NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread XIII: The Brexit Ship Departs

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who would you / will you vote for in the Scottish Parliament election?

SNP
26%
Conservative Party
16%
Labour Party
20%
Liberal Democrats
12%
Scottish Greens
9%
Mispronounced Alba Party
2%
Reform UK
8%
Other
8%

Total votes : 92

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:24 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Dresderstan wrote:Seriously?

It was the only source saying it so like i said, take it with a pinch of salt.

EuroWeekly too, but not sure how reliable it is.
Last edited by Celritannia on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:01 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:So, Brexit isn't the fisherman's friend that it was painted to be.

That must be a hard pill to swallow.

In theory, the loss of international seafood sales could have been recouped by increasing domestic consumption. The government should encourage people to buy local seafood.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:02 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:So, Brexit isn't the fisherman's friend that it was painted to be.

In theory, the loss of international seafood sales could have been recouped by increasing domestic consumption. The government should encourage people to buy local seafood.

If we were willing to eat local seafood we wouldn't be importing a billion pounds more fish than we export.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:12 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:

I would have thought that the kippers would buy more.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Thanatttynia
Senator

Founded: Nov 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thanatttynia » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:03 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:

They should give people £10 to spend at their local fishmongers and call it Eat Fish to Help Rishi Sunak
Syng I wolde, butt, alas! decendunt prospera grata.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:41 am

The guardian now shilling for anti-vaxers once it found out most of them are minorities. The usual excuses thrown out.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... vid-jab-uk
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:45 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:The guardian now shilling for anti-vaxers once it found out most of them are minorities. The usual excuses thrown out.

Exactly what part of that article is "shilling for anti-vaxxers"?

Or are you interpreting "quoting a SAGE spokesperson talking about why there is general mistrust for the medical profession among the BAME community because of historic racism" as shilling for anti-vaxxers?
Last edited by Vassenor on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:46 am

Who benefits from spreading rumours online that the vaccines contain cow and pig products? Certainly isn't ethnic minorities.
Everything is intertwinkled

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:53 am

Vassenor wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:The guardian now shilling for anti-vaxers once it found out most of them are minorities. The usual excuses thrown out.

Or are you interpreting "quoting a SAGE spokesperson talking about why there is general mistrust for the medical profession among the BAME community because of historic racism" as shilling for anti-vaxxers?

Pretending the reasons for high levels of anti-vax attitude in the black community is down to historical racism and not challenging that is the shilling for them.

Some facts:
Black women are much more likely to refuse the vaccine.
Younger black people are much more likely to refuse the vaccine. (Somewhat flies in the face of their argument).

This does not align with their excuse making.

The real issue is their social media groups. The more time on social media black people spend, the more likely to be an anti-vaxxer. This is also true of white people, but the difference is the problem is much more pronounced for black peoples social media groups.

The guardian won't say that however because it might imply we need to intervene and start policing black peoples social media groups, and that's only for white males complaining about domestic violence agaisnt themselves, not black people prolonging a global plague.

I'd even say it's critical race theory come home to roost. The emphasis on "Storytelling" and contempt for empiricism the theory actively supports meant this kind of mindset was inevitable in black social media groups that skew towards it.

They will always find it "More true" that "The evil white man has poisoned the vaccines" than a scientific document explaining why the vaccine is safe.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:55 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Who benefits from spreading rumours online that the vaccines contain cow and pig products? Certainly isn't ethnic minorities.

I mean whether they benefit or not, it still could be them. You're also ignoring that fueling grievance against white people and keeping minortiies angry and feeling persecuted absolutely is in some minority persons interests. It's the same reason the republicans in the US ended up anti-lockdown and so on. Fueling a vague sense of anger, suspicion, fear and so on benefits certain people who are geared to take advantage of it, then turn that negativity on their political enemies.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:00 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Pretending the reasons for high levels of anti-vax attitude in the black community is down to historical racism and not challenging that is the shilling for them.

Some facts:
Younger black people are much more likely to refuse the vaccine. (Somewhat flies in the face of their argument).

The real issue is their social media groups. The more time on social media black people spend, the more likely to be an anti-vaxxer. This is also true of white people, but the difference is the problem is much more pronounced for black peoples social media groups.

The guardian won't say that however because it might imply we need to intervene and start policing black peoples social media groups, and that's only for white males complaining about domestic violence agaisnt themselves, not black people prolonging a global plague.

I'd even say it's critical race theory come home to roost. The emphasis on "Storytelling" and contempt for empiricism the theory actively supports meant this kind of mindset was inevitable in black social media groups that skew towards it.

They will always find it "More true" that "The evil white man has poisoned the vaccines" than a scientific document explaining why the vaccine is safe.

So basically because you said so and because you needed to go off on one about white males being oppressed by the evil left.

Because like it or not, structural racism against BAME patients a very real thing.
Last edited by Vassenor on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:00 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Who benefits from spreading rumours online that the vaccines contain cow and pig products? Certainly isn't ethnic minorities.

I mean whether they benefit or not, it still could be them. You're also ignoring that fueling grievance against white people and keeping minortiies angry and feeling persecuted absolutely is in some minority persons interests. It's the same reason the republicans in the US ended up anti-lockdown and so on. Fueling a vague sense of anger, suspicion, fear and so on benefits certain people who are geared to take advantage of it, then turn that negativity on their political enemies.

QED.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:04 am

Vassenor wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

Some facts:

So basically because you said so and because you needed to go off on one about white males being oppressed by the evil left.

I have precisely as much basis for my explanation of the phenomena as SAGE did. Mine also aligns with the demographics more.

SAGE's explanation relies on these people knowing the history of medical racism, while being oblivious to the changes made since then. It relies on this being *overwhelmingly young people and women* without an explanation for how that could possibly be true.

My explanation simply relies on them having a social media account and frequenting black spaces which have normalized a particular anti-empirical style of thinking, constant "validation" and grievance mongering, and so on. This aligns with the demographics in question.
Ostro.MOV

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:05 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

I have precisely as much basis for my explanation of the phenomena as SAGE did. Mine also aligns with the demographics more.

SAGE's explanation relies on these people knowing the history of medical racism, while being oblivious to the changes made since then. It relies on this being *overwhelmingly young people and women* without an explanation for how that could possibly be true.

My explanation simply relies on them having a social media account and frequenting black spaces which have normalized a particular anti-empirical style of thinking, constant "validation" and grievance mongering, and so on. This aligns with the demographics in question.

So you're going to ignore the research on the matter then.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:29 am

Vassenor wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

So you're going to ignore the research on the matter then.

This asserts without basis that the cause is down to racism despite us knowing that biology plays a significant role and once you control for health conditions, there is no disparity. The disparity arises because certain health conditions are much more common in black women. It's one of those sickle cell anemia type things.

It simply points to the disparity and says "It has to be racism" without doing any actual research on the matter, and this is about the level of academia i've come to expect on this topic. It would be like me pointing to the fact poverty exists and saying "And therefore, goblins." without bothering to actually draw a line between those two, because me and my friends will just throw a massive tantrum if you deny such a link exists, and have thrown so many tantrums over so many years that people don't even think a line needs to be drawn anymore and just accept goblins is the obvious explanation for any and all examples of wealth disparity.

It's an example of the steady drip of propaganda that has been fed to black people which has led to outcomes like the mass refusal of vaccines.

Also;

https://i.redd.it/0k0oy3g2dlb61.jpg
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:43 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:

This asserts without basis that the cause is down to racism despite us knowing that biology plays a significant role and once you control for health conditions, there is no disparity. The disparity arises because certain health conditions are much more common in black women. It's one of those sickle cell anemia type things.

It simply points to the disparity and says "It has to be racism" without doing any actual research on the matter, and this is about the level of academia i've come to expect on this topic. It would be like me pointing to the fact poverty exists and saying "And therefore, goblins." without bothering to actually draw a line between those two, because me and my friends will just throw a massive tantrum if you deny such a link exists, and have thrown so many tantrums over so many years that people don't even think a line needs to be drawn anymore and just accept goblins is the obvious explanation for any and all examples of wealth disparity.

It's an example of the steady drip of propaganda that has been fed to black people which has led to outcomes like the mass refusal of vaccines.

Also;

I see you also browse PCM
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:45 am

Agarntrop wrote:I see you also browse PCM

I love it.
Ostro.MOV

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:46 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:

Also;

So let's see the data supporting your side of the argument then.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:51 am

Vassenor wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

Also;

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19303496/

One example.

Black people have higher incidents of certain health conditions even once you control for income. This is not groundbreaking.

Some of those health conditions produce higher mortality rates in childbirth.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:54 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19303496/

One example.

So what do the symptoms of venous thromboembolism have to do with how different ethnic groups are treated by doctors and its effects on trust among said ethnic groups? Which was the original point being made going right back to the Guardian article.

Or are you just moving the goalposts to keep your argument afloat?

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2372732214548430

Large health disparities persist between Black and White Americans. The social psychology of intergroup relations suggests some solutions to health care disparities due to racial bias. Three paths can lead from racial bias to poorer health among Black Americans. First is the already well-documented physical and psychological toll of being a target of persistent discrimination. Second, implicit bias can affect physicians’ perceptions and decisions, creating racial disparities in medical treatments, although evidence is mixed. The third path describes a less direct route: Physicians’ implicit racial bias negatively affects communication and the patient–provider relationship, resulting in racial disparities in the outcomes of medical interactions. Strong evidence shows that physician implicit bias negatively affects Black patients’ reactions to medical interactions, and there is good circumstantial evidence that these reactions affect health outcomes of the interactions. Solutions focused on the physician, the patient, and the health care delivery system; all agree that trying to ignore patients’ race or to change physicians’ implicit racial attitudes will not be effective and may actually be counterproductive. Instead, solutions can minimize the impact of racial bias on medical decisions and on patient–provider relationships.
Last edited by Vassenor on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:03 am

Vassenor wrote:
So what do the symptoms of venous thromboembolism have to do with how different ethnic groups are treated by doctors and its effects on trust among said ethnic groups? Which was the original point being made going right back to the Guardian article.

I mean you moved the goalposts here. Your pregnancy mortality example for proving current health discrimination was an erroneous one.

As for your new link;
"Circumstantial evidence this effects health outcomes.".

You mean like "Well, it turns out black people die more in childbirth. This could be down to racism. (if we ignore all the evidence that it isn't)."

As to "trust", you need to explain why older black people are more likely to take the vaccine than younger ones in that case. It seems to me that it isn't correlated with negative experience with the healthcare system, just the opposite. Those who have spent longer on this earth and have had more interactions with doctors appear more trusting of the vaccine.

Somewhat undermines your explanation, and again supports mine that it is down to social media spaces and the toxic mindsets they are cultivating.
Ostro.MOV

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:08 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

I mean you moved the goalposts here. Your pregnancy mortality example for proving current health discrimination was an erroneous one.

As for your new link;

You mean like "Well, it turns out black people die more in childbirth. This could be down to racism. (if we ignore all the evidence that it isn't)."

As to "trust", you need to explain why older black people are more likely to take the vaccine than younger ones in that case. It seems to me that it isn't correlated with negative experience with the healthcare system, just the opposite. Those who have spent longer on this earth and have had more interactions with doctors appear more trusting of the vaccine.

Somewhat undermines your explanation, and again supports mine that it is down to social media spaces and the toxic mindsets they are cultivating.

So you're just claiming victory because you're desperate to prove you're the oppressed one here. I'm wondering if you actually read the article or just based your assumptions on the abstract.

Consider the following examples: An analysis of more than one million clinical visits for children with symptoms of respiratory infections found that Black children were significantly less likely than White children to receive antibiotics, even after eliminating relevant medical and socioeconomic variables (Gerber et al., 2013). Another national study revealed that Black children who lose a finger are half as likely as White children to have the finger reattached (Squitieri, Reichert, Kim, Steggerda, & Chung, 2011). A review of almost 800,000 hospital discharge records found that Blacks with peripheral arterial disease were 77% more likely than Whites to have the affected limb amputated (Durrazzo, Frencher, & Gusberg, 2013); this disparity was greatest in the best-resourced medical facilities. Black women receiving chemotherapy for breast cancer were significantly more likely than White women to receive nonstandard treatment regimens (Griggs et al., 2007). These disparities cannot be explained by differences in the specific disease characteristics, patients’ insurance, or SES. Racial bias among physicians could contribute to these disparities (Penner, Hagiwara, et al., 2013).

[...]

Evidence implicates racial bias as a contributor to health disparities between Whites and Blacks, either directly through stress-related processes or indirectly through quality of treatment decisions and quality of clinical communication (see Figure 1). Most physicians are consciously committed to eliminate racial disparities in health care, but they are not immune to the cultural and social forces that lead many Americans to implicit, often unconscious, racial biases. Although researchers still do not fully understand the role of such biases in health disparities, all the observed effects are uniformly in the direction of greater racial bias leading to lower quality care for Black patients. These documented biases demand the attention of health care administrators and providers who are committed to providing high quality care for all patients.

Understanding when, where, and how physician implicit bias contributes to disparities in health care and outcomes is a significant challenge for health care researchers. Many factors besides implicit bias affect treatment decisions and medical outcomes. These include a patient’s medical history and specific presenting problem, the quality of treatment facilities, the available treatment options, and what treatments are covered by the patient’s insurance. Ultimately, any racial bias must be placed in the context of these other factors. What’s more, the path(s) from implicit bias to health care and health status must be better specified. However, it is not reasonable to deny the role of racial bias in health care disparities simply because it is complex. Understanding bias in health care can guide interventions for reducing racial disparities and improve health outcomes.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:12 am

Vassenor wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

As for your new link;

So you're just claiming victory because you're desperate to prove you're the oppressed one here. I'm wondering if you actually read the article or just based your assumptions on the abstract.

And none of what you posted addresses my point Vass. I have not denied that racism exists. I disputed one example you offered, and noted that racism is not a plausible explanation for the anti-vaccination mentality that has swept the black community given the disparities in who is anti-vax and who isn't.

Try explaining this:

Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:14 am

Oh, the monthly Ostro vs. Vass/Celrit/ABH shouting match is on.

I think I'll just watch this time.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:15 am

Ostroeuropa wrote:black people prolonging a global plague

Oh wait I see the angle here. Looking for people to blame to take the heat for why we've been stuck like this for so long off all the entitled middle classers who decided that the pandemic restrictions were an infringement on their personal liberties.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General