NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (POLL 4) A compromising position...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What would you consider to be the best 'compromise'?

Reduce abortions with welfare supports / other non-invasive measures, leave access untouched.
33%
Set conditions under which abortions can be accessed.
21%
Allow free access, under a given time limit.
9%
Allow free access, but give men an option to excuse themselves from child support.
10%
HELL WITH COMPROMISE, IT'S MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!
21%
Look out! They're here! Pink Elephants on Parade! Here they come, hippity hoppity!
5%

Total votes : 401

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:53 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:define "large" please

Enough that at least a quarter to a third of people at pro life protests and marches are secular, some are even leftists

and how large are those, that a minority of them are enough to be considered large in themselves? :eyebrow:
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:58 pm

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
The Marlborough wrote:A fetus is only defined as not a person by contemporary convention. Which is why I urge pro-life activists that our immediate aim should be to change the law on personhood, and therefore the rights of personhood, to expand its scope.

1. Good luck with that constitutional amendment

2. How does it being a person give it the right to use another person’s body without their consent? No born person has this right. It seems to me you want fetuses to be MORE than persons right until they pop out of the birth canal.

“Pre-Born, you’re fine. Pre-School, you’re fucked.”

George had it right.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:00 pm

Man, it's nice to see decent traffic here again. And I haven't even been called a lunatic, on Godular OR TCV.

Well... haven't been called one yet. The night is young.
Last edited by Godular on Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:03 pm

Godular wrote:Man, it's nice to see decent traffic here again. And I haven't even been called a lunatic, on Godular OR TCV.

Decency? On an NSG abortion thread? You've gotta be a lunatic. :p

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:07 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:
Because they think this exception looks humane when really it points out the hypocrisy.

I already cleared this up earlier in the thread

Denying that it is a double standard does not eliminate its double standard status.

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:08 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Kexholm Karelia wrote:I already cleared this up earlier in the thread

Denying that it is a double standard does not eliminate its double standard status.

This is my view
Kexholm Karelia wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Why only in this instance and not as a general principle ?

I’m not Marlborough but in my case, I draw the line at rape, incest, and life-death medical situations because philosophically the fetus is a product of assault and so it makes sense to call that self defense, but in all other cases abortion is not justified at all. Other pro lifers disagree but that is my personal standing
Right wing conservative
Media is the enemy of the people
CCP delenda est
orange man bad. diversity is our strength. real communism hasn’t been tried yet. the hong kong protestors are paid by the cia. antifa protestors are good, hong kong protestors are american bootlickers. China is a better alternative to America. uyghur genocide isn’t real, and it is western propaganda. Trump should not have killed Soleimani. gender is a social construct invented by white supremacists.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:10 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

This is my view
Kexholm Karelia wrote:I’m not Marlborough but in my case, I draw the line at rape, incest, and life-death medical situations because philosophically the fetus is a product of assault and so it makes sense to call that self defense, but in all other cases abortion is not justified at all. Other pro lifers disagree but that is my personal standing

I read it. It's still a double standard. "It's ok to have an abortion when I decide it's morally ok to have one, despite arguments of innocence of the life when I think you shouldn't have the right to determine whether you want to have a child/be pregnant."
Last edited by Katganistan on Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:11 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

This is my view
Kexholm Karelia wrote:I’m not Marlborough but in my case, I draw the line at rape, incest, and life-death medical situations because philosophically the fetus is a product of assault and so it makes sense to call that self defense, but in all other cases abortion is not justified at all. Other pro lifers disagree but that is my personal standing

So you acknowledge that there is no real material difference between a fetus conceived via rape and one conceived from a consensual act?

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:14 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Godular wrote:Man, it's nice to see decent traffic here again. And I haven't even been called a lunatic, on Godular OR TCV.

Decency? On an NSG abortion thread? You've gotta be a lunatic. :p

Nope... doesn't feel right. It can't be forced, it must be earned.

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Why only in this instance and not as a general principle ?

I’m not Marlborough but in my case, I draw the line at rape, incest, and life-death medical situations because philosophically the fetus is a product of assault and so it makes sense to call that self defense, but in all other cases abortion is not justified at all. Other pro lifers disagree but that is my personal standing

And does that merit banning access to abortion services?
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:18 pm

I think I've said this before but abortion needs to be treated like any other medical procedure. Simply put too? It's between the uterus holder and the physician, not anyone else's business.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:30 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Kexholm Karelia wrote:This is my view

I read it. It's still a double standard. "It's ok to have an abortion when I decide it's morally ok to have one, despite arguments of innocence of the life when I think you shouldn't have the right to determine whether you want to have a child/be pregnant."

Well no, in the cases of rape and incest, there’s usually threat to the mothers life so abortion is justified as a form of self preservation. Otherwise, it is not justified and shouldn’t be allowed as its killing a human being
Right wing conservative
CCP delenda est
orange man bad. diversity is our strength. real communism hasn’t been tried yet. the hong kong protestors are paid by the cia. antifa protestors are good, hong kong protestors are american bootlickers. China is a better alternative to America. uyghur genocide isn’t real, and it is western propaganda. Trump should not have killed Soleimani. gender is a social construct invented by white supremacists.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:43 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

Well no, in the cases of rape and incest, there’s usually threat to the mothers life so abortion is justified as a form of self preservation. Otherwise, it is not justified and shouldn’t be allowed as its killing a human being

People can still die from complications of pregnancy even with modern medicine. Granted it's much less likely. Also unsure how babies born of rape are more deadly to their mothers than other babies, unless the mother is extremely young.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:55 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

There is ALWAYS a threat to the mother's life during pregnancy. *face-palm*

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:55 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

There's always threat to the mother's life in every pregnancy.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:58 pm

I'm not entirely on board with criminalizing abortion (in part because I'm skeptical it will solve the moral problem of abortion), but I have to agree from a pro-life standpoint that abortion in cases of rape or incest is not morally different from abortion under other circumstances, in that it is morally wrong. The reason I'm not sold on criminalization has more to do with empathy for the state of mind of the desperate person, which is also my view on various other forms of immoral violence (i.e. all violence).
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Kexholm Karelia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kexholm Karelia » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:04 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Kexholm Karelia wrote:Well no, in the cases of rape and incest, there’s usually threat to the mothers life so abortion is justified as a form of self preservation. Otherwise, it is not justified and shouldn’t be allowed as its killing a human being

There is ALWAYS a threat to the mother's life during pregnancy. *face-palm*

You know what I mean, in cases when the doctor says "it’s almost certain you will die at childbirth," not just any pregnancy
Right wing conservative
CCP delenda est

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:06 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Genivaria wrote:There is ALWAYS a threat to the mother's life during pregnancy. *face-palm*

You know what I mean, in cases when the doctor says "it’s almost certain you will die at childbirth," not just any pregnancy

No, we don't know what you mean. How is there more of a threat during the pregnancy itself in the case of rape than in any other pregnancy?

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:33 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Genivaria wrote:There is ALWAYS a threat to the mother's life during pregnancy. *face-palm*

No, I don't.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:46 pm

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

There is no more of a threat to the mother's life in cases of rape or incest then there would be in a normal pregnancy. Outside of the rape itself, that is.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:24 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Kexholm Karelia wrote:This is my view

And yet people get all upset when asked if their motive to grant the unborn special rights no other human has may have something to do with a desire to punish/control women.
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:01 am

Kexholm Karelia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I read it. It's still a double standard. "It's ok to have an abortion when I decide it's morally ok to have one, despite arguments of innocence of the life when I think you shouldn't have the right to determine whether you want to have a child/be pregnant."

Well no, in the cases of rape and incest, there’s usually threat to the mothers life so abortion is justified as a form of self preservation.

No, there isn't. Fetuses resulting from rape etc are not biologically more of a threat to the woman's life. That claim is utter nonsense. I know you are clawing for some way to give it a qualitative difference, but there isn't one, other than the moral standard you are applying to other cases being suspended for some reason. Again, as I said:

The New California Republic wrote:If you are going to go down the "abortion is murder" route then at least take it to its ultimate and more rational conclusion by advocating banning it completely, instead of trying to have your cake and eat it by calling it "murder" but then saying it's OK to murder it in situations X, Y, and Z.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:48 am

Suriyanakhon wrote:
The Marlborough wrote:And we have people on your side arguing that even if we had technology that made abortion redundant (which by the way is an example of favoring abortion for the sake of it), it should still be allowed.

That is... actually fair. I'm utterly confused what reason anyone would have to care at that point so long as the mother no longer needs to carry the fetus.

Because you would need the abortion to transfer the unwanted pregnancy into the artificial uterus.
And who will pay for the 9 month use of said uterus?
Who will take care of the baby after 9 months?
Because the parents of said baby don't want to/ aren't able to.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:03 am

Thepeopl wrote:
Suriyanakhon wrote:

That is... actually fair. I'm utterly confused what reason anyone would have to care at that point so long as the mother no longer needs to carry the fetus.

Because you would need the abortion to transfer the unwanted pregnancy into the artificial uterus.

As I see it, artificial uteruses -- aside from being so far from reality to have no bearing on the current abortion debate -- do not solve the issue of abortion.

It is highly unlikely a zygote would be immediately transferable to an artificial uterus, so the pregnant woman would still have to carry it until such a point as it would be medically supportable by said artificial womb -- which is an imposition she should not have. Also, in the time waiting for the foetus to be viable for transfer, she may have a medical emergency that requires the immediate removal of the foetus (cancer will not stop existing, ectopic pregnancies will not stop happening, sceptic miscarriages will not cease to exist).

And then, if she does choose to wait to transfer into an artificial womb, she will be having a surgical procedure to transfer the foetus (a more arduous operation than the pill or injection that most abortions involve), with all the risks and increased recovery time that involves (which would be a terrible thing to force someone to have against their will).

Then, as Thepeopl says, what will be the result -- should the woman choose to wait for the opportune moment for the foetus to be put into the artificial womb? More children growing in oversubscribed foster-care (which, despite so many people's good intentions to adopt, only two percent ever actually do), possibly ageing out without ever finding a family (as so many do).

Artificial uteruses aren't a solution. They're an attempt to kick the can down the road.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:08 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Thepeopl wrote:Because you would need the abortion to transfer the unwanted pregnancy into the artificial uterus.

As I see it, artificial foetuses [...]

Sorry, I had to do it.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:16 am

The New California Republic wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:As I see it, artificial foetuses [...]

Sorry, I had to do it.

No description of the Central London Hatchery of Brave New World, the motto "Community, Identity, Stability" and the "row on receding row and tier above tier of bottles glint[ing] with innumerable rubies". I am disappointed. :p

EDIT: Also, fixed my error.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General