NATION

PASSWORD

Australian Political Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Perikuresu
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 55
Founded: Jan 02, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Perikuresu » Mon May 03, 2021 6:03 am

U think WA's gonna go more left-wing in the next few years? You know, judging from how the Liberals got buried under a f*cking avalanche and loosing most traditionally liberal seats + their grips loosening on the remaining seats they have and loosing the opposition to the Nationals

User avatar
Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Envoy
 
Posts: 246
Founded: Oct 30, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Mon May 03, 2021 7:41 am

Perikuresu wrote:U think WA's gonna go more left-wing in the next few years? You know, judging from how the Liberals got buried under a f*cking avalanche and loosing most traditionally liberal seats + their grips loosening on the remaining seats they have and loosing the opposition to the Nationals


Federally? Hell, no.

Also, Scott M. attended a religious conference on the Gold Coast lately, and well....mmm. I'd spew my thoughts on it,
but I'm going to keep it short and sweet:

I have no problem with religion; I just think church and state should be two separate things.
Last edited by Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts on Mon May 03, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
257 Pandanus Avenue,
Spearswood, QLD
4767
I don't believe in the media to report on topics fairly; most of the mainstream, big ones are corporations who are out to make a profit, and sell their space - and audience - to the highest bidder. So yeah, there's a reason I don't trust the press or cable news.

User avatar
Arisyan
Envoy
 
Posts: 283
Founded: Apr 05, 2020
Democratic Socialists

Postby Arisyan » Mon May 03, 2021 7:57 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:
Perikuresu wrote:U think WA's gonna go more left-wing in the next few years? You know, judging from how the Liberals got buried under a f*cking avalanche and loosing most traditionally liberal seats + their grips loosening on the remaining seats they have and loosing the opposition to the Nationals


Federally? Hell, no.

Also, Scott M. attended a religious conference on the Gold Coast lately, and well....mmm. I'd spew my thoughts on it,
but I'm going to keep it short and sweet:

I have no problem with religion; I just think church and state should be two separate things.


Western Australia has always been a confusing paradox of voting overwhelmingly Labor statewide, but voting overwhelmingly Liberal federally. Same thing in Queensland, and to a lesser extent and on the flip side in South Australia. So you cant really use state voting trends to predict national results.
Pro: Environmentalism, Eco-Socialism, Democratic Socialism, Social Democracy,Progressivism, Pro-choice, Pro-LGTBQ+ rights, Immigration, Bernie Sanders,Secularism, Palestine And Israel, Internationalism, Alter-Globalization.
Anti: Conservatism, Traditionalism, Bigotry, TERF movement, Fascism, Stalinism, Totalitarianism, Laissez-faire capitalism, Libertarianism, Bolsonaro, Religious Fundamentalism, Nationalism


Former Judge of Callista, Former Secretary of State and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Bluecrown Keep.
left-wing socialist
Anatoliyanskiy's OOC nation he uses to debate on NSG.

User avatar
Shrillland
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16274
Founded: Apr 12, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Shrillland » Mon May 03, 2021 4:43 pm

Arisyan wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Perhaps. Perhaps, but Tasmania has become more left winged over the recent years, so we'll see how that pans out


Nope, they get to remain in government. However, it appears two independents are poised to win seats as well, meaning that they could become kingmakers in forming a government. Also strangely, they are really, really slow at counting the votes. They're still at 83% counted. What....what happened?


STV will do that sometimes. Though if the trends are anything to go by, you're right, the Libs will keep their one-seat lead.
Stand with Content Creators Like Me! Stand With The Union!
Plebiscite Plaza 2021
Here's my Takes on LatAm Votes!
In 1963, Doctor Who taught us all we need to know about politics when a cave woman said, "Old men see no further than tomorrow's meat".

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21883
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue May 04, 2021 3:58 am

As much as I like to complain about Australia being a nanny state, I'll give credit where credit is due, in that, there is one aspect of the law where by Australia is an anti-nanny state. THat is when it comes to undertaking. Undertaking is using the curbside vehicle to overtake when driving. (i.e. overtaking using the left lane in countries which drive on the left, or overtaking using the right lane in countries which drive on the right). Undertaking is illegal, or at least discouraged in much of the world, (due to it being deemed too dangerous) but unconditionally legal on multi-lane in Australia and New Zealand. I didn't think I'd ever see Australia be an anti-nanny state in any regard, but credit where credit is due
If you're against political parties who support the CCP, then vote against the Australian Labor Party
The only reason why countries bid to host the games is for tourism. This is why countries plan to boycott the Beijing winter Olympics. By cancelling the 2020/21 Olympics, Japan is defacto recieving the same punishment as China, but Japan did nothing wrong since World War II
Until if and when the Spanish language evolves to allow for gender-neutrality to not be impossible, (which will take at least centuries), the concept of "LatinX" is completely ridiculous
From Greek Ansestry Orthodox Christian
18 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution List of NPC Nations
In-Character posts made by this fictious account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

User avatar
Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Envoy
 
Posts: 246
Founded: Oct 30, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Wed May 05, 2021 1:47 am

I feel that Australia will be screwed if they go to war with China.

Alinta Energy, which has assets in Australia? Chinese-owned.

EnergyAustralia - not Australian, except for the title. Energy Australia is owned by CLP, a Hong Kong-based company.

Massive water station in far-off Queensland dredged from the Murray-Darling? 2% of Straya's water? China, but the US as well. And according to Michael West Media, they don't have to pay capital gains tax for speculating on our water.

Yancoal, major coal company in Australia, operates a bunch of mines (like Glencore does) in the Hunter Valley.

Port of Darwin and Port of Newcastle? Also owned by China. Thanks no thanks..
Largest beef and dairy companies? Gina Rinehart and the Government
sold it off to China.

Bellamy's - largest baby formula producer - also sold to China.
Even some of the ADF's most fragile secrets; $53m was paid to a Chinese company to look after fragile defence secrets.

And given how Australia's embarrassing itself on climate action too,
especially how it's refusing to help the Pacific Islands, which are sinking due to climate change,
I suspect that should a war break out, Australia will be left all on its own.
257 Pandanus Avenue,
Spearswood, QLD
4767
I don't believe in the media to report on topics fairly; most of the mainstream, big ones are corporations who are out to make a profit, and sell their space - and audience - to the highest bidder. So yeah, there's a reason I don't trust the press or cable news.

User avatar
Perikuresu
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 55
Founded: Jan 02, 2021
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Perikuresu » Wed May 05, 2021 1:50 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:I feel that Australia will be screwed if they go to war with China.

Alinta Energy, which has assets in Australia? Chinese-owned.

EnergyAustralia - not Australian, except for the title. Energy Australia is owned by CLP, a Hong Kong-based company.

Massive water station in far-off Queensland dredged from the Murray-Darling? 2% of Straya's water? China, but the US as well. And according to Michael West Media, they don't have to pay capital gains tax for speculating on our water.

Yancoal, major coal company in Australia, operates a bunch of mines (like Glencore does) in the Hunter Valley.

Port of Darwin and Port of Newcastle? Also owned by China. Thanks no thanks..
Largest beef and dairy companies? Gina Rinehart and the Government
sold it off to China.

Bellamy's - largest baby formula producer - also sold to China.
Even some of the ADF's most fragile secrets; $53m was paid to a Chinese company to look after fragile defence secrets.

And given how Australia's embarrassing itself on climate action too,
especially how it's refusing to help the Pacific Islands, which are sinking due to climate change,
I suspect that should a war break out, Australia will be left all on its own.


Also their navy outnumbers America

tbh we should be lessening our trade dependence on China (like Japan did when the Chinese cut off their supply of a certain type of metal used to manufacture tech by just getting them by Vietnam)

User avatar
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21883
Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 05, 2021 3:24 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:I feel that Australia will be screwed if they go to war with China.

Alinta Energy, which has assets in Australia? Chinese-owned.

EnergyAustralia - not Australian, except for the title. Energy Australia is owned by CLP, a Hong Kong-based company.

Massive water station in far-off Queensland dredged from the Murray-Darling? 2% of Straya's water? China, but the US as well. And according to Michael West Media, they don't have to pay capital gains tax for speculating on our water.

Yancoal, major coal company in Australia, operates a bunch of mines (like Glencore does) in the Hunter Valley.

Port of Darwin and Port of Newcastle? Also owned by China. Thanks no thanks..
Largest beef and dairy companies? Gina Rinehart and the Government
sold it off to China.

Bellamy's - largest baby formula producer - also sold to China.
Even some of the ADF's most fragile secrets; $53m was paid to a Chinese company to look after fragile defence secrets.

And given how Australia's embarrassing itself on climate action too,
especially how it's refusing to help the Pacific Islands, which are sinking due to climate change,
I suspect that should a war break out, Australia will be left all on its own.

Australia- China's flee market since K Rudd
If you're against political parties who support the CCP, then vote against the Australian Labor Party
The only reason why countries bid to host the games is for tourism. This is why countries plan to boycott the Beijing winter Olympics. By cancelling the 2020/21 Olympics, Japan is defacto recieving the same punishment as China, but Japan did nothing wrong since World War II
Until if and when the Spanish language evolves to allow for gender-neutrality to not be impossible, (which will take at least centuries), the concept of "LatinX" is completely ridiculous
From Greek Ansestry Orthodox Christian
18 Published Issues and 1 WA Resolution List of NPC Nations
In-Character posts made by this fictious account do not reflect the actions of any real world government

User avatar
New Jacobland
Envoy
 
Posts: 340
Founded: Oct 01, 2019
Anarchy

Postby New Jacobland » Wed May 05, 2021 5:02 am

Arisyan wrote:
Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:
Federally? Hell, no.

Also, Scott M. attended a religious conference on the Gold Coast lately, and well....mmm. I'd spew my thoughts on it,
but I'm going to keep it short and sweet:

I have no problem with religion; I just think church and state should be two separate things.


Western Australia has always been a confusing paradox of voting overwhelmingly Labor statewide, but voting overwhelmingly Liberal federally. Same thing in Queensland, and to a lesser extent and on the flip side in South Australia. So you cant really use state voting trends to predict national results.

As a Western Australian, I think the Federal Labor party has a really bad reputation in the state. People like Albanese really don't help Labor's hopes in WA either.
Link here

My nation does not reflect my IRL views

If I am in a non-The Western Isles RP, ignore all factbooks not marked [FORUM].

Likes: Cricket, tennis, Australia, democracy
Dislikes: Guns, warfare, CCP, Modi, North Korea, cigarettes

User avatar
Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Envoy
 
Posts: 246
Founded: Oct 30, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Sat May 08, 2021 7:39 am

In other news,
and nobody gives a window shutter by now, but anyhoo....

NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro is suing Friendlyjordies for defamation.

And also in other news,
Chris Kenny's 'expose' on Turnbull and Rudd was aired recently.
257 Pandanus Avenue,
Spearswood, QLD
4767
I don't believe in the media to report on topics fairly; most of the mainstream, big ones are corporations who are out to make a profit, and sell their space - and audience - to the highest bidder. So yeah, there's a reason I don't trust the press or cable news.

User avatar
Political Geography
Diplomat
 
Posts: 610
Founded: Feb 16, 2020
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Political Geography » Sat May 08, 2021 11:22 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:In other news,
and nobody gives a window shutter by now, but anyhoo....

NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro is suing Friendlyjordies for defamation.

And also in other news,
Chris Kenny's 'expose' on Turnbull and Rudd was aired recently.


I think it's quite charming how Australian political figures sue each other like that.

"It's true!" -- "No, you're lying" -- "Well the people will decid --"

"Fuck waiting for the people. You're a goddam liar and I'll see you in court!"

You're still allowed to tell arrant porkies in Parliament though. I find that charming!
My flag is the Gall Peters projection.
It is a valid map of the world.
Yes, Africa really is that big!

Inspired by Shofercia: I am a dissident leftist. Also a clown.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alcala-Cordel, Austria-Bohemia-Hungary, Costa Fierro, Disgracia, Heloin, Herzpunkt, Infected Mushroom, Just-An-Illusion, Jutlop, Kilobugya, Luziyca, Muzehnaya, Nakena, New Democratic Republic of Russia, New haven america, Political Geography, Uiiop, Wizlandia

Advertisement

Remove ads