NATION

PASSWORD

Australian Political & Infrastructure Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:19 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Unnecessary censorship from Big Tech? Is this news now? This is a global problem. Why do you think Donald Trump wants to sue them? I don't like Donald Trump, but he's 100% right in this regard! Seriously, unnecessary censorship by the tech companies is the norm, not the exception. Not the exception at all. Meanwhile actual terrorists, people who actually cause violence for religious/political reasons get paid by the big tech companies, or at least Google. Big Tech's unnecessary censorship is a global problem. Not just Australia, but global and is an issue with these companies, rather than Australia. The sooner they're held accountable, the better

Sure, but why is the government enforcing things like this? It doesn't stop Google or Zuckerberg paying no tax, like many big companies do,
and it doesn't solve cyberbullying-there will always be people looking to irk somebody for adrenaline. Not to say there shouldn't be something done, but it's like when the Courier Mail complains about rail crossings - there's always going to be that one guy. They just need to be dealt with better, and I think some of Australia's politicians seriously need to grow some skin.

Sure, I hate Google. I switched to DuckDuckGo, then Ecosia, after watching a 7-part documentary on how much power the social media giants have. How YouTube's screwed over its userbase AND created a virtual monopoly - since ZippCast, Vid.me and Vanillo have failed, the only things are BitChute - which hosts a lot of conspiracy content, but generally less censorious, Vimeo, and DailyMotion, how Facebook has become the antithesis to the concept of privacy, how Digital Distributors and Payment Processors make their products less user-friendly and can ban you for any reason, like PayPal or Patreon has done, and Google's bullsh*t.

I think they need to start paying WAY more tax first. It
bruz

Not affiliated with Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company
or any associated firms

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:17 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Unnecessary censorship from Big Tech? Is this news now? This is a global problem. Why do you think Donald Trump wants to sue them? I don't like Donald Trump, but he's 100% right in this regard! Seriously, unnecessary censorship by the tech companies is the norm, not the exception. Not the exception at all. Meanwhile actual terrorists, people who actually cause violence for religious/political reasons get paid by the big tech companies, or at least Google. Big Tech's unnecessary censorship is a global problem. Not just Australia, but global and is an issue with these companies, rather than Australia. The sooner they're held accountable, the better

Sure, but why is the government enforcing things like this? It doesn't stop Google or Zuckerberg paying no tax, like many big companies do,
and it doesn't solve cyberbullying-there will always be people looking to irk somebody for adrenaline. Not to say there shouldn't be something done, but it's like when the Courier Mail complains about rail crossings - there's always going to be that one guy. They just need to be dealt with better, and I think some of Australia's politicians seriously need to grow some skin.

Sure, I hate Google. I switched to DuckDuckGo, then Ecosia, after watching a 7-part documentary on how much power the social media giants have. How YouTube's screwed over its userbase AND created a virtual monopoly - since ZippCast, Vid.me and Vanillo have failed, the only things are BitChute - which hosts a lot of conspiracy content, but generally less censorious, Vimeo, and DailyMotion, how Facebook has become the antithesis to the concept of privacy, how Digital Distributors and Payment Processors make their products less user-friendly and can ban you for any reason, like PayPal or Patreon has done, and Google's bullsh*t.

I think they need to start paying WAY more tax first. It

Fuck them. THey've screwed me over badly and they screwed others too. I know first hand how they screw people over and I think they need better regulation over all, everything from taxation to the nitty-gritty of everything. Also, I don't think that tax avoision is worse crime than physically giving money to terrorist organisations, something which they were never been punished for. I mean, sure, paying no tax is horrible, but funding Daesh (ISIL) is even worse. Google's advertisers had to keep them accountable for that, and even then, they did a half-arsed job at stopping it, that ending up hurting many legitimate, small, independent news organisations in the process .

Australian rePublic wrote:Do you work for Annastacia Palaszczuk or anything? The way you deal with me criticising her seems to suggest that

Hell, no.
I don't work for any politician. I'm just a Queenslander who happens to like Anna
You think she's a knob, and I agree for the meme value to give her a funny nickname.

What's so great about her? People can't see their family members in Queensland due to having to self-isolate, yet she thinks she has the obligation to fuck off to Tokyo. This is worse than Scomo fucking off to Hawaii during the bush fires, and that's only the beginning of why I dislike her
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:46 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Fuck them. THey've screwed me over badly and they screwed others too. I know first hand how they screw people over and I think they need better regulation over all, everything from taxation to the nitty-gritty of everything. Also, I don't think that tax avoision is worse crime than physically giving money to terrorist organisations, something which they were never been punished for. I mean, sure, paying no tax is horrible, but funding Daesh (ISIL) is even worse. Google's advertisers had to keep them accountable for that, and even then, they did a half-arsed job at stopping it, that ending up hurting many legitimate, small, independent news organisations in the process .

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:What's so great about her? People can't see their family members in Queensland due to having to self-isolate, yet she thinks she has the obligation to fuck off to Tokyo. This is worse than Scomo fucking off to Hawaii during the bush fires, and that's only the beginning of why I dislike her

....she's not Deb Frecklington or Campbell Newman. Plus, QLD wasn't in lockdown as long as VIC.

Question: Would Trad have made a better Premier? She was a gun.
Last edited by Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts on Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
bruz

or any associated firms

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:47 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Fuck them. THey've screwed me over badly and they screwed others too. I know first hand how they screw people over and I think they need better regulation over all, everything from taxation to the nitty-gritty of everything. Also, I don't think that tax avoision is worse crime than physically giving money to terrorist organisations, something which they were never been punished for. I mean, sure, paying no tax is horrible, but funding Daesh (ISIL) is even worse. Google's advertisers had to keep them accountable for that, and even then, they did a half-arsed job at stopping it, that ending up hurting many legitimate, small, independent news organisations in the process .

....she's not Deb Frecklington. Would Trad have made a better Premier? She was a gun.

The lesser of two evils does not mean it's not evil. I don't know enough about Trad to comment
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:53 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
....she's not Deb Frecklington. Would Trad have made a better Premier? She was a gun.

The lesser of two evils does not mean it's not evil. I don't know enough about Trad to comment

Policy > character. But character is important too. Daniel Andrews refused to talk to a Sky News journo because of
how...well, you know how Sky is. Anna did the same to a News Corp journalist.
Daniel Andrews did it too.

Listen, I don't know anymore,
so I don't really have anything more to comment on Palasczczuk.
Who would you prefer?
bruz

or any associated firms

New Jacobland
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jacobland » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:55 am

Surely Palasczcuk is joking? A premier who has pushed for hard borders making it difficult for people to see say dying loved ones is going to take a nice holiday in Japan for the Olympics. Wow, Palasczcuk has hit a new low.
Link here

My nation does not reflect my IRL views

If I am in a non-The Western Isles RP, ignore all factbooks not marked [FORUM].

Dislikes: Guns, warfare, CCP, Modi, North Korea, cigarettes

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:58 am

Australian rePublic wrote:The lesser of two evils does not mean it's not evil. I don't know enough about Trad to comment

Policy > character. But character is important too. Daniel Andrews refused to talk to a Sky News journo because of
how...well, you know how Sky is. Anna did the same to a News Corp journalist.
Daniel Andrews did it too.

Listen, I don't know anymore,
so I don't really have anything more to comment on Palasczczuk.
Who would you prefer?

Policy is indeed better than character, unless your basing policy on your own personal vendettas and personal interests to further policy, as is the case with Palaszczuk. She didn't even tell Berejiklian that she was opening the border. Berejiklian had to hear it from the news, like the rest of us. If I had to choose between Dan Andrews and Palaszczuk, I'd probably shove my head behind the refrigerator and give myself a coma until the next election.

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:04 am

Australian rePublic wrote:. If I had to choose between Dan Andrews and Palaszczuk, I'd probably shove my head behind the refrigerator and give myself a coma until the next election.

Then who would you prefer as QLD Premier? Greens cant do anything, and I don't believe
David whatever-his-name-is, I think it's Crisafulli.

Okay, choose between McGowan, Palaszczuk, or Andrews.
bruz

or any associated firms

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:05 am

Australian rePublic wrote:. If I had to choose between Dan Andrews and Palaszczuk, I'd probably shove my head behind the refrigerator and give myself a coma until the next election.

Then who would you prefer as QLD Premier? Greens cant do anything, and I don't believe

McGowan.

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:09 am

McGowan.

Okay, then.
But what about the state + federal leaders on climate policy? (in just Australia, forget the rest of the world)
bruz

or any associated firms

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:23 am

Australian rePublic wrote:McGowan.

Okay, then.
But what about the state + federal leaders on climate policy? (in just Australia, forget the rest of the world)

In most cases, climate policy is smoke and mirrors. I said it before, and I'll say it again. The best climate policy is to subsidie cheap alternatives to what we currently have. Anything beyond that is either punishing the poor, smoke and mirrors, and/or a major inconvenience to everybody, to the poimt where it's not tolerated by the public

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:38 am

Australian rePublic wrote:In most cases, climate policy is smoke and mirrors. I said it before, and I'll say it again. The best climate policy is to subsidie cheap alternatives to what we currently have. Anything beyond that is either punishing the poor, smoke and mirrors, and/or a major inconvenience to everybody, to the poimt where it's not tolerated by the public

But we need climate policy, and fast. Dilly-dallying won't work. We need a climate policy that won't cripple the economy. A slight drop in Rio Tinto's profits is nothing - something they perceive as a threat to business, for some reason, and why not start up cheap incentives for businesses like yours to install solar? Green banks like CEFC and ARENA do this.

Climate change won't solve itself. Shell and BHP aren't interested. The man who waved coal in Parliament certainly isn't interested. The guys who said 'coal is good for humanity' and 'Adani has been a little Aussie battler' are averse to the policies of 'inner-city latte sippers.'

I see future in people and orgs like Greta Thunberg, Greenpeace, and the people who said Sussan Ley has a duty to protect children from climate change when considering a climate-damaging new coal mine in the Liverpool Plains.
Last edited by Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts on Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruz

or any associated firms

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:56 am

Australian rePublic wrote:In most cases, climate policy is smoke and mirrors. I said it before, and I'll say it again. The best climate policy is to subsidie cheap alternatives to what we currently have. Anything beyond that is either punishing the poor, smoke and mirrors, and/or a major inconvenience to everybody, to the poimt where it's not tolerated by the public

But we need climate policy, and fast. Dilly-dallying won't work. We need a climate policy that won't cripple the economy. A slight drop in Rio Tinto's profits is nothing - something they perceive as a threat to business, for some reason, and why not start up cheap incentives for businesses like yours to install solar? Green banks like CEFC and ARENA do this.

Climate change won't solve itself. Shell and BHP aren't interested. The man who waved coal in Parliament certainly isn't interested. The guys who said 'coal is good for humanity' and 'Adani has been a little Aussie battler' are averse to the policies of 'inner-city latte sippers.'

I see future in people and orgs like Greta Thunberg, Greenpeace, and the people who said Sussan Ley has a duty to protect children from climate change when considering a climate-damaging new coal mine in the Liverpool Plains.

We could need a climate policy as much as we want. It's not gonna change the fact that that policy will either be smoke and mirrors OR punish the poor by rewarding the rich. Sure, taxing Rio Tinto won't hurt their bottom line significantly, but it will hurt mom & pop miners, which will lead Rio Tinto to become even more powerful now that the competition is out of the way. There are some some big companies that would support things such as carbon taxes, knowing that it'll hurt their mom & pop competitors. As much as we need climate policy, it doesn't change the fact that it's either smoke and mirrors or it rewards the wealthy by punishing the poor. Screaming "but we need it" won't change either of those facts. Let's call your bluff. What climate policy would you implement that is neither smoke and mirrors, nor will reward the rich by punishing the poor. Here's my idea. An Australian has developed biodegradable, non- plastic cling wrap. Funding intitatives like this to make them commercially viable is what I what I would do for climate policy. What would you do that isn't either smoke and mirrors or rewarding the rich by punishing the poor?

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:01 am

So Sydneysiders who live in Canterbury-Bankstown, Fairfiled or Liverpool LGAs cannot leave their LGA, not even for essential work. That's gonna be a logistical nightmare
This whole thing is fucking stupid. I mean, you could own a butcher shop which is a 10 min walk down the road, but since it's in a different LGA, you can't open. The public transport will be thrown into chaos, I shudder to think what'll happen to Australia Post. This whole fucking thing is stupid. Up until this point, I thought that Gladys was intelligent

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:49 am

Australian rePublic wrote:So Sydneysiders who live in Canterbury-Bankstown, Fairfiled or Liverpool LGAs cannot leave their LGA, not even for essential work. That's gonna be a logistical nightmare
This whole thing is fucking stupid. I mean, you could own a butcher shop which is a 10 min walk down the road, but since it's in a different LGA, you can't open. The public transport will be thrown into chaos, I shudder to think what'll happen to Australia Post. This whole fucking thing is stupid. Up until this point, I thought that Gladys was intelligent

Australia Post will be toast.

And somehow Spotlight keeps its NSW stores open while shutting their VIC ones.
What is going on here?
bruz

or any associated firms

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:00 am

Australian rePublic wrote:So Sydneysiders who live in Canterbury-Bankstown, Fairfiled or Liverpool LGAs cannot leave their LGA, not even for essential work. That's gonna be a logistical nightmare

What is going on here?

Non-essential shops were allowed to be open during lockdown. That changes at midnight. From midnight, they'll be forced to close their doors. Also, keep in mind, the lockdown only affects Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Illawarra and Shellharbour. Outside of those areas, there is no lcokdown, and people are free to do what they want

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:54 am

What is going on here?

Non-essential shops were allowed to be open during lockdown. That changes at midnight. From midnight, they'll be forced to close their doors. Also, keep in mind, the lockdown only affects Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Illawarra and Shellharbour. Outside of those areas, there is no lcokdown, and people are free to do what they want

Right. Okay. I wish you good luck. For the lockdown, and Origin next year
bruz

or any associated firms

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:57 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Non-essential shops were allowed to be open during lockdown. That changes at midnight. From midnight, they'll be forced to close their doors. Also, keep in mind, the lockdown only affects Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Illawarra and Shellharbour. Outside of those areas, there is no lcokdown, and people are free to do what they want

Right. Okay. I wish you good luck. For the lockdown, and Origin next year

Cheers. I wish you all the best too.

Perikuresu
Minister

Founded: Jan 02, 2021

Postby Perikuresu » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:05 am

McGowan.

While I would agree with you I interested to know why, was it because he's the lesser evil than the other two or is it for the things he's done?
A Pacific nation or a MT liberalwank nation whose main premise is composed on a melting pot of cultures and ethnicities
NS Stats non canon, NS Policies canon tho
Aerilia is lying! They're not a unicorn, they're a Welsh Dragon!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:07 am

We Value Your Privacy wrote:

Subsidies. From the guy who's always complaining about taxes.

How about a bit of both. Subsidize the alternatives, with money from a carbon tax?

When am I always complaining about taxes? I don't remember having done that in years. Either case, carbon tax is the classic example of reward the rich by punishing the poor

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:07 am

Who thinks Triple J should be scrapped and replaced with audio broadcasts of Rage?
Same thing, really
I remember when Dig Music existed on Channel 200 and when I was stupid enough
to be fascinated by free-to-air TV
Last edited by Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts on Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruz

or any associated firms

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:09 am

As mich as I want all lockdowns to end globally, forever, I predict that in two weeks time, Sydney will be out of lockdown, whilst parts of Queensland will be entering one

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:00 am

I had an idea for our economic recovery that's better than giving a heap of money to Origin, AGL and other big gas companies.

Why not just build a ton of infrastructure, like, idk, fixing Parramatta Road, arts precincts (I love the concept of art), more community spaces, revitalisation of regional towns like Junee or Woodford? Extending the Gold Coast line over the border to Murwillumbah and connecting it with the light rail at Tweed, projects to improve flood mitigation in areas.

Or hell, maybe give public schools a pinch (i.e. 7% more, minimum) more funding than
they currently do!

There are many great ways to start economic recovery. I mean, I know this crossing that got boom gates somewhere near Maryborough. Add more at places like Jaspers Brush, etc, and you have jobs in installing those new boom gates at 200 level crossings. (at least in 2008-09, as far as I know)
bruz

or any associated firms

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:04 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:I had an idea for our economic recovery that's better than giving a heap of money to Origin, AGL and other big gas companies.

Why not just build a ton of infrastructure, like, idk, fixing Parramatta Road, arts precincts (I love the concept of art), more community spaces, revitalisation of regional towns like Junee or Woodford? Extending the Gold Coast line over the border to Murwillumbah and connecting it with the light rail at Tweed, projects to improve flood mitigation in areas.

Or hell, maybe give public schools a pinch (i.e. 7% more, minimum) more funding than
they currently do!

There are many great ways to start economic recovery. I mean, I know this crossing that got boom gates somewhere near Maryborough. Add more at places like Jaspers Brush, etc, and you have jobs in installing those new boom gates at 200 level crossings. (at least in 2008-09, as far as I know)

I'm sorry, but how exactly does building parks and green space help the economy? Temporary construction jobs to build them sure, but beyond that. The thing is with a government employ (outside of state owned enterprise, which is a whole different kettle of fish) it makes no difference to the economy whether you pay them minimum wage for unemployment vs minimum wage for working, so for the economy, it makes difference whether you pay a person unemployment or if you pay them to be a gardener (now, of coarse, it gets more complex when taking taxes into account, and the fact that minimum wage is above that of unemployment). The only difference is which level of government pays for that person (i.e. local government, state/territory government or federal government). Saying you're going to create a bunch of government jobs in order to reduce unemployment is a bit redundant.

As for the Gold Coast Light Rail line, I disagree. The Casino-Murwullumbah line, in my opinion, would be better off merging with the Gold Coast heavy rail line, creating a direct service from Brisbane Airport to Casino. The Gold Coast Rail Line should, in my opinion, expand past the border, but along a different alignment. In my opinion, the Casino to Murwillumbah line would be better serviced by heavy rail. The only two problems with that proposal is
1. What would be the case be the case with regards to GO Cards that deep into NSW, and would the NSW government bring the OPAL Card that far into regional NSW, and if so, how would that work?
2. The bloody fucking break in gauge- Australia's biggest fuck up. Do we use QLD's narrow gauge, which is used by the only current operating section of the line, or do we use NSW's standard gauge, which would aid in national gauge standardisation? Grrrr....

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:32 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:I'm sorry, but how exactly does building parks and green space help the economy? Temporary construction jobs to build them sure, but beyond that. The thing is with a government employ (outside of state owned enterprise, which is a whole different kettle of fish) it makes no difference to the economy whether you pay them minimum wage for unemployment vs minimum wage for working, so for the economy, it makes difference whether you pay a person unemployment or if you pay them to be a gardener (now, of coarse, it gets more complex when taking taxes into account, and the fact that minimum wage is above that of unemployment). The only difference is which level of government pays for that person (i.e. local government, state/territory government or federal government). Saying you're going to create a bunch of government jobs in order to reduce unemployment is a bit redundant.

I was just giving ideas. I did include education and healthcare, and there'll be a lot of demand for that in future.
Why not boost those areas?
bruz

or any associated firms

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General