NATION

PASSWORD

Brazil - USA Confed Cup Final

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who do you think will win?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:42 am

Brazil
57%
USA
43%

Total votes : 44

Italia Orientale
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Brazil - USA Confed Cup Final

Postby Italia Orientale » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:30 pm

i cant believe there r so many haters. i mean jesus christ, the USA has never won shit in soccer and everybody is like pissed off that they're winning now. the confed cup might not really mean shit but beating spain and brazil back to back would be an impressive accomplishment no matter how u slice it. brazil may not be at the height of its powers, but they're certainly not bad. they whooped my italian boys pretty bad, granted italy is in rebuilding mode, but its still quite impressive.

as i said, the confed cup is essenitally meaningless, but these wins would become important if the USA could build on the momentum and translate it to some world cup success. i dont think the USA is anywhere near capable of winning the world cup anytime soon, but i think we're about due for a semi-finals run at the very least.

as for increasing the popularity of soccer in the states, i think it will help. it wont get people to watch the MLS, but it will make people more interested in soccer in general and certainly create a buzz for the USA going into the cup next summer.

by the way, for perspective on my opinion im both an italy and usa fan, i have dual citizenship
Military Alert Level: 5 4 3 2 1

Unione Energetica Italia Orientale --- Energy Consortium Storefront
Establish an Embassy in Italia Orientale
Italia Orientale Economic Statistics

“‘Realism’ it used to be called dishonesty...If there is a way out of this moral pigsty we are living in, the first step towards it is probably to grasp that ‘realism’ does not pay, and that to sell out your friends and sit rubbing your hands while they are destroyed is not the last word in political wisdom.” – George Orwell

"In the midst of so many disasters and acts of violence I must not forget that I wear a sword." - Toussaint L'Ouverture

Colonic Immigration
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Colonic Immigration » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:31 pm

Intangelon wrote:
Colonic Immigration wrote:The confed cup is piss poor, so it would make no dif. Besides, when was the last time you won anything substantial?

I won tenure last year. Good enough?

I am not my nation's soccer team, and I'm sorry you think that way.
:palm:

Also, uh, if you can't get excited about the potential for your team's first FIFA cup win, what's the point of being a soccer fan? Isn't ending a streak of futility a GREAT reason to get excited?

What's wrong with you fractious sourpusses?

We won ours 43 years ago and have done fuckall since...and that was a real tournament.
RoI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Western Mercenary Unio - Yeah, you kinda make idiocy an art

Haikus are easy,
They don't always make much sense,
Refrigerator

Intangelon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:31 pm

Colonic Immigration wrote:
Steel Butterfly wrote:
Colonic Immigration wrote:And anyone that thinks it is knows nothing about football, in my book.

I'm not saying it means something in the grand scheme of things...obviously next summer matters infinitely more. I'm just saying that to America, which has never even been in a FIFA final let alone won one, it matters.

Do any yanks actually care about football?

Jesus Christ, already. YES Americans care about football. ALL of them? No. Just like not all Europeans care. This is a big deal whether you give a shit or not.
+11,569 posts from Jolt/OMAC
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Steel Butterfly
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Butterfly » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:31 pm

Letat wrote:
Colonic Immigration wrote:Do any yanks actually care about football?

Though it's not as popular as basketball, baseball, and American football, here, but a victory in the confederations cup would get picked up by the major networks. And considering that people like to root for winners, news of a victory will increase interest and buzz over football in this country.

Most countries have football as their first sport (or atleast in their top three). You guys just seem to have a nack at creating shyte sports

Man don't be a douche. I don't understand this whole "football v. football" shit. I love american football, played it for years. I love baseball for the same reason. basketball? Eh...not so much...but LeBron is amazing to watch.

Soccer/football/futbol is not fun to play for me. I'm not good at it. But I still watch it when it comes to things like the World Cup because of how wide-spread the sport is. It really is a spectacle.

I think anyone who hates on either sport is just a loser. Sure, joke around, but there's no reason for this "my sport is better than your sport" immaturity.
Founded: March 12th, 2003

Colonic Immigration
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Colonic Immigration » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:33 pm

Iron Chariots wrote:
Ferrous Oxide wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:Quite a bit.

Soccer, not so much.

Sorry, in this reality, "football" actually involves feet. You're thinking of "Run with it, fatty!ball".

The "foot" in football most likely refers to the fact that it's played on foot.

But either way, football is not a single sport, but a family of sports, derived from a common ancestor, much like poker is not a single card game, but a family of card games that includes Hold 'em, Five Card Draw, Seven Card Stud, and others.
Any sport descended from the common football ancestor can correctly be called "football." Saying "Soccer" is just a more specific term, as is "gridiron" or "rugby."

So maybe you should avoid being arrogant when discussing subjects about which you don't know shit.

Harrdly being arrogant- being sensible.
RoI

Haikus are easy,
Refrigerator

Scandavian States
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Scandavian States » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:35 pm

Ferrous Oxide wrote:"Run with it, fatty!ball".

Meet Ronnie Brown. 6'0" and 230lbs of solid muscle. He's made a career of leveling his shoulders and putting 200lb+ men on the injured list. I would also wager that he could easily outrun any soccer star you could name; you know, something that involves the feet you so proudly tout.

Fatty? I think not.

Oh, and back on to the topic of US Soccer...

Kadinichung
Secretary

Founded: May 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kadinichung » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:35 pm

Why blame the Americans for enjoying the Confederations cup win?
I would enjoy any cup win in football.. Well expect the Intertoto Cup
Economic Left/Right: -0.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.41

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:35 pm

goal

Tarantum
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 22, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tarantum » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Brazil scores, 2-1.
Gloria virtutis umbra.

Italia Orientale
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Italia Orientale » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Steel Butterfly wrote:I think anyone who hates on either sport is just a loser. Sure, joke around, but there's no reason for this "my sport is better than your sport" immaturity.

i agree, personally both sports are in my top 3 favorites with american football at #1 and soccer alternating with basketball at #2 and #3

by the way, brazil just cut it to 2-1

“‘Realism’ it used to be called dishonesty...If there is a way out of this moral pigsty we are living in, the first step towards it is probably to grasp that ‘realism’ does not pay, and that to sell out your friends and sit rubbing your hands while they are destroyed is not the last word in political wisdom.” – George Orwell

"In the midst of so many disasters and acts of violence I must not forget that I wear a sword." - Toussaint L'Ouverture

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:37 pm

Well done America. I hope they beat Brazil.
Original join date March 25th 2008, bitches!
Economic Left/Right: 1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.12

Steel Butterfly
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Butterfly » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:37 pm

Tarantum wrote:Brazil scores, 2-1.

Perfect....2-1. This means I'm getting $150 if the US wins by 1

$100 for the USA win

$50 for it being within 1 either way
Founded: March 12th, 2003

Iron Chariots
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Iron Chariots » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:37 pm

Iron Chariots wrote:
Ferrous Oxide wrote:
Sorry, in this reality, "football" actually involves feet. You're thinking of "Run with it, fatty!ball".

The "foot" in football most likely refers to the fact that it's played on foot.

But either way, football is not a single sport, but a family of sports, derived from a common ancestor, much like poker is not a single card game, but a family of card games that includes Hold 'em, Five Card Draw, Seven Card Stud, and others.
Any sport descended from the common football ancestor can correctly be called "football." Saying "Soccer" is just a more specific term, as is "gridiron" or "rugby."

So maybe you should avoid being arrogant when discussing subjects about which you don't know shit.

Harrdly being arrogant- being sensible.

No, being arrogant. And, as I pointed out, factually incorrect.
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.13

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:38 pm

What's the latest score? Also, does anyone know a website where I can keep up with the score?

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:38 pm

Intangelon wrote:I won tenure last year. Good enough?

Also, uh, if you can't get excited about the potential for your team's first FIFA cup win, what's the point of being a soccer fan? Isn't ending a streak of futility a GREAT reason to get excited?

We won ours 43 years ago and have done fuckall since...and that was a real tournament.

Facepalm all you like. You're the one saying "you", as if I were on the team. You also seem to be inveterately determined to ignore the point that it's a big deal regardless of your opinion on the tournament. It is a sad little world you must inhabit if you can't allow fans of perennial losers to feel good about winning.

I'm sorry your nation's team hasn't won anything for 43 years. My nation's team hasn't won anything at all. I'm excited, and your childish attempts at negation are ineffectual.
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Italia Orientale
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Italia Orientale » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:38 pm

hell of a goal by fabiano

go to fifa.com

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:39 pm

Italia Orientale wrote:hell of a goal by fabiano

go to fifa.com

Thank you.

Colonic Immigration
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Colonic Immigration » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:40 pm

Scandavian States wrote:

<snip>

Atleast in rugby we don't need those pads like pussies. :p
RoI

Haikus are easy,
Refrigerator

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:40 pm

Steel Butterfly wrote:
Tarantum wrote:Brazil scores, 2-1.

Perfect....2-1. This means I'm getting $150 if the US wins by 1

$100 for the USA win

$50 for it being within 1 either way

Nice!

Their fan clubs do.

Letat
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Letat » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:43 pm

Scandavian States wrote:

<snip>

Atleast in rugby we don't need those pads like pussies. :p

Yeah I give rugby close to a million points over American football for that reason.
:::Sans la liberté de blâmer, il n'est point d'éloge flatteur:::
:::Absent the freedom to criticize, there is no flattering praise:::

Ferrous Oxide
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ferrous Oxide » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Scandavian States wrote:Image

Meet Ronnie Brown. 6'0" and 230lbs of solid muscle. He's made a career of leveling his shoulders and putting 200lb+ men on the injured list.

Ooh look, somebody found steroids. I'm impressed that he could read the label on the tablet bottle.

Scandavian States wrote:I would also wager that he could easily outrun any soccer star you could name; you know, something that involves the feet you so proudly tout.

Black card. Denied. Joffre Guerrón.

Colonic Immigration
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Colonic Immigration » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Intangelon wrote:
Intangelon wrote:I won tenure last year. Good enough?

Facepalm all you like. You're the one saying "you", as if I were on the team. You also seem to be inveterately determined to ignore the point that it's a big deal regardless of your opinion on the tournament. It is a sad little world you must inhabit if you can't allow fans of perennial losers to feel good about winning.

You know what I meant.
I'm sorry your nation's team hasn't won anything for 43 years. My nation's team hasn't won anything at all.

But, we created the modern game - we deserve to win.
I'm excited, and your childish attempts at negation are ineffectual.

Childish is as childish does.
RoI

Haikus are easy,
Refrigerator

Italia Orientale
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Italia Orientale » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:45 pm

Colonic Immigration wrote:Atleast in rugby we don't need those pads like pussies

actually if u had ever played football u know that the pads really dont do shit to protect u because the other guy has pads too. also, because of the pads, in football you get hit high up in the shoulders and head all the time instead of rugby where most of the tackles are low, wrap-up tackles. in my opinion, the hits in football r far more violent. if u think football is a pussy sport u have no idea what to talk about.

my boy brandon jacobs (#27) would run over any rugby player alive, please go tell him he is a pussy

Last edited by Italia Orientale on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:47 pm

I hear Ferrous Oxide and Colonic Immigration are bitter trolls, confirm/deny?
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Ferrous Oxide
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ferrous Oxide » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:48 pm

Italia Orientale wrote:my boy brandon jacobs (#27) would run over any rugby player alive, please go tell him he is a pussy

Alright, your guy vs Stirling Mortlock.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General