NATION

PASSWORD

Australian Political & Infrastructure Discussion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:08 am

Who here thinks Bathurst 1000 is overrated?

I think Melbourne Cup's overrated. The horse racing industry is a nasty one to be part of. But, of course, Australians love tradition, so full steam ahead.

(if you like Melb. Cup or Bathurst I do not blame you. Just not the biggest fan of huge televised sports events that aren't the nrl.)

While they're entertaining (to some),
I have an unpopular opinion; it's actually contributing to our disreputable drinking and gambling culture.

To quote the YouTube Pooper HourofPoop.....

Promoters:

"I'm going to turn you into dog food.
After I beat the crap outta you."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mLM1RiquHU&t=366s
I don't hate horse races, I hate the promoters who treat animals in this way.

At least the racers at Bathurst aren't treated as badly. I can't say the same for the advertising being shoved into telecasts of live sporting events by major networks. And the poor blokes getting wasted in the grandstands. (It's just a guess.) I get it, networks have to pay for multi-billion dollar sporting deals, but I don't think it's worth further cementing our bad drinking culture.
bruz

Not affiliated with Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company
or any associated firms

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:09 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Imperial isa wrote:Wa all so has the same group of people who keep bring up daylight savings, who should really just move east if they like it some much,seeing WA voted No a number of times on it.

Daylight savings is an excellent idea for people who live far from the equator. But between the lines of the tropics, days are always long enough and there's no point having DS. In fact it's more of a nuisance.

The Tropic of Cancer runs through Queensland and the NT, so they have a good reason not to use DS. For WA it's not so clear cut. Most of the city-dwellers who have to live by the clock live in or around Perth, so you'd think they would get more consideration than the primarily Aboriginal population of the North of the state. But maybe it's that: community by community and town by town, it would be random who would observe "city time" and who wouldn't. That would be a shemozzle.

**Tropic of Capricorn**. The tropic of Cancer is in the Northern Hemisphere. Also, the further you are from the Equator, the more of a disparity there is between winter daylight hours and summer daylight hours. At the Equator, you get 12 hours of sunlight 365 days a year, where by the polar circle has at least one day of twenty-four daylight and one day of twenty-four darkness, upto the poles which have 6 months of daylight and 6 months of darkness. In Southern Hemisphere summer, the further south you, the longer the day is. From the September Equinox to the March Equinox, Perth has more sunlight hours per day than Broome, Cairns has fewer sunlight hours than Brisbane, which has fewer sunlight hours than Sydney, which has fewer sunlight hours than Melbourne, which has fewer sunlight hours than Hobart. I assume that the northern states' unwillingness to adopt daylight savings either has something to do with them being in the desert which is hot during the day, so the people who work office hours would prefer the sun to go down sooner, either that or the fact that it's the tropical wet season (keep in mind that they're both baseless assumptions). Also, WA declaring that daylight savings will only apply south XYZ lattitude is not shomzzle. You wanna see a shomzzle, try being one of the 600,000 people who live on the Tweed-Gold Coast border, who for half the year have to live in one timezone and work in another timezone. I've spoken to one of those persons, and according to him, it's not fun...
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:19 am

Who here thinks Bathurst 1000 is overrated?

I think Melbourne Cup's overrated. The horse racing industry is a nasty one to be part of. But, of course, Australians love tradition, so full steam ahead.

(if you like Melb. Cup or Bathurst I do not blame you. Just not the biggest fan of huge televised sports events that aren't the nrl.)

I have an unpopular opinion; it's actually contributing to our disreputable drinking and gambling culture.

Promoters:

At least the racers at Bathurst aren't treated as badly. I can't say the same for the advertising being shoved into telecasts of live sporting events by major networks. And the poor blokes getting wasted in the grandstands. (It's just a guess.) I get it, networks have to pay their bills, but I still don't like our drinking culture.
bruz

or any associated firms

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:24 am

Lura wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Daylight savings is an excellent idea for people who live far from the equator. But between the lines of the tropics, days are always long enough and there's no point having DS. In fact it's more of a nuisance.

The Tropic of Cancer runs through Queensland and the NT, so they have a good reason not to use DS. For WA it's not so clear cut. Most of the city-dwellers who have to live by the clock live in or around Perth, so you'd think they would get more consideration than the primarily Aboriginal population of the North of the state. But maybe it's that: community by community and town by town, it would be random who would observe "city time" and who wouldn't. That would be a shemozzle.

Is it though? Finland, which is about as far from the equator as you can get, is a major supporter of dumping daylight saving time in the EU. Also the Tropic of Capricorn certainly runs through WA too, though admittedly WA's only population centre of Perth is reasonably far south.

Daylight savings bothers me simply for the fact it makes time zones so needlessly complex. Why the heck does Australia have more time zones than the contiguous United States in summer? Why is Queensland behind SA in summer when it is further east? I just can't understand what benefit it has for anyone or anything.

On a related note, why is ACST and ACDT on a messed up +9:30 / +10:30 offset? I hate trying to convert literally anything that isn't AEST/AEDT to ACST/ACDT because of the bloody half hour that makes no sense. I've been told that it's so SA is closer to AEST/AEDT but SA is almost perfectly in the +9 longitude band and the logic is flimsy IMO.

That's all reasonable. I know there's some very Northern country with 2 hours of daylight saving (changes 1 hour at a time), so may Finland's beef is that if they can't have more DS then they'd rather not have any? Also possible they'd rather let shops and businesses change their own hours than impose it by government; they do go Libertarian from time to time ... probably in the Summer :D

Thanks for correcting me on the Tropic of Capricorn. Not the first time I got that mixed up. And yeah, I just assumed readers would know that the North of WA is roughly as far North as Qld.

Turns out 1.9 to 2.0 million people live in the Greater Perth area, and only 2.6 million in the whole State. So they don't have as many Aboriginal Australians as I thought. I still think the rural and remote people refusing to use "city time" is sufficient reason for WA to not use it. Imagine you're a FIFO worker and you want to set your watch to the local time so you don't miss the flight back. But nobody is entirely sure what the local time IS. Shemozzle!
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:29 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Lura wrote:
Is it though? Finland, which is about as far from the equator as you can get, is a major supporter of dumping daylight saving time in the EU. Also the Tropic of Capricorn certainly runs through WA too, though admittedly WA's only population centre of Perth is reasonably far south.

Daylight savings bothers me simply for the fact it makes time zones so needlessly complex. Why the heck does Australia have more time zones than the contiguous United States in summer? Why is Queensland behind SA in summer when it is further east? I just can't understand what benefit it has for anyone or anything.

On a related note, why is ACST and ACDT on a messed up +9:30 / +10:30 offset? I hate trying to convert literally anything that isn't AEST/AEDT to ACST/ACDT because of the bloody half hour that makes no sense. I've been told that it's so SA is closer to AEST/AEDT but SA is almost perfectly in the +9 longitude band and the logic is flimsy IMO.

That's all reasonable. I know there's some very Northern country with 2 hours of daylight saving (changes 1 hour at a time), so may Finland's beef is that if they can't have more DS then they'd rather not have any? Also possible they'd rather let shops and businesses change their own hours than impose it by government; they do go Libertarian from time to time ... probably in the Summer :D

Thanks for correcting me on the Tropic of Capricorn. Not the first time I got that mixed up. And yeah, I just assumed readers would know that the North of WA is roughly as far North as Qld.

Turns out 1.9 to 2.0 million people live in the Greater Perth area, and only 2.6 million in the whole State. So they don't have as many Aboriginal Australians as I thought. I still think the rural and remote people refusing to use "city time" is sufficient reason for WA to not use it. Imagine you're a FIFO worker and you want to set your watch to the local time so you don't miss the flight back. But nobody is entirely sure what the local time IS. Shemozzle!

Ok, so I asked on Quora and the reason why Northerners in Australia oppose DST is because it would mean people who work office hours would have to wake up when it's dark, and will only have an hour or so to enjoy the daylight when returning for work, which doesn't justify them waking up in the dark
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:32 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

**Tropic of Capricorn**. The tropic of Cancer is in the Northern Hemisphere. Also, the further you are from the Equator, the more of a disparity there is between winter daylight hours and summer daylight hours. At the Equator, you get 12 hours of sunlight 365 days a year, where by the polar circle has at least one day of twenty-four daylight and one day of twenty-four darkness, upto the poles which have 6 months of daylight and 6 months of darkness. In Southern Hemisphere summer, the further south you, the longer the day is. From the September Equinox to the March Equinox, Perth has more sunlight hours per day than Broome, Cairns has fewer sunlight hours than Brisbane, which has fewer sunlight hours than Sydney, which has fewer sunlight hours than Melbourne, which has fewer sunlight hours than Hobart. I assume that the northern states' unwillingness to adopt daylight savings either has something to do with them being in the desert which is hot during the day, so the people who work office hours would prefer the sun to go down sooner, either that or the fact that it's the tropical wet season (keep in mind that they're both baseless assumptions). Also, WA declaring that daylight savings will only apply south XYZ lattitude is not shomzzle. You wanna see a shomzzle, try being one of the 600,000 people who live on the Tweed-Gold Coast border, who for half the year have to live in one timezone and work in another timezone. I've spoken to one of those persons, and according to him, it's not fun...

I hope you enjoyed writing that, because I didn't enjoy reading it much.

You're correct about days being longer despite the arc of the sun being lower in the sky, but you've missed the corollary that day length doesn't vary much in the tropics. That is the valid reason Queensland has to reject Daylight Savings.

And WA dividing into a N and S time-zone (the same in winter, different in summer) seems a bit messy to me, but OK. If they want.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:37 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:Who here thinks Bathurst 1000 is overrated?

Promoters:

At least the racers at Bathurst aren't treated as badly. I can't say the same for the advertising being shoved into telecasts of live sporting events by major networks. And the poor blokes getting wasted in the grandstands. (It's just a guess.) I get it, networks have to pay their bills, but I still don't like our drinking culture.

I'm not really into sport period. I grew up in an extremely fantacal Rugby League family so I have a moderate interest in that, but that's about it. My dad really loves sport though, and he loves the Bathurst 100 and also watches the Melbourne Cup. My dad's a bit of motorhead and he's actually driven the Mt. Panorama circuit which made him very, very happy. My sister is really into sport and watches the Melbourne Cup because of tradition, but she's generally opposed to horse/dog racing because of the way that animals are treated. I know someone who owns a racehorse, and I used to work for a completely different person who owned multiple race horses. That's about it as far as I go. I never supported Gladys' calls to ban Greyhound racing, but at the same time, I don't like animal abuse. I think that a well-regulated racing industry is better than unregulated illegal races. Also, whilst I personally don't care for racing, I'm not gonna shit all over other people's hobbies. Cruelty free racing is the best way to go.

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dazchan » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:57 am

Australian rePublic wrote:I never supported Gladys' calls to ban Greyhound racing

That was Mike Baird.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:13 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:**Tropic of Capricorn**. The tropic of Cancer is in the Northern Hemisphere. Also, the further you are from the Equator, the more of a disparity there is between winter daylight hours and summer daylight hours. At the Equator, you get 12 hours of sunlight 365 days a year, where by the polar circle has at least one day of twenty-four daylight and one day of twenty-four darkness, upto the poles which have 6 months of daylight and 6 months of darkness. In Southern Hemisphere summer, the further south you, the longer the day is. From the September Equinox to the March Equinox, Perth has more sunlight hours per day than Broome, Cairns has fewer sunlight hours than Brisbane, which has fewer sunlight hours than Sydney, which has fewer sunlight hours than Melbourne, which has fewer sunlight hours than Hobart. I assume that the northern states' unwillingness to adopt daylight savings either has something to do with them being in the desert which is hot during the day, so the people who work office hours would prefer the sun to go down sooner, either that or the fact that it's the tropical wet season (keep in mind that they're both baseless assumptions). Also, WA declaring that daylight savings will only apply south XYZ lattitude is not shomzzle. You wanna see a shomzzle, try being one of the 600,000 people who live on the Tweed-Gold Coast border, who for half the year have to live in one timezone and work in another timezone. I've spoken to one of those persons, and according to him, it's not fun...

You're correct about days being longer despite the arc of the sun being lower in the sky, but you've missed the corollary that day length doesn't vary much in the tropics. That is the valid reason Queensland has to reject Daylight Savings.

And WA dividing into a N and S time-zone (the same in winter, different in summer) seems a bit messy to me, but OK. If they want.

What are you talking about? I specifically said that day length varies more as you move away from the Equator. Therefore, everything else about the tropics is implied. There are actually plans to bring daylight savings to Queensland but to cap it at Bundaberg. Messy? Maybe, but definately less messy than the situation for people who live on the border at Gold Coast-Tweed

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

A Case of Coomera Connectors

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:54 am

I don't think the Coomera Connector (second M1) is such a good idea, especially when it sounds a hell of a lot like MessConnex.

Some better, worthwhile, more sustainable options could include but aren't limited to:

- Upgrades to regional and rural roads, particularly those that are notorious for fatigue, speeding, or the like.

- Investing into the Gold Coast Line (e.g. the proposed stations at Pimpama, Helensvale North and Merrimac, as part of the Cross River Rail project), and the proposed extension of the line past Varsity Lakes to Coolangatta.

- Upgrading a number of notorious trouble spots, such as the Centenary Hwy and Western Freeway; both of which are regularly clogged with traffic along with surrounding and connecting roads, the Brisbane level crossings infamous for hundreds of near misses and boom strikes, or the Bruce Hwy and Pacific Motorway; the former being one of the deadliest in the world.

- Extension of the G:Link tram line to Burleigh, and eventually, Coolangatta.

- The VL2T upgrade currently underway on the M1 between Varsity Lakes and Tugun.

- Fixing horror spots in regional areas, like the New England Hwy/Cunningham Hwy intersection just outside Warwick, or the dangerous stretch of the D'Aguilar between Woodford and Kilcoy.

- Renewable energy targets like SA's trying to accomplish.

Not to say the QLD Government's done nothing, but just some suggestions.

What do you think the Palasczczuk Govt. should invest in? (that isn't COVID-related or not the Adani Coal Mine)
Last edited by Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts on Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruz

or any associated firms

Lura
Secretary

Founded: Oct 25, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Lura » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:25 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

What are you talking about? I specifically said that day length varies more as you move away from the Equator. Therefore, everything else about the tropics is implied. There are actually plans to bring daylight savings to Queensland but to cap it at Bundaberg. Messy? Maybe, but definately less messy than the situation for people who live on the border at Gold Coast-Tweed

Maybe a solution to Gold Coast's time zone issue is to have that immediate area follow Sydney time, like how Broken Hill runs on Adelaide time. The problem with that though in this situation is how close the Gold Coast is to Brisbane and thus if it would be beneficial to make such a switch. Broken Hill uses Adelaide time because at the time they made that choice most of their trade was with Adelaide and not Sydney, so having the time alignment had more pros than cons.

I think the obvious optimal solution here though is to just ditch daylight savings in New South Wales at least, which removes the time disparity in that half of the year. Bringing daylight savings to Queensland is less helpful due to the tropical part, and the Queensland coast is populated enough all the way along that a Broken Hill-Sydney type split would be inconvenient.
The Tsardom of Lura
Sanctuary of Knowledge and Wisdom

Known for producing many vibrant, natural pigments from the flourishing environment

Pro: United Ireland, Koran Unification, EU, NATO, Taiwan, Kurdistan, Hong Kong Independence, Kosovo, Western Sahara, Australian Flag Change, Same-Sex Marriage, Renewable Energy
Anti: Russia, USA, China, Israel, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Serbia, UNSC P5 Veto, Daylight Savings, UTC+XX:30 and XX:45 Time Zones, Coal, Belarus
I recognise all UN members, Vatican City, Palestine, Taiwan, Kosovo and Western Sahara.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:51 pm

Lura wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:What are you talking about? I specifically said that day length varies more as you move away from the Equator. Therefore, everything else about the tropics is implied. There are actually plans to bring daylight savings to Queensland but to cap it at Bundaberg. Messy? Maybe, but definately less messy than the situation for people who live on the border at Gold Coast-Tweed

Maybe a solution to Gold Coast's time zone issue is to have that immediate area follow Sydney time, like how Broken Hill runs on Adelaide time. The problem with that though in this situation is how close the Gold Coast is to Brisbane and thus if it would be beneficial to make such a switch. Broken Hill uses Adelaide time because at the time they made that choice most of their trade was with Adelaide and not Sydney, so having the time alignment had more pros than cons.

I think the obvious optimal solution here though is to just ditch daylight savings in New South Wales at least, which removes the time disparity in that half of the year. Bringing daylight savings to Queensland is less helpful due to the tropical part, and the Queensland coast is populated enough all the way along that a Broken Hill-Sydney type split would be inconvenient.

The problem with placing the Tweed on Queensland time is that they interact too much with Byron Bay. You put Byron on Brosbane time, then they interact too much with Grafton, who interacts too much with Coffs Harbour, etc. If you remove daylight savings all together from New South Wales, then all you've achieved is moving the problem to the Murray River. Then Albury is in a different time zone to Wodonga, the Snowy Mountains would be confusing, and all the other cross-border towns. Broken Hill is extremely isolated from the rest of NSW and interacts with eastern South Australia, so it's easy to draw a timezone border there. If you want to solve the time zone problem of Gold Coast/Tweed you'd either have to find somewhere to split the timezones in Queensland, or do away with daylight savings from the eastern mainland all together. Most people would agree that the best place to split the timezones in Queensland would be Gympie/Bundaberg area, however, many people oppose that, as they believe that that would mean splitting QLD in two

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:14 pm

Lura wrote:I think the obvious optimal solution here though is to just ditch daylight savings in New South Wales at least, which removes the time disparity in that half of the year. Bringing daylight savings to Queensland is less helpful due to the tropical part, and the Queensland coast is populated enough all the way along that a Broken Hill-Sydney type split would be inconvenient.

It's not in any way optimal, if it screws over everyone except a few hippies in the North of NSW. Most of the population is around Sydney, significantly to the South, and benefits from daylight saving.

New South Wales has a population of 8 million and Qld has 5 million. Shall we vote on it? :D

Lura
Secretary

Democratic Socialists

Postby Lura » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:44 pm

Lura wrote:

The problem with placing the Tweed on Queensland time is that they interact too much with Byron Bay. You put Byron on Brosbane time, then they interact too much with Grafton, who interacts too much with Coffs Harbour, etc. If you remove daylight savings all together from New South Wales, then all you've achieved is moving the problem to the Murray River. Then Albury is in a different time zone to Wodonga, the Snowy Mountains would be confusing, and all the other cross-border towns. Broken Hill is extremely isolated from the rest of NSW and interacts with eastern South Australia, so it's easy to draw a timezone border there. If you want to solve the time zone problem of Gold Coast/Tweed you'd either have to find somewhere to split the timezones in Queensland, or do away with daylight savings from the eastern mainland all together. Most people would agree that the best place to split the timezones in Queensland would be Gympie/Bundaberg area, however, many people oppose that, as they believe that that would mean splitting QLD in two

I never said the removal of daylights savings had to be just New South Wales, though you are correct that just NSW changing creates a bigger problem near Albury and Mildura, among others I'd imagine. I don't like the idea of having two time zone rules in one state as it is, I just tried to find some kind of solution other than "get over it". Bringing daylight savings to Queensland remains an option, though poor as discussed, but to amend my "dump daylight savings in NSW" suggestion, daylight savings could be dumped in the entire set of states and territories using Sydney time (NSW, Vic, ACT and Tas). Now there are no issues at time zone borders that weren't always going to exist (i.e. SA-Vic border). Such a suggestion would require all those states to agree to change though, which just won't happen.

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Lura wrote:I think the obvious optimal solution here though is to just ditch daylight savings in New South Wales at least, which removes the time disparity in that half of the year. Bringing daylight savings to Queensland is less helpful due to the tropical part, and the Queensland coast is populated enough all the way along that a Broken Hill-Sydney type split would be inconvenient.

It's not in any way optimal, if it screws over everyone except a few hippies in the North of NSW. Most of the population is around Sydney, significantly to the South, and benefits from daylight saving.

New South Wales has a population of 8 million and Qld has 5 million. Shall we vote on it? :D

I'm still not sold that daylight savings really benefits anyone. It's not like we're really adding extra daylight hours to the day, so what does it really matter? You can do the same things, more or less, at 8pm whether it's light or dark. Even if it did have benefits, you're not exactly "screwing over" Syndey by just not moving the clocks. No benefit daylight savings could have is going to make people's lives so much worse without it.
The Tsardom of Lura

Known for producing many vibrant, natural pigments from the flourishing environment

Pro: United Ireland, Koran Unification, EU, NATO, Taiwan, Kurdistan, Hong Kong Independence, Kosovo, Western Sahara, Australian Flag Change, Same-Sex Marriage, Renewable Energy
Anti: Russia, USA, China, Israel, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Serbia, UNSC P5 Veto, Daylight Savings, UTC+XX:30 and XX:45 Time Zones, Coal, Belarus
I recognise all UN members, Vatican City, Palestine, Taiwan, Kosovo and Western Sahara.

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dazchan » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:03 pm

This weekend, Sydney has had the hottest November night on record, the first time two consecutive November days have had temperatures above 40 degrees and a bushfire.

At least with the borders closed, Morrison can’t fuck off to Hawaii this time.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:59 am

Lura wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:The problem with placing the Tweed on Queensland time is that they interact too much with Byron Bay. You put Byron on Brosbane time, then they interact too much with Grafton, who interacts too much with Coffs Harbour, etc. If you remove daylight savings all together from New South Wales, then all you've achieved is moving the problem to the Murray River. Then Albury is in a different time zone to Wodonga, the Snowy Mountains would be confusing, and all the other cross-border towns. Broken Hill is extremely isolated from the rest of NSW and interacts with eastern South Australia, so it's easy to draw a timezone border there. If you want to solve the time zone problem of Gold Coast/Tweed you'd either have to find somewhere to split the timezones in Queensland, or do away with daylight savings from the eastern mainland all together. Most people would agree that the best place to split the timezones in Queensland would be Gympie/Bundaberg area, however, many people oppose that, as they believe that that would mean splitting QLD in two

I never said the removal of daylights savings had to be just New South Wales, though you are correct that just NSW changing creates a bigger problem near Albury and Mildura, among others I'd imagine. I don't like the idea of having two time zone rules in one state as it is, I just tried to find some kind of solution other than "get over it". Bringing daylight savings to Queensland remains an option, though poor as discussed, but to amend my "dump daylight savings in NSW" suggestion, daylight savings could be dumped in the entire set of states and territories using Sydney time (NSW, Vic, ACT and Tas). Now there are no issues at time zone borders that weren't always going to exist (i.e. SA-Vic border). Such a suggestion would require all those states to agree to change though, which just won't happen.

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

I'm still not sold that daylight savings really benefits anyone. It's not like we're really adding extra daylight hours to the day, so what does it really matter? You can do the same things, more or less, at 8pm whether it's light or dark. Even if it did have benefits, you're not exactly "screwing over" Syndey by just not moving the clocks. No benefit daylight savings could have is going to make people's lives so much worse without it.

Daylight saving moves regularly scheduled events (like starting work, school, or shops opening) to "earlier by the sun" in summer, making use of those cooler hours of the day to travel. Also making the period of sunshine after work etc one hour longer, so it's more use for recreation.

New South Wales (1976) 68.42% Yes 31.58% No
Queensland (1992) 45.50% Yes 54.50% No

If you don't like daylight saving, then you really DON'T want NSW and Qld to both use the same system. Because there should be a referendum for that, and with NSW's greater population we'd win (59.6%) ... and Qld would get DS even if most of them voted against it.

I think we should just let this be one of the things we disagree on!

Lura
Secretary

Democratic Socialists

Postby Lura » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:38 pm

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Lura wrote:

Daylight saving moves regularly scheduled events (like starting work, school, or shops opening) to "earlier by the sun" in summer, making use of those cooler hours of the day to travel. Also making the period of sunshine after work etc one hour longer, so it's more use for recreation.

New South Wales (1976) 68.42% Yes 31.58% No
Queensland (1992) 45.50% Yes 54.50% No

If you don't like daylight saving, then you really DON'T want NSW and Qld to both use the same system. Because there should be a referendum for that, and with NSW's greater population we'd win (59.6%) ... and Qld would get DS even if most of them voted against it.

I think we should just let this be one of the things we disagree on!

Sounds good to me. Daylight savings is one of those things that people either love or hate, and I don't really think anyone can be convinced to go the other way.
The Tsardom of Lura

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:55 pm

Why does the jervis bay territory exist? It's a little unusual for a bay to have its own territory. For Lord Howe Island, I get it. For Jervis Bay I don't.

Also, why do so many towns have rivers with the same name? Mogo Creek, Cataract River, Nerang River, Tallebudgera Creek, Caboolture River, Kilcoy Creek, Durras Creek, Brisbane River, Parramatta River, Cooyar Creek, Tweed River, Bundamba Creek, Moruya River, Cobungra River, Mitta Mitta River, Narrabri Creek, Logan River, Oxley Creek, Coomera River, Noosa River?

I get it, the watercourse has the name; you give its name to a town.
Last edited by Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts on Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruz

or any associated firms

Imperial isa
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 08, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Imperial isa » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:30 am

Jervis bay territory exist for the dumb idea of letting the ACT have access to the sea.
Romeo Foxtrot, Shall we Dance...
We’re on an express elevator to hell – going down!

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:22 am

Imperial isa wrote:Jervis bay territory exist for the dumb idea of letting the ACT have access to the sea.

Well, Now-ra we know that,
we should all know by now that it's a stupid idea.
bruz

or any associated firms

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:32 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:
Imperial isa wrote:Was Gladys behind those ferries where you can not have passengers on top when going under bridges ?

:blink: yes

And we're all really 'Glad" about it.

(not)
bruz

or any associated firms

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:55 am

im scared

If this Cashless Welfare Card is rolled out to all Centrelink payments....it'll just be the Robodebt all over again. And no, I didn't take FriendlyJ's word for it, he very rarely even mentions robodebt or the #ClassWarfareCard.
bruz

or any associated firms

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts
Diplomat

Indue

Postby Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:42 am

The Cashless Debit card has passed the HoR 62 to 61. The Aboriginals and Territorians on the Cashless Debit Card are about to be the centre of a Zerocash Circus orchestrated to paint every Centrelink recipient as a dole bludger. The Industrial Relations bill proposed to Parliament doesn't look good either.

Considering MANY welfare recipients in the NT - 81% specifically - are First Nations people, this sort of seems borderline discriminatory. And it disgusts me that the Centre Alliance Party supports this.

The Cashless Welfare, or as the JuiceMedia might call it, "Class Warfare" card, is little more than another scheme to leech money from welfare recipients to Indue, run by an ex-Nats director, Garry Anthony. Although this just might be me speculating, it's likely more and more people on programs like JobKeeper or JobSeeker will be moved onto the CWC.

As if the robodebt scheme wasn't enough....

The LNP obviously aren't the way to go, Labor's....alright, the Greens are...still not sure, One Nation and the UAP, out of the question, and Katter's Party seems alright. But the way to go is that we need more independent politicians that look out for us rather than the major parties' connections to oil, gas and big business.

There are some people who leech money of Centrelink, but it's like cutting down an apple tree; you'll get rid of the bad apples, but you'll drag the legit welfare recipients in need of help down an even deeper hole.

Therefore with all due respect, I do not in any way support the
#CashlessWelfareCard.
(jordies hasnt talked about this, so I'm not parroting his word on it)

It's frankly disgusting.
That's why we need #Independents who will look out for us Australians - ALL australians
Last edited by Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts on Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
bruz

or any associated firms

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:44 am

Amorosa-Coonarra Coasts wrote:im scared

If this Cashless Welfare Card is rolled out to all Centrelink payments....it'll just be the Robodebt all over again. And no, I didn't take FriendlyJ's word for it, he very rarely even mentions robodebt or the #ClassWarfareCard.

Personally, I don't like anything that's cashless. Cash is king. Cashlessness=bad

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:12 am

Imperial isa wrote:Jervis bay territory exist for the dumb idea of letting the ACT have access to the sea.

JBR is still sort-of-kind-of part of the ACT, as reflected in their number plates. In practice, however, I think that they're subject to ACT law, there's not much there other than a military base, a tiny villiage, and an Aboriginal community who have a level of autonomy, on account of being their own territory. There's only a few hundred people there. It's the only state/territory that I've been to whose flag I haven't collected for my flag collection, and that's solely due to the fact that it doesn't have its own flag. The part that pisses me off is the fact that you have to pay to enter the national park, and the border is located at the checkpoint, meaning that you have to pay to enter JBT, which is in direct violation of the constitution, which guarantees the right freely and uninterruptably cross state borders (this year we learnt that Covid is the exception). JBT was supposed to have a sea port which was supposed to serve as the ACT's seaport. Come to think of it, I'm starting that JBT exists so that the ACT can have jurisdiction over a sea port (which seems a bit pointless, considering that any rail line linking Canberra to the sea port would have to pass through NSW, but anyway...). It was apparently also supposed to be large, that is, at least large enough to encompass Sussex Inlet, which was meant to be its capital. What's really weird is that anyone who wanted to register their car or get their licence in JBT had to go all the way to Canberra to do so, however, now they can do so in Nowra, despite the fact that Nowra is completely and undisputably part of NSW. But whatever, just keep in mind that NSW's laws don't apply to Jervis Bay Territory, and that the ACT's laws might. Oh, and JBT only makes up a tiny, tiny portion of the entirity of Jervis Bay, so don't think that you can travel to Hyams Beach (the suburb, that is, not the beach) or whatever and get away with breaking NSW law by doing something which is cometely legal in the ACT. Also the only public transport of regular service which runs through JBT is the Bay and Basin bus from Bomaderry station. There is only one stop in JBT and all the other stops are in NSW, meaning that there is no regularly scheduled public transport linking the contiguous part of the ACT to JBT. Jervis Bay Territoey exists as a bit of a weird anomaly

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General