NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (POLL 4) A compromising position...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What would you consider to be the best 'compromise'?

Reduce abortions with welfare supports / other non-invasive measures, leave access untouched.
33%
Set conditions under which abortions can be accessed.
21%
Allow free access, under a given time limit.
9%
Allow free access, but give men an option to excuse themselves from child support.
10%
HELL WITH COMPROMISE, IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!
21%
Look out! They're here! Pink Elephants on Parade! Here they come, hippity hoppity!
5%

Total votes : 401

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri May 20, 2022 9:43 pm

Space Squid wrote:
American Legionaries wrote:
I generally try telling the truth because it's the decent thing to do. Would you like me to quote the posts where I answered Godular's question? Or perhaps the third time's the charm and you can find it yourself?

Go ahead.

Oh, and AL: Would you be so kind as to revisit my second question? It may have gotten lost in the churn.

Chimeras? One or two people?
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Space Squid
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 04, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Space Squid » Fri May 20, 2022 9:43 pm

Space Squid wrote:Then that was a completely pointless thing to bring up. And had nothing to do with how you made your determination that they are two people.

It was the sole factor that contributed to that determination.

Then that is how you determine what is a person.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡠⠔⠒⠒⠠⠄⢠
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣁⠴⠛⠋⠀⠀⡎
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⠔⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⡎⠰⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⠜⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡼⠒⠁⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⢀⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣶⡓⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⠜⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⢠⣪⠖⠒⢮⣢⠀⠀⠀⠀⡠⢊⢕⣢⡌⢦⠀⢤⣠⠔⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⢳⣴⠷⠃⠔⣒⠚⠇⡢⠠⠤⠺⠃⠘⢞⣋⠅⢠⠧⠊⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⡀⠀⣔⣕⣁⣤⣬⢦⣤⣭⠤⢂⡀⠀⣀⡀⠔⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠉⢋⡿⢛⣭⣴⣶⡿⢉⣤⣴⣿⠀⠁⡇⠀⢀⠠⠤⠀⠤⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⣮⠁⣾⠟⠉⠀⢰⡘⡿⠁⣿⣄⠣⡍⠉⠔⠊⠉⠉⢱⡼⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠿⠀⢹⠀⢀⣼⠟⠉⢊⠆⠻⣿⢓⠪⠥⡂⢄⠀⠀⢗⢅⣀⣀⡀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠘⡹⡉⠀⢸⣟⠀⢀⢜⠆⠀⠹⣻⢦⡀⠈⡄⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠁⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠈⠺⢄⠀⠹⡆⠻⠁⠀⢀⡴⡹⠀⠻⣄⣽⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢱⣜⣦⠀⠀⠀⢠⡗⠉⠀⠀⠀⢩⡌⠙⢳⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⢽⣿⠀⠀⠀⠈⠓⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠫⣛⡄⠀⢀⢴⣾⣗⡶⢠⡴⠗⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠀⠈⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

American Legionaries
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 03, 2021
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby American Legionaries » Fri May 20, 2022 9:51 pm

Space Squid wrote:
It was the sole factor that contributed to that determination.

Then that is how you determine what is a person.

That was how I determined that those specific two people were two people. Conciousness is not the sole factor that could differentiate two people.

American Legionaries
Postmaster-General

Postby American Legionaries » Fri May 20, 2022 9:56 pm

Space Squid wrote:
I generally try telling the truth because it's the decent thing to do. Would you like me to quote the posts where I answered Godular's question? Or perhaps the third time's the charm and you can find it yourself?

Go ahead.

Which kinda just leads us back to "it depends" technically I was a conjoined twin because I had a partial organ in excess, but literally like 20 grams of extraneous growth when removed years later.

It's worth noting that conjoined twins can also be fraternal, where two eggs are fertilized by two sperm, implant together and fuse during growth.

This would be the second post where I reiterated that my answer to the question on conjoined twins was "it depends" given the wide spectrum of what conjoined twins could be. I also included a personal anecdote that illustrated my point.

Space Squid
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Space Squid » Fri May 20, 2022 9:57 pm

Space Squid wrote:Then that is how you determine what is a person.

That was how I determined that those specific two people were two people. Conciousness is not the sole factor that could differentiate two people.

What other factor is there that can determine personhood with 100% certainty?

Because lots of things "could" differentiate people. But also, "could" not differentiate them.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠀⠈⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

American Legionaries
Postmaster-General

Postby American Legionaries » Fri May 20, 2022 9:59 pm

Space Squid wrote:

Because lots of things "could" differentiate people. But also, "could" not differentiate them.

Having differing genetic codes, having differing physical bodies, separate physiological processes. To name a few.

Space Squid
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Space Squid » Fri May 20, 2022 10:02 pm

Space Squid wrote:Go ahead.

Which kinda just leads us back to "it depends" technically I was a conjoined twin because I had a partial organ in excess, but literally like 20 grams of extraneous growth when removed years later.

It's worth noting that conjoined twins can also be fraternal, where two eggs are fertilized by two sperm, implant together and fuse during growth.

This would be the second post where I reiterated that my answer to the question on conjoined twins was "it depends" given the wide spectrum of what conjoined twins could be. I also included a personal anecdote that illustrated my point.

Did a doctor ever tell you that your excess tissue constituted a "conjoined twin?" Because that wouldn't qualify as a thoracopagus, omphalopagus, pygopagus, ischiopagus or craniopagus deformity, and would not meet the medical definition of a conjoined twin.

So you're deliberately changing the definition of a conjoined twin in order to make the question seem vague. But in fact it is not.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠀⠈⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Space Squid
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Space Squid » Fri May 20, 2022 10:04 pm

Space Squid wrote:What other factor is there that can determine personhood with 100% certainty?

Having differing genetic codes,

Twins. Not 100%

having differing physical bodies,

Congenital twins. Not 100%

separate physiological processes.

Congenital twins. Not 100% unless the "physiological processes" include the brain. Which relates to consciousness.

To name a few.

You still haven't named any.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠀⠈⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

American Legionaries
Postmaster-General

Postby American Legionaries » Fri May 20, 2022 10:07 pm

Space Squid wrote:

Did a doctor ever tell you that your excess tissue constituted a "conjoined twin?"

Yes.

Because that wouldn't qualify as a thoracopagus, omphalopagus, pygopagus, ischiopagus or craniopagus deformity, and would not meet the medical definition of a conjoined twin.

So you're deliberately changing the definition of a conjoined twin in order to make the question seem vague. But in fact it is not.

Frankly, I'm inclined to believe the physician that examined, treated, and eventually oversaw the surgery to rectify the situation over a random poster on NSG represented by a cosmic mollusk.

American Legionaries
Postmaster-General

Postby American Legionaries » Fri May 20, 2022 10:09 pm

Space Squid wrote:
Having differing genetic codes,

Twins. Not 100%

having differing physical bodies,

separate physiological processes.

Congenital twins. Not 100% unless the "physiological processes" include the brain. Which relates to consciousness.

To name a few.

You seem to be under the impression that my opinions require your validation.

Space Squid
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Space Squid » Fri May 20, 2022 10:10 pm

Space Squid wrote:
Did a doctor ever tell you that your excess tissue constituted a "conjoined twin?"

Yes.

Well either you lied just now, or they did.

Because that wouldn't qualify as a thoracopagus, omphalopagus, pygopagus, ischiopagus or craniopagus deformity, and would not meet the medical definition of a conjoined twin.

Frankly, I'm inclined to believe the physician that examined, treated, and eventually oversaw the surgery to rectify the situation over a random poster on NSG represented by a cosmic mollusk.

Frankly, I - or anyone else - can look up what a congenital twin is in a medical encyclopedia. And see that your totally real (trust me guys!) physician is wrong.

So nobody has to believe me. They can see for themselves.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠀⠈⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

American Legionaries
Postmaster-General

Postby American Legionaries » Fri May 20, 2022 10:11 pm

Space Squid wrote:
Yes.

Well either you lied just now, or they did.

Frankly, I - or anyone else - can look up what a congenital twin is in a medical encyclopedia. And see that your totally real (trust me guys!) physician is wrong.

So nobody has to believe me. They can see for themselves.

Sure.

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 07, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Fri May 20, 2022 10:12 pm

Space Squid wrote:Go ahead.

And you were subsequently advised that your answer was insufficient because I had given you a very specific circumstance, prominently linked for ease of access.

Thanks for finally answering, by the way.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

American Legionaries
Postmaster-General

Postby American Legionaries » Fri May 20, 2022 10:14 pm

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:

And you were subsequently advised that your answer was insufficient because I had given you a very specific circumstance, prominently linked for ease of access.

Momma Telconi taught me not to click on untrustworthy links. And doesn't putting me on ignore and then addressing me on a puppet defeat the purpose of putting me on ignore?

Space Squid
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Space Squid » Fri May 20, 2022 10:16 pm

Space Squid wrote:Twins. Not 100%

No. I was under the impression that we were discussing criteria. And I was pointing out that none of the criteria you mentioned actually do what you say they do.

Like I said before, if you didn't come here to discuss, why have a discussion at all? It doesn't bother me when you resort to an immature retort like this. It should bother you, since you proclaim to be very honest, and what you've just done is a very dishonest way to engage in an argument. But I don't really have a lot of stake in your honesty, so... "meh?"
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠀⠈⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Fri May 20, 2022 10:19 pm

Space Squid wrote:Twins. Not 100%

This brings us back to a question Squid asked earlier: What’s the point of you posting here, then? You’re not defending yourself. You’re just being contrarian and inconsistent to do… what?
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Fri May 20, 2022 10:27 pm

Momma Telconi taught me not to click on untrustworthy links.

I’m pretty sure that posting malicious links is an actionable offense. Elsewise you just don’t like clicking links that disrupt your narrative.

And doesn't putting me on ignore and then addressing me on a puppet defeat the purpose of putting me on ignore?

Eh, doesn’t bother me none. I was debating whether to foe you on this account too, but by the time I changed devices you’d finally answered my question, which is actually a momentous occasion.

I wondered why the four horsemen had delivered the mail today.

American Legionaries
Postmaster-General

Postby American Legionaries » Fri May 20, 2022 10:30 pm

Space Squid wrote:

No. I was under the impression that we were discussing criteria. And I was pointing out that none of the criteria you mentioned actually do what you say they do.

Like I said before, if you didn't come here to discuss, why have a discussion at all? It doesn't bother me when you resort to an immature retort like this. It should bother you, since you proclaim to be very honest, and what you've just done is a very dishonest way to engage in an argument. But I don't really have a lot of stake in your honesty, so... "meh?"

Yes, and those are the criteria I consider valid when determining personhood.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat May 21, 2022 4:45 am

Necroghastia wrote:Inasmuch as, say, a liver.

Yes, livers are also living.

It's why it's called a liver and not a deader.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Sat May 21, 2022 9:26 am

Space Squid wrote:What criteria did you use to determine that? What makes them two people?

They have separate consciousness and thought processes, so despite sharing vital organs I would consider them two distinct people by that criteria alone.

What? A chimera only has one brain how can they have separate thought processes

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Sat May 21, 2022 9:27 am

Space Squid wrote:

Yes.

So your physically connected to another person

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Sat May 21, 2022 9:28 am

Space Squid wrote:

Having one or two heads

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Sat May 21, 2022 11:37 am

Islamic Essarn wrote:
They have separate consciousness and thought processes, so despite sharing vital organs I would consider them two distinct people by that criteria alone.

They were speaking about conjoined twins. My question about Chimeras has yet to be answered.

Space Squid
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Space Squid » Sat May 21, 2022 11:43 am

Space Squid wrote:No. I was under the impression that we were discussing criteria. And I was pointing out that none of the criteria you mentioned actually do what you say they do.

Yes, and those are the criteria I consider valid when determining personhood.

I did not ask what criteria you consider valid. I asked what criteria can be relied upon with 100% certainty when determining personhood. The way the existence of consciousness can.

And you couldn't think of a single one.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠀⠈⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Sat May 21, 2022 12:02 pm

Islamic Essarn wrote:

They were speaking about conjoined twins. My question about Chimeras has yet to be answered.

Okay, conjoined twins are obviously 2 people

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General