NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread XIII: The Brexit Ship Departs

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who would you / will you vote for in the Scottish Parliament election?

SNP
26%
Conservative Party
16%
Labour Party
20%
Liberal Democrats
12%
Scottish Greens
9%
Mispronounced Alba Party
2%
Reform UK
8%
Other
8%

Total votes : 92

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:26 am

Celritannia wrote:Also, what is "anti-British speech"?
Blaming the UK for it's Empire and how it controlled their colonial possessions?

Well there is actual Anti-British speech which is you know stuff like hating Britain, British people, British institutions, wanting to see the UK destroyed, blaming all British people for certain things, saying that British Culture is inferior or always inherently bad etc etc

Then there is cop out Anti-British speech which in my experience basically boils down to "How dare you criticise my country's history in anyway shape or form" or point out something broken or fucked up in British Society. Or even just criticising the government or daring to say maybe we should fix something which sometimes is met with a chorus of "Well why dont you just leave if you dont like it soo much"

If you mean something like a legal definition idk what they are using for that
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:28 am

Blaming the UK for it's Empire and how it controlled their colonial possessions?

Idk, you might as well ask what hate speech is. I put it in the category of 'name created by a particular group for speech that they don't like.' Both are nonsense obvs.
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:34 am

Supporting the EU over a fully independent UK. ;)
Slava Ukraini

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:29 am

Just to be clear I accept the rationales on offer from certain folk in this thread for restricting speech and agree the free speech argument is a cynical ploy and that the Tories are just restricting speech while calling it free speech.

The problem those folks face is that I, and millions of others, agree with their argument. They won the argument over many years of insisting speech needs to be curtailed and ignoring people warning them consistently they were crafting a rod for their own back.

You won guys
The problem is... we view you as a dangerous, racist, sexist, authoritarian movement whose speech causes harm, and you protesting otherwise and trying to argue with us is meaningless to us as someone you view as a racist trying to argue they aren't would be to you.

Because that's the nature of censoring your views. This is not up for debate or discussion, we are not interested in doing that with you.

And that's why nobody cares that there are now moves to censor you.

You won the argument. Congratulations. Enjoy prison/unemployment/deplatforming etc.

And the reason you get people sick of woke shit wanting to curb your movement is obvious, but the reason genuine free speech advocates are on our side in this is... because its fucking funny.

You were warned for decades and once your movement is censored, deplatformed, and imprisoned out of existence, then we can debate with free speech types whether to break the rod you crafted. But not before giving you a few good smacks with it to teach you a lesson.

This seems to be direction that is being travelled right now.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:36 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:56 am

I think it's all still up I the air. We managed to win the free press argument and prevent the attempts to overly regulate it over the last ten years. A free press is a big part of free speech.

Maybe it's 1-1 and we are heading into extra time.
Slava Ukraini

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:59 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:

Rude and unbased pilled.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:03 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:

Well there is actual Anti-British speech which is you know stuff like hating Britain, British people, British institutions, wanting to see the UK destroyed, blaming all British people for certain things, saying that British Culture is inferior or always inherently bad etc etc

Then there is cop out Anti-British speech which in my experience basically boils down to "How dare you criticise my country's history in anyway shape or form" or point out something broken or fucked up in British Society. Or even just criticising the government or daring to say maybe we should fix something which sometimes is met with a chorus of "Well why dont you just leave if you dont like it soo much"

If you mean something like a legal definition idk what they are using for that

This is it.

I don't mind people attack British history when there is legitimacy.
But saying "we should criticise everything about the UK" or "The UK cannot be criticised in anyway" is just silly.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:04 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
I didn't say people don't listen to it.
I said 'does anyone like listening to it', and 'we should call it our when it happens'.

But the more people that do, can get radicalised and start threatening or harming others.

Then that's on them. You don't 'get radicalised,' you here something, think this sounds good and decide that you should start killing people. This is the same sort of argument that was used by think of the children types to attack video games and rock music and it's not gotten any more persuasive.

*Points to the Capitol Hill riots*.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:26 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:Just to be clear I accept the rationales on offer from certain folk in this thread for restricting speech and agree the free speech argument is a cynical ploy and that the Tories are just restricting speech while calling it free speech.

The problem those folks face is that I, and millions of others, agree with their argument. They won the argument over many years of insisting speech needs to be curtailed and ignoring people warning them consistently they were crafting a rod for their own back.

You won guys
The problem is... we view you as a dangerous, racist, sexist, authoritarian movement whose speech causes harm, and you protesting otherwise and trying to argue with us is meaningless to us as someone you view as a racist trying to argue they aren't would be to you.

Because that's the nature of censoring your views. This is not up for debate or discussion, we are not interested in doing that with you.

And that's why nobody cares that there are now moves to censor you.

You won the argument. Congratulations. Enjoy prison/unemployment/deplatforming etc.

And the reason you get people sick of woke shit wanting to curb your movement is obvious, but the reason genuine free speech advocates are on our side in this is... because its fucking funny.

You were warned for decades and once your movement is censored, deplatformed, and imprisoned out of existence, then we can debate with free speech types whether to break the rod you crafted. But not before giving you a few good smacks with it to teach you a lesson.

This seems to be direction that is being travelled right now.

But of course the issue is that once the rod is introduced, it is extremely difficult to actually remove the rod, or to modify it into a harmless bit of background. Which is ever the greater irony with lefties advocating for censorship- despite inherently being the most probable people to be victimised by such tools, they argued for them to be brought into existence anyway, and now find that it's going to be damn near impossible to get out from under the boot.

It's like all of the measures put in place after 9/11. There're all still there, being blatant violations of freedom, just now being used on different targets.

The worst part is that the argument wasn't even overtly insane. The press had gone after innocent people in a way that was unacceptable. Hate movements did flourish online as the web allowed these cantankerous prats to find each other. Students did feel that the presence of hateful bigots on their campuses was violating the safety they felt on those premises. The first couple of folks that got hounded by Twitter were for the most part genuinely awful people.

But the end result is the same. It became acceptable to punish people for what they said. Certain opinions de facto became crimes. And those tools were immediately used by the people in power against the very people who argue that things should change- which is always the left, despite them being the very same people who wished these controls into existence in the first place.

I tell you, the past 10 years have been like watching a terrible tragedy at the theatre. I just wonder when King Lear's going to be walking in with dead Cordelia in his arms?

:roll:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:35 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:I think it's all still up I the air. We managed to win the free press argument and prevent the attempts to overly regulate it over the last ten years. A free press is a big part of free speech.

you didn't win anything. you didn't regulate the media because the media is on your side and allowing them to make shit up like corbyn is a jam loving terrorist benefits you.
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:39 am

All this because white men aren't the center of the universe any more and that upsets some people.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:54 am

Souseiseki wrote:
The Nihilistic view wrote:I think it's all still up I the air. We managed to win the free press argument and prevent the attempts to overly regulate it over the last ten years. A free press is a big part of free speech.

you didn't win anything. you didn't regulate the media because the media is on your side and allowing them to make shit up like corbyn is a jam loving terrorist benefits you.

Terrorist loving jam eater would have been more accurate.
Slava Ukraini

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:58 am

Souseiseki wrote:

I always found that ironic, especially when the Tories have a former IRA member in their party.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:04 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Souseiseki wrote:

I always found that ironic, especially when the Tories have a former IRA member in their party.

A former IRA member joining the unionist party is a bit of an indication that associating with him isn't associating with an anti British person.

Like, former neo nazi joins pro Israel party vs party leader wont stop praising neo nazis, insists he isn't one, keeps criticising Israel.

While some people are probably full on "Once an enemy always an enemy" I think most british nationalists are a but more practical about it.

After all, we haven't nuked France.

Yet.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:08 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

A former IRA member joining the unionist party is a bit of an indication that associating with him isn't associating with an anti British person.

Like, former neo nazi joins pro Israel party vs party leader wont stop praising neo nazis, insists he isn't one, keeps criticising Israel.

While some people are probably full on "Once an enemy always an enemy" I think most british nationalists are a but more practical about it.

Yet.

It's ironic because an actual terrorist is in a party that proclaimed the least likely person to be a terrorist, a terrorist.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:10 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

Yet.

It's ironic because an actual terrorist is in a party that proclaimed the least likely person to be a terrorist, a terrorist.

It is a bit yes.
Ostro.MOV

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:14 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

Yet.

Nuking France would just be putting French people out of their misery.
Slava Ukraini

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:36 pm

The Nihilistic view wrote:Nuking France would just be putting French people out of their misery.

It would also put Britain out of its misery in that French second strike.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:43 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
The Nihilistic view wrote:Nuking France would just be putting French people out of their misery.

It would also put Britain out of its misery in that French second strike.

They would have preemptively surrendered before we could launch a first strike.
Slava Ukraini

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:46 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:It would also put Britain out of its misery in that French second strike.

Assuming you could acquire Pentagon's consent and approval of launching their missiles on Paris in the first place.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:21 pm

The death of an MI6 agent whose naked body was found inside a locked holdall at his London flat is to be reviewed.

Metropolitan Police investigators said new information about Gareth Williams, who died in 2010, had come to light.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56158160
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Fartsniffage
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Fartsniffage » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:50 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:

Assuming you could acquire Pentagon's consent and approval of launching their missiles on Paris in the first place.

UK has independent control of our nuclear arsenal.

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:27 pm

New Covid timetable! Roadmap starts on Page 24, (and summarised on Page 43) but the key bits are:
March 8th
School returns
Outdoor socialising relaxed to allow adults to meet for coffee or drink in a one-to-one scenario
March 29th
Rule of six or two households in public spaces or private gardens
Legal “Stay at Home” order will end
Government urging to work from home where possible will continue
No earlier than April 12th
Outdoor pub and restaurant serving only with no curfew or substantial meal rules
Non-essential shops to re-open
Hairdressers to re-open
Personal beauty shops to re-open
Libraries and museums to re-open
Gyms and leisure centres to re-open for single adults
Holiday lets
Driving lessons can resume
No earlier than May 17th
Indoor mixing allowed again, with rule of six
Pubs and restaurants indoor service re-opens
Cinemas re-open
Rule of six abandoned outdoors, restricted to 30
Sporting venues will reopen
No earlier than June 21st
All legal limits mixing
Large events and performances will be allowed again
No limits on weddings or other life events
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:34 pm

Hirota wrote:New Covid timetable! Roadmap starts on Page 24, (and summarised on Page 43) but the key bits are:
March 8th
School returns
Outdoor socialising relaxed to allow adults to meet for coffee or drink in a one-to-one scenario
March 29th
Rule of six or two households in public spaces or private gardens
Legal “Stay at Home” order will end
Government urging to work from home where possible will continue
No earlier than April 12th
Outdoor pub and restaurant serving only with no curfew or substantial meal rules
Non-essential shops to re-open
Hairdressers to re-open
Personal beauty shops to re-open
Libraries and museums to re-open
Gyms and leisure centres to re-open for single adults
Holiday lets
Driving lessons can resume
No earlier than May 17th
Indoor mixing allowed again, with rule of six
Pubs and restaurants indoor service re-opens
Cinemas re-open
Rule of six abandoned outdoors, restricted to 30
Sporting venues will reopen
No earlier than June 21st
All legal limits mixing
Large events and performances will be allowed again
No limits on weddings or other life events

Let's just hope people don't start rushing all at once.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

Yawkland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Yawkland » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:12 pm

Celritannia wrote:
Souseiseki wrote:

The union of Irish independists and aristocratic conservatives is exactly what we need to restore Stuart monarchs.
The Commonwealth of Yawkland
A democratic and prosperous, but insular nation founded by wealthy Anglo-American Protestants and British aristocrats in the 1860s. Today it is run by their fashionable descendants who enjoy playing squash and participating in the latest diet fads.

Intensely mistrusting of outsiders, especially Catholics.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General