NATION

PASSWORD

UK Politics Thread XIII: The Brexit Ship Departs

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who would you / will you vote for in the Scottish Parliament election?

SNP
26%
Conservative Party
16%
Labour Party
20%
Liberal Democrats
12%
Scottish Greens
9%
Mispronounced Alba Party
2%
Reform UK
8%
Other
8%

Total votes : 92

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:03 am

Turelisa- wrote:
Children are not starving. We don't see multitudes of them reported in the media emaciated and dying like African victims of famine. That's because, thank God, we have a welfare system which catches people from falling into true poverty instead of a choice between starving in the gutter or institutionalisation in workhouses in spartan conditions as paupers fed on gruel. Unfortunately, the safety net of welfare is treated as a hammock in which some feckless people prefer to lie instead of earning money to give their children the best which they deserve.

https://www.childrenssociety.org.uk/wha ... ld-poverty

The number of children in poverty is set to reach five million this year. This means young people around you are going to school hungry, getting bullied for wearing an old uniform, or missing out on activities with friends. These young people have to work extra hard to stay happy, motivated and focused on the future.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48354692

I also want to remind you that there have been a number of deaths with people on Universal Credit.
You truly do not understand just how terrible a welfare system under the Tories is, especially if the UN had to write a report about it.

But don't worry, I have more evidence lined up.
Last edited by Celritannia on Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:03 am

Since I see we’re at the “sharing recipes for chicken stock” stage of supposedly feeding the poor, I think it’s a good time to point out that as of March this year England has 93,000 families in temporary accommodation. This figure has been trending steadily upwards.

Now it seems to me fairly logical that there’s likely a substantial overlap between families in need of assistance with food and families in overcrowded, unstable, unsafe or generally unsuitable housing.

I don't know what people think temporary accommodation *is* but it’s most likely a room in a hostel. Maybe some of your family get another room, maybe they don’t.

There are not necessarily any kitchen facilities at all. What there are will be basic, and most likely shared. If you *do* have your own kitchen facilities we’re talking a hob in the corner of the room.

Let us factor in also that you’re most likely working. This may well be casual or shift work. And/or you may also have health problems, very often a contributory factor in needing temporary accommodation in the first place.

Let us factor in also that you may well not have anywhere to *store* food, particularly cooked food.

Once you factor all this in, you can fairly quickly see the massive blind spot at the heart of so much of the ideal-home “cook for the week” type advice currently being deployed in an effort to suggest not being able to feed your children is basically an issue of culinary ability

It all assumes you’re in a home. More than that, it assumes you’re in a home that offers you the facilities needed to live in this way. It also all assumes you’re able-bodied and *at* home rather than at work.

And so you end up with two possibilities: one, these suggestions for how to feed a family are simply painfully naive, based on no direct experience whatsoever.

Or two: they’re not actually suggestions. They’re deliberately misleading weaponised fantasies expressly designed to undermine empathy and obscure the gaping holes in our social provision.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:35 am

Celritannia wrote:
Turelisa- wrote:
Children are not starving. We don't see multitudes of them reported in the media emaciated and dying like African victims of famine. That's because, thank God, we have a welfare system which catches people from falling into true poverty instead of a choice between starving in the gutter or institutionalisation in workhouses in spartan conditions as paupers fed on gruel. Unfortunately, the safety net of welfare is treated as a hammock in which some feckless people prefer to lie instead of earning money to give their children the best which they deserve.

The number of children in poverty is set to reach five million this year. This means young people around you are going to school hungry, getting bullied for wearing an old uniform, or missing out on activities with friends. These young people have to work extra hard to stay happy, motivated and focused on the future.

I also want to remind you that there have been a number of deaths with people on Universal Credit.
You truly do not understand just how terrible a welfare system under the Tories is, especially if the UN had to write a report about it.

Don't bother trying, as I'm sure there will be an obstinate continuation of both the victim blaming and the Dickensian desire for the destitute little waifs to die in the gutter to punish the poors.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:36 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

Don't bother trying, as I'm sure there will be an obstinate continuation of both the victim blaming and the Dickensian desire for the destitute little waifs to die in the gutter to punish the poors.

Along with an obstinate refusal to believe that things may have changed over the last three decades.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:01 am

Re welfare, it seems like the Jobcentre Plus places get better in more rural areas. In my home town you could have the personal desk number to your advisor/case handler but when I moved my advisor was kept behind a wall of bureaucracy, national phone numbers and security guards. Fortunately I'm in full time work now.

Salandriagado wrote:
Military assistance has been requested over an "ongoing incident" on board an oil tanker situated off the Isle of Wight, the BBC understands.

The crude oil tanker, the Liberian-registered Nave Andromeda, is known to have stowaways on board and was due to dock in Southampton earlier.

Richard Meade, editor of shipping news journal Lloyd's List, said there were thought to be seven stowaways on board.

He said it was believed they had become violent towards the crew.

BBC defence correspondent Jonathan Beale said Hampshire police had requested military assistance but it was not clear what support had been requested "and whether it will be activated or requested for back up."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... e-54684440

In this context I'm thinking it'll involve the SBS/SAS assaulting the ship.

That... sounds like a pretty well maximally shit place to pick to cause problems on a ship, honestly. Clearly not the brightest of sparks, this lot.

Yup, it's like- "alright lads, it's the same soft-ball practice scenario and same location as last Tuesday, except some fine gentlemen from Africa have elected to be our capture targets.."
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:35 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:That... sounds like a pretty well maximally shit place to pick to cause problems on a ship, honestly. Clearly not the brightest of sparks, this lot.

Yup, it's like- "alright lads, it's the same soft-ball practice scenario and same location as last Tuesday, except some fine gentlemen from Africa have elected to be our capture targets.."

When they saw these guys fast-roping out of choppers in the dead of night it's no wonder that it was all over in less than ten minutes:

Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:44 am

Chan Island wrote:
Turelisa- wrote:
The only people who are making kids hungry and inadequately fed are feckless parents. I dont believe government should be expected to take responsibility to provide children with their basic amenities, including food, which even an unemployed parent has the ability to provide for their children, provided they're intelligent enough to adequately feed a family on a basic income and are not indulging in the expensive habits of smoking, drugs or alcohol. I say this not as a privileged middle-class Tory, but as one who was raised during the 1980s in a large family in a household where work was scarce and money tight yet was adequately fed and clothed because my parents exercised thrift.

Do you mean; when the welfare policies were far more generous, and the cost of living much lower than nowadays by any chance? And full time work was guaranteed to be a living wage? Because that would be a more accurate way of interpreting those experiences and times.

Yeah no, cost of living was higher back then and benefits are broadly the same in real terms. Which is not a surprise given benefits are usually linked to inflation in the longer term.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/11/he ... surprised/

https://www.planetaid.org/blog/shifting ... e-so-cheap

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisis ... years.html

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/re ... s/sn06762/ slightly out of date but shows to 2012 real terms values of the most common benefits are either greater or the same as in the 80s.

Rent has been broadly stagnant in that time but thats to be expected as rent sticks fairly close to wages over a long period of time with short term fluctuations.
Slava Ukraini

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:53 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:

When they saw these guys fast-roping out of choppers in the dead of night it's no wonder that it was all over in less than ten minutes:

What kind of name is Soap?
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:54 am

Celritannia wrote:
Turelisa- wrote:

Being bullied for wearing old uniform is a symptom of a shit school and shit parents of the bullies. We had our blazer changed at school but you could still wear the old grey one instead of the new blue one if you wanted if it still fit. You know what? Zero bullying. Money has nothing to do with that.
Slava Ukraini

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:57 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:When they saw these guys fast-roping out of choppers in the dead of night it's no wonder that it was all over in less than ten minutes:

(Image)

What kind of name is Soap?

...Soap?

Wave on, wave on

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:12 am

Cod Modern warfare I imagine.
Slava Ukraini

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:13 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:Cod Modern warfare I imagine.

Yes. Thank you mr Nihilistic
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:23 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
The Nihilistic view wrote:Cod Modern warfare I imagine.

Yes. Thank you mr Nihilistic

Oh right. He was SAS, not SBS.

Wave on, wave on

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:30 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:
Celritannia wrote:

Being bullied for wearing old uniform is a symptom of a shit school and shit parents of the bullies. We had our blazer changed at school but you could still wear the old grey one instead of the new blue one if you wanted if it still fit. You know what? Zero bullying. Money has nothing to do with that.

No, it does happen.
Children will find anything to bully one of their peers for.
Money has everything to do with it.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:31 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:
Chan Island wrote:
Do you mean; when the welfare policies were far more generous, and the cost of living much lower than nowadays by any chance? And full time work was guaranteed to be a living wage? Because that would be a more accurate way of interpreting those experiences and times.

Yeah no, cost of living was higher back then and benefits are broadly the same in real terms. Which is not a surprise given benefits are usually linked to inflation in the longer term.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/11/he ... surprised/

https://www.planetaid.org/blog/shifting ... e-so-cheap

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisis ... years.html

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/re ... s/sn06762/ slightly out of date but shows to 2012 real terms values of the most common benefits are either greater or the same as in the 80s.

Rent has been broadly stagnant in that time but thats to be expected as rent sticks fairly close to wages over a long period of time with short term fluctuations.

Tell this to the 2019 UN report.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:38 am

Priti must be heartbroken the SBS didn't shoot them all.
Everything is intertwinkled

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:56 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Yes. Thank you mr Nihilistic

Oh right. He was SAS, not SBS.

As long as he is not sus.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:59 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Oh right. He was SAS, not SBS.

He'd need to be in a YTP for that to happen.

Wave on, wave on

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:02 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:

He'd need to be in a YTP for that to happen.

Wrong sus https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/sus-among-us
The Blaatschapen should resign

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:06 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Oh right. He was SAS, not SBS.

Surely the SCS would be next in line. The special forces group that deals with terrorist incidents involving sofas and carpets.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:16 am

Turelisa- wrote:Children are not starving. We don't see multitudes of them reported in the media emaciated and dying like African victims of famine. That's because, thank God, we have a welfare system which catches people from falling into true poverty instead of a choice between starving in the gutter or institutionalisation in workhouses in spartan conditions as paupers fed on gruel. Unfortunately, the safety net of welfare is treated as a hammock in which some feckless people prefer to lie instead of earning money to give their children the best which they deserve.

Even Boris Johnson disagree with you

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Monday he fully accepted that children going hungry during school holidays was a problem during the pandemic

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-healt ... 7B1GA?il=0

Philjia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 15, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Philjia » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:49 am

Boris doubles down on not expanding free meals.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54692880

That's a bold strategy Cotton let's see if it pays off for him.

⚧ Trans rights. ⚧
Pragmatic ethical utopian socialist, IE I'm for whatever kind of socialism is the most moral and practical. Pro LGBT rights and gay marriage, pro gay adoption, generally internationalist, ambivalent on the EU, atheist, pro free speech and expression, pro legalisation of prostitution and soft drugs, and pro choice. Anti authoritarian, anti Marxist. White cishet male.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:51 am

*Welsh government covid update having two Welsh flags*

Is the 2nd one there just to demonstrate that they could have had a UK flag but chose not to? Perhaps it needs some Hong Kong style rules regarding which flags are shown and where they are placed. IIRC the PRC flag is always to the left, of bigger or equal size and higher again if not at an equal hight.

Then they'll troll us again by sarcastically having China-Wales flags during their press conferences but not UK-Wales :roll:
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

North American Imperial State
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 05, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby North American Imperial State » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:56 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:

We got 'em boys
i sometimes post on the forums, sometimes i don't, you will never know

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:03 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:*Welsh government covid update having two Welsh flags*

Is the 2nd one there just to demonstrate that they could have had a UK flag but chose not to? Perhaps it needs some Hong Kong style rules regarding which flags are shown and where they are placed. IIRC the PRC flag is always to the left, of bigger or equal size and higher again if not at an equal hight.

Then they'll troll us again by sarcastically having China-Wales flags during their press conferences but not UK-Wales :roll:

The meeting of the Eastern and Western Dragons.

My DeviantArt
Obey
U W0T M8?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General