NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (POLL 4) A compromising position...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What would you consider to be the best 'compromise'?

Reduce abortions with welfare supports / other non-invasive measures, leave access untouched.
33%
Set conditions under which abortions can be accessed.
21%
Allow free access, under a given time limit.
9%
Allow free access, but give men an option to excuse themselves from child support.
10%
HELL WITH COMPROMISE, IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!
21%
Look out! They're here! Pink Elephants on Parade! Here they come, hippity hoppity!
5%

Total votes : 401

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:52 pm

Islamic Essarn wrote:
Well, if a women is raped then she still has to provide for her child.

She can get an abortion or put the child up for adoption and has nowhere near the same knife fight over parental rights.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Burgundu
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Burgundu » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:53 pm

The problem with abortion is that none of us address the cause- once a baby is born, there is no support for the family, at least here in the US.

If pro-lifers care so much about lives then how do they let born children starve because of their anti-welfare views?

If we did the first option we wouldn't have as many abortions.

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:54 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Islamic Essarn wrote:First of all how many men do you know who have been raped by women.
Second of all the reason that women have more power is because we carry the pregnancy in our body.
Third of all women suffer much more then men after having children
Fourth of all all birth controls and abortion methods, other then condemns, happen to a woman's body so the only conversation that comes out of your reasoning is whether a man gets to decide whether he where a condemn which he already can.

1. I'm not counting them, it's weird you would ask me to do that. But to the implied suggestion that men are rarely if ever raped by women men are about as likely to report being made to nonconsensually penetrate a woman as women are to report being nonconsensually penetrated by a man.
2. Nifty, changes nothing.
3. That was literally one of my points.
4a. Nifty changes nothing.
4b. A man can't wear a condom without 1) his partner's permisson 2) committing rape.

I pointed out an imbalance exists, you're going into detail on why it exists. You're not actually rebutting me.

Yes he does and even if he did’t the effects will still happen to her so it does’t matter

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:56 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Islamic Essarn wrote:

She can get an abortion or put the child up for adoption and has nowhere near the same knife fight over parental rights.

Yes and no. She should be able to do so but not anymore in some places.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:57 pm

Burgundu wrote:The problem with abortion is that none of us address the cause- once a baby is born, there is no support for the family, at least here in the US.

If pro-lifers care so much about lives then how do they let born children starve because of their anti-welfare views?

Jumping directly to banning abortions is a very shortsighted way to cut down on its rate safely.

Birth control is an anti-abortionist's best friend, especially if men are able to expand their diversity of access to it. Spreads around the responsibility, gives men more control over their reproduction, cuts down rates of abortion, makes copulation safer for everyone.

win win
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:57 pm

Burgundu wrote:The problem with abortion is that none of us address the cause- once a baby is born, there is no support for the family, at least here in the US.

The number of people starving to death in the united states is basically zero- when it happens it's pretty much universally because someone was essentially terminally mentally ill or physically trapped somewhere without food.

Also there's zero equivalence. If you believe abortion kills a person (because you're wrong) then what you're equating is execution of children for no reason but their parent's whims to not being onboard for UBI.

Third Pro-Life just means anti-abortion it's not hypocrisy it's propaganda.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:58 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Islamic Essarn wrote:

Maybe this is true but i don’t think that men are the oppressed ones when it comes to reproductive rights.

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:59 pm

Des-Bal wrote:

The number of people starving to death in the united states is basically zero- when it happens it's pretty much universally because someone was essentially terminally mentally ill or physically trapped somewhere without food.

Also there's zero equivalence. If you believe abortion kills a person (because you're wrong) then what you're equating is execution of children for no reason but their parent's whims to not being onboard for UBI.

Third Pro-Life just means anti-abortion it's not hypocrisy it's propaganda.

Food insecurity is actually very prevalent in the USA

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Postby Stellar Colonies » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:00 pm

Islamic Essarn wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:

Maybe this is true but i don’t think that men are the oppressed ones when it comes to reproductive rights.

Why fight over who has less reproductive rights? Everyone should try to work on improving them for everyone instead of steamrolling over demonstrated cases of it without consideration, such as a court case establishing a precedent which apparently allows women to violate an underage boy and extract money from him.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.

North Californian.

Add 1200 years.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:01 pm

Islamic Essarn wrote:
Yes he does and even if he did’t the effects will still happen to her so it does’t matter

I can't identify anything you could be responding to.

Islamic Essarn wrote:
Yes and no. She should be able to do so but not anymore in some places.

Changes nothing she still has vastly more options.

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:02 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:
Islamic Essarn wrote:

Why fight over who has less reproductive rights? Everyone should try to work on improving them for everyone instead of steamrolling over demonstrated cases of it without consideration.

Because we are more oppressed in this situation and they are trying to take the focus off the people who are suffering here

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:02 pm

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/ ... 20security.

People definitely go hungry in the United States
Last edited by Islamic Essarn on Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Postby Stellar Colonies » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:03 pm

Islamic Essarn wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:Why fight over who has less reproductive rights? Everyone should try to work on improving them for everyone instead of steamrolling over demonstrated cases of it without consideration.

Because we are more oppressed in this situation and they are trying to take the focus off the people who are suffering here

I'm sure we can help everyone instead of ignoring half of the problems regarding reproductive rights.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

North Californian.

Add 1200 years.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:06 pm

Islamic Essarn wrote:

Yes it is, but nobody really starves to death which is the issue.

Islamic Essarn wrote:Maybe this is true but i don’t think that men are the oppressed ones when it comes to reproductive rights.

I don't need you to think that. I don't think it's a particularly important question. I think it's an easy trap that the model of "oppression" leads us into time and time again but I don't think it's worthwhile which is why I pointed out it was irrelevant.

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:07 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:
Islamic Essarn wrote:

I'm sure we can help everyone instead of ignoring half of the problems regarding reproductive rights.

You named one problem that effects men, i could list 10 that effect women just off the top of my head. Were hardly equal when it comes to oppression.

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:07 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Islamic Essarn wrote:

Yes it is, but nobody really starves to death which is the issue.

Islamic Essarn wrote:Maybe this is true but i don’t think that men are the oppressed ones when it comes to reproductive rights.

I don't need you to think that. I don't think it's a particularly important question. I think it's an easy trap that the model of "oppression" leads us into time and time again but I don't think it's worthwhile which is why I pointed out it was irrelevant.

I would argue that feeling super hungry is also not very nice and still an issue

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:08 pm

Islamic Essarn wrote:https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/ag-and-food-statistics-charting-the-essentials/food-security-and-nutrition-assistance/#:~:text=The%20prevalence%20of%20food%20insecurity,had%20very%20low%20food%20security.

And then they live.

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:09 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Islamic Essarn wrote:https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/ag-and-food-statistics-charting-the-essentials/food-security-and-nutrition-assistance/#:~:text=The%20prevalence%20of%20food%20insecurity,had%20very%20low%20food%20security.

And then they live.

They still suffer

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:11 pm

Islamic Essarn wrote:You named one problem that effects men, i could list 10 that effect women just off the top of my head. Were hardly equal when it comes to oppression.

Oh boy you're gearing up for a list off? A big ol' pity party where we compare the suffering of discrete groups like baseball cards to see who wins the coveted crown of victim and is therefore entitled to disregard the suffering of their fellow men? I'll sit it out. That's not a valuable way to think.

Islamic Essarn wrote:I would argue that feeling super hungry is also not very nice and still an issue

I would argue our society conquering starvation is a very nice thing also that feeling super hungry isn't death and therefore not antithetical to life and therefore not relevant.

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:13 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Islamic Essarn wrote:You named one problem that effects men, i could list 10 that effect women just off the top of my head. Were hardly equal when it comes to oppression.

Oh boy you're gearing up for a list off? A big ol' pity party where we compare the suffering of discrete groups like baseball cards to see who wins the coveted crown of victim and is therefore entitled to disregard the suffering of their fellow men? I'll sit it out. That's not a valuable way to think.

Islamic Essarn wrote:I would argue that feeling super hungry is also not very nice and still an issue

I would argue our society conquering starvation is a very nice thing also that feeling super hungry isn't death and therefore not antithetical to life and therefore not relevant.

We still have some of the highest rates of child mortality in the developed world

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:15 pm

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:16 pm

Islamic Essarn wrote:We still have some of the highest rates of child mortality in the developed world

I don't care. I made a very specific point in reference to a very specific claim and for the last like nine posts you've been saying things that in no way contradict that very specific point or relate to that very specific claim.

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:18 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Islamic Essarn wrote:We still have some of the highest rates of child mortality in the developed world

I don't care. I made a very specific point in reference to a very specific claim and for the last like nine posts you've been saying things that in no way contradict that very specific point or relate to that very specific claim.

If you don’t care about children then why are you on this thread

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:19 pm

Islamic Essarn wrote:

This thread's not about children or how much we all care about them or how good it is that they're alive and not hungry it is about abortion. I care about abortion.

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:20 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Islamic Essarn wrote:

This thread's not about children or how much we all care about them or how good it is that they're alive and not hungry it is about abortion. I care about abortion.

Your a man i don’t see why you should

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General