NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (POLL 4) A compromising position...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What would you consider to be the best 'compromise'?

Reduce abortions with welfare supports / other non-invasive measures, leave access untouched.
33%
Set conditions under which abortions can be accessed.
21%
Allow free access, under a given time limit.
9%
Allow free access, but give men an option to excuse themselves from child support.
10%
HELL WITH COMPROMISE, IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!
21%
Look out! They're here! Pink Elephants on Parade! Here they come, hippity hoppity!
5%

Total votes : 401

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:49 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Godular wrote:
Welp, guess she should just let the rapist finish then! Better she become a mother against her will than kill another person in self-defense!

#fuckthatnoise

What do you mean? Why would you approve of rape? Neither rape or anyone's killing is ideal.

It's calling out your appalling views on "Life."
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:17 am

New haven america wrote:
Sundiata wrote:What do you mean? Why would you approve of rape? Neither rape or anyone's killing is ideal.

It's calling out your appalling views on "Life."

I already read it all; it's fine.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:29 pm

Sundiata wrote:
New haven america wrote:It's calling out your appalling views on "Life."

It really ain't friendo.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:00 pm

Sundiata wrote:
New haven america wrote:It's calling out your appalling views on "Life."

No rape is not 'fine'.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:44 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Sundiata wrote:I already read it all; it's fine.

No rape is not 'fine'.

That's what I've been saying this whole time.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:05 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Genivaria wrote:No rape is not 'fine'.

That's what I've been saying this whole time.

You? Unlikely, you don't seem to care about consent at all.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:17 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Sundiata wrote:That's what I've been saying this whole time.

You? Unlikely, you don't seem to care about consent at all.

I don't consent to the killing of the most vulnerable human beings.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:20 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Genivaria wrote:You? Unlikely, you don't seem to care about consent at all.

Consent applies to people involved, you have no right to force yourself into the situation and deny people the right to an abortion.

And again, fetuses aren't people.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:30 pm

Sundiata wrote:

You think its your place to consent for other people? Not helping your case.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:32 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
Sundiata wrote:I don't consent to the killing of the most vulnerable human beings.

Consent applies to people involved, you have no right to force yourself into the situation and deny people the right to an abortion.

He honestly makes me thing of the horribly cringy "Myth of Consensual Sex" Christian meme.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 94/dc8.jpg

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:34 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:Consent applies to people involved, you have no right to force yourself into the situation and deny people the right to an abortion.

He honestly makes me thing of the horribly cringy "Myth of Consensual Sex" Christian meme.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 94/dc8.jpg

>Wildly assuming Jesus would give a fuck about two people making love to eachother
Is this hubris?
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:08 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Sundiata wrote:I don't consent to the killing of the most vulnerable human beings.

You think its your place to consent for other people? Not helping your case.

It's the place of everyone of good will to stop homicide.
Last edited by Sundiata on Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:38 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Genivaria wrote:You think its your place to consent for other people? Not helping your case.

It's my place of everyone of good will to stop homicide.

It's my place of everyone of good will to stop unnecessary suffering.
Last edited by Thepeopl on Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:50 pm

Sundiata wrote:

Trying to say you have the capacity of consent for others isn't a good look.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:09 am

Sundiata wrote:

And these "most vulnerable" fetuses don't consent to you rescuing them. Because they can't consent. To anything. Because they literally have no thoughts and no awareness.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:14 am

Sundiata wrote:
Genivaria wrote:You think its your place to consent for other people? Not helping your case.

It's my place of everyone of good will to stop homicide.

Do you appose physician assisted suicide?
What about removing life support for the brain dead?

Both of those could be termed homicide with the involved parties consenting or unable to consent.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:29 am

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Elwher wrote:
Personally, I agree with that. My main objection is that this should be a matter to be settled in the individual states and not on a Federal level at all. Therefore, I support the Texas law and being representative of what Texas believes and the New York laws as being representative of what New York believes.

I do have to ask if that same belief in personal choice extends to other areas of the intersection of morality and legality? For example, where do you stand on drug laws, prostitution, and multiple marriages? Are these areas where you believe people should have an unfettered choice?

No, states don't get to take away people's rights, even if a majority of the people in that state want to. The Texas law is an absurd law designed to undermine the rule of law by first avoiding judicial review and second by offloading the enforcement powers of the state onto individual citizens.

As to your other questions:

I think individual drug possession should be decriminalized, though illegal distribution should remain a crime. A drug addict is a health crisis not a law crisis.

I support the decriminalization of prostitution, so long as adequate safe guards exist to protect against human trafficking and forced prostitution.

Marriages shouldn't be a state care, if someone wants to be religiously married to multiple people it isn't the states concern. From the state perspective I wish we got ride of marriages and went to strictly civil unions for all and if someone wants to be in multiple civil unions, as long as all parties are aware and consenting why should the state care?

EDIT: I'd also ask if morality is the bassis of law for you, what is your stance on adultery, gambling, sex out of wedlock, or the worship of other religions?

Unless you define "Don't hurt other people unless they agree to it" as morality, I do not believe morality should be the basis of law.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:02 am

Elwher wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:
No, states don't get to take away people's rights, even if a majority of the people in that state want to. The Texas law is an absurd law designed to undermine the rule of law by first avoiding judicial review and second by offloading the enforcement powers of the state onto individual citizens.

As to your other questions:

I think individual drug possession should be decriminalized, though illegal distribution should remain a crime. A drug addict is a health crisis not a law crisis.

I support the decriminalization of prostitution, so long as adequate safe guards exist to protect against human trafficking and forced prostitution.

Marriages shouldn't be a state care, if someone wants to be religiously married to multiple people it isn't the states concern. From the state perspective I wish we got ride of marriages and went to strictly civil unions for all and if someone wants to be in multiple civil unions, as long as all parties are aware and consenting why should the state care?

EDIT: I'd also ask if morality is the bassis of law for you, what is your stance on adultery, gambling, sex out of wedlock, or the worship of other religions?

Unless you define "Don't hurt other people unless they agree to it" as morality, I do not believe morality should be the basis of law.

Then what is your basis for apposing abortion? The fetus is hurting the woman and the woman would like to take steps to end it. The fetus is not a person, as before the third trimester it does not have the capacity to survive outside the womb or the brain activity to count as being alive.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:46 am

Sundiata wrote:

It's the place of everyone of good will to stop homicide.

Irrelevant, an appeal to emotion, AND an unsupported 'morality'-adjacent claim.
I identify as
a problem

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:12 am

Last edited by Galloism on Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:54 am

If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:22 am

Neutraligon wrote:

Good, someone realized that this law could be used against them.

Yeah.

I believe I mentioned some time ago how this attempted end-run around judicial review was a disaster, even beyond the implications for human rights. It was a legalistic nightmare thing.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:27 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

Good, someone realized that this law could be used against them.

It's unfortunate it took folk this long to realise how Stasi-esque it is.

Wave on, wave on

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:42 pm

Galloism wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Good, someone realized that this law could be used against them.

Yeah.

I believe I mentioned some time ago how this attempted end-run around judicial review was a disaster, even beyond the implications for human rights. It was a legalistic nightmare thing.

The fact that the Supreme Court is letting it stand while they 'consider' it is perhaps the most annoying part.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:51 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Elwher wrote:

Then what is your basis for apposing abortion? The fetus is hurting the woman and the woman would like to take steps to end it. The fetus is not a person, as before the third trimester it does not have the capacity to survive outside the womb or the brain activity to count as being alive.

I am ambivalent on the question of abortion itself as I am unsure about ensoulment. What I am opposed to is allowing the Federal government to regulate any medical procedures including abortion.

However, using "the capacity to survive outside the womb or the brain activity to count as being alive" is somewhat dangerous, as it could define someone in a deep coma or a vegetative state on a ventilator as not being alive either.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General