NATION

PASSWORD

should there be compulsory military training in the UK?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ideal Britain
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2020
Ex-Nation

Update

Postby Ideal Britain » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:30 pm

Conscientious objectors
It's training, they're not being deployed to fight.
Northern Ireland
Those with terrrorist tendencies are small number of people who can already exercise the combat aspect of it through shooting ranges etc. if they're not convicted. And if they are don't train them.
Alternative service
The point is to promote awareness of how the military operates.
An MT alt-history Britain.
Year: 2021

British mixed-race (white and South Asian) Muslim Pashtun, advocate of Islamic unity.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:32 pm

Ideal Britain wrote:Conscientious objectors
Northern Ireland
Those with terrrorist tendencies are small number of people who can already exercise the combat aspect of it through shooting ranges etc. if they're not convicted. And if they are don't train them.
Alternative service

And if knowing that is so vital how has our society been able to function perfectly well without it?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:33 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Heloin wrote:You either can or can't have this effect the people of Northern Ireland. If you train the kid of a loyalist but bar the kid of a republican then you're showing preference towards one community, you can't do that without fuelling that fire again. But if you try and force Irish Catholic to do this then you'll throw fuel on that fire.

Sure they'll be pressed into the military training too but not any more or less than anyone else since it's indiscriminate. Are you trying to suggest that catholics are less loyal and thus should be watched and disenfranchised as a security risk? If you say so..

You can't vet for terrorist sympathies without creating terrorists in Northern Ireland. You try and force Irish Catholics to join up then you'll give fuel to the IRA. You try and bar Unionist from joining up then you'll see loyalist groups banding together into the UVF again. If you vet for terrorists sympathies then you'll give fuel to whichever side you vet against. If you don't vet anyone then you've trained up a bunch of young people for war on a deeply divided island.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:37 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Unironically I think the book makes some excellent points. The movie is a cheesy satire, but to some degree, yes.
The book for example specifically mentions non military options being available, something not mentioned in the movie, which of course deliberately leaves out many subtle things, as well as white washing the main characters.
But anyways a detailed critique is only tangential to the topic.

I haven't read the book but I also agree with the general primise (again not to the 'turned up to 11' extent of the film) as it's the bases of the unritten 'social contract'.

I agree. The movie deliberately exaggerates it, adds fascist overtones not in the book and skips the anti-rascist message in the book, (also recklessly use the soldiers as cannon fodder) but the book lays out the detailed basis in social contract the movie only covers in a very cursory, exaggerated way. (Yes in the book actually the mobile infantry are an elite, well equipped force with full power armor, not early WWI style mass waves).

And jailing people who skip out is difficult and causes protests.
Simply making the vote contingent on it reduces the issues with protests as those not doing it get most constitutional rights, same as a resident alien but not voting.

Anyways it should have a non military alternative as well, for people unfit for or unwilling to do military service but still able to serve in another capacity.
Last edited by Novus America on Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:37 pm

Ideal Britain wrote:Northern Ireland

Very few people these days are actually members of terrorist groups anymore. So what are the terrorist sympathies you'd actually be vetting for if you won't catch anyone who was actually in a terrorist group?

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:38 pm

Ideal Britain wrote:Conscientious objectors
Northern Ireland
Alternative service

Will you just answer my fucking question, are you going to make Irish Catholics in NI take part in compulsory military training for the British military in this idea of yours? And i dont want some snide stupid comment about those with "Terrorist tendencies" unless you are trying to imply Irish Catholics have Terrorist tendencies as a whole.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:39 pm

Heloin wrote:
Ideal Britain wrote:Northern Ireland

Very few people these days are actually members of terrorist groups anymore. So what are the terrorist sympathies you'd actually be vetting for if you won't catch anyone who was actually in a terrorist group?

Im near certain at this point he is referring to Nationalists with this comment, despite the fact Loyalist terrorists are still active.

Oh wait no sorry i shouldnt mention them.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:39 pm

Heloin wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
Sure they'll be pressed into the military training too but not any more or less than anyone else since it's indiscriminate. Are you trying to suggest that catholics are less loyal and thus should be watched and disenfranchised as a security risk? If you say so..

You can't vet for terrorist sympathies without creating terrorists in Northern Ireland.

People are vetted all the time, the government to just expand that to the national service.

You try and force Irish Catholics to join up then you'll give fuel to the IRA.

If that fuel is "they're forcing us to do something that everyone else has to do anyway" then they're probably already IRA.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:41 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Heloin wrote:You can't vet for terrorist sympathies without creating terrorists in Northern Ireland.

People are vetted all the time, the government to just expand that to the national service.

If that fuel is "they're forcing us to do something that everyone else has to do anyway" then they're probably already IRA.

Do you really not see the issue with forcing Irish Catholics to do military training for the British Military?

Because i sure as shit wouldnt fucking do it if i was physically fit enough and that most certainly does not make me IRA for giving off about it.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:44 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Heloin wrote:You can't vet for terrorist sympathies without creating terrorists in Northern Ireland.

You seem to think your being clever, let me spell this out more clearly. If you force Northern Irish people to train to be soldiers you will train terrorists and bolster terrorist sympathies. If you vet for terrorist sympathies you will exclude either Unionist or Nationalists. There is literally no way of having compulsory military training in Northern Ireland without fuelling terrorism and sectarian violence.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:45 pm

What are you going to do with all the people who refuse to take part, imprison them? It all seems very un-British to me.
Everything is intertwinkled

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:46 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

Do you really not see the issue with forcing Irish Catholics to do military training for the British Military?

Because i sure as shit wouldnt fucking do it if i was physically fit enough and that most certainly does not make me IRA for giving off about it.

Would you object to doing a none military option such as say park conservation? Having a civilian alternative is not only possible, all EU countries with conscription have such.

And this is why you instead make the ability to vote dependent on it. That way people who are not invested in the system simply do not do it.

But I can see the argument for exempting NI as you did in the past. Although that has issues too.
One purpose of such a system is to build a common experience and get people to interact with people of other classes and races.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:47 pm

Heloin wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

You seem to think your being clever, let me spell this out more clearly. If you force Northern Irish people to train to be soldiers you will train terrorists and bolster terrorist sympathies. If you vet for terrorist sympathies you will exclude either Unionist or Nationalists. There is literally no way of having compulsory military training in Northern Ireland without fuelling terrorism and sectarian violence.

Imagine going to Derry and telling people who live in the Bogside they are going to do military training in the British Army starting next summer.

Or flip it, say in a United Ireland you go to the Shankill and tell people there they are doing military training in the Irish Defence Forces.

You would not get out alive because it would be such a stupid and volatile decision.

Dominioan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dominioan » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:48 pm

I would be okay with it if there were civil service opt-outs, and if it applies to everyone equally (besides like disabled people and stuff obviously)
Help i'm addicted to pain so I keep coming back to this site
Direct rule from Oklahoma City
Cool person

I've read 1984, so I can confirm this is in fact 1984

BOOMER SOONER
CHOP ON

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:48 pm

Novus America wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Do you really not see the issue with forcing Irish Catholics to do military training for the British Military?

Would you object to doing a none military option such as say park conservation? Having a civilian alternative is not only possible, all EU countries with conscription have such.

And this is why you instead make the ability to vote dependent on it. That way people who are not invested in the system simply do not do it.

But I can see the argument for exempting NI as you did in the past. Although that has issues too.
One purpose of such a system is to build a common experience and get people to interact with people of other classes and races.

A civilian alternative? Thats different, and would depend on exactly the nature of said alternative.

But the British military? Not a chance.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:50 pm

Lol no.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:50 pm

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:What are you going to do with all the people who refuse to take part, imprison them? It all seems very un-British to me.

Not sure how un British it is considering Britain has a long history of compulsory service, under different guises.
But the best way is to simply say they cannot get certain benefits, rather than actually jailing them. Carrot not stick.
And have non-military options.

This is not a novel concept, several countries have such systems.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Dominioan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dominioan » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:51 pm

Dominioan wrote:I would be okay with it if there were civil service opt-outs, and if it applies to everyone equally (besides like disabled people and stuff obviously)

But I’m not British and this is just my in general opinion on compulsory military stuff.
Help i'm addicted to pain so I keep coming back to this site
Direct rule from Oklahoma City
Cool person

I've read 1984, so I can confirm this is in fact 1984

BOOMER SOONER
CHOP ON

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:51 pm

Heloin wrote:You seem to think your being clever, let me spell this out more clearly. If you force Northern Irish people to train to be soldiers you will train terrorists and bolster terrorist sympathies. If you vet for terrorist sympathies you will exclude either Unionist or Nationalists. There is literally no way of having compulsory military training in Northern Ireland without fuelling terrorism and sectarian violence.

Imagine going to Derry and telling people who live in the Bogside they are going to do military training in the British Army starting next summer.

Or flip it, say in a United Ireland you go to the Shankill and tell people there they are doing military training in the Irish Defence Forces.

You would not get out alive because it would be such a stupid and volatile decision.

I'm thinking about going up the Falls Road and telling people about a wonder of serving in the Queens Army.

Ideal Britain
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:54 pm

SD_Film Artists wrote:

Why would you not?

British mixed-race (white and South Asian) Muslim Pashtun, advocate of Islamic unity.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:55 pm

Novus America wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:What are you going to do with all the people who refuse to take part, imprison them? It all seems very un-British to me.

Not sure how un British it is considering Britain has a long history of compulsory service, under different guises.
But the best way is to simply say they cannot get certain benefits, rather than actually jailing them. Carrot not stick.
And have non-military options.

This is not a novel concept, several countries have such systems.

We had conscription for four years during the first world war and about twenty years for the second and after. Most of the time we don't have conscription, hence it being un-British.
Everything is intertwinkled

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:56 pm

IMO an armed, informed, trained populace isn't just excellent for foreign defense but for domestic defense against tyranny as well.

Of course one wonders if this isn't just an excuse to indoctrinate people into preserving the status quo.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Ideal Britain
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ideal Britain » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:57 pm

The Rich Port wrote:IMO an armed, informed, trained populace isn't just excellent for foreign defense but for domestic defense against tyranny as well.

Of course one wonders if this isn't just an excuse to indoctrinate people into preserving the status quo.

1. yes, actually.

2. No because political ideology isn't taught at Army, Royal Navy or RAF basic training

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:57 pm

Novus America wrote:

A civilian alternative? Thats different, and would depend on exactly the nature of said alternative.

But the British military? Not a chance.

All EU countries have alternative civilian service if they have mandatory military training/service.
As it is mandated by the EU to have such an alternative for conscientious objectors.

But given you are open to the idea of an alternative, that seems an approach to take. The details of the alternative are open, but widely used options would be medical and firefighting, other civil defense emergency service, environmental/forestry/parkland service or restoration, etc.
I believe in keeping a good variety of options available as it makes sure people can best provide the community service in a way beat suited for their interests and abilities.

Not everyone is best suited for military service.
The military might be the main, default option, but other options should be available.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:59 pm

Ideal Britain wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Do you really not see the issue with forcing Irish Catholics to do military training for the British Military?

Why would you not?

Why would an Irishman from Belfast whose community suffered massacres and abuse at the hands of the British military only a few decades ago not wana take part in military training in the British military?

Oh gee, probably because i dont like their camouflage options i'd say.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General