NATION

PASSWORD

Should the State of Washington be renamed?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the state of Washington be renamed?

Yes
43
13%
No
277
87%
 
Total votes : 320

User avatar
The Reformed American Republic
Senator
 
Posts: 3860
Founded: May 23, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:52 am

-Astoria- wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:You think you're going to scare me by effectively calling me a racist. :roll: :roll: :roll:

...you said "racism", not them.

I absolutely love it when you leftists are deliberately obtuse.

User avatar
-Astoria-
Minister
 
Posts: 2332
Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria- » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:55 am

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
-Astoria- wrote:...you said "racism", not them.

I absolutely love it when you leftists are deliberately obtuse.

Ah, "leftists"; my bingo card's getting full.

Republic of Astoria | Gwernaith Asdair | Šenvat Astoir | République d'Astorie
Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Diplomacy | FAQ | Question artist
Fri 30 April
✉ TV1 News: Labour Day celebrations to be at reduced capacity | Ideas, projects wanted for mobility award | 6 injured in accidents on Thursday | Weather: Liskerry ⛅ 4° | Altas ⛅ 3° | Esterpine ☀ 10° | Naltgybal ☁ 7° | Ceirtryn ☂ -1° | Bynscel ⛅ 7° | Lyteel ☁ 6° | Traffic: HR Rte 2: 5 min delays westbound

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1 | 10/10: DGES | Corruption index
⅐ Heptumvirate
User interest in worldbuilding dwindling due to self-conscious old shames.


User avatar
Grand Proudhonia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 597
Founded: Aug 23, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grand Proudhonia » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:59 am

Yes. not because of Washingtons alleged racism or whatever ism

Purely because The State of Cascadia is 1000x cooler than The State of Washington

If anything, DC could then be further admitted as The State of Washington
Last edited by Grand Proudhonia on Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Mutualist Society of Grand Proudhonia
"Property Is Theft, Property Is Liberty"

If you have any questions about Mutualist Political Philosophy, feel free to send me a telegram!

User avatar
Kiu Ghesik
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8952
Founded: Aug 25, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kiu Ghesik » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:59 am

Washington Resistance Army wrote:The reason western Europe speaks romance languages and is Catholic is cuz the Romans destroyed native languages and faiths lol, they were absolutley racist for their time. Really the great majority of pre-modern nations or empires were, turns out modern views are just that.

The word "Barbarian" ringing any bells?
Brief
Caller
Clans
Strife
Words
Faith

 ✵  THE GREAT KIU - EJADRIR DEGHEU GIYEF KHUDEYVH. ✵ 

Questions | Soon | Nomadwave | Musings on PT | Gathering
✵ A newly-birthed confederation of insular nomadic clansmen struggling to remain a local great power in the face of their expanding foes. May or may not be united by worship of an eldritch mother-goddess. Now with extra align=center!

✵ Our Foreign Policy: Надад мөнгөө өг | Cities Razed Times Our Policy Has Been Disrespected: 50

✵ my life is steadily turning into just one big bitch moment and i'm not sure how to feel about it
She's loyal, smol, ready to rol. Big big bowl, full of rol. Smol rol, big bowl. Cinny rol, big bowl, smol rol.


User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59003
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:26 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:And the fact that you think that it was good, or at least the right course of action, for slavery to be tolerated since it lead to America being founded does not create an obligation on me to imagine an alternate history where slavery was not tolerated and also America was still founded.



They were widespread, though. Northern states had abolitionist laws. The fact that those laws did not cover the whole nation doesn't mean that abolitionism was some fringe ideology. Were gay rights a fringe ideology ten years ago? Marriage equality was only the law in a few states back then, just like abolitionism. The fact that it took a lot longer for abolitionism to become the law across the nation than it took for marriage equality doesn't mean that abolitionism was not a widespread belief before Lincoln proclaimed emancipation.

Yes. That they didn't think there was anything wrong with being sexist doesn't mean they weren't sexist.



So strange to see someone agree on the facts, accept all the terrible things that America has done and is doing, but object to people not ignoring them.

He never said slavery was good or OK. accepting slavery was a precondition of the south for replacing the articles of confederation with the constitution. The condition of slavery already existed prior to the constitution, without the guarantee of 20 years of no action on slavery written into it, we would have stayed under the articles of confederation.


Its upsetting how more people can't see this. The lack of knowledge regarding history upsets me as a historian.

User avatar
Christian Confederation
Minister
 
Posts: 2320
Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Christian Confederation » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:32 am

So we rename Washington to idk The State of Ginsburg after the late Justice, then what? Do we rename every county and High School named after Washington? Rename every Lee Street because Robert E Lee was on the wrong side of History? No we aren't going to rename things and Erase History because people from hundreds of years ago are controversial today.
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

User avatar
-Astoria-
Minister
 
Posts: 2332
Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria- » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:38 am

Christian Confederation wrote:So we rename Washington to idk The State of Ginsburg after the late Justice, then what? Do we rename every county and High School named after Washington? Rename every Lee Street because Robert E Lee was on the wrong side of History? No we aren't going to rename things and Erase History because people from hundreds of years ago are controversial today.

Nah; I prefer keeping the name, but changing who it's named after, as this county shows.

Republic of Astoria | Gwernaith Asdair | Šenvat Astoir | République d'Astorie
Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Diplomacy | FAQ | Question artist
Fri 30 April
✉ TV1 News: Labour Day celebrations to be at reduced capacity | Ideas, projects wanted for mobility award | 6 injured in accidents on Thursday | Weather: Liskerry ⛅ 4° | Altas ⛅ 3° | Esterpine ☀ 10° | Naltgybal ☁ 7° | Ceirtryn ☂ -1° | Bynscel ⛅ 7° | Lyteel ☁ 6° | Traffic: HR Rte 2: 5 min delays westbound

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1 | 10/10: DGES | Corruption index
⅐ Heptumvirate
User interest in worldbuilding dwindling due to self-conscious old shames.


User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59003
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:41 am

-Astoria- wrote:
Christian Confederation wrote:So we rename Washington to idk The State of Ginsburg after the late Justice, then what? Do we rename every county and High School named after Washington? Rename every Lee Street because Robert E Lee was on the wrong side of History? No we aren't going to rename things and Erase History because people from hundreds of years ago are controversial today.

Nah; I prefer keeping the name, but changing who it's named after, as this county shows.

That would be one way to do it. You could name it after Booker T Washington though I dont see why our first president shouldn't have a state named for him as well as the nations capital.

User avatar
Arlenton
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9233
Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:45 am

Slave owning racists founded this country. Of course we should name stuff after them.

User avatar
-Astoria-
Minister
 
Posts: 2332
Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria- » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:47 am

San Lumen wrote:
-Astoria- wrote:Nah; I prefer keeping the name, but changing who it's named after, as this county shows.

That would be one way to do it. You could name it after Booker T Washington though I dont see why our first president shouldn't have a state named for him as well as the nations capital.

At least formally rename it to DC so that no one has to have to put (state) any linger.

Republic of Astoria | Gwernaith Asdair | Šenvat Astoir | République d'Astorie
Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Diplomacy | FAQ | Question artist
Fri 30 April
✉ TV1 News: Labour Day celebrations to be at reduced capacity | Ideas, projects wanted for mobility award | 6 injured in accidents on Thursday | Weather: Liskerry ⛅ 4° | Altas ⛅ 3° | Esterpine ☀ 10° | Naltgybal ☁ 7° | Ceirtryn ☂ -1° | Bynscel ⛅ 7° | Lyteel ☁ 6° | Traffic: HR Rte 2: 5 min delays westbound

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1 | 10/10: DGES | Corruption index
⅐ Heptumvirate
User interest in worldbuilding dwindling due to self-conscious old shames.


User avatar
Cordel One
Senator
 
Posts: 4523
Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Cordel One » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:48 am

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Cordel One wrote:Careful there, that's some real Lost Causer energy

You think you're going to scare me by effectively calling me a racist. :roll: :roll: :roll:

None of that is true but ok
Leftie and brunch interrupter
Pro: leftism, the Paris Commune, neozapatism. communism, anarchism, Marxism, antifascism, choice, the environment, LGBTQ rights, minority rights, direct democracy, universal healthcare, open borders, labor unions, debating, my comrades

Anti: bourgeoisie, rightism, fascism, capitalism, liberalism, racism, sexism, xenophobia, the police, military industrial complex, imperialism, USA, PRC, overused talking points
Open to TGs - Please join my region the DankLeft Commune!

User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59003
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:50 am

-Astoria- wrote:
San Lumen wrote:That would be one way to do it. You could name it after Booker T Washington though I dont see why our first president shouldn't have a state named for him as well as the nations capital.

At least formally rename it to DC so that no one has to have to put (state) any linger.

Nah. I think the nation's capital should bear the name of our first president. Though proposals have been made to change District of Columbia to Douglass Commonwealth. I think that is an excellent idea. In the historic DC statehood bill which passed the House earlier this year it included a provision for that.
Last edited by San Lumen on Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Kathol Rift
Diplomat
 
Posts: 605
Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kathol Rift » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:51 am

No, it shouldn’t be renamed. George Washington was the first President, and without his leadership, this country probably wouldn’t exist today. I’m not saying he was all sunshine and rainbows, but we can’t just ignore history in favor of political correctness.
Just your average modernized Spartan-Viking-Samurai with robotic birds and big guns

Male, Caucasian, American, son of a cop, bisexual. Brother Fowles kind of Christian. I dislike both parties, give me healthcare and gun rights, damnit.

As the top of the sig says. Tier 3 Technocracy and Dominator military by The Pacific Standards. Major Commando insurrection bordering on civil war some minor civil unrest going on, no elite military force in rebellion.

User avatar
Grand Proudhonia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 597
Founded: Aug 23, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grand Proudhonia » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:56 am

Christian Confederation wrote:So we rename Washington to idk The State of Ginsburg after the late Justice, then what? Do we rename every county and High School named after Washington? Rename every Lee Street because Robert E Lee was on the wrong side of History? No we aren't going to rename things and Erase History because people from hundreds of years ago are controversial today.

Rename it Cascadia cause its cool
The Mutualist Society of Grand Proudhonia
"Property Is Theft, Property Is Liberty"

If you have any questions about Mutualist Political Philosophy, feel free to send me a telegram!

User avatar
The Reformed American Republic
Senator
 
Posts: 3860
Founded: May 23, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:01 am

Kathol Rift wrote:No, it shouldn’t be renamed. George Washington was the first President, and without his leadership, this country probably wouldn’t exist today. I’m not saying he was all sunshine and rainbows, but we can’t just ignore history in favor of political correctness.

I'm siging this, as people need to be reminded of this.

User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59003
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:02 am

Kathol Rift wrote:No, it shouldn’t be renamed. George Washington was the first President, and without his leadership, this country probably wouldn’t exist today. I’m not saying he was all sunshine and rainbows, but we can’t just ignore history in favor of political correctness.

I agree with this sentiment as well.

User avatar
-Astoria-
Minister
 
Posts: 2332
Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria- » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am

San Lumen wrote:
-Astoria- wrote:At least formally rename it to DC so that no one has to have to put (state) any linger.

Nah. I think the nation's capital should bear the name of our first president. Though proposals have been made to change District of Columbia to Douglass Commonwealth. I think that is an excellent idea. In the historic DC statehood bill which passed the House earlier this year it included a provision for that.

No, I don't think so - I mean, there's already a state after him; & what happens in the event that DC becomes a state? Will it still not be the same?

Republic of Astoria | Gwernaith Asdair | Šenvat Astoir | République d'Astorie
Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Diplomacy | FAQ | Question artist
Fri 30 April
✉ TV1 News: Labour Day celebrations to be at reduced capacity | Ideas, projects wanted for mobility award | 6 injured in accidents on Thursday | Weather: Liskerry ⛅ 4° | Altas ⛅ 3° | Esterpine ☀ 10° | Naltgybal ☁ 7° | Ceirtryn ☂ -1° | Bynscel ⛅ 7° | Lyteel ☁ 6° | Traffic: HR Rte 2: 5 min delays westbound

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1 | 10/10: DGES | Corruption index
⅐ Heptumvirate
User interest in worldbuilding dwindling due to self-conscious old shames.


User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59003
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:09 am

-Astoria- wrote:
San Lumen wrote:Nah. I think the nation's capital should bear the name of our first president. Though proposals have been made to change District of Columbia to Douglass Commonwealth. I think that is an excellent idea. In the historic DC statehood bill which passed the House earlier this year it included a provision for that.

No, I don't think so - I mean, there's already a state after him; & what happens in the event that DC becomes a state? Will it still not be the same?


It would be Washington, Douglass Commonwealth.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 145333
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ifreann » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:09 am

San Lumen wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:He never said slavery was good or OK. accepting slavery was a precondition of the south for replacing the articles of confederation with the constitution. The condition of slavery already existed prior to the constitution, without the guarantee of 20 years of no action on slavery written into it, we would have stayed under the articles of confederation.


Its upsetting how more people can't see this. The lack of knowledge regarding history upsets me as a historian.

It's pretty patronising of you to put this down to a lack of knowledge when I am directly addressing the historical facts you are talking about. I do not dispute that part of the reason that slavery was tolerated in the laws of the new American nation was that the support of wealthy slave owners was believed to be needed for that nation to survive. Why do you think that I don't know about that when I am directly referencing it? When I tell you that I don't care about inventing an alternate history where slavery was abolished and also America was still founded and still survived, that doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about, that means I don't care. You are arguing that the ends, America, justify the means, tolerance of race-based chattel slavery, and therefore the men responsible for that tolerance cannot today be condemned. I don't have to give you alternative means to reach that same end when I point out that that is what you are doing. But maybe you would like to further elaborate on just how that end justifies those means. Why is it that the existence of America is so important that slavery could be tolerated?


Christian Confederation wrote:So we rename Washington to idk The State of Ginsburg after the late Justice, then what? Do we rename every county and High School named after Washington? Rename every Lee Street because Robert E Lee was on the wrong side of History? No we aren't going to rename things and Erase History because people from hundreds of years ago are controversial today.

You say this as if renaming things would be some terrible fate for the nation to suffer.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Regular Thorough Handwashing For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Mask Wearing That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Social Distancing
He/Him

You've got a lonesome road to walk, and it ain't along the railroad track, and it ain't along the black-top tar you walked a hundred times before.
I'll tell you where the real road lies: between your ears, behind your eyes. That is the path to paradise, likewise the road to ruin.

User avatar
-Astoria-
Minister
 
Posts: 2332
Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby -Astoria- » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:10 am

San Lumen wrote:
-Astoria- wrote:No, I don't think so - I mean, there's already a state after him; & what happens in the event that DC becomes a state? Will it still not be the same?


It would be Washington, Douglass Commonwealth.

And its typical use? Washington, DC.
It does not aesthetically please.

Republic of Astoria | Gwernaith Asdair | Šenvat Astoir | République d'Astorie
Constitution | Bill of Rights | Anthem | Lyrics | Diplomacy | FAQ | Question artist
Fri 30 April
✉ TV1 News: Labour Day celebrations to be at reduced capacity | Ideas, projects wanted for mobility award | 6 injured in accidents on Thursday | Weather: Liskerry ⛅ 4° | Altas ⛅ 3° | Esterpine ☀ 10° | Naltgybal ☁ 7° | Ceirtryn ☂ -1° | Bynscel ⛅ 7° | Lyteel ☁ 6° | Traffic: HR Rte 2: 5 min delays westbound

A 7 civ | 9th in NSFB#1 | 10/10: DGES | Corruption index
⅐ Heptumvirate
User interest in worldbuilding dwindling due to self-conscious old shames.


User avatar
La xinga
Senator
 
Posts: 3886
Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La xinga » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:11 am

Okay, renaming everything with Washington for whatever reason will probably cause something bad. Maps, Newspaper Companies Titles, anything with Washington would cost A TON of money for the people with stuff with Washington.
He created everything, and he was forever and will always be. He is perfect and his word is always true. He will never change his word, and YOU would not be reading this signature if it was not for him to allow your eyes to see!
Average religious person. Nothing collided with nothing, the Almighty did everything, and the world is 5781 years old. Deal with it.
No, please don't argue! I'm innocent!

Yes, we may too, may all of us be innocent.

Unless you're not...

WAMP WAMP!
#KAG2020

If you support capitalism, put this in your signature.
Hi, The east pacific!
GLORIOUS AMERICANIUM IMPERIUM!
Creationist, pro-life, straight.
ALL LIVES MATTER!

Nation in TEP. Don't endorse me if I am over 400 endos. Still a long way to go!

User avatar
San Lumen
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 59003
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby San Lumen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:15 am

-Astoria- wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
It would be Washington, Douglass Commonwealth.

And its typical use? Washington, DC.
It does not aesthetically please.

I think its fine as is but renaming DC after Frederick Douglass I wholeheartedly support.

User avatar
Cordel One
Senator
 
Posts: 4523
Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Cordel One » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:16 am

San Lumen wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:He never said slavery was good or OK. accepting slavery was a precondition of the south for replacing the articles of confederation with the constitution. The condition of slavery already existed prior to the constitution, without the guarantee of 20 years of no action on slavery written into it, we would have stayed under the articles of confederation.


Its upsetting how more people can't see this. The lack of knowledge regarding history upsets me as a historian.

Just gonna drop this here because it's related and you never bothered responding
Cordel One wrote:
San Lumen wrote:Are you listening at all or would you rather push your far left ideology? Racist by todays standards back that it was not. Its not fair to apply todays standards to people from the 18th century.

What's racist doesn't change over time, it's always had the same meaning:
rac·ism
/ˈrāˌsizəm/
noun
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

Most people being racist does not make them not racist.
San Lumen wrote:Do you consider Lincoln to be a racist?

Uh yeah
Last edited by Cordel One on Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Leftie and brunch interrupter
Pro: leftism, the Paris Commune, neozapatism. communism, anarchism, Marxism, antifascism, choice, the environment, LGBTQ rights, minority rights, direct democracy, universal healthcare, open borders, labor unions, debating, my comrades

Anti: bourgeoisie, rightism, fascism, capitalism, liberalism, racism, sexism, xenophobia, the police, military industrial complex, imperialism, USA, PRC, overused talking points
Open to TGs - Please join my region the DankLeft Commune!

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 145333
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ifreann » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:17 am

La xinga wrote:Okay, renaming everything with Washington for whatever reason will probably cause something bad. Maps, Newspaper Companies Titles, anything with Washington would cost A TON of money for the people with stuff with Washington.

A lot of money relative to what ordinary people like you or I are ever likely to have available to us. Not so much to the people who would be doing those things.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Regular Thorough Handwashing For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Mask Wearing That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Social Distancing
He/Him

You've got a lonesome road to walk, and it ain't along the railroad track, and it ain't along the black-top tar you walked a hundred times before.
I'll tell you where the real road lies: between your ears, behind your eyes. That is the path to paradise, likewise the road to ruin.

User avatar
Auzkhia
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28454
Founded: Mar 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Auzkhia » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:22 am

Only if the people want to. But I don't know of any movement to change that state's name. However, what if we renamed some states to Jefferson and Lincoln? Idaho, Wyoming, and North Dakota could have been called that, and Colorado and Oregon could have been Jefferson.

Though it's not that big of a deal, since Washington, the US capital city, is officially called the District of Columbia and most people just say DC and its proposed state name is the Douglass Commonwealth.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alcala-Cordel, Borderlands of Rojava, Esalia, Fahran, Fartsniffage, G-Tech Corporation, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Grinning Dragon, Herzpunkt, Hurdergaryp, Immortan Khan, Kowani, Madrinpoor, Majestic-12 [Bot], Monsone, Muzehnaya, Nakena, Neanderthaland, North Washington Republic, San Lumen, SD_Film Artists, Senkaku, Souseiseki, Stellar Colonies, Tarsonis, TENNOHEIKA BANZAI NIHON, The Huskar Social Union, The Lone Alliance, The Reformed American Republic, Uiiop, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads