NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (POLL 4) A compromising position...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What would you consider to be the best 'compromise'?

Reduce abortions with welfare supports / other non-invasive measures, leave access untouched.
33%
Set conditions under which abortions can be accessed.
21%
Allow free access, under a given time limit.
9%
Allow free access, but give men an option to excuse themselves from child support.
10%
HELL WITH COMPROMISE, IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!
21%
Look out! They're here! Pink Elephants on Parade! Here they come, hippity hoppity!
5%

Total votes : 401

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:19 am

Ifreann wrote:
San Lumen wrote:I meant to save it for Democrats.

Republicans won't lose voters by banning abortion, because they've very publicly wanted to ban abortion for decades. Their supporters all already know that Republicans want to ban abortion, and continue to support them even so. There'll be some people who never thought the leopards would eat their face, but in general, Republican supporters are going to continue being Republican supporters if they overturn Roe.

Did they - or did they assume it was just some talking point the GOP would never seriously take action on ?
Which would be an.. understandable.. position considering they never really did since Reagan.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:24 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Republicans won't lose voters by banning abortion, because they've very publicly wanted to ban abortion for decades. Their supporters all already know that Republicans want to ban abortion, and continue to support them even so. There'll be some people who never thought the leopards would eat their face, but in general, Republican supporters are going to continue being Republican supporters if they overturn Roe.

Did they - or did they assume it was just some talking point the GOP would never seriously take action on ?
Which would be an.. understandable.. position considering they never really did since Reagan.

I really don't know where Lumen gets all these bad takes.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:39 am

Suriyanakhon wrote:Republicans have been trying to overturn Roe v. Wade for decades, the women who already support them are against Roe.

The GOP is supposedly "big tent" like the Democrats are. So there are probably those women who are against abortion being made legal but consider other issues to be more important for them. The two parties are such that chances are- you'll need to choose which is the lesser evil.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Kaiserholt
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kaiserholt » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:14 pm

Until societies start taking into account that the issue of abortion is not just about one life, but two or more lives, conversations on this topic cannot be honest. Fact is, medical science has advanced since Roe v Wade, so the question has to be asked if viability is truly the reason that it was back in 1973…nearly fifty years ago.
"Hello, Masaki home. Oh, that sounds like if I were married to the family. How embarrassing. What do you think? Do you think it sounds that way?"

"I have been many things in my life, Mollari. I have been silly. I have been quiet when I should have spoken. I have been foolish. And I have wasted far too much time. But I am still Centauri. And I am not afraid."

"You are elevating futility to a high art. There is nothing you can do to prevent the catharsis of spurious morality."

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:20 pm

Kaiserholt wrote:Until societies start taking into account that the issue of abortion is not just about one life, but two or more lives, conversations on this topic cannot be honest. Fact is, medical science has advanced since Roe v Wade, so the question has to be asked if viability is truly the reason that it was back in 1973…nearly fifty years ago.

Viability standard came from Planned Parenthood vs. Casey in 1992, two decades after Roe.

Medical science has advanced a bunch, but the earliest cases of survival is 21 weeks, and one of those cases is from 1987.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:23 pm

Kaiserholt wrote:Until societies start taking into account that the issue of abortion is not just about one life, but two or more lives, conversations on this topic cannot be honest. Fact is, medical science has advanced since Roe v Wade, so the question has to be asked if viability is truly the reason that it was back in 1973…nearly fifty years ago.

OK, but how does that make it right that a fetus is the recipient of rights afforded to no living person?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Arlenton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:25 pm

Governments, and their courts, could rule that a person/fetus is not a person until they are born. Science doesn't dictate policy.

Kaiserholt
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kaiserholt » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:28 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:

Viability standard came from Planned Parenthood vs. Casey in 1992, two decades after Roe.

Medical science has advanced a bunch, but the earliest cases of survival is 21 weeks, and one of those cases is from 1987.

So the second trimester. Surely after fifty years, we have studied the increase of viability over the second and third trimester. That's the point of science, gathering data that may increase knowledge.
"Hello, Masaki home. Oh, that sounds like if I were married to the family. How embarrassing. What do you think? Do you think it sounds that way?"

"I have been many things in my life, Mollari. I have been silly. I have been quiet when I should have spoken. I have been foolish. And I have wasted far too much time. But I am still Centauri. And I am not afraid."

"You are elevating futility to a high art. There is nothing you can do to prevent the catharsis of spurious morality."

Kaiserholt
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kaiserholt » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:30 pm

Vassenor wrote:

OK, but how does that make it right that a fetus is the recipient of rights afforded to no living person?

Considering what abortion is, the ending of viability, what right would the fetus receive that humans don't have? Either before or after the case currently before the Supreme Court?

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:34 pm

Kaiserholt wrote:
Vassenor wrote:OK, but how does that make it right that a fetus is the recipient of rights afforded to no living person?

Considering what abortion is, the ending of viability, what right would the fetus receive that humans don't have? Either before or after the case currently before the Supreme Court?

She's referring to the fetus gaining the right to use someone's body against their will, no such right is afforded to people.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:35 pm

Kaiserholt wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:

So the second trimester. Surely after fifty years, we have studied the increase of viability over the second and third trimester. That's the point of science, gathering data that may increase knowledge.

More premature babies are surviving, but pushing survival any earlier is unlikely absent a radical breakthrough. 21 weeks is the time frame when the fetuses brain starts to develop enough to control bodily functions (breathing, eating, heart pumping) outside the womb. Most fetuses in this time frame don't have the brain structure to survive outside the womb.
Last edited by Spirit of Hope on Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fact Book.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Kaiserholt
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kaiserholt » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:35 pm

Arlenton wrote:

Governments, and their courts, could rule that a person/fetus is not a person until they are born. Science doesn't dictate policy.

Hence why the debate in this thread exists. The Supreme Court is deciding on this topic. Everyone can hear the debate through PBS. If a case can be made that the viability of the fetus in 2021 is not at the same level as a fetus' viability in 1973, why should the case not be back before the Supreme Court?

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:36 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Kaiserholt wrote:So the second trimester. Surely after fifty years, we have studied the increase of viability over the second and third trimester. That's the point of science, gathering data that may increase knowledge.

More premature babies are surviving, but pushing survival an earlier is unlikely absent a radical breakthrough. 21 weeks is the time frame when the fetuses brain starts to develop enough to control bodily functions (breathing, eating, heart pumping) outside the womb. Most fetuses in this time frame don't have the brain structure to survive outside the womb.

And to add to this, the vast majority of abortions are done long before the point of foetal viability anyway.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:38 pm

Kaiserholt wrote:
Arlenton wrote:Governments, and their courts, could rule that a person/fetus is not a person until they are born. Science doesn't dictate policy.

Hence why the debate in this thread exists. The Supreme Court is deciding on this topic. Everyone can hear the debate through PBS. If a case can be made that the viability of the fetus in 2021 is not at the same level as a fetus' viability in 1973, why should the case not be back before the Supreme Court?

Again viability wasn't the standard in 1973, that standard came from 1992, and survivability hasn't gotten any earlier than 1992.
Fact Book.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:39 pm

Kaiserholt wrote:
Arlenton wrote:Governments, and their courts, could rule that a person/fetus is not a person until they are born. Science doesn't dictate policy.

As has been mentioned numerous times, the person hood or lack thereof of a fetus does not really matter. The question is if humans can be forced to give up bodily autonomy to preserve other life.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Kaiserholt
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kaiserholt » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:44 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Kaiserholt wrote:Considering what abortion is, the ending of viability, what right would the fetus receive that humans don't have? Either before or after the case currently before the Supreme Court?

She's referring to the fetus gaining the right to use someone's body against their will, no such right is afforded to people.

Science has advanced to the point where it can describe what you just said in a more honest, scientific way. It's not like we as humanity are new to the concept of causing new life.

Arlenton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Arlenton » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:48 pm

Kaiserholt wrote:

Oh you are correct on that, because that is the standard that the SCOTUS is debating on.

But in general, a government is entirely capable of determining whether or not to allow abortion, or set limits on when it can or cannot be done, on a basis completely unrelated to whatever science says. In this case however the SCOTUS is potentially taking science into consideration.

Kaiserholt
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kaiserholt » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:49 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Kaiserholt wrote:So the second trimester. Surely after fifty years, we have studied the increase of viability over the second and third trimester. That's the point of science, gathering data that may increase knowledge.

More premature babies are surviving, but pushing survival any earlier is unlikely absent a radical breakthrough. 21 weeks is the time frame when the fetuses brain starts to develop enough to control bodily functions (breathing, eating, heart pumping) outside the womb. Most fetuses in this time frame don't have the brain structure to survive outside the womb.

And those arguments were as true in 1973 as they are today. But as I said, medical science has advanced. Are you, or are you not, willing to take that into account?

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:50 pm

Kaiserholt wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:She's referring to the fetus gaining the right to use someone's body against their will, no such right is afforded to people.

Science has advanced to the point where it can describe what you just said in a more honest, scientific way. It's not like we as humanity are new to the concept of causing new life.

What on Earth are you talking about? I really don't think you are following what is being said, as what you just said made no sense in relation to what I just said.

Wave on, wave on

Kaiserholt
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kaiserholt » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:51 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Kaiserholt wrote:Hence why the debate in this thread exists. The Supreme Court is deciding on this topic. Everyone can hear the debate through PBS. If a case can be made that the viability of the fetus in 2021 is not at the same level as a fetus' viability in 1973, why should the case not be back before the Supreme Court?

Again viability wasn't the standard in 1973, that standard came from 1992, and survivability hasn't gotten any earlier than 1992.

Alright, I correct myself...viability has been around for thirty years, not fifty. That is not a counter-argument to what I said. If it was, that side of the Supreme Court would be making that argument...they're not.

Kaiserholt
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kaiserholt » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:53 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Kaiserholt wrote:Hence why the debate in this thread exists. The Supreme Court is deciding on this topic. Everyone can hear the debate through PBS. If a case can be made that the viability of the fetus in 2021 is not at the same level as a fetus' viability in 1973, why should the case not be back before the Supreme Court?

As has been mentioned numerous times, the person hood or lack thereof of a fetus does not really matter. The question is if humans can be forced to give up bodily autonomy to preserve other life.

Yes, I know that the Court of the General Topics Forum has decided. What I'm talking about is the Supreme Court of the United States, and its job to take into account that which has changed since 1973, or 1992, so as to keep things honest.

Kaiserholt
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kaiserholt » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:57 pm

Arlenton wrote:

Oh you are correct on that, because that is the standard that the SCOTUS is debating on.

But in general, a government is entirely capable of determining whether or not to allow abortion, or set limits on when it can or cannot be done, on a basis completely unrelated to whatever science says. In this case however the SCOTUS is potentially taking science into consideration.

And this case will do exactly that, set new allowances and limits on the topic...as it always has.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:02 pm

Kaiserholt wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote: Again viability wasn't the standard in 1973, that standard came from 1992, and survivability hasn't gotten any earlier than 1992.

Alright, I correct myself...viability has been around for thirty years, not fifty. That is not a counter-argument to what I said. If it was, that side of the Supreme Court would be making that argument...they're not.

Well you asked should we re look at the viability standard given changes in medical technology. The answer is no, since medical technology hasn't increased the viability window, just increased survival chances within it.
Fact Book.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:06 pm

Kaiserholt wrote:
Arlenton wrote:Oh you are correct on that, because that is the standard that the SCOTUS is debating on.

And this case will do exactly that, set new allowances and limits on the topic...as it always has.

Except that those standards will be based on the feelings of conservative Christians rather than science.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Kaiserholt
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kaiserholt » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:17 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Kaiserholt wrote:Alright, I correct myself...viability has been around for thirty years, not fifty. That is not a counter-argument to what I said. If it was, that side of the Supreme Court would be making that argument...they're not.

Well you asked should we re look at the viability standard given changes in medical technology. The answer is no, since medical technology hasn't increased the viability window, just increased survival chances within it.

And now we get back to the topic of honesty. My first comment is on this very page, posted less than an hour ago. There is no indication that I have edited it. Viability is more than the limited scope you've chosen to see it as.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General