NATION

PASSWORD

Make DC a state?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Waht should the District of Columbia's political status be?

Make DC a state with a Representative and two senators
51%
Cede DC back to Maryland
19%
Continue DC's current status, but with independent home rule
6%
Continue DC's current status
12%
Deprive DC of the 3 electoral votes it currently holds
12%

Total votes : 124

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:18 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Heloin wrote:The Smaller federal distract wouldn't have electors. Just because you keep saying this doesn't make it true.

What happened to the 23rd amendment?

The way the amendment reads making DC a state would remove the need for the 23rd.

Also DC gets 3 EC votes not 2
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:20 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:The government shouldn’t be involved in sending people to death. This is what I don’t get with you “pro-lifers” you all claim your against the murder of innocents yet you support the death penalty and refuse to support any measures to make abortion rare.

It’s like your not “pro-life” at all but pro-birth.

I am pro-life and against the death penalty and pro abstinence+contraceptive sex ed. Overgeneralising and threadjacking is not a great idea.

There’s a reason why I put pro-lifers in quotation marks. Because I don’t believe those who claim to be pro-life yet support the death penalty, or sex Ed, or anything that would reduce the need for abortion to be actually pro-life.

My post wasn’t directed at you
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:23 pm

Marxist Germany wrote:
Heloin wrote:The Smaller federal distract wouldn't have electors. Just because you keep saying this doesn't make it true.

What happened to the 23rd amendment?

It'd become irrelevant and could and should be discarded. Amendments aren't permanent, it's in the name.

Services are already provided by the local authorities. Nothing would change in that regard aside from fear mongering.

The local authorities being the proposed State legislature/city council, which would be run by DC the state.

Services in DC are already provided by the local government of DC. Turning DC into a state and separating it from the Federal capital won't change this.

This is a lie in both ways. Finland never voted to ban water and the situation that lead to this lie still had a minority of politicians who were asked the question "would they look into restricting it" say yes.

I gave an outlandish example for satirical effect. My point is that DC never held a binding referendum, therefore, their "vote" is easily discarded.

You gave a stupid example to try and disprove a binding referendum that has already been approved by half of Congress that you disagree with.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:36 pm

DC is an imperial capital whose transient population is primarily composed bureaucrats and people whose livelihoods depend on the expansion of government bureaucracy. It's not a rooted community, but is instead composed of social-climbing strangers from all over who are intensely loyal to their own social class and no one else.

It is a decadent playground for the rich and overeducated, and I would feel happy if it was consumed by the festering swamp from which it crawled from.
Last edited by Bear Stearns on Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:40 pm

State of Columbia? Why not? I'd rather see Puerto Rico get statehood but D.C. is fine too.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:43 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:State of Columbia? Why not? I'd rather see Puerto Rico get statehood but D.C. is fine too.

Why not both
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:44 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:State of Columbia? Why not? I'd rather see Puerto Rico get statehood but D.C. is fine too.

Why not both

Puerto Rico is more of a pressing issue IMO. D.C. gets all the aid if a hurricane hits even without statehood. Puerto Rico is lucky to get a pittance as a territory. Nobody deserves that.
Last edited by Trollzyn the Infinite on Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:47 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Why not both

Puerto Rico is more of a pressing issue IMO. D.C. gets all the aid if a hurricane hits even without statehood. Puerto Rico is lucky to get a pittance as a territory. Nobody deserves that.

DC is all behind statehood while Puerto Rico is on the fence about the issue. Don't get me wrong, Puerto Rico has pressing issues, but the territory's intentions on statehood while recently leaning towards yes have always been a bit too close to call. They'll be voting again this year so fingers crossed.

Kiu Ghesik
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiu Ghesik » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:47 pm

It's not even a difficult calculus. PR has 3 million people in it, DC has 700,000.
Brief
Caller
Clans
Strife
Words
Faith

 ✵  THE GREAT KIU - EJADRIR DEGHEU GIYEF KHUDEYVH. ✵ 

Questions | Soon | Nomadwave
✵ A newly-birthed confederation of insular nomadic clansmen struggling to remain a local great power in the face of their expanding foes. May or may not be united by worship of an eldritch mother-goddess. Now with extra align=center!

✵ ooc: i dont exist
She's loyal, smol, ready to rol. Big big bowl, full of rol. Smol rol, big bowl. Cinny rol, big bowl, smol rol.

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:48 pm

Heloin wrote:

DC is all behind statehood while Puerto Rico is on the fence about the issue. Don't get me wrong, Puerto Rico has pressing issues, but the territory's intentions on statehood while recently leaning towards yes have always been a bit too close to call. They'll be voting again this year so fingers crossed.

According to the latest polls the majority of Puerto Ricans are pro-statehood. About or above 60% IIRC. Good enough for me, and good enough for Congress.

The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:49 pm

No I definitely agree. PR should be a state and those territories that aren’t going to be states should have the ability to elect an actual representative to congress instead of a delegate.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:57 pm

Heloin wrote:DC is all behind statehood while Puerto Rico is on the fence about the issue. Don't get me wrong, Puerto Rico has pressing issues, but the territory's intentions on statehood while recently leaning towards yes have always been a bit too close to call. They'll be voting again this year so fingers crossed.

According to the latest polls the majority of Puerto Ricans are pro-statehood. About or above 60% IIRC. Good enough for me, and good enough for Congress.

Other states need to consent to it, so it's unlikely their Congressmen will willfully dilute their own power.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:58 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:

Other states need to consent to it, so it's unlikely their Congressmen will willfully dilute their own power.

Why, exactly, do other states need to consent to it? It doesn't affect them.

The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:59 pm

Heloin wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:What happened to the 23rd amendment?

It'd become irrelevant and could and should be discarded. Amendments aren't permanent, it's in the name.

Which requires 3/4 of states to remove, until then, Donald gets 3 Electors.
The local authorities being the proposed State legislature/city council, which would be run by DC the state.

Services in DC are already provided by the local government of DC. Turning DC into a state and separating it from the Federal capital won't change this.

The federal enclave would be too small to provide for itself, hence the reliance on the state.
I gave an outlandish example for satirical effect. My point is that DC never held a binding referendum, therefore, their "vote" is easily discarded.

You gave a stupid example to try and disprove a binding referendum that has already been approved by half of Congress that you disagree with.

HR 51 is not a referendum.
Thermodolia wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:What happened to the 23rd amendment?

The way the amendment reads making DC a state would remove the need for the 23rd.

Also DC gets 3 EC votes not 2

Where did I say 2?
Last edited by Marxist Germany on Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:01 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
Allenstadt wrote:I really doubt that anyone will make DC a state soon, but it will probably soon get home government (or should)
I doubt the republicans would be as angry if they were trying to make Wyomning a state.

It already has home rule subject to congressional override.

Wyoming was made a state in 1890 after its population had tripled in a 10 year period and when farming made up some 80% of the US population. DC's population has declined form its peak in the 1950s and has only slightly began to rebound since the late 2000's a trend most likely reversed due to the pandemic and civil unrest.

In summation Wyoming was made a state when farming and ranching was the focus of the US economy and envisioned to continue as such, currently the focus of the US economy is the suburbs which DC lacks (because they are in neighboring states states) so population projections will most likely have DC stagnating or shirking again.

DC was better when it was the backwater ghetto slum it was back in the day, as opposed to the ruling class playground of lobbyists and psychotic yuppies interning for the FBI.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:03 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:

Because Congress, which represents those states, has to approve it. Different areas of land can't simply become US states because they want it, the nation receiving them has to consent to it as well. And the addition of more states does affect them, including relative representation, distribution of resources, political party strength, etc.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:05 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:

Because Congress, which represents those states, has to approve it. Different areas of land can't simply become US states because they want it, the nation receiving them has to consent to it as well. And the addition of more states does affect them, including relative representation, distribution of resources, political party strength, etc.

In other words, it doesn't matter unless you're a fucking partisan hack. Too bad I don't give a shit what they think.

The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:09 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:

In other words, it doesn't matter unless you're a fucking partisan hack. Too bad I don't give a shit what they think.

Huh? That's an odd conclusion to arrive at. We're not obligated to accept anyone as a state simply because they want it.

And the issues I mentioned transcend political parties, and are things that all states, especially smaller ones, are concerned about.
Last edited by Bear Stearns on Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:14 pm

Well, unfortunately our country runs on the premise that being ruled by partisan hacks is the best way to run a government.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:17 pm

Yes, but only if you allow California to break up.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:19 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:

Huh? That's an odd conclusion to arrive at. We're not obligated to accept anyone as a state simply because they want it.

And the issues I mentioned transcend political parties, and are things that all states, especially smaller ones, are concerned about.

It's the only conclusion. There aren't any good reasons to keep statehood away from DC so people have to spin tales and lies to justify disenfranchisement. If it can be a part of Maryland then the lie of neutral territory is made clear thus they can be their own state. If the reason is neutral territory then why can't that area of the distract be separated to be that neutral territory. Every single case presented to deny statehood to DC is just admitting that you don't like how they vote.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:34 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:Yes, but only if you allow California to break up.

Does California *want* to break up?
I'm aware of some people advocating for it, but they're about as numerous and relevant as, say, Northumbrians, afaik.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:17 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:Yes, but only if you allow California to break up.

Does California *want* to break up?
I'm aware of some people advocating for it, but they're about as numerous and relevant as, say, Northumbrians, afaik.

That's unfair. The State of Jefferson folks have at least some note worthy movement to their cause.

Conservative Republic Of Huang
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:47 pm

Might as well abolish all the states and use counties as the second-level political division.
Pro: Direct democracy, e-democracy, parliamentary sovereignty, state secularism, non-violent direct action (striking), police reform, syndicalism, democratic workplace management
Anti: Most types of representative democracy, ultra-nationalism, imperialism, autocratic workplace management, the state

"In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say syndicalism now, syndicalism tomorrow, syndicalism forever."
not conservative or a republic
Transparency

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:51 pm

Heloin wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Does California *want* to break up?

That's unfair. The State of Jefferson folks have at least some note worthy movement to their cause.

I would support Jefferson being the 51st state. Could have been the 49th state if the Japanese didn't attack.
https://ancestralfindings.com/the-ghost ... now-about/
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General