NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (POLL 4) A compromising position...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What would you consider to be the best 'compromise'?

Reduce abortions with welfare supports / other non-invasive measures, leave access untouched.
33%
Set conditions under which abortions can be accessed.
21%
Allow free access, under a given time limit.
9%
Allow free access, but give men an option to excuse themselves from child support.
10%
HELL WITH COMPROMISE, IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!
21%
Look out! They're here! Pink Elephants on Parade! Here they come, hippity hoppity!
5%

Total votes : 401

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:02 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Kexholm Karelia wrote:A splinter isn’t a living thing in the same sense a dead body isn’t a living thing. A splinter on its own cannot copy and reproduce its own DNA and undergo cell mitosis the way a fetus does.

neither can a fetus out of a womb so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is just false, not to mention abortion survivors
Right wing conservative
Media is the enemy of the people
CCP delenda est
orange man bad. diversity is our strength. real communism hasn’t been tried yet. the hong kong protestors are paid by the cia. antifa protestors are good, hong kong protestors are american bootlickers. China is a better alternative to America. uyghur genocide isn’t real, and it is western propaganda. Trump should not have killed Soleimani. gender is a social construct invented by white supremacists.

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:06 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Kexholm Karelia wrote:Not at all, a fetus is a premature human, just like how a joey is a premature kangaroo, yet both the fetus and the joey are alive

Parasites are alive too.

A fetus isn’t a parasite, however
Right wing conservative
CCP delenda est
orange man bad. diversity is our strength. real communism hasn’t been tried yet. the hong kong protestors are paid by the cia. antifa protestors are good, hong kong protestors are american bootlickers. China is a better alternative to America. uyghur genocide isn’t real, and it is western propaganda. Trump should not have killed Soleimani. gender is a social construct invented by white supremacists.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:07 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:So? Does it have to be attacking anyone? A splinter gets in your finger through no fault of its own but like, if you don't want that shit in there bc it causes your body Problems well my guy it's your right to get it out lol

A splinter isn’t a living thing, a fetus is

No, it's not. A fetus is nothing but a cluster of cells. They can't even feel nor register pain nor external stimuli until the third trimester, where the bar for abortion in most states and countries (IIRC) is before.

If aborting fetuses is murder, then I must be a war criminal with all the dry skin I scratch off whenever I get itchy. Cells are still living things, after all.

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Parasites are alive too.

A fetus isn't a parasite, however

By definition, it is. In practice it's more similar to a symbiote, but that's really just semantics. I don't think Necroghastia was calling a fetus a parasite, though.
Last edited by Atheris on Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:08 pm

I will state that the position of some churches forbidding it even when it's done to save a mother's life is far too extreme. The position of the OCA is that it can be allowed in such circumstances, though it's prohibited in all others.
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:10 pm

Atheris wrote:
Kexholm Karelia wrote:A splinter isn’t a living thing, a fetus is

No, it's not. A fetus is nothing but a cluster of cells. They can't even feel nor register pain nor external stimuli until the third trimester, where the bar for abortion in most states and countries (IIRC) is before.

If aborting fetuses is murder, then I must be a war criminal with all the dry skin I scratch off whenever I get itchy. Cells are still living things, after all.

See the post on the last page
Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Science was never my subject, so I default to the scientists' view in regards to scientific stuff.

Most of those guys seem to agree that fetuses aren't alive tho

Let’s see… here are the ten accepted characteristics of a living organism

1. Cells and DNA
Check

2. Metabolic Action
Check

3. Internal Environment Changes
Check

4. Living Organisms Grow
Check

5. The Art of Reproduction
Check, see earlier source showing identifiable ovaries and other sexual organs on fetuses

6. Ability to Adapt
Check

7. Ability to Interact
Check

8. The Process of Respiration
Check

9. Living Creatures Move
Check

10. Cell Mitosis
Check
Right wing conservative
CCP delenda est

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:12 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Parasites are alive too.

A fetus isn’t a parasite, however

No, but they have some important behavioral similarities.

Anyways-- even if we accept your dogma of full fetal personhood (which, to be clear, I don't), and apply the principle of avoiding killing any humans, that still doesn't bring us to a blanket ban on abortion, because such a ban would just amount to killing an alternative group of women and girls (and still some fetuses) instead of killing the fetuses that would've otherwise been aborted.

The Marlborough wrote:I will state that the position of some churches forbidding it even when it's done to save a mother's life is far too extreme. The position of the OCA is that it can be allowed in such circumstances, though it's prohibited in all others.

I still don't agree, but the arguments for why that's too restrictive is at least a completely different one, and I can accept that such a position is at least in good faith (as opposed to KK's "just kill these ones instead of those ones" nonsense, backstopped by random bullshit about brain waves).
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:12 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:neither can a fetus out of a womb so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is just false, not to mention abortion survivors

Let's look at the numbers that have been used in the thread on previous occasions. When the vast majority of abortions are performed the odds of survival are negligible. About 90% of abortions are performed at 12 weeks or before. Less than 2% of abortions take place after 20 weeks. It's only at the 24th week that the fetus has a 50/50 chance of survival. Before that time the chances of survival drop like a stone.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Marlborough
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:12 pm

Atheris wrote:
Kexholm Karelia wrote:A splinter isn’t a living thing, a fetus is

No, it's not. A fetus is nothing but a cluster of cells.

Which would make it a living thing. And I mean, all humans are just clusters of cells.
Last edited by The Marlborough on Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:13 pm

The Marlborough wrote:
Atheris wrote:No, it's not. A fetus is nothing but a cluster of cells.

Which would make it a living thing. And I mean, all humans are just clusters of cells.

Well not necessarily, there are some things that a cluster of cells has to do to be considered alive. Fetuses, however, do all of these things
Right wing conservative
CCP delenda est

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:15 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Atheris wrote:No, it's not. A fetus is nothing but a cluster of cells. They can't even feel nor register pain nor external stimuli until the third trimester, where the bar for abortion in most states and countries (IIRC) is before.

See the post on the last page
Kexholm Karelia wrote:Let’s see… here are the ten accepted characteristics of a living organism

1. Cells and DNA
Check

2. Metabolic Action
Check

3. Internal Environment Changes
Check

4. Living Organisms Grow
Check

5. The Art of Reproduction
Check, see earlier source showing identifiable ovaries and other sexual organs on fetuses

6. Ability to Adapt
Check

7. Ability to Interact
Check

8. The Process of Respiration
Check

9. Living Creatures Move
Check

10. Cell Mitosis
Check

Fetuses can not sexually reproduce and don't breathe.

healthline.com wrote:Babies don't breathe in the womb as we understand “breathing.” Instead, babies rely on their mother's breathing to receive oxygen to their developing organs. After nine months of growing inside of a mother's body, a baby undergoes a complicated physical transition as they exit the womb. Research shows this transition is one of the most intricate things our body will ever do. While babies “practice” breathing in utero, their lungs aren’t used for breathing until they take their first breath outside the womb.

medlineplus.gov wrote:The mother's placenta helps the baby "breathe" while it is growing in the womb. Oxygen and carbon dioxide flow through the blood in the placenta. Most of it goes to the heart and flows through the baby's body. At birth, the baby's lungs are filled with fluid.

abclawcenters.com wrote:Babies do not exactly “breathe” in the womb; at least not by inhaling air they way they do after delivery. Instead, oxygen travels through the mother’s lungs, heart, vasculature, uterus, and placenta, finally making its way through the umbilical cord and into the fetus.

Fetuses do not interact with the environment in the first trimester and only in very limited ways in the second trimester, only becoming aware of their surroundings around the third trimester; after the abortion period has passed for many countries.

Fetal Behavioural Responses to Maternal Voice and Touch by Viola Marx* and Emese Nagy wrote:Results showed that fetuses displayed more arm, head, and mouth movements when the mother touched her abdomen and decreased their arm and head movements to maternal voice. Fetuses in the 3rd trimester showed increased regulatory (yawning), resting (arms crossed) and self-touch (hands touching the body) responses to the stimuli when compared to fetuses in the 2nd trimester.
Last edited by Atheris on Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.

Echo Chamber Thought Police
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 25, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:18 pm

Atheris wrote:
Kexholm Karelia wrote:See the post on the last page

Fetuses can not sexually reproduce and don't breathe.

healthline.com wrote:Babies don't breathe in the womb as we understand “breathing.” Instead, babies rely on their mother's breathing to receive oxygen to their developing organs. After nine months of growing inside of a mother's body, a baby undergoes a complicated physical transition as they exit the womb.

Babies don't breathe in the womb as we understand “breathing.” Instead, babies rely on their mother's breathing to receive oxygen to their developing organs. After nine months of growing inside of a mother's body, a baby undergoes a complicated physical transition as they exit the womb.

medlineplus.gov wrote:The mother's placenta helps the baby "breathe" while it is growing in the womb. Oxygen and carbon dioxide flow through the blood in the placenta. Most of it goes to the heart and flows through the baby's body. At birth, the baby's lungs are filled with fluid.

abclawcenters.com wrote:Babies do not exactly “breathe” in the womb; at least not by inhaling air they way they do after delivery. Instead, oxygen travels through the mother’s lungs, heart, vasculature, uterus, and placenta, finally making its way through the umbilical cord and into the fetus.

Fetuses do not interact with the environment in the first trimester and only in very limited ways in the second trimester, only becoming aware of their surroundings around the third trimester; after the abortion period has passed for many countries.

Fetal Behavioural Responses to Maternal Voice and Touch by Viola Marx* and Emese Nagy wrote:Results showed that fetuses displayed more arm, head, and mouth movements when the mother touched her abdomen and decreased their arm and head movements to maternal voice. Fetuses in the 3rd trimester showed increased regulatory (yawning), resting (arms crossed) and self-touch (hands touching the body) responses to the stimuli when compared to fetuses in the 2nd trimester.

So this means kids aren't people?

Before puberty kids can't sexually reproduce.
Add circa 10,000 posts on to current account, founded May 14th 2018. Agarntrop is other account.
LOHG: A UK-based political RP
OCCUPY THE HEDGEFUNDS - INVEST IN GAMESTOP
Left-leaning Social Democrat
You Have No Authority Here, Jackie Weaver

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:19 pm

The Marlborough wrote:
Atheris wrote:No, it's not. A fetus is nothing but a cluster of cells.

Not necessarily. Cork stoppers have cells in them but they're not alive.
#FreeNSGRojava

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:19 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
The Marlborough wrote:Which would make it a living thing. And I mean, all humans are just clusters of cells.

Well not necessarily, there are some things that a cluster of cells has to do to be considered alive. Fetuses, however, do all of these things

Ehhhh. They don't maintain homeostasis themselves or regulate food and waste intake and outflow, their mother does that; they will eventually be able to reproduce once they leave the womb and mature but saying they can reproduce seems sorta iffy; they have pretty minimal ability to interact with their environment, they at least respond to some stimuli but it's still sort of questionable.

They're the same species and they're not actively attacking the mother, so they're not formally parasites, but like... calling them fully alive seems weird from a formal perspective until they unhook from mom's power supply.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:19 pm

Echo Chamber Thought Police wrote:
Atheris wrote:Fetuses can not sexually reproduce and don't breathe.

So this means kids aren't people?

Before puberty kids can't sexually reproduce.

Ask KK, he made the point.
#FreeNSGRojava

The Marlborough
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:19 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
The Marlborough wrote:Which would make it a living thing. And I mean, all humans are just clusters of cells.

True, but I assumed they weren't talking about a cluster of dead cells since cells are the fundamental building block of life and in of themselves said cells would be alive. That they have yet to form into a true multicellular organism is true of the zygote phase of development (and zygotes are still living). A fetus however has already progressed into a being a multicellular organism.

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:20 pm

Fetuses, however, have sexual organs, and that constitutes as potential to reproduce, which is really all that matters since then a prepubescent child would be considered not alive as well. As for breathing, they still do it, just not in the way out of womb humans do. Cell respiration is a form of breathing, and that’s exactly what a fetus does.
Right wing conservative
CCP delenda est

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:22 pm

Atheris wrote:

Cork cells aren’t alive, they don’t undergo cell respiration
Right wing conservative
CCP delenda est

The Marlborough
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:22 pm

Atheris wrote:

Yeah because they are dead. Fetuses aren't dead and then become magically alive.

Atheris
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:24 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:

Fetuses, however, have sexual organs, and that constitutes as potential to reproduce, which is really all that matters since then a prepubescent child would be considered not alive as well. As for breathing, they still do it, just not in the way out of womb humans do. Cell respiration is a form of breathing, and that’s exactly what a fetus does.

(Male) Fetuses do not develop sexual organs until around 26 weeks of pregnancy; after the first and second trimester and roughly 96% of abortions.

CDC wrote:8-92% of all abortions happen during the first trimester, prior to the 13th week of gestation (AGI/CDC).

acog.org wrote:and 4.0% took place at 16 weeks of gestation or later

whattoexpect.com wrote:Between week 7 and week 12 of pregnancy, the foundations of your baby’s sex organs develop. At about week 9, a baby boy’s genitals begin the process of becoming male. The genital ridge starts lengthening around week 9 to form the penis. The penis and clitoris, however, actually remain the same size until about 14 weeks. In your baby boy, buds that will become the prostate appear around 10 weeks. Your baby’s urinary system is fully formed by about 14 weeks. Testicles will begin descending in week 26, while baby’s penis grows the most during the third trimester.

Emphasis mine.
Last edited by Atheris on Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#FreeNSGRojava

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:24 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:

Fetuses, however, have sexual organs

No, not completely until about 20+ weeks. And a reminder that only 2% of abortions take place after that point.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

The Marlborough
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:31 pm

What is meant by reproduction in this sense is the ability for the cells of the organism to reproduce themselves in order for the organism to grow and keep living. Which applies to fetuses. If we're using the presence of viable genitalia/fertility as a threshold for when a human is living then no person with cloacal exstrophy or was just in general infertile would be considered alive which would be blatantly retarded.

The Marlborough
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:37 pm

There are actually sacks of potatoes with higher levels of intelligence than some of the arguments presented ITT the past couple of pages, jfc.

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:41 pm

The Marlborough wrote:There are actually sacks of potatoes with higher levels of intelligence than some of the arguments presented ITT the past couple of pages, jfc.

I don’t think its lack of intelligence, just misinformation that’s spread and become a staple in media due to the influence of the pro abortion lobby. Many people don’t realize how much lobbying is done by these groups
Right wing conservative
CCP delenda est

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:44 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:I don’t think its lack of intelligence, just misinformation that’s spread and become a staple in media due to the influence of the pro abortion lobby. Many people don’t realize how much lobbying is done by these groups

I've given you numbers which you have ignored, as well as an earlier point that you ignored, so...

Wave on, wave on

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:44 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
The Marlborough wrote:There are actually sacks of potatoes with higher levels of intelligence than some of the arguments presented ITT the past couple of pages, jfc.

I don’t think its lack of intelligence, just misinformation that’s spread and become a staple in media due to the influence of the pro abortion lobby. Many people don’t realize how much lobbying is done by these groups

Misinformation like...?
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General