NATION

PASSWORD

To be right or to be happy?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it better to be right or to be happy?

Right
64%
Happy
36%

Total votes : 75

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:29 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:You do NOT speak for all religious people. And that is the definition of faith that most everyone uses.

I know happiness isn't necessarily about feeling good. But the fact remains that you would rather have an anecdote that supports your argument then not. And since truth doesn't matter to you, why not make something up?

Bullshit. That is ALL you do. Every one of your threads is basically, "Okay, I may have given up religion. Maybe. But here are all the reasons why my Church is still great and did nothing wrong!"

Once again you are projecting. The vast majority of "pressured into it" is done by religion, and not the other way around.

None of this changes the fact that tiptoeing around any subject that might potentially hurt someone's feelings if they were wrong about is idiotic. Society simply can't function that way. Children could never be taught anything, because I assure you EVERYTHING you could teach them will be offensive to somebody.

"Can't teach Billy chemistry, because Billy grew up believing in the four elements of witchcraft. And knowing that there are more than four elements would be deeply offensive to him."
"Can't teach Suzy gym. Because Suzy grew up in a household that believes it's immodest for women to exercise."
"Can't teach Jonny music. Because Jonny was taught that music is the tool of the Devil."
"Why not just let them believe what makes them happy? It doesn't harm anybody? Except, of course, for how assumes it does make them happy, robs them of opportunities, and encourages them never to question anything. Aside from those profound harms, it barely harms anyone."

There's a lot of definitions, so I wouldn't say that most people use that one.

The other ones have to do with things like faith in the context of marriage, which just means fidelity. Faith, in a religious context, means what I said. Making it about "proof" entirely defeats the point of faith. And isn't faith.

Truth does matter to me, and I wouldn't want to make anything up. I don't know why I would.

In that case, you probably shouldn't have spent the last six pages arguing against truth.

That is not all I do, and one of the more frustrating things on General is that people want to see things that way constantly. I am interested in religion and tend to make threads about it, but this one isn't about religion.

You were the one who made our conversation - yours and mine - about religion. I didn't bring it up. You did. And you made your hypothetical specifically about a religious person. So yeah, this is kind of on you.

It was inspired by a conversation I had with someone about something completely different. The fact that one of the examples is about religion is caused by it being the best example I had of a case where happiness might be more important than truth, but I thought the pandemic one was also an interesting case. So maybe there would be less misunderstandings if people can move on from those assumptions.

Again, I didn't start with that assumption, you dragged me there.

It's not about offense, because you're right that someone will always be offended. It's just about respecting people's beliefs when it will make them happy and they're not hurting anyone.

Beliefs aren't entitled to respect. People are. And it's respectable to treat them like adults, and not coddle them.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:37 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Geneviev wrote:There's a lot of definitions, so I wouldn't say that most people use that one.

The other ones have to do with things like faith in the context of marriage, which just means fidelity. Faith, in a religious context, means what I said. Making it about "proof" entirely defeats the point of faith. And isn't faith.

Truth does matter to me, and I wouldn't want to make anything up. I don't know why I would.

In that case, you probably shouldn't have spent the last six pages arguing against truth.

That is not all I do, and one of the more frustrating things on General is that people want to see things that way constantly. I am interested in religion and tend to make threads about it, but this one isn't about religion.

You were the one who made our conversation - yours and mine - about religion. I didn't bring it up. You did. And you made your hypothetical specifically about a religious person. So yeah, this is kind of on you.

It was inspired by a conversation I had with someone about something completely different. The fact that one of the examples is about religion is caused by it being the best example I had of a case where happiness might be more important than truth, but I thought the pandemic one was also an interesting case. So maybe there would be less misunderstandings if people can move on from those assumptions.

It's not about offense, because you're right that someone will always be offended. It's just about respecting people's beliefs when it will make them happy and they're not hurting anyone.

Beliefs aren't entitled to respect. People are. And it's respectable to treat them like adults, and not coddle them.

Even in a religious context, people use it differently.

I wasn't arguing against truth, I was arguing for letting people believe in things that make them happy if it doesn't matter otherwise.

One of the two hypotheticals. I really expected people to disagree on the first one, and no one did.

Sometimes respecting beliefs is respecting people.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:36 am

Geneviev wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:The other ones have to do with things like faith in the context of marriage, which just means fidelity. Faith, in a religious context, means what I said. Making it about "proof" entirely defeats the point of faith. And isn't faith.

I wasn't arguing against truth, I was arguing for letting people believe in things that make them happy if it doesn't matter otherwise.

One of the two hypotheticals. I really expected people to disagree on the first one, and no one did.

For the record, truth is preferable in both hypotheticals. Most people answered generally, saying truth is preferable. Which logically covers both. So plenty of people "disagree on the first one."
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:22 am

Geneviev wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:The other ones have to do with things like faith in the context of marriage, which just means fidelity. Faith, in a religious context, means what I said. Making it about "proof" entirely defeats the point of faith. And isn't faith.

I must have looked at the wrong hypothetical, the one I saw the person who went to go tell the truth to the husband should have been punched out shunned by all their friends and family.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:04 am

Dogmeat wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Even in a religious context, people use it differently.

For the record, truth is preferable in both hypotheticals. Most people answered generally, saying truth is preferable. Which logically covers both. So plenty of people "disagree on the first one."

Everyone agreed that the truth is better in that hypothetical. People only disagreed with the religion one.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Secret Santa Claus
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Secret Santa Claus » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:29 am

Geneviev wrote:Christmas is better without Santa Claus

It's hard not to take that one personally.

Previous

Return to General