NATION

PASSWORD

Australian Political & Infrastructure Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Sat May 29, 2021 1:31 am

Australian rePublic wrote:It's more that she's extremely unpopular than anything else. Politicians are play politics, after all

Who's playing what politics?
Last edited by Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts on Sat May 29, 2021 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruz

Not affiliated with Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company
or any associated firms

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 29, 2021 1:43 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:It's more that she's extremely unpopular than anything else. Politicians are play politics, after all

Jodi McKay was unpopular so they got rid of her. ALP is playing politics by getting rid of unpopular candidates
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

New Jacobland
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby New Jacobland » Sat May 29, 2021 1:50 am

Australian rePublic wrote:

Jodi McKay was unpopular so they got rid of her. ALP is playing politics by getting rid of unpopular candidates

Isn't that how democracy works? She was unpopular, and baggage for the ALP, so they dumped her. How is that anything out of the ordinary?
Link here

My nation does not reflect my IRL views

If I am in a non-The Western Isles RP, ignore all factbooks not marked [FORUM].

Dislikes: Guns, warfare, CCP, Modi, North Korea, cigarettes

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 29, 2021 2:23 am

New Jacobland wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Jodi McKay was unpopular so they got rid of her. ALP is playing politics by getting rid of unpopular candidates

Isn't that how democracy works? She was unpopular, and baggage for the ALP, so they dumped her. How is that anything out of the ordinary?

It is a how a democracy works and is not out of the ordinary. They wanted a reason, I provided a reason
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat May 29, 2021 2:33 am

Pauline Hanson looks to be the best and brightest hope for Australia overall out of all the options. The only portion of her political platform I don't like, is climate change denialism.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Koletsia
Attaché

Founded: May 24, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Koletsia » Sat May 29, 2021 3:18 am

Saiwania wrote:Pauline Hanson looks to be the best and brightest hope for Australia overall out of all the options. The only portion of her political platform I don't like, is climate change denialism.

Most of her positions are rational for regular working people in the country. However, Hanson is generally an uneducated person prone to influence by any movement that opposes the neoliberal status quo regardless of whether it is based in reality. This unfortunately includes recent trends such as climate change denialism. Politically speaking, however, this doesn't make too much difference in Australia as people have been brainwashed for decades by the media that climate change is a non-issue and merely a tool by insidious "Greens" and the like to destroy the country somehow, at least among baby boomers and the elderly. Younger people are a little more switched-on regarding their manipulation but they tend to be more ignorant regarding the consequences of multiculturalism and much more welcoming of the decline of their own culture.
Last edited by Koletsia on Sat May 29, 2021 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sat May 29, 2021 3:30 am

It's a shame that climate change denialism is still a political position people are prepared to stand on.
Everything is intertwinkled

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Shareholder Action

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Sat May 29, 2021 4:35 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:It's a shame that climate change denialism is still a political position people are prepared to stand on.

Sure, it's been happening since the beginning of time,
but if businesses and government don't take steps to act fast, we
are ALL in big trouble.

This is why I like what Market Forces is doing in getting people to divest to environmentally-responsible
banks and super funds, and get shareholders to withdraw from Adani's coal mine.
BMD, Adani's biggest insurer, has said it won't provide insurance for Adani's coal mine

To do my bit, I've contacted Deutsche Bank about their investment and lending to
Whitehaven's planned expansion of their Vickery Coal Mine.

#StopWhitehaven #StopAdani

If neither party ends up budging on extracting fossil fuels,
I'm voting with my wallet. At least that might do something
Last edited by Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts on Sat May 29, 2021 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruz

or any associated firms

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat May 29, 2021 5:43 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:It's a shame that climate change denialism is still a political position people are prepared to stand on.

Sure, it's been happening since the beginning of time

True.

I vividly remember the leaders of a local tribe in Doggerland assuring us that this whole sea level rise was a hoax, perpetuated by boat salesmen to sell more boats.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 29, 2021 7:49 am

Not political, but, I think there are parts of Australia where there should be towns but currently aren't any. I'd love to have the ability to comission towns there if no one else does. But sadly, I can't comission towns. If I started a political party (which won't happen, and it remains a hyperthetical), if I started a political party, one of my platforms would be to comission such towns

Koletsia
Attaché

Founded: May 24, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Koletsia » Sat May 29, 2021 8:06 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Not political, but, I think there are parts of Australia where there should be towns but currently aren't any. I'd love to have the ability to comission towns there if no one else does. But sadly, I can't comission towns. If I started a political party (which won't happen, and it remains a hyperthetical), if I started a political party, one of my platforms would be to comission such towns

The issue with such things has been that in Australia the federal political establishment post-Whitlam dismissal (i.e. the LNP) has been anti-Keynesian and generally refuses to invest in new infrastructure outside of what is completely necessary for basic functioning of the country. Even what is necessary (for example federal quarantine facilities) is something they refuse to deal with. Ideologically they believe the free market will do anything worth doing and have, through the pro-LNP media (i.e. basically all media in Australia), actively propagandised the idea that anything more than funding basic level infrastructure would require taxation of working people of Australia to be 110% and would totally ruin the country (of course even they know that this is ridiculous, but it wins votes regardless). We know that massive infrastructure projects are very possible as they have been accomplished and have benefited the country greatly without financially crippling anybody, but unfortunately people have been conditioned to believe this narrative over the decades.

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Transport

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Sat May 29, 2021 5:55 pm

I once drafted up a hypothetical map of a possible extension of the South Coast Line, but seeing how much forest it runs through, and the terrain, I can see why there isn't a feasible route to Ulladulla, or even into Nowra's CBD. Too expensive, too much of an impact on urban and rural environments.

Also, I hear people on the Sunshine Coast don't want a new light rail. I can see why, as they don't want the Sunny Coast to become the Gold Coast. The main line needs bloody upgrading though, it's all single track w/ passing loops north of Caboolture, two services to and from Gympie each day, and one station's shelter (Traveston, the second-most northerly station, and least used, on the Brisbane rail network) is falling to pieces because of termites.

However, I can see why there's only two services to and from Gympie. It's likely because of the fact that most will not care to catch a train to Gympie when they can drive. (to the east of Gympie, given they're building a bypass of the place) And one line in Brisbane was partially shut (the Doomben line) past Doomben. The trains that do go past Doomben are freight trains bound for the Port.

Rail transport can be weird. But I guess you can justify it.
bruz

or any associated firms

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat May 29, 2021 8:59 pm

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:I once drafted up a hypothetical map of a possible extension of the South Coast Line, but seeing how much forest it runs through, and the terrain, I can see why there isn't a feasible route to Ulladulla, or even into Nowra's CBD. Too expensive, too much of an impact on urban and rural environments.

Also, I hear people on the Sunshine Coast don't want a new light rail. I can see why, as they don't want the Sunny Coast to become the Gold Coast. The main line needs bloody upgrading though, it's all single track w/ passing loops north of Caboolture, two services to and from Gympie each day, and one station's shelter (Traveston, the second-most northerly station, and least used, on the Brisbane rail network) is falling to pieces because of termites.

However, I can see why there's only two services to and from Gympie. It's likely because of the fact that most will not care to catch a train to Gympie when they can drive. (to the east of Gympie, given they're building a bypass of the place) And one line in Brisbane was partially shut (the Doomben line) past Doomben. The trains that do go past Doomben are freight trains bound for the Port.

Rail transport can be weird. But I guess you can justify it.

My idea actually would be to bring more snow to the people of NSW who don't want to go skiing. My idea would take form in both the Snowy Mountains and outside of the Snowy Mountains, where snow is rarer, but still possible. I'd even have a way to make it green and possibly even profitable. I'd consider contacting a property developer, but I'm not sure they'd take me seriously. If someone was interested in such a proposal and capable of doing something, anything about it, I'd share my finer details with them. Part of my proposal too would be quite easy to implement for those who build infrastructure. Sometimes I regret not studying urban planning. It would be very, very easy for infrastructure builders to justify and build such infrastructure. Very easy

As for a South Coast train line, NSW, there have been plans to build a rail line from Jervis Bay to Canberra since forever, but it never came to fruition. Rail lines can be tricky, but there is an environmental case for them, and not only that plus, wildlife bridges would mitigate the environmental damage. Yes, they would require a few trees to be cut down, but you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs, and trees can easily be replaced. Very easily. It would be better for the environment to build a rail line and replace the trees along the route than to not build a rail line and thus have everyone rely on cars. If there were a rail line from Canberra to Jervis Bay, the logical next step would be to expand the line from Sydney to Jervis Bay. In fact, many people are advocating for the line from Sydney to Bomaderry to be expanded to Jervis Bay. Wildlife bridges could be implemented in rural areas, and potentially underground from Bomaderry through to Nowra and south of Nowra till the urban area ends. A concern would be noise. That would be a concern, but if you build it in the forest, it would be fine. No, my ultimate goal would be to build more infrastructure for the Snowy parts of NSW, which would be easy for anyone who builds infrastructure

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:18 am

What's everyones thoughts on the Government's handling of the Vaccine rollout?
(Note: it was on the Saturday Paper.)

Plus, I just have to say, I picked up a copy of the SMH, and smackdab on the front page, questions over NSW Labor 'who's gonna lead now' cos they lost a by-election which Labor could not win. Upper Hunter is coal country. You cannot elect Labor for more than a few terms in coal country.

So what's the surprise then? Labor weren't supposed to win it. So why the 'oh my god, this was the deciding by-election for Labor'?
Honestly, this is pretty shocking - and a little disgusting. Jodi wasn't that unpopular, was she? I mean, yeah, that one scandal, and yes, the polls aren't in her favour, but ffs, they only represent those who actually answer the polls - AND they can be manipulated if left unchecked.

Who do you think should run for Opp. Leader, Aus Republic?
Last edited by Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts on Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
bruz

or any associated firms

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:50 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:What's everyones thoughts on the Government's handling of the Vaccine rollout?
(Note: it was on the Saturday Paper.)

Plus, I just have to say, I picked up a copy of the SMH, and smackdab on the front page, questions over NSW Labor 'who's gonna lead now' cos they lost a by-election which Labor could not win. Upper Hunter is coal country. You cannot elect Labor for more than a few terms in coal country.

So what's the surprise then? Labor weren't supposed to win it. So why the 'oh my god, this was the deciding by-election for Labor'?
Honestly, this is pretty shocking - and a little disgusting. Jodi wasn't that unpopular, was she? I mean, yeah, that one scandal, and yes, the polls aren't in her favour, but ffs, they only represent those who actually answer the polls - AND they can be manipulated if left unchecked.

Who do you think should run for Opp. Leader, Aus Republic?

It's between Chris Minns and Michael Daley. I think Minns would be better and more popular. Also, Daley has already lost an election, so I don't think it would be a good move to reinstate him

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:54 am

My sister purchased a car not too long ago and she gets me to fill it with petrol for her. When reading the operator's manual to see how to open the fuel gauge, ad it's an old car, it said "unleaded only, do not use leaded petrol". I then remembered the existence of leaded petrol and how it was fazed out. I was then curious about leaded petrol, which lead me down an interesting rabbit hole.

Did you know that whilst Australian feul has a MAXIMUM of 10% ethanol (E10), many, many other countries require a MINIMUM of 10% ethanol? And Australian feul contains much more sulfir than feel in other countries, and that the EU tried to negotiate a lower sulfir quantity in our fuel into trade deals? Bloody interesting!
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Rail Crossings and Mice

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:23 am

Australian rePublic wrote:My sister purchased a car not too long ago and she gets me to fill it with petrol for her. When reading the operator's manual to see how to open the fuel gauge, ad it's an old car, it said "unleaded only, do not use leaded petrol". I then remembered the existence of leaded petrol and how it was fazed out. I was then curious about leaded petrol, which lead me down an interesting rabbit hole.

Did you know that whilst Australian feul has a MAXIMUM of 10% ethanol (E10), many, many other countries require a MINIMUM of 10% ethanol? And Australian feul contains much more sulfir than feel in other countries, and that the EU tried to negotiate a lower sulfir quantity in our fuel into trade deals? Bloody interesting!

Cool!

Also, I heard a home out in north-west NSW
got destroyed by fire due to mice chewing on wires.
Has anyone on the outskirts of Sydney (e.g. Picton, Katoomba, Richmond)
been having huge mice influxes lately?

Also also, just curious, what do you think are some of the worst rail crossings on the NSW rail network (can include Blue Mts/S. HIghlands/SC Lines), but there's not many in Sydney, I believe
Last edited by Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts on Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruz

or any associated firms

Kenobot
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kenobot » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:38 am

Australian rePublic wrote:My sister purchased a car not too long ago and she gets me to fill it with petrol for her. When reading the operator's manual to see how to open the fuel gauge, ad it's an old car, it said "unleaded only, do not use leaded petrol". I then remembered the existence of leaded petrol and how it was fazed out. I was then curious about leaded petrol, which lead me down an interesting rabbit hole.

Cool!

Also also, just curious, what do you think are some of the worst rail crossings on the NSW rail network (can include Blue Mts/S. HIghlands/SC Lines), but there's not many in Sydney, I believe

I know some of my relations out that way have been catching 30-40 mice a day with traps outside. It's pretty bad
Australian

Social Liberal Hawk
Pro: Democracy, Keynes, Don Chipp, Menzies, Malcolm Turnbull, interventionism, renewables and nuclear power
Anti: Fascism, Communism, populism, authoritarianism, reactionaries, coal

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:16 pm

Kenobot wrote:
Cool!

I know some of my relations out that way have been catching 30-40 mice a day with traps outside. It's pretty bad

Fucking government doesn’t want shit to do with that.
Can even agree if someone got raped.
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.
Update: apparently it’s bleating sheep.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:04 pm

Mathuvan Union wrote:
Kenobot wrote:I know some of my relations out that way have been catching 30-40 mice a day with traps outside. It's pretty bad

Can't even agree if someone got raped? You mean a complex legal matter which required the careful deliberation of a 12 person jury and a magistrate in a full court of law over a manner which could potentially send someone to jail for a lengthy period of time? Thank God the government "can't decide" whether or not someone was raped. That's why we have courts of law!

Kenobot
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kenobot » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:15 pm

Mathuvan Union wrote:
Kenobot wrote:I know some of my relations out that way have been catching 30-40 mice a day with traps outside. It's pretty bad

The state government is literally doing something about it though?
It's not a federal responsibility, so no idea what the rape comment has to do with a mice plague, but as Australian rePublic said, it's a complex legal matter; not a simple black and white situation. Obviously they should have done more to support her, but again no idea what that has to do with this.
Last edited by Kenobot on Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Australian

Social Liberal Hawk
Pro: Democracy, Keynes, Don Chipp, Menzies, Malcolm Turnbull, interventionism, renewables and nuclear power
Anti: Fascism, Communism, populism, authoritarianism, reactionaries, coal

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:53 am

Here we have a high profile instance of a lying police officer in a rape case

viewtopic.php?p=38709435#p38709435

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:24 am

Cool!

I've heard the mouse plague is moving to Sydney, but it's yet to reach my suburb and hopefully won't. As for Sydney's rail network, it's quite good given the population density and the fact that the ALP only built 7 stations during their 20 years in power. The LNPO is building a significant amount of rail infrastructure for Sydney, but even though it's one of the largest in the world it's still playing catch-up to the ALP doing nothing. As for rail crossings, I recon the worst was the one over Parramatta Rd. Thank God the biggest thoroughfare in Sydney no longer has a rail crossing running through it. Beyond that, there really aren't that many, at least not in the areas I frequent. Maybe the one in Bomaderry, but even then, it's not that a big deal unless a freight train is passing, as freight trains are infinitely long, but there's only something like two of them a day. To their credit, the government is getting rid job of getting rid of the bad ones. I don't know, there may be some really really bad on somewhere out Back of Bourke or something, but considering that I've never really driven in that area, I wouldn't be familiar with it

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:17 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Mathuvan Union wrote:Fucking government doesn’t want shit to do with that.

Can't even agree if someone got raped? You mean a complex legal matter which required the careful deliberation of a 12 person jury and a magistrate in a full court of law over a manner which could potentially send someone to jail for a lengthy period of time? Thank God the government "can't decide" whether or not someone was raped. That's why we have courts of law!

My point of order was more that the government itself couldn’t actually admit that the person was raped—it’s a problem that half the government is saying it’s bullshit.
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.
Update: apparently it’s bleating sheep.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:36 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Can't even agree if someone got raped? You mean a complex legal matter which required the careful deliberation of a 12 person jury and a magistrate in a full court of law over a manner which could potentially send someone to jail for a lengthy period of time? Thank God the government "can't decide" whether or not someone was raped. That's why we have courts of law!

My point of order was more that the government itself couldn’t actually admit that the person was raped—it’s a problem that half the government is saying it’s bullshit.

Once again, they can't admit it until he's found guilt in court of law

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General