NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (POLL 4) A compromising position...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What would you consider to be the best 'compromise'?

Reduce abortions with welfare supports / other non-invasive measures, leave access untouched.
33%
Set conditions under which abortions can be accessed.
21%
Allow free access, under a given time limit.
9%
Allow free access, but give men an option to excuse themselves from child support.
10%
HELL WITH COMPROMISE, IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!
21%
Look out! They're here! Pink Elephants on Parade! Here they come, hippity hoppity!
5%

Total votes : 401

Spokesland
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 19, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Spokesland » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:12 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Yeah, but yeah.

I have quite a few friends and acquaintances who have uteri but are not women.

If I may ask, were they affected by the MRKH syndrome, or do they "identify as a man"

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:15 pm

Spokesland wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:I have quite a few friends and acquaintances who have uteri but are not women.

If I may ask, were they affected by the MRKH syndrome, or do they "identify as a man"

Those scare quotes are doing a lot of heavy lifting in that post.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Spokesland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Spokesland » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:53 pm

Vassenor wrote:Those scare quotes are doing a lot of heavy lifting in that post.

I put quotation marks around it because I do not believe in it and so I believe that quotation marks were essential, and if you oppose my beliefs and quoting please ignore it and move on because that was a comment given by a person, and a person is full of opinion

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:00 pm

ok who's puppet is this
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:02 pm

Spokesland wrote:
Vassenor wrote:Those scare quotes are doing a lot of heavy lifting in that post.

I put quotation marks around it because I do not believe in it and so I believe that quotation marks were essential, and if you oppose my beliefs and quoting please ignore it and move on because that was a comment given by a person, and a person is full of opinion

This is a discussion forum, not a blog. If you are posting here and thinking people would or should not respond to posts you make then you are sorely mistaken.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Spokesland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Spokesland » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:05 pm

The New California Republic wrote:This is a discussion forum, not a blog. If you are posting here and thinking people would or should not respond to posts you make then you are sorely mistaken.

I'm sorry if that message was not conveyed clearly, but I was referring to the quotation marks, not my post as a whole

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:09 pm

American Salvation wrote:
Maricarland wrote:It's anti-poor and anti people with uteruses (not everyone with a uterus and able to become pregnant is a woman).

No, that's just incorrect.

"People with uteruses" are women, of course.

Dude's literally a man, he shouldn't be deciding what women are called. Every woman I know would not be comfortable with being called a "person with a uterus" and if I were to call a woman I just met a "person with a uterus" she would probably walk away and never talk to me again.
Anti: Russia
Pro: Prussia
Resilient Acceleration wrote:After a period of letting this discussion run its course without my involvement due to sheer laziness and a new related NS project, I have returned with an answer and that answer is Israel.

Maricarland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 15, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Maricarland » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:12 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:
American Salvation wrote:No, that's just incorrect.

Dude's literally a man, he shouldn't be deciding what women are called. Every woman I know would not be comfortable with being called a "person with a uterus" and if I were to call a woman I just met a "person with a uterus" she would probably walk away and never talk to me again.

I am not deciding what women are called. In the context of the abortion argument, there are non-women who are able to become pregnant, and we need language that includes them as well as women.
Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!
- Miss Frizzle (The Magic School Bus)

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:19 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:
American Salvation wrote:No, that's just incorrect.

Every person with a uterus I know that is not a woman would not appreciate being called a woman. In addition, no shit sherlock, context matters.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Spokesland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Spokesland » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:22 pm

Maricarland wrote:
I am not deciding what women are called. In the context of the abortion argument, there are non-women who are able to become pregnant, and we need language that includes them as well as women.

wait wait wait, explain this to me, non-women by biological sex or by gender identity, just curious about what you are saying here

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:22 pm

Thepeopl wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Who do you think are hurt wort by abortion bans?
The poor, who are then faced with how to afford raising them, and vilified for accepting public assistance.

They can always resort to the diy abortions that quite possibly will kill them. Or render them infertile.
I think the abortion ban is less anti women and more anti poor.

It's antiboth, because it tries to control women's health/lives. A woman can be affected via control/damage of her body, and also by the financial strains. They're not mutually exclusive.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:27 pm

Thepeopl wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Yeah, but yeah.

I'll let my sister know she isn't a woman anymore...
Involuntary hysterectomy due to medical necessity. So guess I have an extra brother now?

Don't worry, that''s ok in Sun's book. I mean they've been promoting it throughout the thread.

Maricarland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Maricarland » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:30 pm

Spokesland wrote:
Maricarland wrote:

wait wait wait, explain this to me, non-women by biological sex or by gender identity, just curious about what you are saying here

Examples of non-women who may be able to become pregnant:

* Transmen
* Non-Binary people
* Intersex people
* (maybe in the future) Transwomen and Cismen with uterus transplants

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:34 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Great Algerstonia wrote:Dude's literally a man, he shouldn't be deciding what women are called. Every woman I know would not be comfortable with being called a "person with a uterus" and if I were to call a woman I just met a "person with a uterus" she would probably walk away and never talk to me again.

Every person with a uterus I know that is not a woman would not appreciate being called a woman. In addition, no shit sherlock, context matters.

Sure, call them what they want to be called, not what you want to call them.
Resilient Acceleration wrote:After a period of letting this discussion run its course without my involvement due to sheer laziness and a new related NS project, I have returned with an answer and that answer is Israel.

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:35 pm

Maricarland wrote:
Spokesland wrote:

* Transmen
* Non-Binary people
* Intersex people

Cis!? My allegiance is to the Republic, to democracy!

HISPIDA
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Anarchy

Postby HISPIDA » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:37 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:
Maricarland wrote:

* Transmen
* Non-Binary people
* Intersex people

if you're not with me, you're my enemy!
Algerstonia did nothing wrong. Hold Moderators accountable. (she/they)
"We have liberated Europe from fascism, and they will never forgive us for it." - Georgy Zhukov (purportedly)
read my iiwiki
free palestine. trans rights are human rights. no war but class war
Victory Day: February 23, 2022

Maricarland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Maricarland » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:40 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:
Maricarland wrote:

* Transmen
* Non-Binary people
* Intersex people

There is some research being done (though not much) to develop procedures that would allow for transplanting a functional uterus into someone without the normal reproductive anatomy for becoming pregnant. This would allow transwomen (who are women, I mistakenly included them in the list of non-women that may be able to get pregnant) and cismen to carry their child if they wish.
Last edited by Maricarland on Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spokesland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Spokesland » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:42 pm

Maricarland wrote:
Spokesland wrote:

* Transmen
* Non-Binary people
* Intersex people

OK, so disregarding the maybe statement, abortion is a matter heavily supported and equally denounced by using scientific logic, so can we just say, biological women who may also identify as something else, or to shorten, just biological women

Great Algerstonia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Algerstonia » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:45 pm

Maricarland wrote:
Great Algerstonia wrote:Cis!? My allegiance is to the Republic, to democracy!

There is some research being done (though not much) to develop procedures that would allow for transplanting a functional uterus into someone without the normal reproductive anatomy for becoming pregnant. This would allow transwomen (who are women, I mistakenly included them in the list of non-women that may be able to get pregnant) and cismen to carry their child if they wish.

Something's not right. I can feel it.

Maricarland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Maricarland » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:53 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:
Maricarland wrote:

Can you explain?

I think that this kind of research is useful (though it is controversial, experimental, low-priority, and currently minimal), as it helps free people from the limits of their biology. If they want a body capable of carrying a child, they should be able to have one regardless of biological sex, gender identity, or gender presentation.

Though, I can see some legitimate arguments against this, especially since right now there is not much to back it up.

Though, if (in the future) someone who was not born with the reproductive anatomy to become pregnant decides later on to acquire such anatomy, and ends up pregnant when they did not want to be pregnant (maybe they wanted to wait longer, maybe they were raped, maybe its the wrong partner, etc...) they should also be free to get an abortion.

Regardless of future biomedical technology, there are populations today able to get pregnant that are not women (some transmen, some non-binary people, and some biologically intersex people - regardless if they were born intersex or not), and we should use language that includes them with women as well.

Getting a bit back on track.

If our goal is to protect bodily autonomy, bodily privacy, and the right to get an abortion for people able to become pregnant, I think the best course of action (and the only realistic course of action) is to codify abortion rights into federal law.
Last edited by Maricarland on Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:57 pm

The main issue regarding "people with uteri" is that it's a fairly awkward phrase which can be interpreted as being demeaning, as if it reduces someone to them having a uterus or something. A more streamlined word or phrase would probably solve that.

Regarding implantable uteruses, being able to extract and safely transplant a fetus into another person would probably have an interesting impact on abortion, although that sort of procedure is likely a long way off even if possible.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Maricarland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Maricarland » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:22 pm

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:15 pm

It's not really a problem with messaging. It's more that the United States isn't a full democracy, it's an oligarchy with limits on democracy like gerrymandering, the electoral college, corporate lobbying, and lifelong supreme court appointments. That's why Roe v Wade is gone. Most Americans support legal abortion.
Last edited by Sundiata on Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Maricarland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Maricarland » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:19 pm

Sundiata wrote:

It's not really a problem with messaging. It's more that the United States isn't a full democracy, it's an oligarchy with limits on democracy like gerrymandering, the electoral college, corporate lobbying, and lifelong supreme court appointments. That's why Roe v Wade is gone. Most Americans support legal abortion.

Those are some very good points.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:21 pm

Great Algerstonia wrote:
Maricarland wrote:

You mean how it would lead to pro-lifer men being forced to serve as surrogate "mothers" ?
I see no downside.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General