NATION

PASSWORD

Who’s the Boss? You’re the Boss!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Where do you sit?

The Corner Office
76%
Amidst the workers
24%

Total votes : 17

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Who’s the Boss? You’re the Boss!

Postby Infected Mushroom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:53 pm

Please consider the following hypothetical:

After 13 years of drudgery and files, office politics, dressing downs and backstabbings, dealing with trash clients, and being overworked half to death you’ve finally made it. The capitalistic dream of Success is coming true.

You’re a high ranking Manager at last, and not just any Manager, one of the true power players.

Aside from a few dictators from HQ, you run a huge part of the show at your office building now (You have about 50 other goons and lackeys). However, your power isn’t absolute, there’s a Nazi Germany style system where there’s unnecessary duplication of roles so you have 2 other (potentially 3) rival managers with de facto similar power levels and overlapping responsibilities with their own followers and lackeys. It’s messy and everyone is looking for an opportunity to shine at each other’s expense.

The power levels fluctuate on a weekly basis. On any given week, depending on what the big projects are and who looks better/leverages their position better... someone different may stand taller. It’s never quite clear or fixed (though the company remains hierarchical).

However, on paper, you’re the office Big Shot, allegedly you are supposed to represent the HQ and it’s all-powerful reach.

Now the question is this...

Do you take the Corner Office?

Ever since the 1900s... the Corner Office is a symbol of prestige, power, and domination at your office building. During the reign of the previous manager (who was booted out after he got double crossed during his own double cross against HQ), he lorded over the people from this physical position.

The Corner Office has an amazing unrivaled view of the cityscape and the ocean... there’s a high quality spinning chair along with other amazing furniture pieces. However, it’s greatest advantage is what it represents... Power, Glory, Success, and the ability to monitor everyone else. Historically, the large groups of treacherous and lowly employees cowered in terror because day in and day out, they never knew when The Corner Office was watching. Over various iterations of the Company, it’s become widely accepted that the person who sits in The Corner Office is someone you don’t REALLY want to mess with. You can plot against the office holder but you have to pay deference and formalities, be more circumspect... less he steps out and rains down thunderbolts.

One choice is to sit in the Corner Office and use its symbolism to your advantage, to maintain control over the workers and intimidate your rivals. This is one strategy.

The other choice is to adopt a Nordic Approach where you abolish the Corner Office and position yourself in the very middle of the building, amidst all the workers.

This is a strategy where you try to show the workers, “hey I’m your Boss, but I’m not BETTER than you. I work with you, come talk to me and we’ll work things out.” In other words, you are playing a Man of the People card (relative to your rivals). Keep in mind though that this is potentially dangerous because you may get overthrown, used, or betrayed by the ambitious lower rungs. Eliminating distance with the workers may also prove dangerous, they may get too comfortable and start stepping on you. Be careful. Keep in mind that the company is used to an adversarial model.

Assuming you do not wield enough power to simply mobilize a large group of followers and HQ allies and eliminate the rival departments (and assuming HQ said you can go Nordic, at least if you keep Delivering and don’t rock the status quo)... How do you position yourself?

Do you take the Corner Office or do you go Nordic?

In a hostile company culture, do you rule by fear and terror or do you try to position as a man of the people? And if you do the latter, to what extent are your actions motivated by genuine concern for the workers and to what extent By political expediency?

To clarify, assume this company is so powerful it influences world governments and cannot be overthrown. Also, you are a young career driven man/woman.

Let’s say you aren’t looking to switch companies (because that would mess things up). Assume unrivaled perks at this clown show.

I would take the Corner Office.

It takes too much social skills, awareness and energy to play the People game without getting caught in some trap and churned to death (metaphorically speaking). I’m strategically conservative so I’m such a hostile environment, I’d use the existing institutions to my advantage (The Corner Office). It’s still going to be hard but it’s a bit safer.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:58 pm

6 votes for the Corner Office?

No fans of the Nordic Way?

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:01 pm

Corner office, no question. I like my privacy, large spaces with mahogany coffee tables, and hopefully, I'd still treat everybody respectfully.

Strazhnist Tsarus
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 13, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strazhnist Tsarus » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:04 pm

Amidst the workers, so I can walk around the office, make sure everyone is at work and essentially lead at the frontlines.
~Factbook Directory~
qna
This nation is entirely in the Past Tense
1928 Tsarus, post-Strazhnist Revolution
4, 6, 8

Middle Barael
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Middle Barael » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:05 pm

Nordic approach. It’s gets lonely at the top corner office.
Pro: Environmentalism, fighting climate change, social democracy, co-ops, police reform, LGBTQ rights, abortions, separation of church and state, democracy, assault weapon ban, proportional representation, multi-party states, Two-State Solution, Israel AND Palestine, pacifism, immigration, Anti-Racism, NHS-type Healthcare, culture, science, multiculturalism, UN, EU

Anti: Environmental destruction, fossil fuels, Trump, Laissez-faire economy, communism, far-right, homophobia, “Pro-Life”, dictatorships, one/two-party systems, guns, Netanyahu, Israeli settlements, Hamas, Jihadism, war, racism, anti-immigration, nationalism, fascism, chauvinism,

8Values
Social: Very Progressive
Economic: Social
Civil: Liberal
Foreign: Internationalist

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:14 pm

Make every office a corner office.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:14 pm

Heloin wrote:Make every office a corner office.

Spotted the red.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:15 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Heloin wrote:Make every office a corner office.

Spotted the red.

I am the captain now. I shall make everyone equal.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:17 pm

Major-Tom wrote:Corner office, no question. I like my privacy, large spaces with mahogany coffee tables, and hopefully, I'd still treat everybody respectfully.

They sent me to company HQ once to teach zoom classes from the corner office. I was very impressed with the view, the spaciousness of the office, and all the fine displays.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:21 pm

I would say it depends on what industry it is. If you own a chain of bars/night clubs for example, and you do nothing but help manage it all- a corner office isn't that useful except for maybe a full time Accountant upstairs or offsite. You're going to be amongst the other workers and customers more in such a setting if it is inherently hands on or management heavy in terms of ensuring problems are minimal and money keeps coming in.
Last edited by Saiwania on Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Brettenwald
Senator

Founded: May 03, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Brettenwald » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:29 pm

Corner office with an open-door policy seems like a nice compromise.
BRETTENWALD
Factbook completion will occur when hell freezes over and this nation is basically what happens at 3 AM when I overdose on Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Game of Thrones. Trans rights or you're getting kneecapped.
Center-right largely-absolute monarchy populated by the majority-pagan descendants of a mix of Vikings, Iron Age German rednecks and the odd shipwreck survivor coming into its own on the world stage during the final stages of a 32-year watershed moment under the watchful eye of an emperor who was never supposed to be one. Strict MT, current year though lore posts are generally asynchronous. Brettain is a catchall demonym, flag waifu by Polish Prussian Commonwealth, NS stats not canon.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:36 pm

Neither, I construct a throne from the smelted together briefcases of my enemies. And reign from on high in the lunchroom.

All shall kneel before the mighty Ug! And receive refrigerator privileges!
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:18 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:Neither, I construct a throne from the smelted together briefcases of my enemies. And reign from on high in the lunchroom.

All shall kneel before the mighty Ug! And receive refrigerator privileges!

You can think of the Corner Office as the office building’s equivalent of the Westerosi Iron Throne.

Sometimes the real power lies elsewhere... Ex behind the throne, next to the throne, or even with the people but through it all... there’s a certain level of importance to who sits there

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General