NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (POLL 4) A compromising position...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What would you consider to be the best 'compromise'?

Reduce abortions with welfare supports / other non-invasive measures, leave access untouched.
33%
Set conditions under which abortions can be accessed.
21%
Allow free access, under a given time limit.
9%
Allow free access, but give men an option to excuse themselves from child support.
10%
HELL WITH COMPROMISE, IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!
21%
Look out! They're here! Pink Elephants on Parade! Here they come, hippity hoppity!
5%

Total votes : 401

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:56 pm

Elwher wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:
As I said the issue isn't Roe in it of itself destroying the rule of law. The problem is if people believe that the courts are not impartial, but politically motivated, they will stop using courts for conflict resolution. This can create a lot of problems.

To repeat, I don't think repealing Roe is going to immediately lead to this. I am however worried that Republicans mounting a decades long attempt to get Judges on SCOTUS to overrule Roe will cause the court to become more political, and cause people to view it as less impartial. It doesn't even mater if the court is becoming less impartial, even people thinking it is less impartial can cause problems.

As to the point about hypocrisy, please point to a precedent that has been around as long and is as impactful that the court then overturned that you don't see me complaining about. I've complained about the court in other cases where they ignored precedent or made what I feel are bad calls in the past. In general I believe that the US does need to do some house cleaning and update our constitution to incorporate how our nation has changed in 200 years and better understandings of political science, but that is not a discussion for this thread. Honestly at this point we have wandered rather far from abortion so I'm going to stop the conversation here. If you want to keep it up I'm active over in the American politics thread.

How about Brown v Board overturning Plessy v Ferguson?

Actually had a large number of cases that slowly changed the precedent.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:12 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Elwher wrote:
How about Brown v Board overturning Plessy v Ferguson?

Actually had a large number of cases that slowly changed the precedent.

Not to mention the original ruling was "separate but equal" and everyone promptly went around actually doing "separate and unequal." Which formed part of the justification for Brown v Board.

I will also note there is a difference between giving people rights (right to be treated equally in the case of Brown v Board) and taking away a right (the right to an abortion in the case of reversing Row).
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Fauzjhia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fauzjhia » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:26 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Actually had a large number of cases that slowly changed the precedent.

Not to mention the original ruling was "separate but equal" and everyone promptly went around actually doing "separate and unequal." Which formed part of the justification for Brown v Board.

I will also note there is a difference between giving people rights (right to be treated equally in the case of Brown v Board) and taking away a right (the right to an abortion in the case of reversing Row).

pro-life people do not believe abortion is a right, so they do not see reversing Roe vs Wade as taking away a right.
Warning Political position : Far-Left, self-identify as liberal-communist. also as Feminist, atheist, ecologist and nationalist.
Support : non-corrupt state, human rights, women rights, wild life protection, banning fossil fuel, cooperatives, journalists, Radio-Canada, Télé-Quebec, public media, public service, nationalization, freedom and right to be informed, Quebec's Independence, Protection of the French Language, Immigration right and integration.
really dislike conservatism

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:54 pm

Fauzjhia wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:

pro-life people do not believe abortion is a right, so they do not see reversing Roe vs Wade as taking away a right.

As the law stands right now people have the right to get an abortion. By overturning Roe you are taking that right away. That is all fact. You may not believe that there should be a right to have an abortion, but that does not change the reality that as the law currently is people have that right.
Fact Book.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:56 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Roe v Wade might finally be gone in the United States. The only way to stop this is to pass a federal abortion law which the Democrats in Congress won't do. if the Supreme Court gets rid of Roe v Wade, abortion will be legal on a state by state basis. It will be on Republicans to pass a federal ban on abortion.

You are as always welcome to emigrate to the hellhole of Paraguay and take your bedfellows with you.

Relax, we're going to be okay. Whatever legislative move happens you and I are people with good intentions.

Kvatchdom wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Roe v Wade might finally be gone in the United States. The only way to stop this is to pass a federal abortion law which the Democrats in Congress won't do. if the Supreme Court gets rid of Roe v Wade abortion will be legal on a state by state basis.

The US is truly barbaric when the rights of millions of women hinge on the whims of a few unelected aristocrats of the state.

It's not an easy change, not an easy change at all.

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Roe v Wade might finally be gone in the United States. The only way to stop this is to pass a federal abortion law which the Democrats in Congress won't do. If the Supreme Court gets rid of Roe v Wade, abortion will be legal on a state by state basis. It will be on Republicans to pass a federal ban on abortion.

Time to hire a Dutch boat and sail out to the Gulf of Mexico.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_on_Waves

I think that the United States is headed in a direction never seen before in the last few decades.

Occult Pasadena wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Roe v Wade might finally be gone in the United States. The only way to stop this is to pass a federal abortion law which the Democrats in Congress won't do. If the Supreme Court gets rid of Roe v Wade, abortion will be legal on a state by state basis. It will be on Republicans to pass a federal ban on abortion.

Canada's about to get a big wave of tourists, overwhelmingly female in nature.

Maybe,.
Last edited by Sundiata on Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:00 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:You are as always welcome to emigrate to the hellhole of Paraguay and take your bedfellows with you.

Relax, we're going to be okay. Whatever legislative move happens you and I are people with good intentions.

I believe the road to hell is paved with those.
Fact Book.

All Wild Things
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby All Wild Things » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:05 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Relax, we're going to be okay. Whatever legislative move happens you and I are people with good intentions.

I believe the road to hell is paved with those.

This is General. Aren't you supposed to provide links to evidence for statements like that? ;)
Browse The NewsStand
Watch the Wild Life

Fauzjhia
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fauzjhia » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:10 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Fauzjhia wrote:

As the law stands right now people have the right to get an abortion. By overturning Roe you are taking that right away. That is all fact. You may not believe that there should be a right to have an abortion, but that does not change the reality that as the law currently is people have that right.

I am pro-choice
I simply explain you how pro-life people view abortion, they view it as a crime, as a murder. They do not understand that abortion is right or do not want to understand.

I have no doubt abortion is going back to be illegal, to back-alley abortions, because I doubt the conservative justice (which should never be a thing. A judge should be impartial, apolitical) view abortion as a right.
Warning Political position : Far-Left, self-identify as liberal-communist. also as Feminist, atheist, ecologist and nationalist.
Support : non-corrupt state, human rights, women rights, wild life protection, banning fossil fuel, cooperatives, journalists, Radio-Canada, Télé-Quebec, public media, public service, nationalization, freedom and right to be informed, Quebec's Independence, Protection of the French Language, Immigration right and integration.

Venmere
Spokesperson

Founded: May 07, 2020

Postby Venmere » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:18 pm

Fauzjhia wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:

I am pro-choice
I simply explain you how pro-life people view abortion, they view it as a crime, as a murder. They do not understand that abortion is right or do not want to understand.

I have no doubt abortion is going back to be illegal, to back-alley abortions, because I doubt the conservative justice (which should never be a thing. A judge should be impartial, apolitical) view abortion as a right.

It all just comes down to whether you value sex or a child's life more. If you just want to have sex with no consequences, then kill the baby. If you want to preserve the sanctity of human life, don't get an abortion.
11-7, Quarterfinals, International Baseball Slam XIV
13-17, 6th in Group B, WBC 52
6-14, 6th in Group C, WBC 55
Total International Record: 30-38

3rd place in Group B, BoF 76

3-6, World Bowl 44

All these achievements testify to the fact that I am not very good at sports XD
Please TG me if you want me to join your event

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:33 pm

Venmere wrote:
Fauzjhia wrote:
I am pro-choice

It all just comes down to whether you value sex or a child's life more. If you just want to have sex with no consequences, then kill the baby. If you want to preserve the sanctity of human life, don't get an abortion.

A fetus is neither a child nor a baby.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Venmere
Spokesperson

Postby Venmere » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:35 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Venmere wrote:It all just comes down to whether you value sex or a child's life more. If you just want to have sex with no consequences, then kill the baby. If you want to preserve the sanctity of human life, don't get an abortion.

A fetus is neither a child nor a baby.

Then what is it? It is a growing, evolving, changing thing that requires nutrients to survive. If it isn't a child, then what is it?

3-6, World Bowl 44

Fauzjhia
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fauzjhia » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:45 pm

Venmere wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:A fetus is neither a child nor a baby.

Then what is it? It is a growing, evolving, changing thing that requires nutrients to survive. If it isn't a child, then what is it?

pregnancy does not always end-up in birth.
so a fetus does not always become a person, even if all persons where once fetuses.

Venmere
Spokesperson

Postby Venmere » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:50 pm

Fauzjhia wrote:
Venmere wrote:Then what is it? It is a growing, evolving, changing thing that requires nutrients to survive. If it isn't a child, then what is it?

so a fetus does not always become a person, even if all persons where once fetuses.

So if you die, you weren't a person, because just because every person who died was a human, it doesn't mean all humans will die?

3-6, World Bowl 44

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:51 pm

Venmere wrote:

A fetus is a fetus. It's pretty simple...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:51 pm

Venmere wrote:
Fauzjhia wrote:
I am pro-choice

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=491265&p=39189617#p39189617
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Fauzjhia
Ambassador

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fauzjhia » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:52 pm

Venmere wrote:
Fauzjhia wrote:

So if you die, you weren't a person, because just because every person who died was a human, it doesn't mean all humans will die?

if you die, you are not longer a person, you are a corpse.
And all humans will die.

don't equate birth, pregnancy with death.

Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:11 pm

Venmere wrote:

cancer?

not saying fetuses are cancer, but cancers do grow and change form over time, and do require nutrients to do so

i mean

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:15 pm

Venmere wrote:

That describes literally all forms of life.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:15 pm

Venmere wrote:

A growing evolving changing thing that requires nutrients to survive is a child...?

Behold, a child.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:16 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Venmere wrote:Then what is it? It is a growing, evolving, changing thing that requires nutrients to survive. If it isn't a child, then what is it?

A growing evolving changing thing that requires nutrients to survive is a child...?

Behold, a child.

Fuck. Yours is better.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

HISPIDA
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 21, 2021
Anarchy

Postby HISPIDA » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:45 pm

Necroghastia wrote:

Behold, a child.

diogenes, for the last time, we've been over this.
Algerstonia did nothing wrong. Hold Moderators accountable. (she/they)
"We have liberated Europe from fascism, and they will never forgive us for it." - Georgy Zhukov (purportedly)
read my iiwiki
free palestine. trans rights are human rights. no war but class war
Victory Day: February 23, 2022

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:21 pm

Hispida wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:A growing evolving changing thing that requires nutrients to survive is a child...?

Behold, a child.

diogenes, for the last time, we've been over this.

Furiously plucks a chicken.

Venmere wrote:
Fauzjhia wrote:
I am pro-choice

First no person gets to use the body of another person without the consent of the host. Doesn't mater if its a blood transfusion, a kidney transplant, or a pregnancy, you don't get to use someone's body without their ongoing consent. So if a person decides to remove that consent then you don't get to keep using their body. A fetus is no different.

Second a fetus does not have the requisite brain structure to be considered a person until about the 21 week mark, at which point something like 99% of abortions will have occurred. This distinction doesn't mater much because of point 1.
Fact Book.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:04 pm

Poland is a fucking dystopian shithole
Poland plans to set up register of pregnancies to report miscarriages

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... scarriages

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:15 pm

Genivaria wrote:Poland is a fucking dystopian shithole

lol, I remember a few years ago that a couple of the right-wing users tried saying that Poland was the freest and economically fastest growing country in the EU under its current regime.

We're seeing how that's turning out.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 07, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:36 am

Genivaria wrote:Poland is a fucking dystopian shithole

Gestate-tapo
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General