NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (POLL 4) A compromising position...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What would you consider to be the best 'compromise'?

Reduce abortions with welfare supports / other non-invasive measures, leave access untouched.
33%
Set conditions under which abortions can be accessed.
21%
Allow free access, under a given time limit.
9%
Allow free access, but give men an option to excuse themselves from child support.
10%
HELL WITH COMPROMISE, IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!
21%
Look out! They're here! Pink Elephants on Parade! Here they come, hippity hoppity!
5%

Total votes : 401

Michel Meilleur
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 24, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Michel Meilleur » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:40 pm

Neutraligon wrote:I mean for personhood to be a thing a person does need to be a person. It is kinda in the definition.

That'd be if you're using a person as the base to define personhood rather than attempting to use personhood as a way to define a person. The difference is quite marked and really slippery.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:45 pm

Michel Meilleur wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:I mean for personhood to be a thing a person does need to be a person. It is kinda in the definition.

That'd be if you're using a person as the base to define personhood rather than attempting to use personhood as a way to define a person. The difference is quite marked and really slippery.

From what I can tell people in this thread are doing the former. A fetus is not a person and so has no personhood. Not that either of those matter in an abortion debate.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Arlenton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:56 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Arlenton wrote:The government clearly does have gun control in effect currently, so yeah. They do do it.

I am not arguing in favor of a "should" I am arguing that they "do".

and they should because i am personally offended

Ok. Now all you have to do is get enough power in government to make it happen. Just like the pro-life people are doing.

JAPANBLOX
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 11, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby JAPANBLOX » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:01 pm

My axiom is the current :

Preserve the life , reduce the sufference and serch a compromise and repeal the euthanasia !
JAPANBLOX

Michel Meilleur
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Michel Meilleur » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:02 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Michel Meilleur wrote:That'd be if you're using a person as the base to define personhood rather than attempting to use personhood as a way to define a person. The difference is quite marked and really slippery.

From what I can tell people in this thread are doing the former. A fetus is not a person and so has no personhood. Not that either of those matter in an abortion debate.

A fetus is a person because he is an human. That he is incapable of recognizing himself as a person, which is the concept of personhood, doesn't make him less of a person nor does it makes him not human. A lot of peoples on this thread are doing the later and suspiciously aping Nazi rhetoric in the process which is quite saddening and honestly suspicious.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:05 pm

Michel Meilleur wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:From what I can tell people in this thread are doing the former. A fetus is not a person and so has no personhood. Not that either of those matter in an abortion debate.

A fetus is a person because he is an human.

So a corpse is a person?
also
>an human
Last edited by Necroghastia on Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:05 pm

Michel Meilleur wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:From what I can tell people in this thread are doing the former. A fetus is not a person and so has no personhood. Not that either of those matter in an abortion debate.

A fetus is a person because he is an human. That he is incapable of recognizing himself as a person, which is the concept of personhood, doesn't make him less of a person nor does it makes him not human. A lot of peoples on this thread are doing the later and suspiciously aping Nazi rhetoric in the process which is quite saddening and honestly suspicious.

I do not consider humanity as part of being a person. For instance a sentient and sapient alien would be a person, while a human who is dead/ brain-dead is not a person. No one in this thread says a fetus is not human, they disagree if they are a person due to the lack of both salience and sentience.
Just A Little though

Michel Meilleur
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Michel Meilleur » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:15 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Michel Meilleur wrote:A fetus is a person because he is an human.

So a corpse is a person?
also
>an human

A corpse is a dead person, yes.

Not sure what's the greentext arrow is for, regarding a fetus being an human.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:17 pm

Michel Meilleur wrote:A fetus is a person because he is an human.

If we’re expected to believe a water-breathing creature the size of a grapefruit with a primitive vascular system and a brain smaller than a squid’s is a person just because it possesses a certain genetic similarity with the rest of us, that raises some unsettling questions of what other creatures we might have to include in this definition of personhood, both right now among existing organisms and in the future as genetic engineering becomes more advanced and widespread. Depending on how early in pregnancy you think abortion should be restricted, those questions only become more pronounced— if life begins at conception, for instance, what rights should our closest relatives among the protists have? Unless, of course, this is all stemming from a religious view of human exceptionalism, in which case restricting abortion is basically asking an entire society to chuck religious pluralism out the window and restrict half the population’s access to medicine on the basis of particular sects’ ancient dogmas… in which case, it’s a safe bet they’re not going to stop there.
Last edited by Senkaku on Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:20 pm

Michel Meilleur wrote:

Remember, believing that women should have control over their bodies is Nazi rhetoric, but demanding that women be forced to squirt out as many babies as possible (as in the Kinder part of Kinder, Küche, Kirche) isn't.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:25 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Michel Meilleur wrote:A fetus is a person because he is an human. That he is incapable of recognizing himself as a person, which is the concept of personhood, doesn't make him less of a person nor does it makes him not human. A lot of peoples on this thread are doing the later and suspiciously aping Nazi rhetoric in the process which is quite saddening and honestly suspicious.

I do not consider humanity as part of being a person. For instance a sentient and sapient alien would be a person, while a human who is dead/ brain-dead is not a person. No one in this thread says a fetus is not human, they disagree if they are a person due to the lack of both salience and sentience.

It’s definitely worth thinking long and hard about the continuum of sentience/sapience and what rights that entails extending to humans, other creatures, and hypothetical aliens— unfortunately, the religious right which is the primary driver of the anti-abortion movement in the US is not interested in actually collaborating in that investigation; it’s just used as a wedge to keep their opponents fighting amongst themselves. It doesn’t matter to them what secular people consider sapient or not, they have a religious belief as to when life begins that they believe must be imposed on the rest of us regardless of its relation to the facts. Even if the most extreme pro-lifers were right and we discover someday that zygotes are somehow aware through a 6th sense from the moment of conception, the same religious right would have zero interest in investigating whether this also applies to other species— for the same reasons of religious dogma. Abortion restrictions are therefore not really about some universal moral consideration for the suffering of living beings; they’re the thin end of the wedge for the religious right to try to exercise political dominance over society.
Last edited by Senkaku on Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michel Meilleur
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Michel Meilleur » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:26 pm

Senkaku wrote:If we’re expected to believe a water-breathing creature the size of a grapefruit with a primitive vascular system and a brain smaller than a squid’s is a person just because it possesses a certain genetic similarity with the rest of us, that raises some unsettling questions of what other creatures we might have to include in this definition of personhood, both right now among existing organisms and in the future as genetic engineering becomes more advanced and widespread. Depending on how early in pregnancy you think abortion should be restricted, those questions only become more pronounced— if life begins at conception, for instance, what rights should our closest relatives among the protists have?

Do you happen to have a degree in a STEM field or is that just typical "I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE" shit that humanities graduate love to fap themselves over?

Unless, of course, this is all stemming from a religious view of human exceptionalism, in which case restricting abortion is basically asking an entire society to chuck religious pluralism out the window and restrict half the population’s access to medicine on the basis of particular sects’ ancient dogmas.

HISPIDA
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Anarchy

Postby HISPIDA » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:33 pm

Michel Meilleur wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:So a corpse is a person?
also
>an human

A corpse is a dead person, yes.

Not sure what's the greentext arrow is for, regarding a fetus being an human.

probably because "human" isn't a word that "an" can be used for

"an" is used to precede words that begin with a vowel sound, i.e. "apple," "hour," or "item". the word "human" distinctly starts with an "h" sound, which is a consonant

unless you say "an ooman" in which case are you a yautja
Algerstonia did nothing wrong. Hold Moderators accountable. (she/they)
"We have liberated Europe from fascism, and they will never forgive us for it." - Georgy Zhukov (purportedly)
read my iiwiki
free palestine. trans rights are human rights. no war but class war
Victory Day: February 23, 2022

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:39 pm

Sundiata wrote:Every woman is good.

No, really really not.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:40 pm

Michel Meilleur wrote:
Senkaku wrote:If we’re expected to believe a water-breathing creature the size of a grapefruit with a primitive vascular system and a brain smaller than a squid’s is a person just because it possesses a certain genetic similarity with the rest of us, that raises some unsettling questions of what other creatures we might have to include in this definition of personhood, both right now among existing organisms and in the future as genetic engineering becomes more advanced and widespread. Depending on how early in pregnancy you think abortion should be restricted, those questions only become more pronounced— if life begins at conception, for instance, what rights should our closest relatives among the protists have?

Do you happen to have a degree in a STEM field or is that just typical "I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE" shit that humanities graduate love to fap themselves over?

Would either answer make you any likelier to actually engage with that line of thinking?

Unless, of course, this is all stemming from a religious view of human exceptionalism, in which case restricting abortion is basically asking an entire society to chuck religious pluralism out the window and restrict half the population’s access to medicine on the basis of particular sects’ ancient dogmas.

So stop pretending to have some interminable, winding argument about “personhood” on secular terms with people, it’s insufferable. If God made all humans (and only humans) special, including all unborn ones, and you think we should run society the way God told us to in a specific text, then just say that instead of all this dishonest pussyfooting.
Last edited by Senkaku on Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michel Meilleur
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Michel Meilleur » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:46 pm

Hispida wrote:probably because "human" isn't a word that "an" can be used for

"an" is used to precede words that begin with a vowel sound, i.e. "apple," "hour," or "item". the word "human" distinctly starts with an "h" sound, which is a consonant

Oh well...

Michel Meilleur
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Michel Meilleur » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:55 pm

Senkaku wrote:Would either answer make you any likelier to actually engage with that line of thinking?

Yes, the latter. I do not have sufficient knowledge in biology to argue about the fine points of it with a dude who got a master in that field. If it's just amateur interest, then there is more point to it.

So stop pretending to have some interminable, winding argument about “personhood” on secular terms with people, it’s insufferable. If God made all humans (and only humans) special, including all unborn ones, and you think we should run society the way God told us to in a specific text, then just say that instead of all this dishonest pussyfooting.

One doesn't exclude the other. I believe that we are made in the image of God and that is a moral standpoint, but that doesn't stop me from being able to discuss personhood from an ethical one.

HISPIDA
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Anarchy

Postby HISPIDA » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:02 pm

Michel Meilleur wrote:
Hispida wrote:probably because "human" isn't a word that "an" can be used for

Oh well...

fair tbh
Algerstonia did nothing wrong. Hold Moderators accountable. (she/they)
"We have liberated Europe from fascism, and they will never forgive us for it." - Georgy Zhukov (purportedly)
read my iiwiki
free palestine. trans rights are human rights. no war but class war
Victory Day: February 23, 2022

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:22 pm

The New California Republic wrote:

No, really really not.

Finally! You recognize me as being bad!! Yay!

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:22 pm

Thepeopl wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:No, really really not.

Finally! You recognize me as being bad!! Yay!

:lol:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:56 pm

The New California Republic wrote:

No, really really not.

Sun hasn't heard of Valerie Solanas.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:59 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:

I already mentioned Jane Toppan
Just A Little though

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:00 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:Sun hasn't heard of Valerie Solanas.

Ah, jumping ahead.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:00 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:

I have, I don't like her or her opinions but I don't hate her. Everyone's good at a human level.
Neutraligon wrote:

Her I don't know.
Last edited by Sundiata on Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:02 pm

Sundiata wrote:

I have, I don't like her or her opinions but I don't hate her. Everyone's good at a human level.

What does that even mean? :eyebrow:

Wave on, wave on

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General