed nations controlled by it regaining our righteous independence just like the independence of Finland, Baltic States, Poland and Ukraine from iterations of the Russian empire.

No more anti-Anglo, antisemitic and anti-Japanese nonsense, no more communist party, no more theft of wealth from Wu-speaking lands by Beijing, no more Boxer Rebellion-style xenophobia and it’s modern successors. America, Israel and Japan are inherently awesome.

SatoSere
Envoy

Founded: Jun 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby SatoSere » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:43 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
SatoSere wrote:Ah yes, you think Brave New World is an instruction manual.

I love the show

Harry Lloyd KILLED it as the Alpha, he was so believable

Sure, it was a good show. Doesn't mean that it would be a good society to live in, though. Also, I just can't stand those people who are blissfully ignorant. They're just... argh I probably have an irrational hate for them
The Immortal Pristine Revolutionary State of Ukraine
SUMMARY: An autocratic technocratic "utopia" with the best architecture and environment in the world, paid by the freedom of citizens.
What do we have to offer? A magnificent timeless architecture, weather-altering BS machines, a pristine environment, a strong military, and a death toll of 10 million from our concentration camps and bloody wars.
FOR EVERY BAD REPLY, A POLITICAL OPPONENT WILL BE SENT TO CHERNOBYL. 13 sent (don't get offended if you get chernobyl'd 'tis just a joke)

У К Р А Ї Н А Н О М Е Р О Д И Н У С В І Т О В О М У Щ А С Т І | П Р О К Л Я Т А З О Б Р А Ж Е Н Н Я | С Л А В А Л Е Г І О Н У С Е Р Е Н И
Q&A here another acc: HXVZ-07031017

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:48 pm

Knica Eas wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:It is better to be a safely deluded but genuinely whimsical, happy-go-lucky fellow with a true heartfelt smile on their face at all times... then to be a grim-faced, “YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!” person unnecessarily aware of the true horror of things

Truth doesn’t matter

Safety and happiness are what counts. Now if you need to know a few truths to be safe, then that’s fine. However, the more you know, the less you can be protected from depressing truths.

I agree with this sentiment in general and would extend it further.

Truth is utilitarian. If a claimed 'truth' in relation to physical reality does not lead to some form of measurable or reproducible result, it is not a useful 'truth'. In the same way, if a claimed 'truth' in relation to sociological reality does not lead to measurable results, it is not a useful 'truth'.

For this poster, safety and happiness is of utmost concern. Therefore, truths are important to them insofar as these truths contribute to the ultimate goal of safety and happiness.

There are infinite truths in an infinite universe; we are finite beings. As such, any claim to universality must necessary tend towards the greatest possible degree of arrogance. The only way for a finite being to claim universality would be to shrink their universe, so those who are insistent on pushing a universal truth are, to me, no more than solipsists of a particularly extroverted variety.

Of course, it is still possible to admit that one's truths are not universal, but extrapolate that it is, based on the limited information available. In this case, it is important to clearly define the constraints and limitaitons, and maintain a strictly evidence-based approach in the course of growing one's sense of reality.

That's a dangerous road to take, where it gets into dangerous territory of what constitutes the safety and happiness of society in general. Truth is absolute, 'safety' and 'happiness' are not and in fact those societies where 'safety' is touted as paramount are generally those where the truth is most distorted.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:53 pm

The problem with happiness born from lies is that the truth has a nasty habit of existing whether you believe in it or not. And sooner or later your happy makebelief reality is going to end up crashing headlong into it face first. And when that inevitably happens your happiness is going to come crashing down in a way that is much worse than if you just accepted reality to begin with. Because not only does your happy life go away but everything you did up until that point turns out to have been a mistake. Suddenly you have to face not just being unhappy but having wasted your entire life. And that's a horrifying thought to say the least.

That's why you see people like religious fundamentalists going through insane contortions to stave off reality. They know that if they falter in their belief for just one moment and accept the world as it is their lives are going to be uprooted forever. Everything they lived for their entire existence is going to end up being a horrible mistake. And that is why they desperately want and need god to be real. And why they fight so hard to convince others and through that them self that he is. Anything else would be life destroying. It's a fate that is literally so bad that people choose to die rather than accept it.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Nouveau Yathrib
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Nouveau Yathrib » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:59 pm

Nice flag Geneviev

I voted for "Happy" because I don't think it would be ethical to tell Person B their religion is false. Not because I think we should suppress the truth to keep people/society happy (which I very much disagree with).
I still can't believe that Brazil lost to Germany 1:7. Copy and paste onto your sig if you were alive when this happened.

This account is the predecessor state of Jamilkhuze and Syfenq. This is how they're different, and this is why they exist.

We are currently in the year 2181. About Us | Factbooks | Past and Future History | OOC Info | Public Relations | iiWiki | Q&A

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:20 am

Nouveau Yathrib wrote:Nice flag Geneviev

I voted for "Happy" because I don't think it would be ethical to tell Person B their religion is false. Not because I think we should suppress the truth to keep people/society happy (which I very much disagree with).

Yea, that's a thorny question. On one hand the person is setting them self up for an inevitable horrible crash. And the longer he stays that way the worse the crash is going to get. So in a way snapping them out of it now is a kindness. On the other do we really want to be the one to set that off? I mean... you are doing them harm newer the less. So what is good in such a situation? Is it good to break someones arm to save their neck later on?
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:28 am

I’d prioritize Safety and Happiness.

Truth in and of itself is irrelevant except where it occasionally intersects with either of the above highest goods.

The best society is the one where everyone is Happiest and Safest. What they know or don’t know’s not really important except where it directly concerns the above two things.

If unveiling a Truth is only going to cause a long term decrease in Safety and Happiness, then don’t unveil it. Seems simple to me.

Truth is not a societal objective, only Safety and Happiness.

Feline Goetland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Feline Goetland » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:32 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:I’d prioritize Safety and Happiness.

Truth in and of itself is irrelevant except where it occasionally intersects with either of the above highest goods.

The best society is the one where everyone is Happiest and Safest. What they know or don’t know’s not really important except where it directly concerns the above two things.

If unveiling a Truth is only going to cause a long term decrease in Safety and Happiness, then don’t unveil it. Seems simple to me.

Falsehoods can cause actual social harm for example by lowering the level of scientific research so your claims don’t hold.
Goetland is not China.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:34 am

There is one obvious flaw in that logic. If others have such power over you that they can decide what is real or not for you than why would they do so in your favor rather than their own? You have given them all the power they need to abuse you and use you and given away any chance you have of even knowing they are doing it until its too late to do anything about it.

SatoSere
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby SatoSere » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:35 am

So, what you're saying is we should cover up global warming or other crisis for happiness? Really? Happiness is ephemeral, truth is eternal.
SUMMARY: An autocratic technocratic "utopia" with the best architecture and environment in the world, paid by the freedom of citizens.
What do we have to offer? A magnificent timeless architecture, weather-altering BS machines, a pristine environment, a strong military, and a death toll of 10 million from our concentration camps and bloody wars.
FOR EVERY BAD REPLY, A POLITICAL OPPONENT WILL BE SENT TO CHERNOBYL. 13 sent (don't get offended if you get chernobyl'd 'tis just a joke)

У К Р А Ї Н А Н О М Е Р О Д И Н У С В І Т О В О М У Щ А С Т І | П Р О К Л Я Т А З О Б Р А Ж Е Н Н Я | С Л А В А Л Е Г І О Н У С Е Р Е Н И

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:37 am

Feline Goetland wrote:

Falsehoods can cause actual social harm for example by lowering the level of scientific research so your claims don’t hold.

Only to the extent that they cause a decrease in Happiness and Safety In the long term

You need some balance of the three but if you’re going to sacrifice one, it’s the Truth (since it’s only valuable for maximizing the other two)

We can deal with an ignorant society... but not an unsafe and unhappy one

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:38 am

SatoSere wrote:

So, what you're saying is we should cover up global warming or other crisis for happiness? Really? Happiness is ephemeral, truth is eternal.

Downplaying global warming could affect Safety... if it didn’t, it wouldn’t be an issue
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Feline Goetland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Feline Goetland » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:39 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Feline Goetland wrote:

Only to the extent that they cause a decrease in Happiness and Safety In the long term

You need some balance of the three but if you’re going to sacrifice one, it’s the Truth (since it’s only valuable for maximizing the other two)

I disagree. All widely believed falsehoods cause social harm.
Goetland is not China.

SatoSere
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby SatoSere » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:39 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
SatoSere wrote:So, what you're saying is we should cover up global warming or other crisis for happiness? Really? Happiness is ephemeral, truth is eternal.

Downplaying global warming could affect Safety... if it didn’t, it wouldn’t be an issue

Fair point, what would be an example of a truth that would undermine safety and happiness?

SatoSere
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby SatoSere » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:41 am

Feline Goetland wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

I disagree. All widely believed falsehoods cause social harm.

I agree with Goetland here.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:43 am

SatoSere wrote:

..as well as cover up legitimate concerns and unhappiness through clamping down on dissent and free speech. If society won't be happy we'll create the illusion and pretend it is.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Feline Goetland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Feline Goetland » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:54 am

SatoSere wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Fair point, what would be an example of a truth that would undermine safety and happiness?

China sucks?
Goetland is not China.

SatoSere
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby SatoSere » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:58 am

Feline Goetland wrote:
SatoSere wrote:Fair point, what would be an example of a truth that would undermine safety and happiness?

China sucks?

That would do jackshit towards safety and happiness, and this truth is already common knowledge. In most cases the truth would have a small impact on safety and happiness or be beneficial towards them. Truth above happiness.

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:42 am

Being right makes me happy.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Historian, of sorts.

Effortposts can be found here!

SatoSere
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby SatoSere » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:50 am

Kowani wrote:Being right makes me happy.

Based.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:54 am

When I consider the ratio of how often I'm right about things versus how I often I experience happiness, I would say I'm pretty solidly on the side that says being right is more important than being happy.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:58 am

This is called in ethics the problem of false happiness (i.e. happiness based on false belief), and is one of the major issues with ethical hedonism, in that ethical hedonism doesn't really have a way to distinguish false happiness and true happiness in ethical terms, and as a result, this can be used to justify behavior towards others that our considered judgements tend to regard as abhorrent.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:00 am

Feline Goetland wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:To lie to someone to preserve their happiness is to infantilize them. It is to reject their dignity, reason, and responsibility, because you think you know better than they do. You may think you're doing them a favor. You're actually belittling them. It shows contempt for them. I won't say there's never any reason to do this, but just know that it's a very disrespectful thing to do. And if they hate you for it when they find out, they have every right to.

To lie to yourself to preserve your happiness, is to infantilize yourself. It is to reject all claim to dignity, reason, and responsibility, and hold yourself in contempt. There is a reason why cults attempt to break you down before they indoctrinate you. To lie to yourself is to be broken.

Don't lie to kids about anything. Everything can be explained in an age appropriate way.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General