NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (POLL 4) A compromising position...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What would you consider to be the best 'compromise'?

Reduce abortions with welfare supports / other non-invasive measures, leave access untouched.
33%
Set conditions under which abortions can be accessed.
21%
Allow free access, under a given time limit.
9%
Allow free access, but give men an option to excuse themselves from child support.
10%
HELL WITH COMPROMISE, IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!
21%
Look out! They're here! Pink Elephants on Parade! Here they come, hippity hoppity!
5%

Total votes : 401

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:48 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:If a drunk *does* assault you, though, you are justified in using the necessary force to get them to stop.

Sure. A fetus isn't assaulting you though.

What precisely do you define as assault?
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:50 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:If a drunk *does* assault you, though, you are justified in using the necessary force to get them to stop.

Sure. A fetus isn't assaulting you though.

Its presence in the woman's body without her consent constitutes a violation of her bodily sovereignty, violations of that bodily sovereignty are enough to warrant actions that are the minimum necessary to stop it.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:51 am

Necroghastia wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:Sure. A fetus isn't assaulting you though.

What precisely do you define as assault?

The CPS does it pretty well, I think.
An assault is any act (and not mere omission to act) by which a person intentionally or recklessly causes another to suffer or apprehend immediate unlawful violence.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:52 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:What precisely do you define as assault?

An assault is any act (and not mere omission to act) by which a person intentionally or recklessly causes another to suffer or apprehend immediate unlawful violence.

So if i unintentionally discharged a 9 mm bullet into somebody's fallopian tubes it's assault but when a fetus unintentionally collapses them it's not?
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:54 am

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:The CPS does it pretty well, I think.

So if i unintentionally discharged a 9 mm bullet into somebody's fallopian tubes it's assault but when a fetus unintentionally collapses them it's not?

Correct. We're not banning babies, so I fail to see how they can cause unlawful violence.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:55 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Again, I was referring to rape but not as an example of something that is morally neutral.

Again, I really don't know how you can argue that's what you were saying, look at the sentence:

In the instance of detering rape, force utilized could potentially and should be potentially deadly for most neutral instances.

I'm not describing rape as a neutral instance.

I'm saying that the force used to stop rape would be just as deadly in a neutral instance, which rape is evidently not in the full context of my post.

However, I did make that clearer to help understanding.
Last edited by Sundiata on Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:55 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:What precisely do you define as assault?

Recklessly causes another to suffer, huh?

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:56 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:So if i unintentionally discharged a 9 mm bullet into somebody's fallopian tubes it's assault but when a fetus unintentionally collapses them it's not?

Correct. We're not banning babies, so I fail to see how they can cause unlawful violence.

This is sophistry is it not?

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:56 am

Necroghastia wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:The CPS does it pretty well, I think.

Recklessly causes another to suffer, huh?

Unlawful violence.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:57 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Recklessly causes another to suffer, huh?

Unlawful violence.

Or

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:57 am

CoraSpia wrote:Correct. We're not banning babies, so I fail to see how they can cause unlawful violence.

This is sophistry is it not?

Not really, foetuses are unable to commit unlawful violence, it's just something that can happen if you're pregnant. The definition says it's not assault so it must be...something else I guess.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:58 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Recklessly causes another to suffer, huh?

Unlawful violence.

More sophistry since if it was anybody post-birth doing the same damage some pregnancies cause we would be charging them.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

MT/MagicT

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:59 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:
Any pregnancy puts the life of the mother in danger. That some circumstances are more dangerous doesn't negate the fact that pregnancy and child birth are dangerous and can result in death even with the best medical attention available and no known dangerous conditions.

You might as well argue that the presence of drunk people on a street puts your life in danger. Having more unpredictable people walking around definitely leads to a higher likelihood you could get hurt, it doesn't mean we should ban alcohol or allow people to assault drunk people though.

Last I checked drunk people aren't a specific medical condition inside a person's body. It is a completely apples to oranges comparison.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:01 am

CoraSpia wrote:Unlawful violence.

More sophistry since if it was anybody post-birth doing the same damage some pregnancies cause we would be charging them.

Then you need to work out a new word for it. Using words that people tend to have an emotive response to despite the fact that they're not at all descriptive of what you're trying to say is not very persuasive.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:19 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:More sophistry since if it was anybody post-birth doing the same damage some pregnancies cause we would be charging them.

Then you need to work out a new word for it. Using words that people tend to have an emotive response to despite the fact that they're not at all descriptive of what you're trying to say is not very persuasive.

So it's an invalid comparison because it makes you uncomfortable? Great argument. :roll:

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:21 am

Genivaria wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:Then you need to work out a new word for it. Using words that people tend to have an emotive response to despite the fact that they're not at all descriptive of what you're trying to say is not very persuasive.

So it's an invalid comparison because it makes you uncomfortable? Great argument. :roll:

It's invalid because it's attaching something to a word that doesn't meet the definition of that word.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:50 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Genivaria wrote:So it's an invalid comparison because it makes you uncomfortable? Great argument. :roll:

It's invalid because it's attaching something to a word that doesn't meet the definition of that word.

Except it does by the very definition you provided.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:54 am

Sundiata wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Again, I really don't know how you can argue that's what you were saying, look at the sentence:

In the instance of detering rape, force utilized could potentially and should be potentially deadly for most neutral instances.

I'm not describing rape as a neutral instance.

I'm saying that the force used to stop rape would be just as deadly in a neutral instance, which rape is evidently not in the full context of my post.

However, I did make that clearer to help understanding.

If, if, that's what you actually meant, then it's completely not what you actually said originally.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:49 am

Godular wrote:
Elwher wrote:

Actually, I was reacting to the idea that a woman's body is being considered property, either hers or anyone's. If it is nothing but a property dispute, then the analogy is reasonable. I think it is much more than that.

It is that simple, and it is not that simple. Different people feel differently about their belongings and their property than others. Some people believe them to be just 'things', and others feel that their belongings are a representation of their hard work. Both are right, in their own way. Some people would fight to the death to defend their property, others would prefer to let the cops handle it, and others still would just say 'I got homeowners' insurance so it ain't no thang' and go through whatever procedures enable them to just move on.

The point is that different people will feel differently about it, but nobody should be shamed because they feel one way or the other.

That's the point of choice, isn't it?

If the woman gets pregnant due to rape and decides to carry it to term, that's her choice. Some may disagree with her reasons, but it is not the business of others to judge.

If the woman gets pregnant due to failed or misused contraception and wishes to terminate the pregnancy, that's her choice. Some may disagree with her reasons, but it is not the business of others to judge.

Neither should be shamed or pressured into actions they do not wish to take.

If a pro-life person wishes to reduce the number of abortions because they have some moral problem with it, they need to understand that not everybody feels the same way, and that while it might be a regrettable thing it remains a necessary thing, and look for a solution that can satisfy both sides without disrupting the rights of anyone.

It is possible. We've only offered such options every four or five pages.

Personally, I agree with that. My main objection is that this should be a matter to be settled in the individual states and not on a Federal level at all. Therefore, I support the Texas law and being representative of what Texas believes and the New York laws as being representative of what New York believes.

I do have to ask if that same belief in personal choice extends to other areas of the intersection of morality and legality? For example, where do you stand on drug laws, prostitution, and multiple marriages? Are these areas where you believe people should have an unfettered choice?
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:14 am

Elwher wrote:
Godular wrote:
It is that simple, and it is not that simple. Different people feel differently about their belongings and their property than others. Some people believe them to be just 'things', and others feel that their belongings are a representation of their hard work. Both are right, in their own way. Some people would fight to the death to defend their property, others would prefer to let the cops handle it, and others still would just say 'I got homeowners' insurance so it ain't no thang' and go through whatever procedures enable them to just move on.

The point is that different people will feel differently about it, but nobody should be shamed because they feel one way or the other.

That's the point of choice, isn't it?

If the woman gets pregnant due to rape and decides to carry it to term, that's her choice. Some may disagree with her reasons, but it is not the business of others to judge.

If the woman gets pregnant due to failed or misused contraception and wishes to terminate the pregnancy, that's her choice. Some may disagree with her reasons, but it is not the business of others to judge.

Neither should be shamed or pressured into actions they do not wish to take.

If a pro-life person wishes to reduce the number of abortions because they have some moral problem with it, they need to understand that not everybody feels the same way, and that while it might be a regrettable thing it remains a necessary thing, and look for a solution that can satisfy both sides without disrupting the rights of anyone.

It is possible. We've only offered such options every four or five pages.

Personally, I agree with that. My main objection is that this should be a matter to be settled in the individual states and not on a Federal level at all. Therefore, I support the Texas law and being representative of what Texas believes and the New York laws as being representative of what New York believes.

I do have to ask if that same belief in personal choice extends to other areas of the intersection of morality and legality? For example, where do you stand on drug laws, prostitution, and multiple marriages? Are these areas where you believe people should have an unfettered choice?

No, states don't get to take away people's rights, even if a majority of the people in that state want to. The Texas law is an absurd law designed to undermine the rule of law by first avoiding judicial review and second by offloading the enforcement powers of the state onto individual citizens.

As to your other questions:

I think individual drug possession should be decriminalized, though illegal distribution should remain a crime. A drug addict is a health crisis not a law crisis.

I support the decriminalization of prostitution, so long as adequate safe guards exist to protect against human trafficking and forced prostitution.

Marriages shouldn't be a state care, if someone wants to be religiously married to multiple people it isn't the states concern. From the state perspective I wish we got ride of marriages and went to strictly civil unions for all and if someone wants to be in multiple civil unions, as long as all parties are aware and consenting why should the state care?

EDIT: I'd also ask if morality is the bassis of law for you, what is your stance on adultery, gambling, sex out of wedlock, or the worship of other religions?
Last edited by Spirit of Hope on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:30 am

CoraSpia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Patently untrue, as shown by the fact that there are instances when that right is overridden.

When is it overridden in ways that are positive though?

Death Penalty, euthanasia, war for freedom and democracy, robbery. Loads of instances where some will say ppl have forfeited the right to life for the betterment of society. Or themselves.

And fetuses make most pregnant women suffer. Not always life threatening but suffer they do.
Think how awful it is to not drink alcohol for 9 months. Just a whiff of alcohol was enough for me to puke during pregnancy. I didn't even have to ingest it.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:38 am

Sundiata wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
Animals rape, that is an indisputable fact by all laws of natural science.

Sexual coercion amongst non-human animals is not rape but it's certainly comparable. Rape at least involves a human being.

Sounds like you need to learn more about dolphins
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:47 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Sexual coercion amongst non-human animals is not rape but it's certainly comparable. Rape at least involves a human being.

And ducks.

https://blogs.unimelb.edu.au/sciencecom ... copulation.

And the rest of mammalian species.
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Lis ... l1_5459441

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:28 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Sexual coercion amongst non-human animals is not rape but it's certainly comparable. Rape at least involves a human being.

Koalas are also ridden with chlamydia for reasons.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 07, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:24 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Elwher wrote:

No, states don't get to take away people's rights, even if a majority of the people in that state want to. The Texas law is an absurd law designed to undermine the rule of law by first avoiding judicial review and second by offloading the enforcement powers of the state onto individual citizens.

As to your other questions:

I think individual drug possession should be decriminalized, though illegal distribution should remain a crime. A drug addict is a health crisis not a law crisis.

I support the decriminalization of prostitution, so long as adequate safe guards exist to protect against human trafficking and forced prostitution.

Marriages shouldn't be a state care, if someone wants to be religiously married to multiple people it isn't the states concern. From the state perspective I wish we got ride of marriages and went to strictly civil unions for all and if someone wants to be in multiple civil unions, as long as all parties are aware and consenting why should the state care?

EDIT: I'd also ask if morality is the bassis of law for you, what is your stance on adultery, gambling, sex out of wedlock, or the worship of other religions?

In answer to Elwher, pretty much this ^
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General