NATION

PASSWORD

New compelling evidence of life on Venus

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Cameroi
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15618
Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby Cameroi » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:24 pm

not exactly compelling, but it IS the most interesting thing we've heard about the place in a long time.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

User avatar
La Paz de Los Ricos
Diplomat
 
Posts: 579
Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:26 pm

Auristania wrote:Welcome to our Microbial over Lords!


And what are they gonna do, multiply on me?
Hey Ron.

Hey Billy!


...


That hurt...

User avatar
The Blaatschapen
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 55811
Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:40 pm

Sailors fighting in the dance hall
Oh man! Look at those cavemen go
It's the freakiest show
Take a look at the lawman
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
He's in the best selling show
Is there life on Venus?
Forumer mod, now a rocker mocker. Thank you Ringo
Heaven is other people
Behind the invisible hand of the market hides the iron fist of the state.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect - Mark Twain
Silent is an anagram of listen.
Male. Please address me as 'he'.
Blaat - all fluff, all action
This is the 8th line. If your sig is longer than mine, it is too long.

User avatar
Atheris
Minister
 
Posts: 2423
Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Atheris » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:06 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:Sailors fighting in the dance hall
Oh man! Look at those cavemen go
It's the freakiest show
Take a look at the lawman
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
He's in the best selling show
Is there life on Venus?

Well, men are from Mars, women are from Venus...
Kannap wrote:It is I, the stranger in the night who cuts the power lines with hedge clippers
Ceranapis wrote:"Who needs a country when you can write Ace Attorney fan fiction?"
ema skye is the best AA character i love her so much
Nouveau Quebecois did nothing wrong!
The self-proclaimed Resident Shitposter of NSG.
Ace/aro. Cis he/him. Trans ally. ADHD, autistic-like brain.
"To comment is human, to preview, divine." - Godot
Orthodox Preterist Lutheran Christian.
I write AA fanfiction. Fuck you if you judge me.
WA RP nation: Union of Sovereign States and Republics

User avatar
Kowani
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24058
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:07 pm

La Paz de Los Ricos wrote:
Auristania wrote:Welcome to our Microbial over Lords!


And what are they gonna do, multiply on me?

Nice lungs you have there. Be a shame if someone were to...infect them.
Spanish -AmericanAtheist.
“The time has come to call evil out as evil, and we shall not apologize for naming brutality.”
NSG's resident data enthusiast.
Eppur si muove.


Telconi wrote:Every once in a while Kowani does have a decent point.

User avatar
Atheris
Minister
 
Posts: 2423
Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Atheris » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:09 pm

Kowani wrote:
La Paz de Los Ricos wrote:
And what are they gonna do, multiply on me?

Nice lungs you have there. Be a shame if someone were to...infect them.

SPACE COVID! Space COVID! space COVID, space covid...
Kannap wrote:It is I, the stranger in the night who cuts the power lines with hedge clippers
Ceranapis wrote:"Who needs a country when you can write Ace Attorney fan fiction?"
ema skye is the best AA character i love her so much
Nouveau Quebecois did nothing wrong!
The self-proclaimed Resident Shitposter of NSG.
Ace/aro. Cis he/him. Trans ally. ADHD, autistic-like brain.
"To comment is human, to preview, divine." - Godot
Orthodox Preterist Lutheran Christian.
I write AA fanfiction. Fuck you if you judge me.
WA RP nation: Union of Sovereign States and Republics

User avatar
Kowani
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24058
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:20 pm

Atheris wrote:
Kowani wrote:Nice lungs you have there. Be a shame if someone were to...infect them.

SPACE COVID! Space COVID! space COVID, space covid...

I see you peeked at the script for 2021.
Spanish -AmericanAtheist.
“The time has come to call evil out as evil, and we shall not apologize for naming brutality.”
NSG's resident data enthusiast.
Eppur si muove.


Telconi wrote:Every once in a while Kowani does have a decent point.

User avatar
Diarcesia
Minister
 
Posts: 2655
Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:22 pm

Kowani wrote:
Atheris wrote:SPACE COVID! Space COVID! space COVID, space covid...

I see you peeked at the script for 2021.

Don't worry. I heard Venus is less toxic than NSG.
Factbooks | Economic Liaison | Maintenance
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Leo "the Wise"?
I thought not. It’s not a story the Byzantines would tell you. It’s a romantic legend.
bespoke and goldpilled

User avatar
US-SSR
Minister
 
Posts: 2124
Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby US-SSR » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:32 pm

I'll reserve judgment until we can exclude nonorganic phosphene production under extreme conditions we understand only in part, thank you all the same.
8:46

No, I don't take responsibility at all! Person, woman, man, camera, TV!

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

User avatar
Atheris
Minister
 
Posts: 2423
Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Atheris » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:34 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Kowani wrote:I see you peeked at the script for 2021.

Don't worry. I heard Venus is less toxic than NSG.

That's fucking great. You, my friend, get framed on the Awesome Quotes Thread.
Kannap wrote:It is I, the stranger in the night who cuts the power lines with hedge clippers
Ceranapis wrote:"Who needs a country when you can write Ace Attorney fan fiction?"
ema skye is the best AA character i love her so much
Nouveau Quebecois did nothing wrong!
The self-proclaimed Resident Shitposter of NSG.
Ace/aro. Cis he/him. Trans ally. ADHD, autistic-like brain.
"To comment is human, to preview, divine." - Godot
Orthodox Preterist Lutheran Christian.
I write AA fanfiction. Fuck you if you judge me.
WA RP nation: Union of Sovereign States and Republics

User avatar
Free Ravensburg
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 150
Founded: Jun 01, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Free Ravensburg » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:35 pm

Image
NS Stats irrelevant
INT:|Teutonia and Lithuania in negotiations on Memel Province  | Karen arrested for causing California Wildfires | Galicia declares independence from Ukraine after ultimatum / NAT:| Flag Redesign in process, public unhappy with previous F7 posts saying monarchy | Viktor Leimstag releases military info
Part of a Multiverse I started in Grade School
We still outpizza the Hut

User avatar
Kowani
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 24058
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:37 pm

US-SSR wrote:I'll reserve judgment until we can exclude nonorganic phosphene production under extreme conditions we understand only in part, thank you all the same.

From the NatGeo article: 'The study team set out to determine whether phosphine could be made on Venus in the absence of biology. Among the scenarios the scientists investigated were volcanic outgassing, intense lightning strikes, tectonic plates rubbing together, bismuth rain, and cosmic dust. Based on the team’s calculations, none of those events could produce the molecule in such abundance."
Spanish -AmericanAtheist.
“The time has come to call evil out as evil, and we shall not apologize for naming brutality.”
NSG's resident data enthusiast.
Eppur si muove.


Telconi wrote:Every once in a while Kowani does have a decent point.

User avatar
Brinckerhoff
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 17
Founded: Jun 27, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Brinckerhoff » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:40 pm

STOP TELLING ME THERE'S NO VENEREAL BACTERIA
I have felt it myself!

Nilokeras wrote:Evidence of unknown chemistry isn't necesarily evidence of life - a lot of planetary astronomers and biogeochemistry people I've seen on twitter hesitate to draw too strong of conclusions from this because phosphine is so comparatively simple. If we found signatures of long-chain hydrocarbons or other complex molecules that would be better evidence since they would require some similarly complex process (relatively speaking) to generate them continuously.

User avatar
La Paz de Los Ricos
Diplomat
 
Posts: 579
Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:41 pm

Atheris wrote:
Kowani wrote:Nice lungs you have there. Be a shame if someone were to...infect them.

SPACE COVID! Space COVID! space COVID, space covid...


Where the hell is the FFFFFFFT god-mod eight-dimensional space empire this site told me would keep Earth safe at all times?
Hey Ron.

Hey Billy!


...


That hurt...

User avatar
Aureumterra
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8511
Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Aureumterra » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:42 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Kowani wrote:I see you peeked at the script for 2021.

Don't worry. I heard Venus is less toxic than NSG.

Not a very high bar :p
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

User avatar
US-SSR
Minister
 
Posts: 2124
Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby US-SSR » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:45 pm

Kowani wrote:
US-SSR wrote:I'll reserve judgment until we can exclude nonorganic phosphene production under extreme conditions we understand only in part, thank you all the same.

From the NatGeo article: 'The study team set out to determine whether phosphine could be made on Venus in the absence of biology. Among the scenarios the scientists investigated were volcanic outgassing, intense lightning strikes, tectonic plates rubbing together, bismuth rain, and cosmic dust. Based on the team’s calculations, none of those events could produce the molecule in such abundance."


Holla back when their results are reproducible. Because science. Or iow this:

Nilokeras wrote:Evidence of unknown chemistry isn't necesarily evidence of life - a lot of planetary astronomers and biogeochemistry people I've seen on twitter hesitate to draw too strong of conclusions from this because phosphine is so comparatively simple. If we found signatures of long-chain hydrocarbons or other complex molecules that would be better evidence since they would require some similarly complex process (relatively speaking) to generate them continuously.
Last edited by US-SSR on Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
8:46

No, I don't take responsibility at all! Person, woman, man, camera, TV!

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

User avatar
Valrifell
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27179
Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Valrifell » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:46 pm

US-SSR wrote:
Kowani wrote:From the NatGeo article: 'The study team set out to determine whether phosphine could be made on Venus in the absence of biology. Among the scenarios the scientists investigated were volcanic outgassing, intense lightning strikes, tectonic plates rubbing together, bismuth rain, and cosmic dust. Based on the team’s calculations, none of those events could produce the molecule in such abundance."


Holla back when their results are reproducible. Because science.


Not to be pedantic (but I'm going to be pedantic), but what the scientists did doesn't yield "results" in the sense that an observation isn't an experiment with predicable results. What we want is their observations to be repeatable with different instruments, or even the same instrument at a different time.
Sint Musis socii Charites, Furia omnis abesto

User avatar
Neanderthaland
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6369
Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:48 pm

Valrifell wrote:
US-SSR wrote:
Holla back when their results are reproducible. Because science.


Not to be pedantic (but I'm going to be pedantic), but what the scientists did doesn't yield "results" in the sense that an observation isn't an experiment with predicable results. What we want is their observations to be repeatable with different instruments, or even the same instrument at a different time.

And to the extent that the result is measurable, it already has been reproduced. When the observatory in Hawaii that detected the phosphine noticed their results, the first then they did was ask other observatories to confirm their finding. Which they did.
Last edited by Neanderthaland on Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

User avatar
Valrifell
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27179
Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Valrifell » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:53 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
Not to be pedantic (but I'm going to be pedantic), but what the scientists did doesn't yield "results" in the sense that an observation isn't an experiment with predicable results. What we want is their observations to be repeatable with different instruments, or even the same instrument at a different time.

And to the extent that the result is measurable, it already has been reproduced. When the observatory in Hawaii that detected the phosphine noticed their results, the first then they did was ask other observatories to confirm their finding. Which they did.


Of course, what good scientists.
Sint Musis socii Charites, Furia omnis abesto

User avatar
Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12323
Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:23 pm

Kowani wrote:
US-SSR wrote:I'll reserve judgment until we can exclude nonorganic phosphene production under extreme conditions we understand only in part, thank you all the same.

From the NatGeo article: 'The study team set out to determine whether phosphine could be made on Venus in the absence of biology. Among the scenarios the scientists investigated were volcanic outgassing, intense lightning strikes, tectonic plates rubbing together, bismuth rain, and cosmic dust. Based on the team’s calculations, none of those events could produce the molecule in such abundance."

OK, none of those events could produce phosphine. That doesn't mean the only remaining choice is biology, it means that they've ruled out those possibilities. (Assuming they haven't screwed up their analyses, of course.)

I'm not sure of the specific fallacy people saying "...and therefore life!" are committing, but it's somesort of inductive fallacy or appeal to ignorance. "It's not A, it's not B, it's not C, and so it must be Z!", excluding other choices, including unknown/undiscovered possibilities, is bogus reasoning.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 106616
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:23 pm

Aliens.
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Diarcesia
Minister
 
Posts: 2655
Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:31 pm

My gut feeling says that they're microbes. I'll be more let down that they're not really extraterrestrial but brought in by our probes.
Factbooks | Economic Liaison | Maintenance
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Leo "the Wise"?
I thought not. It’s not a story the Byzantines would tell you. It’s a romantic legend.
bespoke and goldpilled

User avatar
TURTLESHROOM II
Minister
 
Posts: 3403
Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:31 pm

The miracles of God's Creation unfold before us. We should invest in an investigation of this and an expedition into the Venetian atmosphere. If this is true, and they have found microbes on Venus, it will be the discovery of the ages. This is thrilling to me, and I hope it captures the wonder of others on here.

Venus was an odd candidate, but there are airborne microbes on the earth, and storms do produce enough power to hold things aloft for a long time (this is how hailstones form). As Venus is permanently clouded and has a thick atmosphere, it could be possible for some sort of creature to permanently float in the air.

The allegation that phosphine has spawned on Venus is not something that can easily be tracked with our current space infrastructure. To my knowledge, there are no permanent satellites around Venus, or any major access points to the earth's Evil Twin. Obviously, as the Cold War taught us, any probe that lands on Venus dies. In order to prove that phosphine is present, we would have to actually sample Venus' atmosphere.

Still, if phosphine is an indicator of life, then this opens Venus up to the possibility of life on the planet. That is astounding in its own right.
Jesus loves you and died for you!
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

The Selkie wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 9/11/2020 AD):

Government announces finalization of Internet backbone and anti-porn protocols, Internet to be reinstated by end of year -|- Virginio Orsini-Borgia arrives to petition the Crown -|- TS has perfected hydrogen bomb, anonymous source claims

User avatar
TURTLESHROOM II
Minister
 
Posts: 3403
Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby TURTLESHROOM II » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:34 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:Aliens.


Diarcesia wrote:My gut feeling says that they're microbes. I'll be more let down that they're not really extraterrestrial but brought in by our probes.


Dude, that would be stunning in and of itself! A probe hasn't landed on Venus in forty years. We would have seeded a celestial body!
Jesus loves you and died for you!
CM wrote:Have I reached peak enlightened centrism yet? I'm getting chills just thinking about taking an actual position.

Proctopeo wrote:anarcho-von habsburgism

The Selkie wrote:"Tengri's balls, [do] boys really never grow up?!"
Nuroblav wrote:On the contrary! Seize the means of ROBOT ARMS!
News ticker (updated 9/11/2020 AD):

Government announces finalization of Internet backbone and anti-porn protocols, Internet to be reinstated by end of year -|- Virginio Orsini-Borgia arrives to petition the Crown -|- TS has perfected hydrogen bomb, anonymous source claims

User avatar
Kiu Ghesik
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 458
Founded: Aug 25, 2020
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Kiu Ghesik » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:34 pm

Diarcesia wrote:My gut feeling says that they're microbes. I'll be more let down that they're not really extraterrestrial but brought in by our probes.

This. Do you think the Soviets could be bothered to sterilize the goddamn shotgun blast of probes they launched at Venus? I think not. Bet $20 it's just a bunch of Venera hitchhiker microbes.
Last edited by Kiu Ghesik on Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our foreign policy: Надад мөнгөө өг
more factbooks some days
Here's an overview!
And the leader!
I'm Outer Acharet's
alt account!
Tell me you said hi
next time you see me!

A nation of Bronze Age nomads trying to get by in a time of rising empires.
(Or angry horsemen, you choose)
NS Stats run through by a cavalry charge.
-The Mother -loves the Children -of Ghes.-
Other nations I run: Outer AcharetMiranda-22
People who disrespected our foreign policy: 8

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Great Confederacy of Commonwealth States, Majestic-12 [Bot], South Odreria 2, Vassenor, Vistulange

Advertisement

Remove ads