NATION

PASSWORD

2020 US General Election Thread VIII: Cs, Ds, and Es

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How Many Votes Do You Expect to be Early Votes Nationwide?

0-10%
7%
10-20%
17%
20-30%
28%
30-40%
21%
40-50%
15%
50%+
13%

Total votes : 308

Cordel One
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:03 pm

Major-Tom wrote:Great statement from Biden because he's right. Just as I've condemned endlessly the violence perpetrated by thugs on the alt-right, we cannot condone radicals more ideologically aligned with myself committing similar acts of violence.

It's not rocket science for somebody to feel disgusted at either, and I'm glad Biden can take the stance of a unifier, not a divider similar to the current President.

Somewhat related
Also why I don't support Biden
Last edited by Cordel One on Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:04 pm

Cordel One wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:Great statement from Biden because he's right. Just as I've condemned endlessly the violence perpetrated by thugs on the alt-right, we cannot condone radicals more ideologically aligned with myself committing similar acts of violence.

It's not rocket science for somebody to feel disgusted at either, and I'm glad Biden can take the stance of a unifier, not a divider similar to the current President.

Looting is wrong no matter what tho. Its right to condemn lootimg and burning small businesses.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Cordel One
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:05 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
Cordel One wrote:

Looting is wrong no matter what tho. Its right to condemn lootimg and burning small businesses.

Looting small businesses is bad, sure. I still can't say I oppose radical tactics.
Last edited by Cordel One on Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:08 pm

Cordel One wrote:

Small businesses, sure.

I fall in the middle on violence. I think sometimes in life, when someone is fucking with you, you gotta get ugly. At the same time, you shouldn't harm bystanders. The frank matter of fact is that Domello's Italian bistro didn't kill nobody. The police did.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:09 pm

Gravlen wrote:Biden condemns the violence:

The deadly violence we saw overnight in Portland is unacceptable. Shooting in the streets of a great American city is unacceptable. I condemn this violence unequivocally. I condemn violence of every kind by anyone, whether on the left or the right. And I challenge Donald Trump to do the same. It does not matter if you find the political views of your opponents abhorrent, any loss of life is a tragedy. Today there is another family grieving in America, and Jill and I offer our deepest condolences.

We must not become a country at war with ourselves. A country that accepts the killing of fellow Americans who do not agree with you. A country that vows vengeance toward one another. But that is the America that President Trump wants us to be, the America he believes we are.

As a country, we must condemn the incitement of hate and resentment that led to this deadly clash. It is not a peaceful protest when you go out spoiling for a fight. What does President Trump think will happen when he continues to insist on fanning the flames of hate and division in our society and using the politics of fear to whip up his supporters? He is recklessly encouraging violence. He may believe tweeting about law and order makes him strong – but his failure to call on his supporters to stop seeking conflict shows just how weak he is. He may think that war in our streets is good for his reelection chances, but that is not presidential leadership – or even basic human compassion.

The job of a President is to lower the temperature. To bring people who disagree with one another together. To make life better for all Americans, not just those who agree with us, support us, or vote for us.

Donald Trump has been president for almost four years. The temperature in the country is higher, tensions run stronger, divisions run deeper. And all of us are less safe because Donald Trump can’t do the job of the American president.

Good on Biden.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:11 pm

Cordel One wrote:Small businesses, sure.

I fall in the middle on violence. I think sometimes in life, when someone is fucking with you, you gotta get ugly. At the same time, you shouldn't harm bystanders. The frank matter of fact is that Domello's Italian bistro didn't kill nobody. The police did.

I mean, I hear their Penne was to die for.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Cordel One
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:13 pm

Cordel One wrote:Small businesses, sure.

I agree with that, the rioters should leave such places alone. The people looting Target don't bother me though
Last edited by Cordel One on Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:21 pm

Gravlen wrote:Biden condemns the violence:

The deadly violence we saw overnight in Portland is unacceptable. Shooting in the streets of a great American city is unacceptable. I condemn this violence unequivocally. I condemn violence of every kind by anyone, whether on the left or the right. And I challenge Donald Trump to do the same. It does not matter if you find the political views of your opponents abhorrent, any loss of life is a tragedy. Today there is another family grieving in America, and Jill and I offer our deepest condolences.

We must not become a country at war with ourselves. A country that accepts the killing of fellow Americans who do not agree with you. A country that vows vengeance toward one another. But that is the America that President Trump wants us to be, the America he believes we are.

As a country, we must condemn the incitement of hate and resentment that led to this deadly clash. It is not a peaceful protest when you go out spoiling for a fight. What does President Trump think will happen when he continues to insist on fanning the flames of hate and division in our society and using the politics of fear to whip up his supporters? He is recklessly encouraging violence. He may believe tweeting about law and order makes him strong – but his failure to call on his supporters to stop seeking conflict shows just how weak he is. He may think that war in our streets is good for his reelection chances, but that is not presidential leadership – or even basic human compassion.

The job of a President is to lower the temperature. To bring people who disagree with one another together. To make life better for all Americans, not just those who agree with us, support us, or vote for us.

Donald Trump has been president for almost four years. The temperature in the country is higher, tensions run stronger, divisions run deeper. And all of us are less safe because Donald Trump can’t do the job of the American president.

That’s a great statement.

And he’s right - domestically, the president’s most powerful tool, and also hardest to use correctly, is the microphone. Hence why we are where we are.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:21 pm

Cordel One wrote:

Somewhat related

That's a response that doesn't take into account where I stand. I'm saying I don't condone violence in any form, whether it be from alt-right thugs or even from people on my side. And I know there is a lot of fear mongering about ANTIFA and about BLM, and while I am fully supportive of protesting the administration, of protesting the police, I am fully against violence. And in this instance, somebody who I likely would hate was murdered. And even though I hate what he stood for, he didn't deserve to be murdered. Full stop. He just didn't.

And Biden condemning that violence isn't just a smart move overall, it's also a humanistic one. Why should we stoop to the level of flag-waving fascists who openly promote violence? We shouldn't and we simply can't. We're not just better than that, but that's also how we lose.

You're welcome to be a far-left radical, I could give a shit, just don't expect to achieve any major institutional or systemic progress with that message. Because to win, you have to appeal to more than just those who are already radicalized.
Last edited by Major-Tom on Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:26 pm

Steppe Khanate wrote:There seems to be worries that Joe Biden’s poor debating skills will harm him, but it is important to keep in mind that in this polarized election, nearly everyone who will be voting has already made up their mind, and due to the nature of partisan tribalism, will not change their minds no matter what. Sure, the media hysteria and hype around debates my give a false illusion that a candidate is doing better/worse, but be honest, do you really think a debate will change who you are going to vote for if you’ve already decided? Donald Trump did poorly in the 2016 debates, but due to his loyal base, as well as a lack of enthusiasm from Clinton and her supporters, he still won the 2016 election. Debates will not nearly matter as much when the sides are as polarized as they are right now.

This is a fairly foolish take. Polling both nationwide and within states consistently show that roughly 11–14% of voters have not yet decided who to vote for. In many states, including all swing states, an 11-point shift in either direction (or even a 5-point gain for one side and a 6-point gain for the other) will determine who wins the state, and, thus, the presidency.

The debates are for those people.

Not to mention that elections are often decided by turnout even more than by voter choice. If Biden has support of 52% of the population, but only 40% of his supporters vote, Trump, who (eg) has support for 48% of the population and gets 60% of his supporters to vote, will easily win.
Last edited by Cisairse on Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:27 pm

Cordel One wrote:

Somewhat related

who the fuck at the debates is arguing for genocide
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:28 pm

Cordel One wrote:

As if looters make the distinction.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:30 pm

Telconi wrote:
Washington Resistance Army wrote:
It's much too little much too late though. We've been a country at war with ourselves for a long time now.

"War is bad!" says warmonger. :roll:

Ah yes the person who ended the Iraq War and lobbied for six years to end the Afghan War is a warmonger

okay buddy

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:32 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Telconi wrote:

Ah yes the person who ended the Iraq War and lobbied for six years to end the Afghan War is a warmonger

okay buddy

I mean we still have troops in both of those countries and we are arming very questionable "rebel groups" to this very day. To to mention actions taken in Libya, Ukraine, Yemen, and Syria...
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:32 pm

Honestly though if there's as many looters as Trump seems to think there are, why isn't either candidate trying to win them over? Sounds like they're a sizable voter bloc, and if looter turnout is high then they could swing Arizona or Wisconsin.

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:33 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Cisairse wrote:Ah yes the person who ended the Iraq War and lobbied for six years to end the Afghan War is a warmonger

okay buddy

I mean we still have troops in both of those countries and we are arming very questionable "rebel groups" to this very day. To to mention actions taken in Libya, Ukraine, Yemen, and Syria...

The Iraq War did end under Biden's leadership, to claim otherwise is silly. The Afghan War has continued on despite Biden's lobbies against it, not because of them.

As far as I know Biden was not responsible for actions taken in Libya, Yemen, or Syria.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:35 pm

Cisairse wrote:Honestly though if there's as many looters as Trump seems to think there are, why isn't either candidate trying to win them over? Sounds like they're a sizable voter bloc, and if looter turnout is high then they could swing Arizona or Wisconsin.

Are saying that politicians not courting looters as a voting bloc is evidence of looting not existing?

Really? That's the argument you want to go with? It sometimes helps to say these things out loud before typing them.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:36 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Cisairse wrote:Honestly though if there's as many looters as Trump seems to think there are, why isn't either candidate trying to win them over? Sounds like they're a sizable voter bloc, and if looter turnout is high then they could swing Arizona or Wisconsin.

Are saying that politicians not courting looters as a voting bloc is evidence of looting not existing?

Really? That's the argument you want to go with? It sometimes helps to say these things out loud before typing them.

If that was the argument I wanted to go with, I would have typed that out and hit the Submit button

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:36 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Bear Stearns wrote:

The Iraq War did end under Biden's leadership, to claim otherwise is silly.

So why not pull our troops out?

Cisairse wrote:The Afghan War has continued on despite Biden's lobbies against it, not because of them.

This should be news to just about everybody.

Cisairse wrote:As far as I know Biden was not responsible for actions taken in Libya, Yemen, or Syria.

Fair, most of those were Hillary's ideas.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Dominioan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dominioan » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:37 pm

I don’t think they are a group either likes.
Help i'm addicted to pain so I keep coming back to this site
Direct rule from Oklahoma City
Cool person

I've read 1984, so I can confirm this is in fact 1984

BOOMER SOONER
CHOP ON

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:39 pm

Not a fan of neocons in The Lincoln Project but I like this ad.
Last edited by The Reformed American Republic on Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:39 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:
Cisairse wrote:The Iraq War did end under Biden's leadership, to claim otherwise is silly.

So why not pull our troops out?

We literally did in 2011.

We went back in to fight ISIS years later because Obama surrounded himself with actual warmongering cucks, namely John Kerry.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:42 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:Not a fan of neocons in the Lincoln Project but I like this ad.

If there is any group that has no room to throw shit and whine about creeping authoritarianism and disregard for the rule of law...
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:42 pm

Cisairse wrote:
Telconi wrote:

okay buddy

I wasn't aware Biden was running for president of Iraq, or Afghanistan...
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:43 pm

Telconi wrote:
Cisairse wrote:Ah yes the person who ended the Iraq War and lobbied for six years to end the Afghan War is a warmonger

okay buddy

I wasn't aware Biden was running for president of Iraq, or Afghanistan...

wh

what

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General