NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (POLL 4) A compromising position...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What would you consider to be the best 'compromise'?

Reduce abortions with welfare supports / other non-invasive measures, leave access untouched.
33%
Set conditions under which abortions can be accessed.
21%
Allow free access, under a given time limit.
9%
Allow free access, but give men an option to excuse themselves from child support.
10%
HELL WITH COMPROMISE, IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!
21%
Look out! They're here! Pink Elephants on Parade! Here they come, hippity hoppity!
5%

Total votes : 401

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:37 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:It's not the quote that's insincere, it's the implication that pro-life people don't actually believe their own arguments and have some ulterior motive to enslave women.

Well, it's kind of hard to ignore the high levels of support for such things as the death penalty, lack of free healthcare and opposition to public services to help parents struggling finically as being signs of people truly concerned for the well being of their fellow humans.

I agree, but 1) that doesn't represent the entirety of the pro-life movement (the Catholic Church is the backbone of the pro-life movement is is extremely pro-social services and has recently made it illicit for members to support the death penalty), and 2) most people, pro-life people included, are extremely inconsistent in the application of their ideology because most people don't have an ideology so much as they have a loose collection of policies they support.
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:39 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
If it struck a nerve, it mayhap was more apt than you’re willing to admit.

"If people insulting you makes you mad, that must mean it's true"

I never particularly insulted them though. They seem oddly tore up about a quote that I honestly thought to be pretty innocuous, and explained the usage of in a later post. They continue to be taking it personally, which honestly makes me think it's entering into 'protesting too much' territory.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Echo Chamber Thought Police
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 25, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:39 pm

The Dominican Republic has also doubled down, completely banning abortion. Previously it was legal in case of risk to the mother's life. It joins Nicaragua and El Salvador as one of the world's only countries to have zero exceptions on its abortion ban.
Add circa 10,000 posts on to current account, founded May 14th 2018. Agarntrop is other account.
LOHG: A UK-based political RP
OCCUPY THE HEDGEFUNDS - INVEST IN GAMESTOP
Left-leaning Social Democrat
You Have No Authority Here, Jackie Weaver

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:41 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Albrenia wrote:
Well, it's kind of hard to ignore the high levels of support for such things as the death penalty, lack of free healthcare and opposition to public services to help parents struggling finically as being signs of people truly concerned for the well being of their fellow humans.

I agree, but 1) that doesn't represent the entirety of the pro-life movement (the Catholic Church is the backbone of the pro-life movement is is extremely pro-social services and has recently made it illicit for members to support the death penalty), and 2) most people, pro-life people included, are extremely inconsistent in the application of their ideology because most people don't have an ideology so much as they have a loose collection of policies they support.

This is true. Many in the pro-life movement are indeed not hypocritical.

The door swings both ways too, with 'pro-choice' people often supporting mandatory things in other areas, like needing vaccinations to go to school and the like... including me actualy.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:42 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
San Lumen wrote:
What is insincere about the Carlin quote? Its a legitimate question.

No one can force you to get a tattoo or a piercing or have six pack abs or get medical treatment although the last thing may have a few exceptions. Why does a fetus have more rights than a person does?

It's not the quote that's insincere, it's the implication that pro-life people don't actually believe their own arguments and have some ulterior motive to enslave women.

That was not the implication I was presenting either. I was passing commentary on their argument that it is somehow equal to allow the fetus special dispensations that are not afforded to any other born persons in regards to using another person's body without their consent.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:52 pm

Godular wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:It's not the quote that's insincere, it's the implication that pro-life people don't actually believe their own arguments and have some ulterior motive to enslave women.

That was not the implication I was presenting either. I was passing commentary on their argument that it is somehow equal to allow the fetus special dispensations that are not afforded to any other born persons in regards to using another person's body without their consent.

I'm not sure his comment was directed at you specifically so much as at some on the pro-choice side generally.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:54 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:I agree, but 1) that doesn't represent the entirety of the pro-life movement (the Catholic Church is the backbone of the pro-life movement is is extremely pro-social services and has recently made it illicit for members to support the death penalty), and 2) most people, pro-life people included, are extremely inconsistent in the application of their ideology because most people don't have an ideology so much as they have a loose collection of policies they support.

This is true. Many in the pro-life movement are indeed not hypocritical.

The door swings both ways too, with 'pro-choice' people often supporting mandatory things in other areas, like needing vaccinations to go to school and the like... including me actualy.

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. The vast majority of people in-general and not just supporters of any particular policy, are inconsistent on many things, just because most people (myself included on some things) haven't thought through every logical conclusion of what they support.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:57 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Godular wrote:

I'm not sure his comment was directed at you specifically so much as at some on the pro-choice side generally.

Well considering they were rather specifically calling out my quote and using 'hurr durr' with it, one is conferred the impression that exception was taken. I explained myself, and they still demonstrated a slighted demeanor about it. That's enough to get me to go 'hmmm'.

You know me well enough, UMN. When I'm jabbing, you'll DAMN well know it.
New to F7? Click here!

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:03 pm

Godular wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:I'm not sure his comment was directed at you specifically so much as at some on the pro-choice side generally.

Well considering they were rather specifically calling out my quote and using 'hurr durr' with it, one is conferred the impression that exception was taken. I explained myself, and they still demonstrated a slighted demeanor about it. That's enough to get me to go 'hmmm'.

I didn't read the whole conversation tbh, I didn't even realize he had quoted you until you said so, since I don't regularly follow the thread.

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:20 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

Not to mention that there are arguments people make about why they are against abortion while accepting of the death penalty which, even if one disagrees, are not inherently contradictory. Further, once again of course, the entire pro-life movement isn't composed of Americans.
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:25 pm

Godular wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:I'm not sure his comment was directed at you specifically so much as at some on the pro-choice side generally.

So if I imply all Americans want to lynch black people and an American takes exception to that, that must mean that they really do wish to lynch black people? Or is taking exception to something you feel is an unfair and inaccurate generalization not allowed?
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:07 pm

The Marlborough wrote:
Godular wrote:

So if I imply all Americans want to lynch black people and an American takes exception to that, that must mean that they really do wish to lynch black people? Or is taking exception to something you feel is an unfair and inaccurate generalization not allowed?

Wishing to correct the incorrect impression? That's totally fine. So far my impression has been borne through, though.

Taking it personally? Protesting too much.

To specify, I used that quote that seems to have you up in arms as a commentary against your argument. SPECIFICALLY. YOUR. ARGUMENT.

Your attempts to correlate my comment to anything involves claiming that I am making a passing judgement about the entire purported pro-life demographic. I mean, seriously? I attacked your argument and you're acting as if I made a fucking racial slur.

I'm FULLY aware that pro-life types can have varying opinions on the issue, I've personally curated this megathread through MULTIPLE iterations, to the point that mods will actually come to me and ask if I'm ready for the next round when the time comes. I have seen some variety. It is not my inherent objective here to provoke, so much as to cast things in a different perspective.

You can even read my OP post in this very thread. I THINK YOU WOULD FIND IT APPROPRIATE.
Last edited by Godular on Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
New to F7? Click here!

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:09 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:
I read it. It's still a double standard. "It's ok to have an abortion when I decide it's morally ok to have one, despite arguments of innocence of the life when I think you shouldn't have the right to determine whether you want to have a child/be pregnant."

Well no, in the cases of rape and incest, there’s usually threat to the mothers life so abortion is justified as a form of self preservation. Otherwise, it is not justified and shouldn’t be allowed as its killing a human being

What threat to her life, that is not present in any pregnancy she does not wish to continue? Please explain.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:23 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Kexholm Karelia wrote:Well no, in the cases of rape and incest, there’s usually threat to the mothers life so abortion is justified as a form of self preservation. Otherwise, it is not justified and shouldn’t be allowed as its killing a human being

What threat to her life, that is not present in any pregnancy she does not wish to continue? Please explain.

I think it's pretty obvious we're never going to get a coherent answer on that point.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:54 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Katganistan wrote:What threat to her life, that is not present in any pregnancy she does not wish to continue? Please explain.

I think it's pretty obvious we're never going to get a coherent answer on that point.

Mostly because there is no answer other than it being a double standard.

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:59 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:I know. I find the fact that others are genuinely suggesting them to be really ethically fukt, personally.

You think developing technologies to save premature babies who would otherwise die is "really ethically fukt"?

I think that those contemplating forcing women to undergo what is likely very invasive surgery to remove a fetus that she was forced to carry for long enough for this procedure to take place, then to continue developing it at high cost to either taxpayers or the unwilling "mother" is ethically fukt, yes. Especially considering that the science behind it means that they would have to purposefully experiment with the hormones, nutrients, environment, etc. and that would likely mean that at least some of the earliest babies "born" from those machines will suffer complications that may last their entire lives.
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:01 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:I think it's pretty obvious we're never going to get a coherent answer on that point.

"Rape and invest" exceptions are typically very revealing to the mentality of the anti-choice movement.
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:26 pm

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:
Senkaku wrote:You think developing technologies to save premature babies who would otherwise die is "really ethically fukt"?

I think that those contemplating forcing women to undergo what is likely very invasive surgery to remove a fetus that she was forced to carry for long enough for this procedure to take place, then to continue developing it at high cost to either taxpayers or the unwilling "mother" is ethically fukt, yes. Especially considering that the science behind it means that they would have to purposefully experiment with the hormones, nutrients, environment, etc. and that would likely mean that at least some of the earliest babies "born" from those machines will suffer complications that may last their entire lives.

Every transformative technology can be misused, and most of them have development costs that are more profound than simple dollar figures. Doesn't mean they aren't worth pursuing. Artificial wombs would save countless lives, and as an added bonus, make it possible for us to colonize other star systems, if we ever get around to that. You have a problem with a proposed use of the technology, not the technology itself, and you shouldn't confuse the two. I'm against nuclear bombs being dropped on cities; I'm not against all uses of nuclear energy.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:52 pm

Punished UMN wrote:
Albrenia wrote:

And point 2 is indeed the focal point right now.
So, what is the underlying reason to make abortion the hill to die on, and not e.g. compulsory organ/blood donation, compulsory donations to UNICEF, compulsory community service etc ?

That you cannot solve everything - sad, but true. Being inconsistent ? Well, you are human. But why is limiting the rights of women so that the unborn may live the one you get passionate about ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:36 am

American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Effortposts can be found here!

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:50 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:I agree, but 1) that doesn't represent the entirety of the pro-life movement (the Catholic Church is the backbone of the pro-life movement is is extremely pro-social services and has recently made it illicit for members to support the death penalty), and 2) most people, pro-life people included, are extremely inconsistent in the application of their ideology because most people don't have an ideology so much as they have a loose collection of policies they support.

So, what is the underlying reason to make abortion the hill to die on, and not e.g. compulsory organ/blood donation, compulsory donations to UNICEF, compulsory community service etc ?

That you cannot solve everything - sad, but true. Being inconsistent ? Well, you are human. But why is limiting the rights of women so that the unborn may live the one you get passionate about ?

For me, because I believe people have a moral duty to care for the fate of their offspring. That said, I do believe there should be compulsory community service.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:30 am

Punished UMN wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

For me, because I believe people have a moral duty to care for the fate of their offspring.

And not having a child when one cannot properly support them is not caring for the fate of their offspring? :eyebrow:
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:58 am

Punished UMN wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

For me, because I believe people have a moral duty to care for the fate of their offspring. That said, I do believe there should be compulsory community service.

So do you actually care about said offspring, or is "the duty" your motive ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:06 am

Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

"Rape and invest" exceptions are typically very revealing to the mentality of the anti-choice movement.

"Rape and invest" seems like it should be on a placard in Wall Street somewhere.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:15 am

Dogmeat wrote:
Stagnant Axon Terminal wrote:"Rape and invest" exceptions are typically very revealing to the mentality of the anti-choice movement.

"Rape and invest" seems like it should be on a placard in Wall Street somewhere.

I heard it was going to be the subtitle of a GTA game set in the world of ruthless high finance. But traditional GTA players didn't like the concept, as it was designed to be impossible to get police officers to pursue them. :p

Punished UMN wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Well, you get marks for consistency. But, for me, if a woman knows (beyond a shadow of a doubt) that she will be unable to care for her offspring -- and knows giving birth to it would mean leaving it in oversubscribed foster care, where more than 23,000 children (US figures) age out every year and 7 in 10 girls who age out will be pregnant before 21, 50% of children who age out will develop a substance abuse problem, 60% of boys end up convicted of a crime, and only 3% of foster kids will ever get a college degree (though 70% would like to) -- having an abortion can be caring about the fate of your offspring.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:42 am, edited 6 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General