NATION

PASSWORD

The coolest countries in Europe, according to you

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tea Chuggers
Attaché

Founded: Aug 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Tea Chuggers » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:04 pm

Alternamerica wrote:
Tea Chuggers wrote:
Both of you wrote:
Some stuff. Don't worry, I've read both, it's just too long to quote both.

Makes sense. I didn't have any specific foreign upbringing so I don't really have the experience of having a foreign culture to look up to. Dad's family has been in Tennessee probably since it was still NC and Mom's from SoCal, which has a different Mexican culture distinct from Actual Mexico. The closest I got was tacos from my maternal grandma, but that's normal for the west coast.

No worries! And like you, I don't have a specific foreign upbringing since my dad's side came from Lebanon around the late 1800s, mom's side were Mexicans before the US annexed that portion of Mexico. Tejano, Californio, Nuevomexicano cultures are the closest thing to an actual heritage, but since it's distinctively an American culture, I'm as American as apple pie :p Only thing Lebanese about me is a Christian father and an Arabic surname. With 100+ years of being Americans, Lebanon is an alien world to my paternal grandparents so I see no point in having a Mexican or Lebanese flag hanging around

But at least we can take pride in awesome cuisines. New Mexican, TexMex, CaliMex, etc

Aye aye. I was in Tennessee for a month on summer vacation and when I got back, I was looking forward to a good burrito.
Leaf water good. Bean water bad. David Ricardo was on to something and so was Eugene Stoner.
Only the trends are canon, not individual stats. If you want to get angry very quickly, I recommend Twitter.
Current status: fine.

Hrstrovokia
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Corporate Police State

Postby Hrstrovokia » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:49 pm

Confused by people's addition of Ireland.

It's the eastern Europe of western Europe.

And I say that as someone who lives here.

Still it's a great country if you want to drink yourself to death, it's a national pastime.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:01 pm

England, because it was an ancestral home of Calvinist merchants
Scotland, because it was an ancestral home of Calvinist merchants
The Netherlands, because it was an ancestral home of Calvinist merchants
Switzerland, because it was an an ancestral home of Calvinist merchants
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:03 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Bienenhalde wrote:I particularly like Germany, but I am sort of biased since I have ancestry from there. But anyway, Germany has been home to many wonderful people, like St. Hildegard von Bingen, Martin Luther, Johann Sebastian Bach, Otto von Bismarck, and Angela Merkel. Also many beautiful historic cities, castles, and churches.

Martin Luther wonderful?

Since when is antisemitism wonderful? :meh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Lu ... tisemitism

It's odd that the first things people think of when they hear the name "Martin Luther" are "proto-Nazi antisemite" and Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard.

Not the guy who literally turned Christianity on its head.
Last edited by Bear Stearns on Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Alternamerica
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Alternamerica » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:14 pm

Hrstrovokia wrote:Confused by people's addition of Ireland.

Still it's a great country if you want to drink yourself to death, it's a national pastime.

Genuinely curious, how is it the Eastern Europe of Western Europe? They squat, wear adidas, listen to Eurobeats, and whatnot?
What if America, but hyper progressive? Universal healthcare, Walkable cities, outdoor culture, and $1 Trillion military budget because we're the best. CIA love Teddy Roosevelt and the environment enough to torture Oil executives. Our conservatives shoot Klansmen, our liberals punch Nazis
30% IRL views, 70% joke
Anthem | Basically USA | Factbook | Trump Tweets | GOP when there's liter | George W Bush trans ally!

NEWS: European Union member states and Norway have voted "No" for America & Canada's petition to turn NATO into a free trade alliance on top of its military obligations and also extend invitation to Cuba and Mexico, members of NAFTA which also has a military pact per Trump's reform. Only Britain and Turkey voted "Yes".

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:56 pm

Alternamerica wrote:

Genuinely curious, how is it the Eastern Europe of Western Europe? They squat, wear adidas, listen to Eurobeats, and whatnot?

What’s Eurobeats, first thing that shows up is anime. I’m guessing American suburban teen music
Free Navalny, Back Gobzems

Tea Chuggers
Attaché

Founded: Aug 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Tea Chuggers » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:58 pm

Latvijas Otra Republika wrote:
Alternamerica wrote:

What’s Eurobeats, first thing that shows up is anime. I’m guessing American suburban teen music

Running in the 90s is a famous example.
Leaf water good. Bean water bad. David Ricardo was on to something and so was Eugene Stoner.
Only the trends are canon, not individual stats. If you want to get angry very quickly, I recommend Twitter.
Current status: fine.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:00 pm

Latvijas Otra Republika wrote:
Alternamerica wrote:

90's dance music that was only popular in Europe and in the racing anime Initial D.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Vaspelia
Attaché

Founded: Mar 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaspelia » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:01 pm

Alternamerica wrote:Genuinely curious, how is it the Eastern Europe of Western Europe? They squat, wear adidas, listen to Eurobeats, and whatnot?

Wait. Slavs don't listen eurobeat. They are more into Industrial or Hard-(insert suffix). Eurobeat is too cheerful for them.
Last edited by Vaspelia on Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Unión de Vaspelia
hispanic savannan directorate with sino-japanese-inspired cultural and philosophical elements. That's the plan.
this nation is wip and raw as fuck, pls don't look at it yet
but i appreciate TGs, no matter asking about my ideas for vaspelia or just to hang out
no ns stats here brah
The F7-Supremacist Zoomer that the Globalists and Reds warned you about
You may win all debates, but you shall never win happiness
add 1685 posts
you can call me eru baby
in NS since 01/10/2016
listen to this song

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:11 pm

What about countries in Europe that could have been?

Commonwealth of England
First French Empire
Dutch Republic
German Empire
Republic of Florence
Republic of Genoa
Jacobite Scotland
Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
Independent State of Croatia
Second Spanish Republic
Federal State of Austria
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:15 pm

Alternamerica wrote:
Tea Chuggers wrote:
Both of you wrote:

Makes sense. I didn't have any specific foreign upbringing so I don't really have the experience of having a foreign culture to look up to. Dad's family has been in Tennessee probably since it was still NC and Mom's from SoCal, which has a different Mexican culture distinct from Actual Mexico. The closest I got was tacos from my maternal grandma, but that's normal for the west coast.

No worries! And like you, I don't have a specific foreign upbringing since my dad's side came from Lebanon around the late 1800s, mom's side were Mexicans before the US annexed that portion of Mexico. Tejano, Californio, Nuevomexicano cultures are the closest thing to an actual heritage, but since it's distinctively an American culture, I'm as American as apple pie :p Only thing Lebanese about me is a Christian father and an Arabic surname. With 100+ years of being Americans, Lebanon is an alien world to my paternal grandparents so I see no point in having a Mexican or Lebanese flag hanging around

But at least we can take pride in awesome cuisines. New Mexican, TexMex, CaliMex, etc

The only thing I can say about this is Viva México!! :lol: Time for a song. Two Californian sisters (parents are from Oaxaca) singing the following - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j954C8XBIgw
Last edited by Rio Cana on Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Hrstrovokia
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Corporate Police State

Postby Hrstrovokia » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:21 pm

Alternamerica wrote:

After Dublin, Ireland has a massive gap in wealth distribution. Places like the midlands are broke as fuck. They aren't destitute but a lot of towns rely on government welfare. It's mostly coastal cities/towns that do well. Cork, Galway.

There's quite a big underclass in Ireland, as in the UK, of people living in council estates, not going into education, happy enough to exist on government welfare. Not even council estates anymore because they have affordable housing in private estates so its more spread out. And I don't want people to mix up underclass with working class. The working class work and want their children to do better. The underclass do not work and do not want a better situation, just a free house, free money.

Nevertopia
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Nevertopia » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:35 pm

Right now Id say the coolest European country would be Switzerland.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/switzerland/glarus
So the CCP won't let me be or let me be me so let me see, they tried to shut me down on CBC but it feels so empty without me.
Communism has failed every time its been tried.
Civilization Index: Class 9.28
Tier 7: Stellar Settler | Level 7: Wonderful Wizard | Type 7: Astro Ambassador
This nation's overview is the primary canon. For more information use NS stats.
Black Lives Matter

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:39 pm

At least you're not in Northern Ireland.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:42 pm

Alternamerica wrote:
Tea Chuggers wrote:
Both of you wrote:

My mom and dad's families immigrated here from Puerto Rico and before that, dad's family came to Puerto Rico from Lebanon in the 1800s. The closest relationship I have to foreign culture is the fact I grew up in a heavily hispanic neighborhood and an area that also has a shit ton of Lebanese people and Arabs in general, but I'm more American than every John Mellencamp song ever.

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Onocarcass
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Onocarcass » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:47 pm

I figure I'll just do my ten favorites.

1 ) Finland
2 ) Estonia
3 ) Norway
4 ) Romania
5 ) Iceland
6 ) Bulgaria
7 ) Croatia
8 ) The United Kingdom
9 ) Denmark
10 ) Switzerland
Last edited by Onocarcass on Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onocarcan Factbook

NationStates Flag Bracket II - 5th Place!
Everybody needs to calm down a bit

Alternamerica
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 11, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Alternamerica » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:49 pm

Latvijas Otra Republika wrote:What’s Eurobeats, first thing that shows up is anime. I’m guessing American suburban teen music

This. The anime Initial D got the world associating the genre with it.

Rio Cana wrote:-snip-

Now to know what they're saying. To google!

Hrstrovokia wrote:-snip-

Yikes. I never knew Ireland would have issues like that. While I'm aware poverty is in every country, but not to that extent. I know the UK has similar issues (which isn't surprising given Thatcherism) but I always saw Ireland as having more in common with Finland or Netherlands in terms of income disparity and the like :unsure: Here comes the Paris Syndrome but at least I'm not a racist Irish-American who give the Irish-Irish secondhand embarrassment
What if America, but hyper progressive? Universal healthcare, Walkable cities, outdoor culture, and $1 Trillion military budget because we're the best. CIA love Teddy Roosevelt and the environment enough to torture Oil executives. Our conservatives shoot Klansmen, our liberals punch Nazis
30% IRL views, 70% joke
Anthem | Basically USA | Factbook | Trump Tweets | GOP when there's liter | George W Bush trans ally!

NEWS: European Union member states and Norway have voted "No" for America & Canada's petition to turn NATO into a free trade alliance on top of its military obligations and also extend invitation to Cuba and Mexico, members of NAFTA which also has a military pact per Trump's reform. Only Britain and Turkey voted "Yes".

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:52 pm

Hrstrovokia wrote:
Alternamerica wrote:

After Dublin, Ireland has a massive gap in wealth distribution. Places like the midlands are broke as fuck. They aren't destitute but a lot of towns rely on government welfare. It's mostly coastal cities/towns that do well. Cork, Galway.

There's quite a big underclass in Ireland, as in the UK, of people living in council estates, not going into education, happy enough to exist on government welfare. Not even council estates anymore because they have affordable housing in private estates so its more spread out. And I don't want people to mix up underclass with working class. The working class work and want their children to do better. The underclass do not work and do not want a better situation, just a free house, free money.

Versatile music videos gave me a good picture
Free Navalny, Back Gobzems

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:03 pm

Alternamerica wrote:
Rio Cana wrote:-snip-

Now to know what they're saying. To google!

Its your lucky day. Duolingo is a free on-line language course where you can learn Spanish.

And in no time you will learn what the sisters from California are saying. Those two youtube singers are very popular in Latin America. They even have a fan from Australia. In reality, you will open a door to tons of things in youtube that are in Spanish.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Auze
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:59 pm

Well I just googled it, and apparently it's Norway. Makes since, it has a pretty high average latitude.
Hello, I'm an Latter-day Saint kid from South Carolina!
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced ['ɑ.ziː].
My political views are best described as "incoherent"

Anyway, how about a game?
[spoiler=Views I guess]RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.
In general I am a Centrist

I disown most of my previous posts (with a few exceptions)

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:04 pm

Vaspelia wrote:
Alternamerica wrote:Genuinely curious, how is it the Eastern Europe of Western Europe? They squat, wear adidas, listen to Eurobeats, and whatnot?

Wait. Slavs don't listen eurobeat. They are more into Industrial or Hard-(insert suffix). Eurobeat is too cheerful for them.

The only music slavs listen to is the songs of their Gods.

https://youtu.be/UA_j_72psoo

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:43 pm

I've never visited a country other than the US (I've technically left it since I've been over international waters, but I was in a plane and that was international waters so that doesn't count), so I can't say for certain outside of what I've seen from here.

The UK seems interesting, plus they speak some form of English, so they go on my list.

The word 'Sweden' makes me think of cold, crisp cleanliness, and they're also kind of interesting, so them too.

Germany's kinda cool, interesting history, heart of Europe, etc.

The Netherlands tend to do stuff which either unnerves me, disappoints me, or makes me want us to imitate them, so the lack of nuance when it comes to my view of them adds that country to my list.

Similar views on Italy as I do with Germany, except with the 'heart of Europe' bit being more 'heart of Mediterranean'.

I don't know what to think of France.

^ Ditto for Spain.

Poland is interesting, since they are a smallish country on the North European Plain between larger powers and are somehow still a thing.

The Balkan countries in general are just messy from my POV, although they are certainly an interesting melting pot/salad bowl/stew pot/whatever they are. Oh, I can never get over the fact that Montenegro has the population of a Californian county whilst being the size of Northern Ireland.

Switzerland is a weird mishmash, partially mountain country which is also interesting.

I don't really have a favorite, they're all kind of interesting in their own way. The only ones I've seriously considered visiting are the UK and Germany (although I'd want to have at least a basic grasp of their language before I visited).
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:33 pm

Aureumterra wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:1. Iceland. Most electricity generated by renewables (geothermal). Island. Volcanic. Has a glacier. Told the bankers to fuck off in 2007.

Not really, it’s way more complicated than that and the effects of the recession are still felt today due to a number of reasons

Unless you're going to offer a more nuanced analysis, "told the bankers to fuck off" stands.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

New Carthagea
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby New Carthagea » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:35 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:I've never visited a country other than the US (I've technically left it since I've been over international waters, but I was in a plane and that was international waters so that doesn't count), so I can't say for certain outside of what I've seen from here.

The UK seems interesting, plus they speak some form of English, so they go on my list.

The word 'Sweden' makes me think of cold, crisp cleanliness, and they're also kind of interesting, so them too.

The Netherlands tend to do stuff which either unnerves me, disappoints me, or makes me want us to imitate them, so the lack of nuance when it comes to my view of them adds that country to my list.

Similar views on Italy as I do with Germany, except with the 'heart of Europe' bit being more 'heart of Mediterranean'.

^ Ditto for Spain.

Poland is interesting, since they are a smallish country on the North European Plain between larger powers and are somehow still a thing.

The Balkan countries in general are just messy from my POV, although they are certainly an interesting melting pot/salad bowl/stew pot/whatever they are. Oh, I can never get over the fact that Montenegro has the population of a Californian county whilst being the size of Northern Ireland.

Switzerland is a weird mishmash, partially mountain country which is also interesting.

I don't really have a favorite, they're all kind of interesting in their own way. The only ones I've seriously considered visiting are the UK and Germany (although I'd want to have at least a basic grasp of their language before I visited).

This. Almost exactly similar to my views.
The Phoenician Kingdom of New Carthagea
Brief Overview | ♛ Government | ♖ People
The Father Has Come:  The Pope has started his 5 day visit to New Carthagea today in Phoenicia. He will meet HM The King later this day, and will address the joint session of the Parliament.
America Leaves Egypt! In a surprising turn of events, US President Biden has announced that he will be ordering the retreat of all American troops from American-occupied Egypt, says will work towards restoration of democracy.

Sanghyeok
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanghyeok » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:16 pm

New Carthagea wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:I've never visited a country other than the US (I've technically left it since I've been over international waters, but I was in a plane and that was international waters so that doesn't count), so I can't say for certain outside of what I've seen from here.

^ Ditto for Spain.

This. Almost exactly similar to my views.

Interesting
どんな時も、赤旗の眩しさを覚えていた
Magical socialist paradise headed by an immortal, tea-loving and sometimes childish Chairwoman who happens to be the younger Ōmiya sister

Mini custard puddings
And fresh poured Darjeeling
Strawberry parfait so sweet and appealing,
Little soft plushies and baths in hot springs
These are a few of my favourite things

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General