NATION

PASSWORD

8 year old arrested for battery for punching a teacher

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:33 am

Purpelia wrote:
Ors Might wrote:Laying your hands on a child for merely not going where you tell them to indicates an utter inability to command authority and competently handle difficult situations. I’m no parent but if I had a child, I would much prefer that they retaliate against adults thinking they can manhandle my kid whenever they want rather than my child simply going along with whatever adult decides to grab them.

I am not sure what world you live in where teachers have any sort of authority. They are at best laughed at behind their back. At best.
You have to give people the tools they need to do their job with the skills they do have, not the ones most humans don't.

"Laughed at behind their back" doesn't preclude authority. In fact, it kind of necessitates it, because why do it "behind their back" if you aren't afraid of consequences?
Anyway, there's plenty of teachers who do have respect from students, so what world do YOU live in?
oh, right, the one where self-defense isn't valid because you don't want to even think about why things happen
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:36 am

Katganistan wrote:
The Emerald Legion wrote:So you use force. First to remove the student from the group in order to have your talk. Then if they violate your request, you have to physically detain them.

Nope. No matter how much you might wish to hear that kids are dragged out physically, it's not necessary.

Most kids don't want to go to school. Troubled kids of the kind I'm talking about even less so.

However the general principles are still true and I've observed them in action. Fail to enforce punishments physically and they will just ignore them.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

State of Turelisa
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby State of Turelisa » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:41 am

Necroghastia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:I am not sure what world you live in where teachers have any sort of authority. They are at best laughed at behind their back. At best.
You have to give people the tools they need to do their job with the skills they do have, not the ones most humans don't.

"Laughed at behind their back" doesn't preclude authority. In fact, it kind of necessitates it, because why do it "behind their back" if you aren't afraid of consequences?
Anyway, there's plenty of teachers who do have respect from students, so what world do YOU live in?
oh, right, the one where self-defense isn't valid because you don't want to even think about why things happen

I've seen teachers derided with mocking laughter, sworn at, struck, and generally treated with contempt. That's because we put people who not only can't be educated but don't want to be educated into learning environments where we expect them to learn, and we do it in the name of egalitarianism. The teacher is bound to be the focus of their truculent resistance.
Last edited by State of Turelisa on Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:48 am

Purpelia wrote:
Ors Might wrote:Laying your hands on a child for merely not going where you tell them to indicates an utter inability to command authority and competently handle difficult situations. I’m no parent but if I had a child, I would much prefer that they retaliate against adults thinking they can manhandle my kid whenever they want rather than my child simply going along with whatever adult decides to grab them.

I am not sure what world you live in where teachers have any sort of authority. They are at best laughed at behind their back. At best.

I live in a world where the authority of my teachers was respected enough to when they threatened to call the office and our parents if we kept acting like shitheads, we knew they weren’t fucking around. What world do you live in where teachers are so incompetent and undisciplined that they can’t handle a special needs kid without grabbing them?
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:16 pm

Ors Might wrote:
Purpelia wrote:I am not sure what world you live in where teachers have any sort of authority. They are at best laughed at behind their back. At best.

I live in a world where the authority of my teachers was respected enough to when they threatened to call the office and our parents if we kept acting like shitheads, we knew they weren’t fucking around. What world do you live in where teachers are so incompetent and undisciplined that they can’t handle a special needs kid without grabbing them?

A poor area where kids don't give a shit what the office or their parents think?
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dazchan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:19 pm

Purpelia wrote:

I’m a teacher. I’ve been teaching for 14 years. I was a volunteer teachers aide, student teacher and volunteer youth worker prior to that. I have never once, in the course of any of those roles, needed to use physical force to maintain control and discipline with the children I’ve been working with.
You’re literally calling for us to have a tool that we don’t want or need, claiming that it will help us do our job, despite evidence that it will have the opposite effect. I’m not the first teacher in this thread to tell you that. This is a good example of the major problem in education today - teachers are ignored in favour of armchair experts.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Ghost Land
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Ghost Land » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:25 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Ghost Land wrote:Teachers have a duty toward all of their students, and part of that duty is creating a classroom culture the students like being in. I don't consider administering discipline to be "coddling". If a student is being disruptive, and it's not something simple like "get your math book out" or "quit talking" that can be dealt with publicly with one sentence, the teacher should pull the offending student aside, into a back closet or the hallway, and give an explanation. For example, "Your continued talking while I'm trying to teach is disruptive both to me and to your classmates. Nobody else can focus when you're constantly blurting out and trying to converse with your neighbours. If you would like to say something related to the topic at hand, raise your hand and I'll call on you; otherwise, it can wait until later. If I continue hearing your voice when your mouth isn't supposed to be running, you'll have to stay behind with me in detention for 30 minutes after school." If little Joey continues running his mouth while class is supposed to be going on, he gets the detention, no questions asked.

And how exactly does that fix the immediate problem of the class being disrupted?

To be honest, when it comes to bullies and other disruptive children I would have no problem with just removing them from education altogether. Everyone deserves a chance and they had theirs.

How does telling him to stop talking in my example fix the problem, that is? Well, how would whacking or arresting him fix the problem?

To address your second sentence, I was an immature little s**t when I was in elementary school; most of us were at some point or another, and I know I wouldn't have wanted to be expelled just for throwing tantrums a lot. For some kids, social cues don't come as naturally as to others, so they might not even know they're being disruptive or hurting others' feelings.

Collective punishment is really almost never effective, especially considering that most young children think mostly about themselves due to their developmental status. If Brian, Timmy, and Joey are causing a ruckus in the back of the room, and I'm up at the front minding my own business and I too get punished and forced to sit there with my head down for what would have been my recess, darn right I'd be ticked. Brian, Timmy, and Joey can sit there and watch the teacher grade papers, but the other 23 of us deserve to be able to run around and play because we didn't do anything wrong. Being made to feel bad about the wrongdoings of OTHER PEOPLE is a good way to breed resentment.

Well i for one do not think that it is a good idea to encourage child vigilantism.

How are you getting that from what I said? :blink:
Last edited by Ghost Land on Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forum account/puppet of 60s Music.
Originally joined 24 April 2012.
All lives matter. Race, age, and gender are unimportant.
Me OOC
Awesome/Funny Quotes
Right-wing libertarian
This nation reflects the OPPOSITE of my views.
Pro: Donald Trump, tougher border laws, 1st/2nd Amendments, benevolent dictators, libertarianism, capitalism
Anti: Democratic Party, The Clintons, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, abortion, gun control, #MeToo, communism, racism and racial nationalism, affirmative action, SJWs

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:45 pm

Ghost Land wrote:How does telling him to stop talking in my example fix the problem, that is? Well, how would whacking or arresting him fix the problem?

If the problem maker is physically removed from the other children he can no longer bother them.

To address your second sentence, I was an immature little s**t when I was in elementary school; most of us were at some point or another, and I know I wouldn't have wanted to be expelled just for throwing tantrums a lot. For some kids, social cues don't come as naturally as to others, so they might not even know they're being disruptive or hurting others' feelings.

The one and only social clue that they need to figure out as far as I am concerned is how to sit down, shut up and do as they are told. If they can't figure that one out than they will newer succeed in life anyway.

Collective punishment works because it makes all the others in the collective collectively pissed at the guy that's guilty to the point where they than bully him into line.

Necroghastia wrote:"Laughed at behind their back" doesn't preclude authority. In fact, it kind of necessitates it, because why do it "behind their back" if you aren't afraid of consequences?

Fear does not equal authority. The two might produce similar looking results on the surface but where as one breeds education and good training the other breeds temporary obedience and resentment which leads to rebellion.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:51 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Anybody who needs to rely on physical force to enforce discipline is fucking shit at enforcing discipline.

Please explain how you can enforce discipline with no physical force?

By raw force of personality and applying rules consistently, mostly. There are other methods, but that one works pretty well.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:51 pm

North American Imperial State wrote:It's fucking easy
No you do not physically detain them, fuck lets send all the kids to jail for misbehaving instead.

So, without physically detaining them, how do you keep the child in detention when they can just walk away?

You apply further consequences, according to your behaviour policy.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:52 pm

North American Imperial State wrote:No they wont just walk out, and if they do up the punishment, if you need to resort to violence then your problem not them.
(Or just handcuff 4 year olds to the table when they dont listen.)

Except they will. I've literally observed this in practice. And up the punishment how? You can't punish them to begin with.

"Get in this corner because I say so!"

"No."

"Get in the corner right now or you will have to stay in it for 10 minutes instead of 5!"

"Or I could just not listen and spend 0."

Then you keep escalating up to "you're expelled, now you're not our problem".
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:53 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Ors Might wrote:Completely correct. But what people are objecting to is the needless application of force, particularly in cases where it only makes the situation worse. Needless use of physical force, ironically in this case, demonstrates a lack of self-discipline and reflects badly upon the authority allowing it.

No they are not. People are quite literally saying that just grabbing the child is assault and battery and that therefore it had the "right" to strike back. And than they further go on to equate grabbing it to beating it.

If I run up and grab you and you hit me to get me off, no court will convict you, and a fair few will convict me.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:54 pm

Purpelia wrote:

This is simply untrue. Kindly stop talking about things that you clearly know nothing about.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:55 pm

Ors Might wrote:I live in a world where the authority of my teachers was respected enough to when they threatened to call the office and our parents if we kept acting like shitheads, we knew they weren’t fucking around. What world do you live in where teachers are so incompetent and undisciplined that they can’t handle a special needs kid without grabbing them?

A poor area where kids don't give a shit what the office or their parents think?

Schools all over the world deal with such children without resorting to physical force all the time. It's really not that hard to outsmart them.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:20 pm

North American Imperial State wrote:No they wont just walk out, and if they do up the punishment, if you need to resort to violence then your problem not them.
(Or just handcuff 4 year olds to the table when they dont listen.)

Except they will. I've literally observed this in practice. And up the punishment how? You can't punish them to begin with.

"No."

"Get in the corner right now or you will have to stay in it for 10 minutes instead of 5!"

And your solution is what? Beating on kids?
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:22 pm

By the way, the people talking about "what if the kid doesn't listen to verbal commands" do know that at a certain age there's a potential for the kid to physically harm the teacher right? Everyone keeps using the inner city as an example of students who won't listen to commands but i think the video of a Detroit highschooler body slamming a security guard proves that physical force won't work as well as you expect.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:31 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Ghost Land wrote:How does telling him to stop talking in my example fix the problem, that is? Well, how would whacking or arresting him fix the problem?

If the problem maker is physically removed from the other children he can no longer bother them.

Where is the evidence that the child in this incident was bothering other students? As has been pointed out, this was during lunch and the substitute was fussing over how he was sitting.

The one and only social clue that they need to figure out as far as I am concerned is how to sit down, shut up and do as they are told. If they can't figure that one out than they will newer succeed in life anyway.

They shouldn't learn empathy? Regard for others? The fuck?
Blind submission to authority with no regard for if it is right or wrong will tooootally bring success though. No way it'll just make a mindless drone.

Collective punishment works because it makes all the others in the collective collectively pissed at the guy that's guilty to the point where they than bully him into line.

In my experience, it only caused ill will towards the one who decided that everyone should be punished for what one person did, because that's not fair.
And I can already see the argument that "LiFe'S nOt FaIr" coming, to which I say: So what? Doesn't mean we can't do our best to make things fair.
Necroghastia wrote:"Laughed at behind their back" doesn't preclude authority. In fact, it kind of necessitates it, because why do it "behind their back" if you aren't afraid of consequences?

Fear does not equal authority. The two might produce similar looking results on the surface but where as one breeds education and good training the other breeds temporary obedience and resentment which leads to rebellion.

And what you are advocating for is fear. Not authority derived from respect and good reasoning, but punishing people with no regard for circumstances or their own well-being. Plain and simple classic fear tactics. Disgusting.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Celestiam
Secretary

Founded: Dec 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Celestiam » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:38 pm

It is fascinating to hear people argue that 8 year olds should face criminal liability, have the state of mind of an adult, and should be punished as such.

These very same people usually oppose the lowering of the voting age, or the lowering of the drinking age, and aren't so quick to claim children have any capacity to be responsible when the question shifts from restricting freedoms to awarding them.

Go figure.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Salandriagado wrote:

"No."

To which they say "No." Again. And as you cannot physically prevent them from doing so, they return to school.

Expulsion has no weight without the ability to physically enforce it.

North American Imperial State
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 05, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby North American Imperial State » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:34 pm

Salandriagado wrote:

To which they say "No." Again. And as you cannot physically prevent them from doing so, they return to school.

What is it with you obsession with physical discipline.
We don't need to use it.
i sometimes post on the forums, sometimes i don't, you will never know

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:58 pm

North American Imperial State wrote:

What is it with you obsession with physical discipline.
We don't need to use it.

What is your obsession with insisting any form of physical assertion of control is abuse?

Ors Might
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 01, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ors Might » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:02 pm

I would like to add that simply removing someone from the premises who doesn’t have the right to be there isn’t quite the same thing as disciplining a student with special needs.
https://youtu.be/gvjOG5gboFU Best diss track of all time

North American Imperial State
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 05, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby North American Imperial State » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:18 pm

North American Imperial State wrote:What is it with you obsession with physical discipline.
We don't need to use it.

What is your obsession with insisting any form of physical assertion of control is abuse?

You do not need to use any type of physical assertion on any child, including slapping on hangcuffs.
i sometimes post on the forums, sometimes i don't, you will never know

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:26 pm

North American Imperial State wrote:

You do not need to use any type of physical assertion on any child, including slapping on hangcuffs.

You're simply incorrect.

Ghost Land
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Ghost Land » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:29 pm

Purpelia wrote:

That can also be accomplished by sending the problematic child out in the hallway or to the principal's office for the time being.

That is literally vigilante-justice-style bullying, and that's another reason AGAINST collective punishment. Do you want kids to be, as you even admit, "bullying" each other for any reason?
Forum account/puppet of 60s Music.
Originally joined 24 April 2012.
All lives matter. Race, age, and gender are unimportant.
Me OOC
Awesome/Funny Quotes
Right-wing libertarian
This nation reflects the OPPOSITE of my views.
Pro: Donald Trump, tougher border laws, 1st/2nd Amendments, benevolent dictators, libertarianism, capitalism
Anti: Democratic Party, The Clintons, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, abortion, gun control, #MeToo, communism, racism and racial nationalism, affirmative action, SJWs

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General