NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread XIII: The Brexit Ship Departs

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who would you / will you vote for in the Scottish Parliament election?

SNP
26%
Conservative Party
16%
Labour Party
20%
Liberal Democrats
12%
Scottish Greens
9%
Mispronounced Alba Party
2%
Reform UK
8%
Other
8%

Total votes : 92

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:09 pm

Ainland wrote:
Vassenor wrote:How has lower taxes actually helped lower earners?

Targeting tax cuts on the lowest paid, increases their disposable income. I assumed this was obvious.

And yet the evidence is showing that government policy is in fact leaving them worse off.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:12 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:None of these things are going to happen but I have a 7 point plan to boom the economy.

1) Cut fuel duty in half and also stop the practice of charging VAT on the price including the duty.

2) Abolish alcohol duty on draught beer and cider.

3) Cut employee NI contributions by 5%

4) Remove the financial transaction type taxes/levies that have been put on the financial sector since 2008.

5) Abolish Insurance premium tax.

6) Introduce a lower tier of corperation tax of 5% up to a threshold of £100,000

7) Reduce Inheritance tax to 10%. Anybody with any money doesn't pay it currently because it's actually relatively simple to dodge and there are plenty of ways to do it. So set it at a rate those people might not mind and get some money. 10% of something is better than 40% of nothing.

We could just make the use of offshore bank accounts and tax havens illegal,.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:13 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Ainland wrote:Targeting tax cuts on the lowest paid, increases their disposable income. I assumed this was obvious.

And yet the evidence is showing that government policy is in fact leaving them worse off.

That's why we do points 1, 2, 3 and 5 from my 7 point plan!
Slava Ukraini

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:13 pm

Celritannia wrote:
The Nihilistic view wrote:None of these things are going to happen but I have a 7 point plan to boom the economy.

1) Cut fuel duty in half and also stop the practice of charging VAT on the price including the duty.

4) Remove the financial transaction type taxes/levies that have been put on the financial sector since 2008.

6) Introduce a lower tier of corperation tax of 5% up to a threshold of £100,000

7) Reduce Inheritance tax to 10%. Anybody with any money doesn't pay it currently because it's actually relatively simple to dodge and there are plenty of ways to do it. So set it at a rate those people might not mind and get some money. 10% of something is better than 40% of nothing.

In relation to what?
Slava Ukraini

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:14 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

In relation to what?

Apologies, your 7th point.
Last edited by Celritannia on Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Ainland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ainland » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:17 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Ainland wrote:Targeting tax cuts on the lowest paid, increases their disposable income. I assumed this was obvious.

You just can't help it. You seem insistent on having a generic "Tory bad" debate, and I already told you I'm not interested. I made a specific point about targeting tax cuts on the lowest paid, you don't support it. What about significant minimum wage rises? Do you welcome this, or oppose it also? Or does it just depend on which party it comes from? Because I'm more than happy to tell you plenty of brilliant things Labour have done, but I refuse to be drawn into a petty 'Tory bad' debate to feed your desire to argue. Like I said we haven't got a general election for three years, so could do with some positivity and pulling together for now. I can see this idea is lost on you.

You should try campaigning for the Labour Party though. You're just what the Conservative Party needs!

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:19 pm

Ainland wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

You just can't help it. You seem insistent on having a generic "Tory bad" debate, and I already told you I'm not interested. I made a specific point about targeting tax cuts on the lowest paid, you don't support it. What about significant minimum wage rises? Do you welcome this, or oppose it also? Or does it just depend on which party it comes from? Because I'm more than happy to tell you plenty of brilliant things Labour have done, but I refuse to be drawn into a petty 'Tory bad' debate to feed your desire to argue. Like I said we haven't got a general election for three years, so could do with some positivity and pulling together for now. I can see this idea is lost on you.

You should try campaigning for the Labour Party though. You're just what the Conservative Party needs!

So it's a positive despite the evidence saying it hasn't helped?

I'm not going to stop criticizing the government just because you keep screaming for unity.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Ainland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Ainland » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:23 pm

There is no evidence that says low income people having more money does not help them.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:31 pm

Ainland wrote:There is no evidence that says low income people having more money does not help them.

Because you stuck your fingers in your ears and screamed when presented with the evidence.

Poor hit twice as hard as rich by tax-and-benefit changes since Conservatives came to power, independent analysis finds
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Ainland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Ainland » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:33 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Ainland wrote:There is no evidence that says low income people having more money does not help them.

Because you stuck your fingers in your ears and screamed when presented with the evidence.

Poor hit twice as hard as rich by tax-and-benefit changes since Conservatives came to power, independent analysis finds

Calm down, dear. There is absolutely nothing in this article to support your claim that tax cuts on low income people, does not help them. I think, once again, you are conflating your general notion that the Tories are bad, with a specific claim

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:33 pm

Ainland wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Calm down, dear. There is absolutely nothing in this article to support your claim that tax cuts on low income people, does not help them. I think, once again, you are conflating your general notion that the Tories are bad, with a specific claim

So what does the article actually say then?

The worst-off 10 per cent of households have lost 7 per cent of their income since 2010, they say – rising to 18 per cent among those families with children.

[...]

Income tax has also been cut, by raising the threshold at which it is paid, but – despite ministers’ rhetoric – those changes have mostly benefited workers higher up the income scale.

[...]

“On average, those in the upper middle of the income distribution have benefited the most from personal tax and benefit reforms and the poorest households have experienced the biggest proportional loss.”
Last edited by Vassenor on Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:34 pm

Sure if you want to assdestroy the planet more than humanity already does.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:34 pm

Celritannia wrote:
In relation to what?

Apologise, your 7th point.

Yeah I thought that most likely but always best to check.

So I'm about to blow your mind, I have just agreed a plan with my mum that should effectively reduce the inheritance tax bill when she dies to nothing. It doesn't involve foriegn bank accounts and nor does she need to become a tax domicile of a tax haven. Also doesn't involve her handing me any assets now. The small hiccup as with a lot of IHT planning is she needs to probably live about 10 years to get it all properly sorted out but that can be mitigated by taking out a life insurance policy for this period. Obviously I hope she lives another 30 years.

You don't need to move any money abroad or use any of the "this is what rich people do" tropes.

You might think this surprising but I'd not really clocked IHT as something particularly nebulous. I still don't actually think this as it happens at the current rate with the current thresholds. However about 6 months ago after she called me in to help her work out how to provide a good income for herself without resorting to buying annuities as she approaches 60. I suddenly realised just how much IHT I would be on the hook for and obviously if I can avoid it great so that set me thinking about how to combine providing an income, and maybe even growing capital in a way that would remove any IHT liability.

So I've come to a practical standpoint on the rate, I've asked a bunch of friends and family what rate of IHT would they consider not worth escaping and 10%-15% became the average answer. Once you get past 15% the cost of reducing the IHT liability basically becomes a no brainer. I can imagine most people were opposed to any IHT but they figured that the costs and effort of dodging 10% weren't worth it at that level until you have gone significantly north of £10m outside of the existing allowances. Obviously this isn't peer revied investigation but the people I've talked to are the people that have significant assets to dispose of and are the people the tax mostly targets. They are also the people that will take and have taken steps to reduce any future IHT liability. So the question you should ask is one of practicality about how best to raise the revenue in a way that doesn't cause contention and incentives to dodge the tax.
Last edited by The Nihilistic view on Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slava Ukraini

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:41 pm

I would obviously hope we do not see to make a profit, but some countries might see fit to share the burden.

Of course, the China's Sionvac is being sold to third world countries, and Russians claim to have 1.2 billion paid orders of Sputnik V from third world countries, and interest from the EU which apparently includes staying quiet about human rights abuses to get the Russian vaccine... Anyhoo, my point is large numbers of the third world have in fact already paid for vaccines - if we can get some vaccines to them and we shoulder part of the costs, that's not the worst thing in the world, although giving them away would be a helpful counterbalance against some of the vaccine diplomacy going on...
Last edited by Hirota on Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:57 pm

I actually wouldn't do all that offshore stuff myself and I'm not the sort or person that wants to deal with that kind of nonsense. Same with the disguised renumeration schemes, never used one and wouldn't ever say it was a good idea. The people that started to face income tax bills in 2019 over it I don't have a problem with. I don't buy the whole "we were told it was legal" because it just smells wrong. Set up a company, loan yourself the money from the company that has been paid by your employer and never pay it back. How on earth could you consider that the right thing to do? It just isn't.

The are plenty of perfectly legal ways to structure things to reduce overall tax liabilities, you don't need to stretch to those sorts of so obviously morally dubious measures to pay less tax.
Slava Ukraini

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:20 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:I actually wouldn't do all that offshore stuff myself and I'm not the sort or person that wants to deal with that kind of nonsense. Same with the disguised renumeration schemes, never used one and wouldn't ever say it was a good idea. The people that started to face income tax bills in 2019 over it I don't have a problem with. I don't buy the whole "we were told it was legal" because it just smells wrong. Set up a company, loan yourself the money from the company that has been paid by your employer and never pay it back. How on earth could you consider that the right thing to do? It just isn't.

The are plenty of perfectly legal ways to structure things to reduce overall tax liabilities, you don't need to stretch to those sorts of so obviously morally dubious measures to pay less tax.

I mean sure, that's somewhat fine, I guess, if you are using legal ways.
But I still would prefer seeing anti-tax evasion laws.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Ainland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Ainland » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:25 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:1) Cut fuel duty in half and also stop the practice of charging VAT on the price including the duty.

I really like this. Too often we hear from metropolitan folk with excellent public transport links, all about traffic congestion and the impact on the environment. But what about all the people who live in rural Britain? Who live in huge counties with no city, whose lives are spread around villages and towns connected only by country lanes and the occasional A road? Travelling 30 miles to one town to work, 20 miles to another to visit family, 40 miles to another to visit a certain business. Increasing fuel duty to address problems in cities, unfairly punishes people in these counties whose lives are so sprawled and have no other realistic way to travel. It is another example of some people being out of touch with the rest of the country, or people who aren't like them. Or who just assume that everyone who opposes fuel duty rises are either selfish or anti-environment.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:31 pm

Ainland wrote:
The Nihilistic view wrote:1) Cut fuel duty in half and also stop the practice of charging VAT on the price including the duty.

I really like this. Too often we hear from metropolitan folk with excellent public transport links, all about traffic congestion and the impact on the environment. But what about all the people who live in rural Britain? Who live in huge counties with no city, whose lives are spread around villages and towns connected only by country lanes and the occasional A road? Travelling 30 miles to one town to work, 20 miles to another to visit family, 40 miles to another to visit a certain business. Increasing fuel duty to address problems in cities, unfairly punishes people in these counties whose lives are so sprawled and have no other realistic way to travel. It is another example of some people being out of touch with the rest of the country, or people who aren't like them. Or who just assume that everyone who opposes fuel duty rises are either selfish or anti-environment.

So why don't we hear from them, rather than just you asserting what they totally think?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:31 pm

Celritannia wrote:
The Nihilistic view wrote:I actually wouldn't do all that offshore stuff myself and I'm not the sort or person that wants to deal with that kind of nonsense. Same with the disguised renumeration schemes, never used one and wouldn't ever say it was a good idea. The people that started to face income tax bills in 2019 over it I don't have a problem with. I don't buy the whole "we were told it was legal" because it just smells wrong. Set up a company, loan yourself the money from the company that has been paid by your employer and never pay it back. How on earth could you consider that the right thing to do? It just isn't.

It's one of the reason I favour income and transactional taxes. They are the easiest to collect and it's pretty hard to get out of paying them completely. I would trade lower IHT and other such taxes for a higher income tax rate. Just remove the taxes that are easier to dodge and increase the ones that aren't.
Slava Ukraini

Ainland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Ainland » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:34 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Ainland wrote:I really like this. Too often we hear from metropolitan folk with excellent public transport links, all about traffic congestion and the impact on the environment. But what about all the people who live in rural Britain? Who live in huge counties with no city, whose lives are spread around villages and towns connected only by country lanes and the occasional A road? Travelling 30 miles to one town to work, 20 miles to another to visit family, 40 miles to another to visit a certain business. Increasing fuel duty to address problems in cities, unfairly punishes people in these counties whose lives are so sprawled and have no other realistic way to travel. It is another example of some people being out of touch with the rest of the country, or people who aren't like them. Or who just assume that everyone who opposes fuel duty rises are either selfish or anti-environment.

So why don't we hear from them, rather than just you asserting what they totally think?

I don't understand your question. Are you suggesting that there are in fact not people calling for higher tax on fuel/opposing a reduction in tax on fuel? Or are you saying that nobody argues that this is the pro-environment approach?

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:36 pm

Ainland wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

I don't understand your question. Are you suggesting that there are in fact not people calling for higher tax on fuel/opposing a reduction in tax on fuel? Or are you saying that nobody argues that this is the pro-environment approach?

I'm suggesting we let them speak for themselves rather than speaking for them.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:39 pm

Celritannia wrote:

It's one of the reason I favour income and transactional taxes. They are the easiest to collect and it's pretty hard to get out of paying them completely. I would trade lower IHT and other such taxes for a higher income tax rate. Just remove the taxes that are easier to dodge and increase the ones that aren't.

Bu most wealth is held via inheritance, not income.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Ainland
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Ainland » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:40 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Ainland wrote:

Speaking for who? It seems like you're just picking for an argument again. It's perfectly legitimate to say that I support s reduction in fuel duty, due to the impact on rural communities, and oppose the rhetoric from those who absolutely do claim this is an anti-environmental position, or that it is needed to reduce congestion in cities.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:40 pm

Remember, tax fraud costs us £20bn a year.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:41 pm

Ainland wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Speaking for who? It seems like you're just picking for an argument again. It's perfectly legitimate to say that I support s reduction in fuel duty, due to the impact on rural communities, and oppose the rhetoric from those who absolutely do claim this is an anti-environmental position, or that it is needed to reduce congestion in cities.

I'm picking for an argument by saying the people you claim to speak for should be able to speak for themselves? :eyebrow:
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General