NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread XIII: The Brexit Ship Departs

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who would you / will you vote for in the Scottish Parliament election?

SNP
26%
Conservative Party
16%
Labour Party
20%
Liberal Democrats
12%
Scottish Greens
9%
Mispronounced Alba Party
2%
Reform UK
8%
Other
8%

Total votes : 92

Echo Chamber Thought Police
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 25, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:17 am

CoraSpia wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Northern Ireland abortion law changes proposed by the DUP

Of course its nothing more than a PR campaign by the DUP to distract from their failures regarding Brexit. Because Sinn Fein last year wanted to introduce an Amendment to alter the motion to only restrict access to abortions in case of severe foetal impairments such as down syndrome was voted down by the Assembly. And the DUP wanted to get rid of the thing in general. Now the DUP is saying that there should be new checks put into place regarding abortions and issues such as down syndrome.

And Paula Bradshaw of the Alliance Party says (in the article above) that such checks are already in place. And frankly, i dont believe the DUP, a party with long standing anti-LGBT attitudes, anti-Irish attitudes and generally anti-everything that isnt a Straight Protestant Unionist attitudes, when it says it wants to protect people with disabilities from discrimination

Sometimes good things are done for bad reasons. This is one of those times.

you support freedom until it backfires on you

typical libertarian
Add circa 10,000 posts on to current account, founded May 14th 2018. Agarntrop is other account.
LOHG: A UK-based political RP
OCCUPY THE HEDGEFUNDS - INVEST IN GAMESTOP
Left-leaning Social Democrat
You Have No Authority Here, Jackie Weaver

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:19 am

Echo Chamber Thought Police wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:
Sometimes good things are done for bad reasons. This is one of those times.

you support freedom until it backfires on you

typical libertarian

Do you support killing disabled babies?
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:20 am

Echo Chamber Thought Police wrote:The tories have 6 seats in Scotland, labour has 1...

It helps labour more than it does the tories, Nihil.

Conservatives have 56.15% of the current MPs. Chop of Scotland and they have 60.74% of the remaining MPs. And in England it's 64.72% of MPs.

Conservatives are the only party on the right of politics, everybody else is on the left to varying degrees. So the converse to this is as you chop off the extremities of the UK you have less MPs that aren't conservatives.

So if your goal is to first kick the conservatives out of power you need the UK to be whole. The more fractured it becomes the more that the parts that are left show a conservative bias.

That's why Scottish independence doesn't help Labour but helps the Conservatives become more dominant.

Also nobody is stupid enough to believe all those SNP voters will vote Tory if the SNP fades. They will vote Labour and Lib Dem again if you remove independence from the equation.
Slava Ukraini

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:24 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Echo Chamber Thought Police wrote:you support freedom until it backfires on you

typical libertarian

fetuses within the legal 12 week abortion limit in Northern Ireland cannot feel nor think. they are not babies.

also it is not for you to take the moral high ground when you openly advocate not only the legalisation of but actively encourage people to kill living, born human beings by deliberately spreading diseases such as covid and rabies and think the government should leave the unemployed and homeless to die.
Add circa 10,000 posts on to current account, founded May 14th 2018. Agarntrop is other account.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:26 am

CoraSpia wrote:Do you support killing disabled babies?

fetuses within the legal 12 week abortion limit in Northern Ireland cannot feel nor think. they are not babies.

also it is not for you to take the moral high ground when you openly advocate not only the legalisation of but actively encourage people to kill living, born human beings by deliberately spreading diseases such as covid and rabies and think the government should leave the unemployed and homeless to die.

There is no time limit for terminations when there is a "substantial risk" a fetus would suffer a severe mental or physical impairment.

A bit different from 12 weeks, don't you think?
GVH has a puppet. It supports #NSTransparency and hosts a weekly zoom call for nsers that you should totally check out

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:30 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:
Echo Chamber Thought Police wrote:The tories have 6 seats in Scotland, labour has 1...

It helps labour more than it does the tories, Nihil.

Conservatives have 56.15% of the current MPs. Chop of Scotland and they have 60.74% of the remaining MPs. And in England it's 64.72% of MPs.

Conservatives are the only party on the right of politics, everybody else is on the left to varying degrees. So the converse to this is as you chop off the extremities of the UK you have less MPs that aren't conservatives.

So if your goal is to first kick the conservatives out of power you need the UK to be whole. The more fractured it becomes the more that the parts that are left show a conservative bias.

That's why Scottish independence doesn't help Labour but helps the Conservatives become more dominant.

Also nobody is stupid enough to believe all those SNP voters will vote Tory if the SNP fades. They will vote Labour and Lib Dem again if you remove independence from the equation.

conversely, if you take the labour percentage of seats with scotland, it is 30.92%, and without Scotland it is 33.84%

labour is also net benefitted by scottish independence, proportionally slightly more than the tories when you factor in that labour has less than 2/3rds of the seats the tory party does in parliament.

i also dont see snp voters going back to labour anytime soon to be frank. electoral trends suggest the SNP are only getting stronger.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:32 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:

conversely, if you take the labour percentage of seats with scotland, it is 30.92%, and without Scotland it is 33.84%

labour is also net benefitted by scottish independence, proportionally slightly more than the tories when you factor in that labour has less than 2/3rds of the seats the tory party does in parliament.

i also dont see snp voters going back to labour anytime soon to be frank. electoral trends suggest the SNP are only getting stronger.

It isn't about whether it benefits labour as well as the tories. It benefits the tories more than any other party because the snp and labour tend to form something of a voting bloc on the majority off issues.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:33 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Echo Chamber Thought Police wrote:fetuses within the legal 12 week abortion limit in Northern Ireland cannot feel nor think. they are not babies.

There is no time limit for terminations when there is a "substantial risk" a fetus would suffer a severe mental or physical impairment.

I suppose I would support narrowing the abolition of the time limit down to only in circumstances of the impairments being fatal to the life of the fetus/child within either pregnancy or infancy/childhood.

although, it is a very difficult situation. many families do not have the money to support children with severe disabilities.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:33 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Echo Chamber Thought Police wrote:conversely, if you take the labour percentage of seats with scotland, it is 30.92%, and without Scotland it is 33.84%

It isn't about whether it benefits labour as well as the tories. It benefits the tories more than any other party because the snp and labour tend to form something of a voting bloc on the majority off issues.

that dosent really matter when we have a tory majority of 79 seats

i am talking more widely in terms of elections

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:34 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Echo Chamber Thought Police wrote:you support freedom until it backfires on you

typical libertarian

Fetus. Fetus.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:35 am

CoraSpia wrote:There is no time limit for terminations when there is a "substantial risk" a fetus would suffer a severe mental or physical impairment.

I suppose I would support narrowing the abolition of the time limit down to only in circumstances of the impairments being fatal to the life of the fetus/child within either pregnancy or infancy/childhood.

although, it is a very difficult situation. many families do not have the money to support children with severe disabilities.

I'm not a lover of killing babies for your own convenience, or of disabled people being more disposable than able-bodied people. The latter one is a pretty big deal for me.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:36 am

The New California Republic wrote:
CoraSpia wrote:Do you support killing disabled babies?

Fetus. Fetus.

A fetus that would be viable outside of the womb is a baby.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:36 am

CoraSpia wrote:I'm not a lover of killing babies for your own convenience, or of disabled people being more disposable than able-bodied people. The latter one is a pretty big deal for me.

Fetuses aren't people. Or babies.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:37 am

CoraSpia wrote:A fetus that would be viable outside of the womb is a baby.

Where exactly are you getting this definition?

Wave on, wave on

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:37 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Echo Chamber Thought Police wrote:I suppose I would support narrowing the abolition of the time limit down to only in circumstances of the impairments being fatal to the life of the fetus/child within either pregnancy or infancy/childhood.

I'm not a lover of killing babies for your own convenience, or of disabled people being more disposable than able-bodied people. The latter one is a pretty big deal for me.

fetus =/= baby

please for the love of fucking god do not try and throw emotional shit about how i support 'killing babies' when you yourself have always said, in all circumstances but abortion for some reason, that you have no issues with people committing the passive manslaughter of born human beings, babies, children, adolescents, and adults.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:38 am

CoraSpia wrote:I'm not a lover of killing babies for your own convenience, or of disabled people being more disposable than able-bodied people. The latter one is a pretty big deal for me.

Fetuses aren't people. Or babies.

Would you support abortions up until the point of birth for non-disabled foetuses?

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:38 am

CoraSpia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Fetus. Fetus.

A fetus that would be viable outside of the womb is a baby.

i am more sympathetic to this argument i suppose, which is why i support narrowing down the abortion exemptions to fatal or near-fatal cases.

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:39 am

fetus =/= baby

please for the love of fucking god do not try and throw emotional shit about how i support 'killing babies' when you yourself have always said, in all circumstances but abortion for some reason, that you have no issues with people committing the passive manslaughter of born human beings, babies, children, adolescents, and adults.

What in the name of fuck is 'passive manslaughter?

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:39 am

CoraSpia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Fetuses aren't people. Or babies.

Would you support abortions up until the point of birth for non-disabled foetuses?

In certain cases yes actually.

But anyway there is an abortion thread for this type of discussion.

Wave on, wave on

CoraSpia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby CoraSpia » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:42 am

CoraSpia wrote:Would you support abortions up until the point of birth for non-disabled foetuses?

I was discussing the changes being proposed by the DUP. I'll try to avoid going further into the abortion debate than 'should disabled foetuses receive the same treatment as non-disabled foetuses.'

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:44 am

CoraSpia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:In certain cases yes actually.

I was discussing the changes being proposed by the DUP. I'll try to avoid going further into the abortion debate than 'should disabled foetuses receive the same treatment as non-disabled foetuses.'

Yes I know but the argument is leaning towards becoming far more general.

Wave on, wave on

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:57 am

I think people are too abstract in their views on abortion. I'm publically for the right to choose (subject to a cut-off due to viability) but in my personal life I'm pro life.

I do happen to disagree with termination purely because there is a risk the baby might be disabled. The pressure you hear about that doctors and nurses seem to put on people in this situation to have a termination is absolutely wrong.

But it's a difficult topic which I don't believe has a satisfactory moral outcome. I guess the real question is can you live with yourself if you did it? I don't think I could.
Slava Ukraini

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:59 am

CoraSpia wrote:
Echo Chamber Thought Police wrote:fetus =/= baby

What in the name of fuck is 'passive manslaughter?

you see nothing wrong with the killing of others through spreading diseases to them

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Echo Chamber Thought Police » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:00 am

CoraSpia wrote:Would you support abortions up until the point of birth for non-disabled foetuses?

i would sooner pour hot boiling water down my trousers than go in there again

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:06 am

The New California Republic wrote:In certain cases yes actually.

i would sooner pour hot boiling water down my trousers than go in there again

That certainly ends the debate if you can no longer reproduce. :lol2:
Slava Ukraini

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General