NATION

PASSWORD

Is there a God?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe in a God or gods?

Yes
34%
No
28%
Maybe
4%
We can't know
7%
We can't know, but leaning yes
8%
We can't know, but leaning no
16%
Other
3%

Total votes : 360

Wink Wonk We Like Stonks
Ambassador

Founded: May 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Wink Wonk We Like Stonks » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:47 am

Southeastern Xiatao wrote:There is no such thing as God.

However there is such thing as Bob. Bob is awesome he created the universe and the world. Bob is love. Bob is life.

I think you misspelled Shrek. No worries, it happens to the best of us.
bad reply? a random criminal/civilian will be sent to SweatshopvilleTM. To date, 63+ have been sent. stonks for apotheosis 2024
pronouns i keep in my washed pasta sauce jars: she, they, he; hedonism is based
according to legend, i once wrote:agender mars-colony automated decadent libertarian anti-statist degrowth

*juggling vials of covid vaccine* come get yall's juice

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:50 am

Gutaiai wrote:Hmm... if you want to answer this question scientifically, then you must ask if the question "Does God exist?" is falsifiable. The answer to this question is a very obvious no, because the religious and non-religious can agree that God cannot be observed. This means that it is impossible to both prove and disprove the existence of God.

So what does that mean? Well, it means that the question is non-scientific, which means it's impossible to answer scientifically.

So I guess that means I should tell my (unwanted) opinion about God's existence. I do not think he exists, simply because he can't be detected. It's like saying you have an invisible friend. If you can't detect God using our senses or any modern technology, then his existence is not worth considering.

There's also the problem of how many belief systems there are. If there was some higher entity, how could we be absolutely sure that it's not Zeus or Thor in the sky? We cannot ascertain which one is the real one, so it's also a factor in making the existence of any higher power not worth considering.

That is all. Have a nice day NationStates.

Almost all religions make falsifiable claims about their gods.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

State of Turelisa
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby State of Turelisa » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:59 am

I'm also certain He saved me from certain death not long after the answered prayer. When I was seventeen, an IRA bomb was planted under a transmission tower beside a motorway, aimed at bringing it down onto the morning rush hour traffic. My route to school took me past the tower, and at the time when the bomb was set to explode I was walking past it at a distance of about 150 feet. The detonator exploded but failed to detonate the bomb. Had the bomb exploded, I should certainly had been killed either by flying shrapnel or by the cables above me crashing down onto me and electrocuting me.
Last edited by State of Turelisa on Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:00 pm

State of Turelisa wrote:I'm also certain He saved me from certain death not long after the answered prayer. When I was seventeen, an IRA bomb was planted under a transmission tower beside a motorway, aimed at bringing it down onto the morning rush hour traffic. My route to school took me past the tower, and at the time when the bomb was set to explode I was walking past it at a distance of about 150 feet when the detonator exploded but failed to detonate the bomb. Had the bomb exploded, I should certainly had been killed either by flying shrapnel or by the cables above me crashing down onto me below and electrocuting me.

One should not attribute to intent that which can just as easily be explained by incompetence.

This exact testimonial is a good illustration of the need for such a caution.
Last edited by Godular on Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:07 pm

I'm open to there being something greater than ourselves, as it'd be pretty arrogant to think that we are the greatest thing in the universe, but the God as described in most Abrahamic religions isn't credible I don't think.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

VlaRiSsiA
Envoy

Founded: Oct 16, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby VlaRiSsiA » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:10 pm

I believe in a god but I’m not going to force others to if they don’t want to.
Shrek may or may not have killed three hundred million people
tl;dr - after nuclear war, corrupt oligarchical hellhole emerges. ogre leads revolution, kills oligarchs after civil war, improves quality of life with progressive social policies and industrialization. couple foreign invasions, assassination attempts, personal losses, and rebellions later, ogre goes psychotic and kills anyone he’s sus of. then a fascist midget invades and kills third of the population, ogre manages to defeat him but goes completely bonkers.
now we got a hyper-totalitarian hyper-militaristic industrial hive-mind quasi-slave state that the ogre 70 years ago would be horrified at
pro: communism, progressivism, national liberation, internationalism
anti: capitalism, imperialism, fascism, conservatism

Hunzali
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 08, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Hunzali » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:14 pm

Honestly? I'll never know.

Do I believe in one? Yes.

And will we ever know as a humanity? Maybe. But for now, with all the chaos in the world, all I can do is try to do what I think, if there is a god, it would want me to do: be a good human, do charity and help humanity.

Kuraschia
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Kuraschia » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:18 pm

I personally don't think there is one, but I have though of something interesting. If you were to brainwash every religious person, destroy every religious item and book and get rid of all evidence that religion ever existed, the thought of the existence of a higher being will, for some reason, come back in a few centuries later. Ironically, that disproves religion, but it is just a fact that no matter what you do, there will still be religious people.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:21 pm

What kind of God would allow Hate Dies Love Arrives to actually happen? Not a real one.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:21 pm

Kuraschia wrote:I personally don't think there is one, but I have though of something interesting. If you were to brainwash every religious person, destroy every religious item and book and get rid of all evidence that religion ever existed, the thought of the existence of a higher being will, for some reason, come back in a few centuries later. Ironically, that disproves religion, but it is just a fact that no matter what you do, there will still be religious people.

People like to think magically. It starts as basic superstitions and works it's way up to like full on religions but no matter what, there will always be superstitious people.

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Devionsa
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Devionsa » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:23 pm

This is all I know. I've had a couple experiences that could be interpreted to be divine, or you could say they were coincidences. I've no way to prove one way or the other. As for personal belief, I believe in a higher power. Not any specific religion, as they are just human and shallow interpretations of an entity that we can't comprehend. Now unless we find some evidence, atheists and theists will not agree. So let's just leave it at that.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:24 pm

State of Turelisa wrote:I'm also certain He saved me from certain death not long after the answered prayer. When I was seventeen, an IRA bomb was planted under a transmission tower beside a motorway, aimed at bringing it down onto the morning rush hour traffic. My route to school took me past the tower, and at the time when the bomb was set to explode I was walking past it at a distance of about 150 feet. The detonator exploded but failed to detonate the bomb. Had the bomb exploded, I should certainly had been killed either by flying shrapnel or by the cables above me crashing down onto me below and electrocuting me.

There sure are alot of Northern Irish people on Nationstates.

State of Turelisa
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby State of Turelisa » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:25 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
State of Turelisa wrote:I'm also certain He saved me from certain death not long after the answered prayer. When I was seventeen, an IRA bomb was planted under a transmission tower beside a motorway, aimed at bringing it down onto the morning rush hour traffic. My route to school took me past the tower, and at the time when the bomb was set to explode I was walking past it at a distance of about 150 feet. The detonator exploded but failed to detonate the bomb. Had the bomb exploded, I should certainly had been killed either by flying shrapnel or by the cables above me crashing down onto me below and electrocuting me.

This happened in England.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/ira- ... 64995.html
Last edited by State of Turelisa on Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:27 pm

State of Turelisa wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:What kind of God would allow Hate Dies Love Arrives to actually happen? Not a real one.

What is Hate Dies Love Arrives?

This: https://youtu.be/bPGYR2bozDg

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:27 pm

State of Turelisa wrote:

This happened in England.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/ira- ... 64995.html

Oh

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:29 pm

Godular wrote:No evidence exists to support the existence of any deity.

San Lumen wrote:I believe there is some sort of higher power. I find it hard to believe that something came from nothing.

We don't know WHAT the universe came from. We cannot make any claims on that point as it is not possible to observe that far back unless we discover some means of penetrating the opaque wall some 13.6 billion light-years out. To claim that it came from nothing is similar to saying it was sneezed forth by the Great Green Arkleseizure. Any number of conjectures could be made as to how it all began, but for the large part it IS just conjecture.

Aureumterra wrote:I have spoken to him, he has guided me, and answered my prayers multiple times. I do have faith in God, against my rational scientific judgement, due to personal experience

EDIT: I want to clarify that he hasn’t spoken to me audibly, rather telepathically of sorts… it’s hard to explain

Now the onus is on you to prove that 'his' voice was not just 'your' voice being improperly attributed. A lot of personal testimonials to effects similar to yours are often indicative of confirmation bias rather than anything more tangible. San Lumen's post subsequent to this quote leans in the same direction.

Such being said, if folks derive comfort from their faith, more power to them for the doing. The thing that frosts me is when people use their faith as a rationale to inflict harm and hate upon others. It is my personal belief that a person's objective should be to make the world a better place for those who follow, and if one thinks such is possible by making the lives of others worse then I daresay that they have not fully considered their position.

I don’t know if it was my imagination but God had a positive impact on my life and I have complete faith in him
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Middle Barael
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Middle Barael » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:33 pm

Maybe, maybe not. There is no way of proving God’s existence, nor it’s lack of existence, nor it’s nature, so why try?

If there was a God, than that god (assuming it is good-hearted) would probably want you to just live your life and be a good person first and foremost, and debating the existence of god would not be considered nearly as important.
If there isn’t a god, than you should still simply live your life and be a good person, as their is no god for you to obsess about.

Essentially, my point is that we do not know if there is a god, nor will we ever know for sure, so rather than wasting our time debating this question, we should all be focusing on making the most of life and being a good human being.

I’m not saying that religion is bad or useless; on the contrary many find it fulfilling and calming, but rather than spending all our time learning and debating religious texts and values and things, we should be putting our religious values and morals into action by living our lives and being good people. And if you are atheist, you should still try to just live your life and be a good person to other people.

I suppose that, personally, I would be the following:
  • Humanist: I believe that inter-human and inter-personal relationships are more relevant than human-god relationships
  • Omnist: I believe that all religions (or lack thereof) are equally worthy and have equal rights to exist, and also that “all religions have some truth in them, but no single religion is the complete truth”
  • Agnostic: I do not know if there is a god or not
  • Apatheist: A portmanteau of “apathetic” and “theism”, it means that I find the question of the existence of god to either be irrelevant or less important
  • Panentheist: I believe that God is the actual universe, but that God also transcends the universe as a sort of non-personified being or “essence”
  • Pandeism: I believe that God became the universe
  • Panendeist: A word I made up, it is a portmanteau of “panentheist” and “Pandeist”, it means that I believe that God became the universe but also transcends it at some sort of non-personified being/essence
Last edited by Middle Barael on Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: Environmentalism, fighting climate change, social democracy, co-ops, police reform, LGBTQ rights, abortions, separation of church and state, democracy, assault weapon ban, proportional representation, multi-party states, Two-State Solution, Israel AND Palestine, pacifism, immigration, Anti-Racism, NHS-type Healthcare, culture, science, multiculturalism, UN, EU

Anti: Environmental destruction, fossil fuels, Trump, Laissez-faire economy, communism, far-right, homophobia, “Pro-Life”, dictatorships, one/two-party systems, guns, Netanyahu, Israeli settlements, Hamas, Jihadism, war, racism, anti-immigration, nationalism, fascism, chauvinism,

8Values
Social: Very Progressive
Economic: Social
Civil: Liberal
Foreign: Internationalist

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:34 pm

What if God is an adolescent cosmic being and all creation as we know it is a school science project?
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:37 pm

Rusozak wrote:What if God is an adolescent cosmic being and all creation as we know it is a school science project?

What if this is a computer game created in the real world and we are in the video game? It would explain why everything is so damn chaotic in this world.

Middle Barael
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Middle Barael » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:38 pm

Picairn wrote:I usually shrug when people ask me this question and tell them I don't know, then move on.

Exactly. It has no real bearing in our lives whether or not God actually exists, and so we should just focus on living in the moment and being a good person. If you wish to believe in god or have a religion or follow religious traditions, than that is your prerogative, but first and foremost you should be focusing on putting your morals and religious commandments into action instead of only talking and debating about them.
Pro: Environmentalism, fighting climate change, social democracy, co-ops, police reform, LGBTQ rights, abortions, separation of church and state, democracy, assault weapon ban, proportional representation, multi-party states, Two-State Solution, Israel AND Palestine, pacifism, immigration, Anti-Racism, NHS-type Healthcare, culture, science, multiculturalism, UN, EU

Anti: Environmental destruction, fossil fuels, Trump, Laissez-faire economy, communism, far-right, homophobia, “Pro-Life”, dictatorships, one/two-party systems, guns, Netanyahu, Israeli settlements, Hamas, Jihadism, war, racism, anti-immigration, nationalism, fascism, chauvinism,

8Values
Social: Very Progressive
Economic: Social
Civil: Liberal
Foreign: Internationalist

Disgraces
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:38 pm

I am an apathetic agnostic deist. It means I believe the existence of a god can't be proven or disproven, and that I believe there is a god that doesn't intervene in the universe, but I don't care about it.
Last edited by Disgraces on Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The nation that represents my views is Tidaton

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:39 pm

Rusozak wrote:What if God is an adolescent cosmic being and all creation as we know it is a school science project?

You ever see how particles of dust just float and drift when they’re hit by the sun, what if we’re just that but on a cosmic dark scale
Free Navalny, Back Gobzems

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:40 pm

Latvijas Otra Republika wrote:

You ever see how particles of dust just float and drift when they’re hit by the sun, what if we’re just that but on a cosmic dark scale

So God brings us to life?

Disgraces
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2020
Corporate Bordello

Postby Disgraces » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:41 pm

What if this is a computer game created in the real world and we are in the video game? It would explain why everything is so damn chaotic in this world.

God is just playing the Sims
The nation that represents my views is Tidaton

The republic ofTexas and northern Mexico
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The republic ofTexas and northern Mexico » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:42 pm

The evidence point in the direction of intelligent design and if you don’t think there is any proof are you so sure that you are right that you are willing to rush spending a eternity in hell

Founder of Victorian Era RP 2,
Loves God, guns and Trump
Stand with France

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General