NATION

PASSWORD

Greece dumps refugees in Ocean tells Turkey Deal with it

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:19 am

Loben III wrote:
Heloin wrote:So you think that something needs to be done to save those people?

Turkish coast guard can fish them out if they are feeling inclined.

Or or, the Greek government can have some basic decency and just drop them off at Turkey instead of just leaving them in the ocean for no other reason than petty spite.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:19 am

Andsed wrote:
Loben III wrote:

Or or, the Greek government can have some basic decency and just drop them off at Turkey instead of just leaving them in the ocean for no other reason than petty spite.

Why, so the Turks drive them into Greek islands again?
Last edited by Nazeroth on Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comically Evil Member of the Anti-Democracy League
Government: Tyrannical Feudal Despotism
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you..."
"The meek will inherit nothing..."
"Behold and despair fools"
"We will sail to a billion worlds...we will sail until every light has been extinguished"

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:20 am

Nazeroth wrote:
Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:
Even if they are illegal immigrants, there are better options, like turning or driving them away at Turkey instead of leaving them to drift away at sea, their fate at the hands of the ocean if they lack an engine.

As humans, these people still have a right to be treated decently, especially if they have done no crime (except for the illegal immigration). One would think they’d be better off at Greece because there they have not much concern about the security of the location, whether or not an air raid is to happen there and if food and water would be easily accessible.

In the very least, at least it exists and is enforced in some form and there are quite a lot of people who would wish for a better implementation of such. Unlike Saudi Arabia, which as mentioned didn’t really have a good track record of implementing such rights.

I don't really give a crap, until nations like Turkey are actually held accountable Greece should handle business as they see fit, "international law" is just a weapon used by third world dictators to slam western nations like Israel and Greece.

in other words: Fuck'em

While I for one agree that the UN is fucking useless, it at leasts sets some form of morality check for how countries are operating. International law is definitely more than just a weapon for nations to hit one another on their heads.

Say, what do you think Turkey is accountable for?
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:21 am

Nazeroth wrote:
Exactly. Is basic human decency to care for others so hard?

"basic human standards" these days often leads to " let thousands of migrants into your nation and if you don't want it your racist"

No. It means ¨not leaving innocents to potentially drown because your either too lazy or spiteful to simply drop them off from where they came from.
Last edited by Andsed on Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:21 am

Nazeroth wrote:
Andsed wrote:Or or, the Greek government can have some basic decency and just drop them off at Turkey instead of just leaving them in the ocean for no other reason than petty spite.

who'll just put them in the water?
this can't end well.
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.
Update: apparently it’s bleating sheep.

Vaspelia
Attaché

Founded: Mar 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Vaspelia » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:21 am

Greed and Death wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/14/world/europe/greece-migrants-abandoning-sea.html

Greece is abandoning 1000 plus migrants at sea. These are migrants that were on dry land in Greece they were taken to international waters and dumped with a life jacket on. I am sorry if this OP is sparse I am just at a loss for words at the moment. Even my most in character antics do not approach dump a thousand people at sea.

What sort of sanctions can we bring to bear against Greece to stop this.

This isn't the first time a European country has done this, i believe. While of course the Greek authorities must stop any clandestine operations, not for the sake of morality, but of institutional transparency. These inmigrants are not of Greece's responsability, they aren't citizens of the country and they are entering illegally. Calling this "genocide" is laughable OP.
“Syrians are suffering in Turkey,” Mr. Fattouh said. “We’re suffering in Greece. Where are we supposed to go?”

Iraq, Jordain, Iran, Lebanon, etc.
Last edited by Vaspelia on Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
La Unión de Vaspelia
hispanic savannan directorate with sino-japanese-inspired cultural and philosophical elements. That's the plan.
this nation is wip and raw as fuck, pls don't look at it yet
but i appreciate TGs, no matter asking about my ideas for vaspelia or just to hang out
no ns stats here brah
The F7-Supremacist Zoomer that the Globalists and Reds warned you about
You may win all debates, but you shall never win happiness
add 1685 posts
you can call me eru baby
in NS since 01/10/2016
listen to this song

Khoronzon
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Khoronzon » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:22 am

Andsed wrote:No. It means ¨not leaving innocents to potentially drown because your either too lazy or spiteful to simply drop them off from where they came from.

It doesn't mean anything, it's a spook.
Vʏʜʜ Xsʜʀ Xsʜʀɪɴ Tʜʀʜ
Leader
Figures
Culture
Regions
Military
World
The world is no longer as it once was, moulded beyond recognition by the hands of its coming masters. Humanity is faced with a simple choice: evolve, or die.

△▽△
[all lore is under reconstruction]
▽△▽
ooc: they/them/girl/boss - notorious wumao - blowfly creature
flag homies: the celestial shurayu republic and uij, checkem out they're v based
all rise for the national anthem

中国共产党万岁

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:22 am

Vaspelia wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/14/world/europe/greece-migrants-abandoning-sea.html

Greece is abandoning 1000 plus migrants at sea. These are migrants that were on dry land in Greece they were taken to international waters and dumped with a life jacket on. I am sorry if this OP is sparse I am just at a loss for words at the moment. Even my most in character antics do not approach dump a thousand people at sea.

What sort of sanctions can we bring to bear against Greece to stop this.

This isn't the first time a European country has done this, i believe. While of course the Greek authorities must stop any clandestine operations, not for the sake of morality, but of institutional transparency. These inmigrants are not of Greece's responsability, they aren't citizens of the country and they are entering illegally.
“Syrians are suffering in Turkey,” Mr. Fattouh said. “We’re suffering in Greece. Where are we supposed to go?”

Iraq, Jordain, Iran, Lebanon, etc.

Their status as illegal immigrants does not mean they are not still human beings who deserve to be treated with some semblance of dignity. Aka not being left to the mercy seas.
Last edited by Andsed on Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:22 am

Nazeroth wrote:
I don't really give a crap, until nations like Turkey are actually held accountable Greece should handle business as they see fit, "international law" is just a weapon used by third world dictators to slam western nations like Israel and Greece.

in other words: Fuck'em

While I for one agree that the UN is fucking useless, it at leasts sets some form of morality check for how countries are operating. International law is definitely more than just a weapon for nations to hit one another on their heads.

Say, what do you think Turkey is accountable for?

The Turks were pushing migrants into Greece, attempting to destroy fences and in general harassing Greece forces trying to protect their borders and assisting illegal migrants in trying to break those barriers.

I think this was only a month or two ago(maybe more)
"We will sail to a billion worlds...we will sail until every light has been extinguished"

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:23 am

Loben III wrote:
Heloin wrote:So you think that something needs to be done to save those people?

So you brought up slave markets just to feel smug then?

Nazeroth wrote:
Andsed wrote:Or or, the Greek government can have some basic decency and just drop them off at Turkey instead of just leaving them in the ocean for no other reason than petty spite.

Your not arguing for a solution if you think people dying is a good solution.

The Marlborough
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Marlborough » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:23 am

Loben III wrote:Greece has no responsibility and turkey is close enough to travel too. Hardly abandonment.

You have to be fucking joking.
How could the Irish potato famine happen if they were surrounded by fish?
Support the Lil Red Dress Project to bring awareness to MMIWG.
Bless our neon cyberpunk future.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:23 am

Nazeroth wrote:

Oh. The migrants see Europe as a better place, some likely see Turkey as the same repressive authoritarian government, just with the fake title of democratic labelled in the description.

Europe has much more opportunities as well, given lower end jobs are usually left for the people on the lower runga of the ladder. It probably gives better pay than many jobs in Syria.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:24 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

who'll just put them in the water?
this can't end well.

oh well? It's sad but this is a bigger issue that just some migrants in the water, Turkey, under Erdogen, is experiencing a sort of Neo-Ottoman revival.

Strala
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strala » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:24 am

Nazeroth wrote:
Exactly. Is basic human decency to care for others so hard?

"basic human standards" these days often leads to " let thousands of migrants into your nation and if you don't want it your racist"

And how are they any different from you? Do you think they would have left their nation if there was no war and illegally migrated to these countries? Most of them won't. If a country you live in suddenly had a civil war no matter how ridiculous that may be, would you want to be stranded in the middle of the sea just because the country didn't want you there? Do you want people to say that you deserved it because you illegally migrated there, despite the fact that you just to go to somewhere safe and stable?

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:25 am

Nazeroth wrote:
Mathuvan Union wrote:who'll just put them in the water?
this can't end well.

oh well? It's sad but this is a bigger issue that just some migrants in the water, Turkey, under Erdogen, is experiencing a sort of Neo-Ottoman revival.

well it shouldn't be the result of their situation being so bad they have to flee to europe.
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:26 am

Strala wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

And how are they any different from you? Do you think they would have left their nation if there was no war and illegally migrated to these countries? Most of them won't. If a country you live in suddenly had a civil war no matter how ridiculous that may be, would you want to be stranded in the middle of the sea just because the country didn't want you there? Do you want people to say that you deserved it because you illegally migrated there, despite the fact that you just to go to somewhere safe and stable?

the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:27 am

Nazeroth wrote:
Mathuvan Union wrote:who'll just put them in the water?
this can't end well.

And how is leaving a bunch of migrants to potentially die going to help that other than spiting the Turks?
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Strala
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Strala » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:27 am

Nazeroth wrote:
Strala wrote:And how are they any different from you? Do you think they would have left their nation if there was no war and illegally migrated to these countries? Most of them won't. If a country you live in suddenly had a civil war no matter how ridiculous that may be, would you want to be stranded in the middle of the sea just because the country didn't want you there? Do you want people to say that you deserved it because you illegally migrated there, despite the fact that you just to go to somewhere safe and stable?

So accepting these people is wrong? And why is it wrong?

Tolopel
Attaché

Founded: Apr 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Tolopel » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:27 am

Why Greece? Why?

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:28 am

Andsed wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

And how is leaving a bunch of migrants to potentially die going to help that other than spiting the Turks?

I'm fine with them dropping them off on Turkish islands, but they certainly don't need to take them in.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:28 am

Nazeroth wrote:
Strala wrote:And how are they any different from you? Do you think they would have left their nation if there was no war and illegally migrated to these countries? Most of them won't. If a country you live in suddenly had a civil war no matter how ridiculous that may be, would you want to be stranded in the middle of the sea just because the country didn't want you there? Do you want people to say that you deserved it because you illegally migrated there, despite the fact that you just to go to somewhere safe and stable?

That doesn't mean the road to heaven is paved bad intentions.

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:28 am

Strala wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

So accepting these people is wrong? And why is it wrong?

Why can't the Turks take them?

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Founded: Feb 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:29 am

A breach of international law is a breach of international law. It is an abhorrent disregard for human rights and people’s lives. I hope Athens reconsiders this decision and saves as many lives as it has threatened.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.
Rate me as Prime Minister

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:29 am

Tolopel wrote:Why Greece? Why?

too much for their infrastructure to handle i presume.
Nazeroth wrote:
Strala wrote:So accepting these people is wrong? And why is it wrong?

Why can't the Turks take them?

why can't we treat them like normal people? that's exactly what they are.

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:29 am

Heloin wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

That doesn't mean the road to heaven is paved bad intentions.

true, but their is a reason almost nobody uses that saying, because it's not relavent.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General