NATION

PASSWORD

Greece dumps refugees in Ocean tells Turkey Deal with it

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Greece dumps refugees in Ocean tells Turkey Deal with it

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:43 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/14/worl ... g-sea.html

Greece is abandoning 1000 plus migrants at sea. These are migrants that were on dry land in Greece they were taken to international waters and dumped with a life jacket on. I am sorry if this OP is sparse I am just at a loss for words at the moment. Even my most in character antics do not approach dump a thousand people at sea.

What sort of sanctions can we bring to bear against Greece to stop this.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:45 am

Greed and Death wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/14/world/europe/greece-migrants-abandoning-sea.html

Greece is abandoning 1000 plus migrants at sea. These are migrants that were on dry land in Greece they were taken to international waters and dumped with a life jacket on. I am sorry if this OP is sparse I am just at a loss for words at the moment. Even my most in character antics do not approach dump a thousand people at sea.

Give them a boot from the EU, and aggressive economic sanctions ought to do the trick.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:57 am

Greece has no responsibility for people trying to illegally enter their territory so far as I can tell. They're on their own in international waters. If the globe gets too hot and there are waves of people moving to colder regions, I can guarantee that Russia or where ever else wouldn't do any better.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Loben III
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben III » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:00 am

Greece has no responsibility and turkey is close enough to travel too. Hardly abandonment.
Abandon your jobs
Abandon your posts
Abandon your homes
Abandon all hope

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:01 am

"genocide" lol ok
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:02 am

Loben III wrote:Greece has no responsibility and turkey is close enough to travel too. Hardly abandonment.

Driving them to Turkey is one thing dumping them at sea and hoping the Turkish coast guard saves them is another.

Greece has a responsibility to not dump them off in the ocean.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Loben III
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben III » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:03 am

Greed and Death wrote:
Loben III wrote:Greece has no responsibility and turkey is close enough to travel too. Hardly abandonment.

Driving them to Turkey is one thing dumping them at sea and hoping the Turkish coast guard saves them is another.

Do they have a responsibility to them at all?
Abandon your jobs
Abandon your posts
Abandon your homes
Abandon all hope

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:03 am

Loben III wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:Driving them to Turkey is one thing dumping them at sea and hoping the Turkish coast guard saves them is another.

no. they're illegal immigrants.
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.
Update: apparently it’s bleating sheep.

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:04 am

Greed and Death wrote:https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/14/world/europe/greece-migrants-abandoning-sea.html

illegal migrants, you should worry about Turkey, how they genocided Greeks and drove them from their lands en mass and now re-converted the hagia sophia into a mosque and throwing refuggees into Greek lands.

bonus points: The EU is a recycled SJW version of the 3rd reich.
Comically Evil Member of the Anti-Democracy League
Government: Tyrannical Feudal Despotism
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you..."
"The meek will inherit nothing..."
"Behold and despair fools"
"We will sail to a billion worlds...we will sail until every light has been extinguished"

Kathol Rift
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kathol Rift » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:05 am

I agree with the OP in that dumping them in the sea and just assuming someone will save them is very, very wrong. That being said, I don’t think genocide is the right term to describe this.
Hot Girls Vote

I drive wee-woo wagon and professionally distribute band-aids. For some ungodly reason they trusted me with drugs and I am using them to hijack my own gender.

As the top of the sig says. Singularity technology and Juggernaut military by The Pacific Standards. We're good now, sort of.

This nation was developed under the influence of metal

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:06 am

Saiwania wrote:Greece has no responsibility for people trying to illegally enter their territory so far as I can tell. They're on their own in international waters. If the globe gets too hot and there are waves of people moving to colder regions, I can guarantee that Russia or where ever else wouldn't do any better.

Article says that this is violation of international law. That is not concerning enough? Leaving them to the same journey that they likely experienced a while back, which many are already aware is rather perilous.

Bear Stearns wrote:"genocide" lol ok

Yeah, I agree. While what Greece has done is a gross violation of the rights of the migrants as humans to safe shelter, genocide doesn’t cover the term.

OP, I suggest you change the title of the thread.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:08 am

Pilipinas and Malaya wrote:
Saiwania wrote:Greece has no responsibility for people trying to illegally enter their territory so far as I can tell. They're on their own in international waters. If the globe gets too hot and there are waves of people moving to colder regions, I can guarantee that Russia or where ever else wouldn't do any better.

Article says that this is violation of international law. That is not concerning enough? Leaving them to the same journey that they likely experienced a while back, which many are already aware is rather perilous.

Bear Stearns wrote:"genocide" lol ok

Yeah, I agree. While what Greece has done is a gross violation of the rights of the migrants as humans to safe shelter, genocide doesn’t cover the term.

"international law" is a hilariously bad joke, like when the Saudi's were on the human rights panel.
"We will sail to a billion worlds...we will sail until every light has been extinguished"

Loben III
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben III » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:09 am

Nazeroth wrote:

"international law" is a hilariously bad joke, like when the Saudi's were on the human rights panel.

Or open air slave markets in Libya.
Abandon your jobs
Abandon your posts
Abandon your homes
Abandon all hope

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:09 am

Loben III wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:

yup

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:12 am

The speed in which people can defend letting other people drown is horrific.

There are no international waters in the Mediterranean.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:13 am

Nazeroth wrote:
Loben III wrote:

yup

So you think that something needs to be done to save those people?

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:14 am

Nazeroth wrote:"international law" is a hilariously bad joke, like when the Saudi's were on the human rights panel.

It is obviously in error from my perspective, if the majority of countries don't observe it when given the same circumstances. Who or what enforces it? If its not enforced it is meaningless and is effectively just a legalese holdover that hasn't yet been revised or shelved to better reflect the realities of today's era. It is Cold War era crap that assumes that people fleeing for political reasons should be given safe passage or whatever else when it isn't practical now.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:15 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:
Loben III wrote:

no. they're illegal immigrants.

Even if they are illegal immigrants, there are better options, like turning or driving them away at Turkey instead of leaving them to drift away at sea, their fate at the hands of the ocean if they lack an engine.

As humans, these people still have a right to be treated decently, especially if they have done no crime (except for the illegal immigration). One would think they’d be better off at Greece because there they have not much concern about the security of the location, whether or not an air raid is to happen there and if food and water would be easily accessible.

Nazeroth wrote:

In the very least, at least it exists and is enforced in some form and there are quite a lot of people who would wish for a better implementation of such. Unlike Saudi Arabia, which as mentioned didn’t really have a good track record of implementing such rights.
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:15 am

I don´t think that genocide is the right term, but this is fucked up. Transport them back to Turkey by all means, but dropping them off in the ocean like that? Just fucking no.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Loben III
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Loben III » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:16 am

Heloin wrote:
Nazeroth wrote:
yup

So you think that something needs to be done to save those people?

Turkish coast guard can fish them out if they are feeling inclined.
Abandon your jobs
Abandon your posts
Abandon your homes
Abandon all hope

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:16 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:no. they're illegal immigrants.

Even if they are illegal immigrants, there are better options, like turning or driving them away at Turkey instead of leaving them to drift away at sea, their fate at the hands of the ocean if they lack an engine.

As humans, these people still have a right to be treated decently, especially if they have done no crime (except for the illegal immigration). One would think they’d be better off at Greece because there they have not much concern about the security of the location, whether or not an air raid is to happen there and if food and water would be easily accessible.

Nazeroth wrote:

In the very least, at least it exists and is enforced in some form and there are quite a lot of people who would wish for a better implementation of such. Unlike Saudi Arabia, which as mentioned didn’t really have a good track record of implementing such rights.

I want to be a scumbag and say they should'nt have come there in the first place, but they have been given life jackets. meaning that they're not immediately drowning and therefore it's not genocide. there are alternatives, this certainly isn't genocide.
Behind the free market lies the iron fist of the state - the one thing I learned from The Blaatschapen, excluding how to say sheep in dutch.

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:17 am

Mathuvan Union wrote:no. they're illegal immigrants.

Nazeroth wrote:

I don't really give a crap, until nations like Turkey are actually held accountable Greece should handle business as they see fit, "international law" is just a weapon used by third world dictators to slam western nations like Israel and Greece.

in other words: Fuck'em

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:17 am

Heloin wrote:The speed in which people can defend letting other people drown is horrific.

Exactly. Is basic human decency to care for others so hard?
Member of Europe

NS Stats invalid

Mathuvan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Mathuvan Union » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:18 am

Loben III wrote:
Heloin wrote:So you think that something needs to be done to save those people?

Turkish coast guard can fish them out if they are feeling inclined.

but they won't. the medittaranean is a large place, therefore if they tried to find them, it would be hard. the sea is inky black, there's no signals of sorts.
what would the turks do with them anyway? force them back to where they came from?

Nazeroth
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nazeroth » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:18 am

Heloin wrote:The speed in which people can defend letting other people drown is horrific.

Exactly. Is basic human decency to care for others so hard?

"basic human standards" these days often leads to " let thousands of migrants into your nation and if you don't want it your racist"

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General