NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (POLL 4) A compromising position...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What would you consider to be the best 'compromise'?

Reduce abortions with welfare supports / other non-invasive measures, leave access untouched.
33%
Set conditions under which abortions can be accessed.
21%
Allow free access, under a given time limit.
9%
Allow free access, but give men an option to excuse themselves from child support.
10%
HELL WITH COMPROMISE, IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!
21%
Look out! They're here! Pink Elephants on Parade! Here they come, hippity hoppity!
5%

Total votes : 401

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon May 23, 2022 3:06 pm

The Free Republican Union wrote:
Godular wrote:
It should not be a 'states' rights' issue. A woman's bodily autonomy should not be subject to local jurisdiction.

Well, at that rate, my money should not be regulated by the government because its my money.

homie their name is literally on it
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Mon May 23, 2022 3:07 pm

Necroghastia wrote:...How is that a solution to when contraceptives fail?

Not having sex prevents pregnancy.

Abstinence sex ed generally correlates with increases in teen pregnancy.

Islamic Essarn
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Essarn » Mon May 23, 2022 3:07 pm

Godular wrote:
It should not be a 'states' rights' issue. A woman's bodily autonomy should not be subject to local jurisdiction.

Well, at that rate, my money should not be regulated by the government because its my money.

You don’t have a basic human right to keep all of your money.

The Free Republican Union
Attaché

Founded: Nov 29, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Free Republican Union » Mon May 23, 2022 3:07 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
The Free Republican Union wrote:Sure. I would fight for African Americans to have full rights, as should all other people with a sense of decency.

And if, say, Alabama decided to go back to the early 1800s, tough titty for all the black people there?

I would pray, and fight for their rights, but if that's how Alabama want's to be, then that's their choice.
"We are all here, defending our independence, our country. And it will stay that way. Glory to the men and women defending us. Glory to Ukraine. Glory to the heroes.”
- Volodymyr Zelensky

#StandWithUkraine! Stay informed!
Born out of unrest, North American destabilization, and civil war within the United States, the Free Republican Union is a rebirth of the American ideal and frame of mind through Republican principles and values. I don't use NS stats.
Overview | Map | Constitution | Politics

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon May 23, 2022 3:07 pm

Necroghastia wrote:...Religion cannot be put into law and abortion is not religious.

Well someone just changed their tune, didn't they?

No? I don't know where you got any of your ridiculous misunderstandings but no changes of tune have occurred. I would truly be utterly delighted to be shown otherwise.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon May 23, 2022 3:07 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Hurray, SCOTUS is allowing states to take away a fundamental right. States shouldn't get to take away people's rights. If SCOTUS said that African Americans right to be a citizens was back up for the states to decide would that be ok?

Sure. I would fight for African Americans to have full rights, as should all other people with a sense of decency.

So you are ok with people's fundamental rights being up for debate and be taken away as long as the state does it? Citizen ship, freedom of religion, property rights, all of it?

Why not just guarantee people's rights. Again, just because the state does it doesn't make it a good thing.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Mon May 23, 2022 3:08 pm

Godular wrote:
That makes less than zero sense.

It does, I just poorly worded my statement. I'll reword it: If religion can be put into law (according to Godular), then abortion (which we've apparently established as religious) can be put into law.

Then why stop there?

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon May 23, 2022 3:08 pm

Godular wrote:

Oh, is your money a part of your body? I'm pretty sure it is not. Thus, a woman's bodily autonomy is a completely separate issue from the taxes you pay.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Attaché

Postby The Free Republican Union » Mon May 23, 2022 3:08 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
The Free Republican Union wrote:Well, at that rate, my money should not be regulated by the government because its my money.

homie their name is literally on it

Then why do we pay taxes to the government if they already have all the money?
"We are all here, defending our independence, our country. And it will stay that way. Glory to the men and women defending us. Glory to Ukraine. Glory to the heroes.”
- Volodymyr Zelensky

Born out of unrest, North American destabilization, and civil war within the United States, the Free Republican Union is a rebirth of the American ideal and frame of mind through Republican principles and values. I don't use NS stats.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon May 23, 2022 3:09 pm

Necroghastia wrote:And if, say, Alabama decided to go back to the early 1800s, tough titty for all the black people there?

I would pray, and fight for their rights,

What happened to not complaining about it?
but if that's how Alabama want's to be, then that's their choice.

It's not the choice of all the people whose rights would be crushed underfoot.

Attaché

Postby The Free Republican Union » Mon May 23, 2022 3:09 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
The Free Republican Union wrote:Well someone just changed their tune, didn't they?

No? I don't know where you got any of your ridiculous misunderstandings but no changes of tune have occurred. I would truly be utterly delighted to be shown otherwise.

The first stage of denial. (And possibly the second)
- Volodymyr Zelensky

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon May 23, 2022 3:09 pm

Necroghastia wrote:No? I don't know where you got any of your ridiculous misunderstandings but no changes of tune have occurred. I would truly be utterly delighted to be shown otherwise.

...Again, what?

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon May 23, 2022 3:10 pm

Necroghastia wrote:No? I don't know where you got any of your ridiculous misunderstandings but no changes of tune have occurred. I would truly be utterly delighted to be shown otherwise.

Feel free to prove that they said anything along the lines of what you claim. They did say they'd welcome you doing so.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Attaché

Postby The Free Republican Union » Mon May 23, 2022 3:10 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
The Free Republican Union wrote:Sure. I would fight for African Americans to have full rights, as should all other people with a sense of decency.

So you are ok with people's fundamental rights being up for debate and be taken away as long as the state does it? Citizen ship, freedom of religion, property rights, all of it?

Why not just guarantee people's rights. Again, just because the state does it doesn't make it a good thing.

I don't think everything should be up to the states. The previous answers were based on hypotheticals. We have a bill of rights for a reason, and abortion is not on that list. Thus it goes to the states.
- Volodymyr Zelensky

Attaché

Postby The Free Republican Union » Mon May 23, 2022 3:11 pm

Godular wrote:
The Free Republican Union wrote:Well, at that rate, my money should not be regulated by the government because its my money.

Oh, is your money a part of your body? I'm pretty sure it is not. Thus, a woman's bodily autonomy is a completely separate issue from the taxes you pay.

I was making a comparison.
- Volodymyr Zelensky

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon May 23, 2022 3:11 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:

I don't think everything should be up to the states. The previous answers were based on hypotheticals. We have a bill of rights for a reason, and abortion is not on that list. Thus it goes to the states.

We also have the Fourteenth Amendment for a reason.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon May 23, 2022 3:12 pm

Necroghastia wrote:homie their name is literally on it

Then why do we pay taxes to the government if they already have all the money?

What happens to your money and its relation to taxation is not a concern of this thread.
New to F7? Click here!

Attaché

Postby The Free Republican Union » Mon May 23, 2022 3:12 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
The Free Republican Union wrote:The first stage of denial. (And possibly the second)

...Again, what?

Just the first it looks like.
- Volodymyr Zelensky

Attaché

Postby The Free Republican Union » Mon May 23, 2022 3:12 pm

Godular wrote:
The Free Republican Union wrote:Then why do we pay taxes to the government if they already have all the money?

What happens to your money and its relation to taxation is not a concern of this thread.

I agree.
- Volodymyr Zelensky

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon May 23, 2022 3:13 pm

Necroghastia wrote:...Again, what?

Just the first it looks like.

Feel free to quote me saying any of the bullshit you claim me to have said. Please.

Attaché

Postby The Free Republican Union » Mon May 23, 2022 3:13 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
The Free Republican Union wrote:I don't think everything should be up to the states. The previous answers were based on hypotheticals. We have a bill of rights for a reason, and abortion is not on that list. Thus it goes to the states.

We also have the Fourteenth Amendment for a reason.

Exactly, and that amendment should stay federal. But you choose to use it for your example, and I played along with it.
- Volodymyr Zelensky

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon May 23, 2022 3:13 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:

You should read amendment 9 then:

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Interestingly, abortion was perfectly legal for about the first trimester during the founders times. Also it should surprise no one that a bunch of rich white guys forgot to mention a women's issue. They forgot to make everyone citizens and were perfectly ok with slavery after all.
Last edited by Spirit of Hope on Mon May 23, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Mon May 23, 2022 3:15 pm

Necroghastia wrote:We also have the Fourteenth Amendment for a reason.

Exactly, and that amendment should stay federal.

...It explicitly mentions what States cannot do. It never has been merely federal.
But you choose to use it for your example, and I played along with it.

...What?

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Mon May 23, 2022 3:16 pm

Godular wrote:

I agree.

Then don't bring it up, 'comparison' or otherwise. It's a shitty tactic that attempts to compare apples to jeeps.
New to F7? Click here!

Attaché

Postby The Free Republican Union » Mon May 23, 2022 3:16 pm

- Volodymyr Zelensky

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General