NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread XIII: The Brexit Ship Departs

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who would you / will you vote for in the Scottish Parliament election?

SNP
24
26%
Conservative Party
15
16%
Labour Party
18
20%
Liberal Democrats
11
12%
Scottish Greens
8
9%
Mispronounced Alba Party
2
2%
Reform UK
7
8%
Other
7
8%
 
Total votes : 92

User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 39163
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fartsniffage » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:45 am

Ifreann wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
IIRC according to his will he's not going to have a state funeral or military parade.

The funeral procession won't be happening, I believe, because of the pandemic. Don't want people lining the streets. It won't be a state funeral because, as you say, Philip just didn't want one.


He also doesn't qualify for one. The Queens Consort only qualifies for a ceremonial funeral.

The difference is very hard to spot. I personally have no idea what it is.
Strong opinions, lightly held.

User avatar
The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21952
Founded: May 23, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:11 am

Fartsniffage wrote:
Ifreann wrote:The funeral procession won't be happening, I believe, because of the pandemic. Don't want people lining the streets. It won't be a state funeral because, as you say, Philip just didn't want one.


He also doesn't qualify for one. The Queens Consort only qualifies for a ceremonial funeral.

The difference is very hard to spot. I personally have no idea what it is.


It has now been officially confirmed that the funeral will in fact will comply with all Covid restrictions, meaning only 30 people will attend and facemasks will be worn. I am pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and Megan will not be one of those 30.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

User avatar
Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 22754
Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Salus Maior » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:13 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
He also doesn't qualify for one. The Queens Consort only qualifies for a ceremonial funeral.

The difference is very hard to spot. I personally have no idea what it is.


It has now been officially confirmed that the funeral will in fact will comply with all Covid restrictions, meaning only 30 people will attend and facemasks will be worn. I am pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and Megan will not be one of those 30.


Well, she did want out of the Royal family, didn't she?

Would she even want to be there?
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist.

”I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”- Faramir, The Two Towers

“No one in the world can change Truth. What we can do and should do is to seek truth and to serve it when we have found it. The real conflict is the inner conflict. Beyond armies of occupation and the hecatombs of extermination camps, there are two irreconcilable enemies in the depth of every soul: good and evil, sin and love. And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?”
~ St. Maximilian Kolbe

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 145297
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ifreann » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:15 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
He also doesn't qualify for one. The Queens Consort only qualifies for a ceremonial funeral.

The difference is very hard to spot. I personally have no idea what it is.


It has now been officially confirmed that the funeral will in fact will comply with all Covid restrictions, meaning only 30 people will attend and facemasks will be worn. I am pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and Megan will not be one of those 30.

Daily Mail just came.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Regular Thorough Handwashing For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Mask Wearing That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Social Distancing
He/Him

You've got a lonesome road to walk, and it ain't along the railroad track, and it ain't along the black-top tar you walked a hundred times before.
I'll tell you where the real road lies: between your ears, behind your eyes. That is the path to paradise, likewise the road to ruin.

User avatar
Atheris
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5790
Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Atheris » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:23 am

Fartsniffage wrote:
Ifreann wrote:The funeral procession won't be happening, I believe, because of the pandemic. Don't want people lining the streets. It won't be a state funeral because, as you say, Philip just didn't want one.


He also doesn't qualify for one. The Queens Consort only qualifies for a ceremonial funeral.

The difference is very hard to spot. I personally have no idea what it is.

State funerals are public, ceremonial funerals are private. The gun carriage in a state funeral is (usually) drawn by the Royal Navy, in ceremonial funerals (usually) by horses. A state funeral requires a message from the Sovereign to the Houses of Parliament, and a ceremonial funeral doesn't.
Kannap wrote:It is I, the stranger in the night who cuts the power lines with hedge clippers
Valentine Z wrote:**a m b i e n c e**
Kick cancer's ass for me, Owlograd!
is mah birfday!
The self-proclaimed Resident Shitposter of NSG.
Proudly sex-repulsed ace and bisensual aro. Cis he/him. Trans ally. ADHD.
"To comment is human, to preview, divine." - Godot
Orthodox Preterist non-denominational Christian Universalist.
I write fanfiction. Fuck you if you judge me. (Have recently written: "21's a Lot of Fun"; A Tifa birthday fic! Happy Tifa Day!)
Pirate Politics are fucking awesome.

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 145297
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ifreann » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:24 am

TIL horses and sailors are interchangeable.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Regular Thorough Handwashing For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Mask Wearing That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Social Distancing
He/Him

You've got a lonesome road to walk, and it ain't along the railroad track, and it ain't along the black-top tar you walked a hundred times before.
I'll tell you where the real road lies: between your ears, behind your eyes. That is the path to paradise, likewise the road to ruin.

User avatar
Vassenor
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 57463
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Vassenor » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:31 am

Ifreann wrote:TIL horses and sailors are interchangeable.


It's a tradition. It doesn't need to make sense. :roll:
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

User avatar
Definitely Not Trumptonium
Diplomat
 
Posts: 724
Founded: Mar 13, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Definitely Not Trumptonium » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:36 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Two police officers have been sacked after filming themselves breaking the speed limit at 89 mph in a seized high-performance vehicle.

Devon and Cornwall Police officers PC Shaun Pearce and PC Daniel Pike shared the video with colleagues on WhatsApp.

They were taking part in road safety campaign, which included preventing speeding, at the time.

A disciplinary hearing on Thursday found the officers had committed gross misconduct and should be dismissed.

They are now banned from working for the police in England and Wales.

PC Pearce and PC Pike were on road safety duty as part of the 'Fatal Five' campaign - which includes targeting speeding drivers - when the incident happened on 16 January 2019 , the hearing heard.

The officers had seized the vehicle, and while waiting for a recovery vehicle to arrive, drove it without the owner's permission reaching speeds up to 89 mph over 3.1 miles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56698186

Oh the irony.


The only tragedy here is that this is a country where 89mph is not just considered high speed, but career ending.

85-90mph is the actual speed limit in the vast majority of European countries.

The fact that this is happening under a party which is presumably against nanny stateism is even worse.
I sexually identify as Michael Jackson and my preferred pronouns are He / Hee!

User avatar
Definitely Not Trumptonium
Diplomat
 
Posts: 724
Founded: Mar 13, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Definitely Not Trumptonium » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:45 am

Does anyone have any advice when I should leave my basement?

Sitting here since Christmas in expectation of the riots over food prices and no medicines and whatnot, only got 6 tins of Heinz baked beans left and one box of pasta. My urine-water filter is going off. I don't have much time left down here, I hope everything is still ok with civilisation upstairs.
I sexually identify as Michael Jackson and my preferred pronouns are He / Hee!

User avatar
Kowani
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37561
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:47 am

Sex is great. But have you tried data visualizations of partisan spatial segregation?
The National Debt is not debt, but merely the sum total, to the penny, of every untaxed dollar in existence since the start of the nation.
Updating Trackers! How Congress votes, what Americans believe,world leader approvals, and vaccinations!
Headline of the day: Debris from Chinese rocket Long March-5B expected to hit Earth Saturday or Sunday
“Dale limona, mujer, que no hay en la vida ná, como la pena de ser, ciego en Graná”
the white man still cries when you cut down the lynching trees

User avatar
Vassenor
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 57463
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Vassenor » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:49 am

Definitely Not Trumptonium wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:
Two police officers have been sacked after filming themselves breaking the speed limit at 89 mph in a seized high-performance vehicle.

Devon and Cornwall Police officers PC Shaun Pearce and PC Daniel Pike shared the video with colleagues on WhatsApp.

They were taking part in road safety campaign, which included preventing speeding, at the time.

A disciplinary hearing on Thursday found the officers had committed gross misconduct and should be dismissed.

They are now banned from working for the police in England and Wales.

PC Pearce and PC Pike were on road safety duty as part of the 'Fatal Five' campaign - which includes targeting speeding drivers - when the incident happened on 16 January 2019 , the hearing heard.

The officers had seized the vehicle, and while waiting for a recovery vehicle to arrive, drove it without the owner's permission reaching speeds up to 89 mph over 3.1 miles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56698186

Oh the irony.


The only tragedy here is that this is a country where 89mph is not just considered high speed, but career ending.

85-90mph is the actual speed limit in the vast majority of European countries.

The fact that this is happening under a party which is presumably against nanny stateism is even worse.


Except it's not, but go off.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

User avatar
Celritannia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12595
Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Celritannia » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:50 am


My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad

Crysuko wrote:My little crony: corruption is magic
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist, Pansexual, Left-Libertarian.

User avatar
Ainland
Envoy
 
Posts: 312
Founded: Jan 02, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainland » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:51 am

Salus Maior wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:I wonder if HIS funeral will be limited to 30 people.


IIRC according to his will he's not going to have a state funeral or military parade.

All members of the royal family plan their funeral while they're alive. The Duke of Edinburgh did not want a state funeral. The funeral will comply with Covid19 regulations for funerals, which includes no more than 30 guests. The Queen's four children and eight grandchildren will certainly attend, including Prince Harry.

Prince Philip was a man devoted to selfless duty and service, who didn't want fuss. Had he wanted a state funeral, it would almost certainly have been granted by the Queen and Parliament. The most recent state funeral was that of Sir Winston Churchill.
Last edited by Ainland on Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Czar
 
Posts: 34052
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:52 am

Definitely Not Trumptonium wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:
Two police officers have been sacked after filming themselves breaking the speed limit at 89 mph in a seized high-performance vehicle.

Devon and Cornwall Police officers PC Shaun Pearce and PC Daniel Pike shared the video with colleagues on WhatsApp.

They were taking part in road safety campaign, which included preventing speeding, at the time.

A disciplinary hearing on Thursday found the officers had committed gross misconduct and should be dismissed.

They are now banned from working for the police in England and Wales.

PC Pearce and PC Pike were on road safety duty as part of the 'Fatal Five' campaign - which includes targeting speeding drivers - when the incident happened on 16 January 2019 , the hearing heard.

The officers had seized the vehicle, and while waiting for a recovery vehicle to arrive, drove it without the owner's permission reaching speeds up to 89 mph over 3.1 miles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56698186

Oh the irony.


The only tragedy here is that this is a country where 89mph is not just considered high speed, but career ending.

85-90mph is the actual speed limit in the vast majority of European countries.

The fact that this is happening under a party which is presumably against nanny stateism is even worse.

"It's bad because in other countries it's different." Lol wut. UK laws apply to police officers in the UK, so mentioning what the speed limits are in other countries as if it's relevant is just stupid.

The police officers in this case broke that specific law when they were meant to be enforcing it. The ruling of gross misconduct is entirely justified.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Vassenor
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 57463
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Vassenor » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:52 am

Ainland wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
IIRC according to his will he's not going to have a state funeral or military parade.

All members of the royal family plan their funeral while they're alive. The Duke of Edinburgh did not want a state funeral. The funeral will comply with Covid19 regulations for funerals, which includes no more than 30 guests. The Queen's four children and eight grandchildren will certainly attend, including Prince Harry.


10 day quarantine requirement for entering the country says hi.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

User avatar
Kowani
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37561
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:55 am

Sex is great. But have you tried data visualizations of partisan spatial segregation?
The National Debt is not debt, but merely the sum total, to the penny, of every untaxed dollar in existence since the start of the nation.
Updating Trackers! How Congress votes, what Americans believe,world leader approvals, and vaccinations!
Headline of the day: Debris from Chinese rocket Long March-5B expected to hit Earth Saturday or Sunday
“Dale limona, mujer, que no hay en la vida ná, como la pena de ser, ciego en Graná”
the white man still cries when you cut down the lynching trees

User avatar
Ainland
Envoy
 
Posts: 312
Founded: Jan 02, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainland » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:55 am

Vassenor wrote:
Ainland wrote:All members of the royal family plan their funeral while they're alive. The Duke of Edinburgh did not want a state funeral. The funeral will comply with Covid19 regulations for funerals, which includes no more than 30 guests. The Queen's four children and eight grandchildren will certainly attend, including Prince Harry.


10 day quarantine requirement for entering the country says hi.

There is an exception for attending a funeral of a family member. This applies to everyone, not just Prince Harry. There will be no exception to the rules. I trust this is not a disappointment to you.

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Czar
 
Posts: 34052
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:57 am

Kowani wrote:
Celritannia wrote:NIP is a scam.

...because?

It's been shown that the folk behind NIP are the same ones that were behind the whole Northumbrian independence thing, so that's their agenda, but they've disguised it under a new name, so yes it's a scam.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Vassenor
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 57463
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Vassenor » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:58 am

Ainland wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
10 day quarantine requirement for entering the country says hi.

There is an exception for attending a funeral of a family member. This applies to everyone, not just Prince Harry. There will be no exception to the rules. I trust this is not a disappointment to you.


What makes you think I'm disappointed?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

User avatar
Kowani
Post Czar
 
Posts: 37561
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:59 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Kowani wrote:...because?

It's been shown that the folk behind NIP are the same ones that were behind the whole Northumbrian independence thing, so that's their agenda, but they've disguised it under a new name, so yes it's a scam.

okay that's not what a "scam" is
Sex is great. But have you tried data visualizations of partisan spatial segregation?
The National Debt is not debt, but merely the sum total, to the penny, of every untaxed dollar in existence since the start of the nation.
Updating Trackers! How Congress votes, what Americans believe,world leader approvals, and vaccinations!
Headline of the day: Debris from Chinese rocket Long March-5B expected to hit Earth Saturday or Sunday
“Dale limona, mujer, que no hay en la vida ná, como la pena de ser, ciego en Graná”
the white man still cries when you cut down the lynching trees

User avatar
Definitely Not Trumptonium
Diplomat
 
Posts: 724
Founded: Mar 13, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Definitely Not Trumptonium » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:07 am

Vassenor wrote:
Definitely Not Trumptonium wrote:
The only tragedy here is that this is a country where 89mph is not just considered high speed, but career ending.

85-90mph is the actual speed limit in the vast majority of European countries.

The fact that this is happening under a party which is presumably against nanny stateism is even worse.


Except it's not, but go off.


Much on this list is simply wrong.

The list proclaims 130 as the speed limit in Poland and Germany, while in Poland it is 140 (https://www.autostrada-a4.com.pl/bezpie ... tostradzie) and Germany has no speed limit, but 140 is the recommended limit drivers stick to.

So I won't bother thinking if the rest is correct, because if they can't carry out a 9 second google search I'm simply not interested beyond telling you you're wrong and the sources you use are utter shit.

Besides, UK police forces have a 10% + 2 rule (effectively the UK speed limit is 79mph in most Police constabulary districts before you are issued a fine) and the same is true of European countries, and 89 - 79mph is not a big difference. On the M25 for example, you need to be traveling at least 81mph+ to be issued a fine.

https://www.roadlawbarristers.co.uk/spe ... s-it-mean/
https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/dr ... tolerances
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/lega ... ing-fines/
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/uk-w ... le-3522398

The New California Republic wrote:"It's bad because in other countries it's different." Lol wut. UK laws apply to police officers in the UK, so mentioning what the speed limits are in other countries as if it's relevant is just stupid.

The police officers in this case broke that specific law when they were meant to be enforcing it. The ruling of gross misconduct is entirely justified.


I didn't say that UK police officers should enforce different countries speed limits. Are you even reading my post or not even bothering?

The problem here is that a police officer lost his job because he went just 10mph over what he would get caught out by, and if it was a normal civilian, it would just be a minor fine. Moreover, the press and police report proclaim this to be a tragedy, whereas the real tragedy is that he wouldn't even be fined across the vast majority of Europe for travelling at 89mph, and in most relevant large countries, he would be entirely within the speed limit.
Last edited by Definitely Not Trumptonium on Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I sexually identify as Michael Jackson and my preferred pronouns are He / Hee!

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Czar
 
Posts: 34052
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:07 am

Kowani wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:It's been shown that the folk behind NIP are the same ones that were behind the whole Northumbrian independence thing, so that's their agenda, but they've disguised it under a new name, so yes it's a scam.

okay that's not what a "scam" is

Yeah I think Cel was meaning it figuratively rather than literally.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Vassenor
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 57463
Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Vassenor » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:09 am

Definitely Not Trumptonium wrote:


Much on this list is simply wrong.

The list proclaims 130 as the speed limit in Poland and Germany, while in Poland it is 140 (https://www.autostrada-a4.com.pl/bezpie ... tostradzie) and Germany has no speed limit, but 140 is the recommended limit drivers stick to.

So I won't bother thinking if the rest is correct, because if they can't carry out a 9 second google search I'm simply not interested beyond telling you you're wrong and the sources you use are utter shit.

Besides, UK police forces have a 10% + 2 rule (effectively the UK speed limit is 79mph in most Police constabulary districts before you are issued a fine) and the same is true of European countries, and 89 - 79mph is not a big difference.
https://www.roadlawbarristers.co.uk/spe ... s-it-mean/
https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/dr ... tolerances
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/lega ... ing-fines/
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/uk-w ... le-3522398

The New California Republic wrote:"It's bad because in other countries it's different." Lol wut. UK laws apply to police officers in the UK, so mentioning what the speed limits are in other countries as if it's relevant is just stupid.

The police officers in this case broke that specific law when they were meant to be enforcing it. The ruling of gross misconduct is entirely justified.


I didn't say that UK police officers should enforce different countries speed limits. Are you even reading my post or not even bothering?

The problem here is that a police officer lost his job because he went just 10mph over what he would get caught out by, and if it was a normal civilian, it would just be a minor fine. Moreover, the press and police report proclaim this to be a tragedy, whereas the real tragedy is that he wouldn't even be fined across the vast majority of Europe for travelling at 89mph, and in most relevant large countries, he would be entirely within the speed limit.


So a Police officer serving with a road safety unit TWOCs a car and goes speeding off, and you think he should face no consequences for this behaviour because you think the speed limit is too low?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

User avatar
The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10050
Founded: May 14, 2013
Moralistic Democracy

Postby The Nihilistic view » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:11 am

Definitely Not Trumptonium wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:
Two police officers have been sacked after filming themselves breaking the speed limit at 89 mph in a seized high-performance vehicle.

Devon and Cornwall Police officers PC Shaun Pearce and PC Daniel Pike shared the video with colleagues on WhatsApp.

They were taking part in road safety campaign, which included preventing speeding, at the time.

A disciplinary hearing on Thursday found the officers had committed gross misconduct and should be dismissed.

They are now banned from working for the police in England and Wales.

PC Pearce and PC Pike were on road safety duty as part of the 'Fatal Five' campaign - which includes targeting speeding drivers - when the incident happened on 16 January 2019 , the hearing heard.

The officers had seized the vehicle, and while waiting for a recovery vehicle to arrive, drove it without the owner's permission reaching speeds up to 89 mph over 3.1 miles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56698186

Oh the irony.


The only tragedy here is that this is a country where 89mph is not just considered high speed, but career ending.

85-90mph is the actual speed limit in the vast majority of European countries.

The fact that this is happening under a party which is presumably against nanny stateism is even worse.


The boys in blue going for a bit of a joy ride in somebody else's car isn't the worst thing? :rofl:
The Trinity. Churchill Johnson and Thatcher.

Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Bangladesh, Cook Islands, Canada, Cyprus, Dominica, Egypt, France, Fiji, The Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, India, Israel, Iraq, Ireland, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Singapore, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Myanmar, Nauru, New Zealand, Niue, Namibia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United States, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe are UNITED KINGDOM!!!
PC=Econ L/R:2.5(1.88): Soc Lib/Auth:-1.13(0.26)

User avatar
Definitely Not Trumptonium
Diplomat
 
Posts: 724
Founded: Mar 13, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Definitely Not Trumptonium » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:11 am

Vassenor wrote:
Definitely Not Trumptonium wrote:
Much on this list is simply wrong.

The list proclaims 130 as the speed limit in Poland and Germany, while in Poland it is 140 (https://www.autostrada-a4.com.pl/bezpie ... tostradzie) and Germany has no speed limit, but 140 is the recommended limit drivers stick to.

So I won't bother thinking if the rest is correct, because if they can't carry out a 9 second google search I'm simply not interested beyond telling you you're wrong and the sources you use are utter shit.

Besides, UK police forces have a 10% + 2 rule (effectively the UK speed limit is 79mph in most Police constabulary districts before you are issued a fine) and the same is true of European countries, and 89 - 79mph is not a big difference.
https://www.roadlawbarristers.co.uk/spe ... s-it-mean/
https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/dr ... tolerances
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/lega ... ing-fines/
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/uk-w ... le-3522398



I didn't say that UK police officers should enforce different countries speed limits. Are you even reading my post or not even bothering?

The problem here is that a police officer lost his job because he went just 10mph over what he would get caught out by, and if it was a normal civilian, it would just be a minor fine. Moreover, the press and police report proclaim this to be a tragedy, whereas the real tragedy is that he wouldn't even be fined across the vast majority of Europe for travelling at 89mph, and in most relevant large countries, he would be entirely within the speed limit.


So a Police officer serving with a road safety unit TWOCs a car and goes speeding off, and you think he should face no consequences for this behaviour because you think the speed limit is too low?


I don't think people's private lives should be influenced by the power of media and journalism, no.
I sexually identify as Michael Jackson and my preferred pronouns are He / Hee!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bobanopula, Borderlands of Rojava, Caleonia, Deustches Volksrepublik, Fahran, Forsher, Grand Proudhonia, Gressemphe, GuessTheAltAccount, Il Borgia Vaticano, J o J, Just-An-Illusion, Kubra, Mannixa Prime, Nerodanus, North Sonovia, Political Geography, Seangoli, Senkaku, The Alma Mater, The Nihilistic view, The Reformed American Republic, The Yeetusa, Trixeland, Vassenor, Washington Resistance Army, Xmara

Advertisement

Remove ads