NATION

PASSWORD

The tragedy of US President Lyndon Baines Johnson

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you think of LBJ?

1: He was one of the best
12%
2: He's above average
32%
3: Mediocre to below average
31%
4: One of the worst
19%
5: Never heard of him
6%

Total votes : 108

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:07 am

I think his terrible foreign policy kind of overshadowed his domestic policy achievements, which is a bit dissapointing to say the least.

Although I'm not sure I can forgive sending thousands of young Americans to their deaths because of an unwinnable war in a tiny country on the other side of the world.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:09 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
Sundiata wrote:Unfairly, as our intervention in Vietnam was entirely necessary considering the global threat often posed by communist factions.

No it was not necessary. Communism was not gonna take over here because it takes over a country in the global south, and btw, we kinda helped the communists win hearts and minds there with this shit: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-23427726

Turns out the United States was a force for evil in Vietnam. Not the heroic bullshit you often see some claim it was, but is it ever?

The elder Bush's intervention in Kuwait/Iraq seemed right to me. Not heroic: heroism would be risking one's life (or one's army) for a good cause, which slaughtering conscripts who might as well be unarmed for how their weapons stacked up against the US military ... isn't. But degrading Saddam's elite units was a good move, Bush didn't take the opportunity to completely invade, and the border went back where it used to be. About as close as we'll get to a "just war" imo.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:22 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
No it was not necessary. Communism was not gonna take over here because it takes over a country in the global south, and btw, we kinda helped the communists win hearts and minds there with this shit: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-23427726

Turns out the United States was a force for evil in Vietnam. Not the heroic bullshit you often see some claim it was, but is it ever?

The elder Bush's intervention in Kuwait/Iraq seemed right to me. Not heroic: heroism would be risking one's life (or one's army) for a good cause, which slaughtering conscripts who might as well be unarmed for how their weapons stacked up against the US military ... isn't. But degrading Saddam's elite units was a good move, Bush didn't take the opportunity to completely invade, and the border went back where it used to be. About as close as we'll get to a "just war" imo.

Yeah there's that. But for most wars between any countries (not just America), heroism is a foreign word, and most wars are not glorious fights for freedom.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:54 am

'Ugh, johnson was a piece of shit. The only reason Kennedy picked johnson was to carry Texas.
Such a shame the assassin on November 22, 1963, at 12:30 p.m picked the wrong guy that day.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:03 am

Grinning Dragon wrote:'Ugh, johnson was a piece of shit. The only reason Kennedy picked johnson was to carry Texas.
Such a shame the assassin on November 22, 1963, at 12:30 p.m ...

I'm pretty sure you can't call for someone's death. Even if they're long dead.

Christian Confederation
Senator

Founded: Dec 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Confederation » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:08 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Dessert Storm didn't go all the way to Baghdad because the UN only Sanctioned the Liberation of Kuwait. Plus the Alliance with the other Arab states was shakey as it was, Invading and Overthrowing Saddam would have made the alliance fail apart and the middle east would have been a bigger quagmire than it already is.
Founder of the moderate alliance
Open to new members, and embassy's.
My telagram box is always open for productive conversation.
IRL political views center right/ right.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:12 am

Asardia wrote:Is he one of America's most unknown presidents?

On November 22, 1963, Lyndon Baines Johnson (commonly called LBJ) was inaugurated after JFK's assassination. His presidency was the time of massive change in American society. Civil rights, health care, poverty, and perhaps the most infamous of all, Vietnam. It is my belief that one of the America's best, and arguably one of the worst presidents, is forgotten to the public. LBJ ran the nation after the last president to be assassinated, and the first to resign. In the chaos of post 1963, it's easy to forget this man, but I believe his legacy is too important for that.

Lyndon Johnson strongly believed in the Great Society, a grand plan for the massive transformation and improvement in the lives of the average American. His accomplishments in this field is astounding to me. But then Vietnam happened. He plunged the nation into a brutal war of attrition in a far away land most people never even knew existed. And this is my point right here: The Vietnam War overshadowed LBJ's presidency. Whatever he did on the legislative front was always overshadowed by Vietnam, and the Civil Rights Movement as a whole.

Here's a list of the significant legislation passed during his tenure:
1963: Clean Air Act of 1963
1963: Higher Education Facilities Act of 1963
1963: Vocational Education Act of 1963
1964: Civil Rights Act of 1964
1964: Urban Mass Transportation Act of 1964
1964: Wilderness Act
1964: Nurse Training Act of 1964[292]
1964: Food Stamp Act of 1964
1964: Economic Opportunity Act

1964: Housing Act of 1964
1965: Higher Education Act of 1965
1965: Older Americans Act
1965: Coinage Act of 1965
1965: Social Security Act of 1965
1965: Voting Rights Act of 1965
1965: Immigration and Nationality Services Act of 1965

1966: Animal Welfare Act of 1966
1966: Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
1967: Age Discrimination in Employment Act
1967: Public Broadcasting Act of 1967
1968: Architectural Barriers Act of 1968
1968: Bilingual Education Act
1968: Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Fair Housing Act)
1968: Gun Control Act of 1968

Among the most important are all the Civil Rights laws plus the Food Stamp Act, 1965 Immigration Reform Act (which overturned decades of racist immigration policies) and the Freedom of Information Act.

On the other front, he quickly expanded operations in Vietnam, leading to 543,000 American troops fighting in Vietnam in 1968. Then you have the cultural phenomenons of the 1960s: The counter-culture movement/hippies, increase in drug usage, and (what at the time) was called the "ghetto riots". All of these presented so many challenges to a conservative society. Hippies and drug users aimed for a more liberal society, while the disastrous series of riots in the 60s destroyed many black and impoverished areas. LBJ appointed a commission in a period known as the Long, Hot summer of 1967, to address the core issues of the riots. 1967's summer months saw 157 riots alone. You had the Watts Riots in 65Police and National Guardsmen were beating people in the streets. Chicago had a horrible case of this in August 1968, when the police started beating peaceful Vietnam War protesters.

With the information I presented here, I must ask: Is LBJ an underrated/overrated president? Am I wrong in saying he's forgotten?

Personally, I think LBJ definitely was in the shadow of Kennedy and Nixon. And perhaps the worst tragedy of all is that Nixon started the War on Drugs, which, from my limited sources, LBJ was opposed to. We can see just how bad this impacted communities across the country

One of the tragedies of LBJ is that JFK gets the get credit for much of the civil rights agenda. I mourn Kennedy's death but he could have never pushed the civil rights movement through.

LBJ expanded social systems (great society), ran the moon program, and went to war in Vietnam. How did he pay for all of that ? He created the unified budget and robbed from social security which created the problem we have today with the trust fund.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:20 am

Christian Confederation wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Dessert Storm didn't go all the way to Baghdad because the UN only Sanctioned the Liberation of Kuwait. Plus the Alliance with the other Arab states was shakey as it was, Invading and Overthrowing Saddam would have made the alliance fail apart and the middle east would have been a bigger quagmire than it already is.

Sure. Not doing that was a good thing. The next Iraq war was done without a UN mandate, showing that if he'd chosen to the elder Bush could have pushed on regardless. If the UN was a factor in Bush's decision, then good, that speaks well of him too.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:40 am

Sundiata wrote:
Telconi wrote:He's not forgotten, he just sucked.

He was a fine President, any man would stumble in the face of the enormous responsibilities that he had. It's not an easy thing to actively oppose racism domestically and totalitarianism abroad.

Pfft. Johnson was a racist. To johnson the Civil rights act was "that nigger bill" designed to keep those people voting democratic for the next 100 years.

What people love to forget is Nixon testified in favor of the Civil rights act before congress.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:22 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Sundiata wrote:He was a fine President, any man would stumble in the face of the enormous responsibilities that he had. It's not an easy thing to actively oppose racism domestically and totalitarianism abroad.

Pfft. Johnson was a racist. To johnson the Civil rights act was "that nigger bill" designed to keep those people voting democratic for the next 100 years.

What people love to forget is Nixon testified in favor of the Civil rights act before congress.

Always funny when that supposed quote of LBJ's is brought up. Like, what exactly is the 'gotcha' supposed to be?

"Oh, that devious Johnson, he tricked blacks into voting Democrat just by...signing into law the most sweeping civil and voting rights legislation in the history of the nation."

Can't believe those black voters were gullible enough to fall for it! :roll:

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:29 am

Myrensis wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Pfft. Johnson was a racist. To johnson the Civil rights act was "that nigger bill" designed to keep those people voting democratic for the next 100 years.

Always funny when that supposed quote of LBJ's is brought up. Like, what exactly is the 'gotcha' supposed to be?

"Oh, that devious Johnson, he tricked blacks into voting Democrat just by...signing into law the most sweeping civil and voting rights legislation in the history of the nation."

Supposed my ass.

The gotcha was johnson wasnt a good guy, he was a racist and his support of the bill was a cold political calculation.

It is also pleasing to note the only real opposition to the bill was from democrats. That paragon of freedom democrat robert Byrd tried to filibuster the bull to death. It was the Republicans that clotured byrd, and got the civil rights act passed.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:34 am

Myrensis wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Pfft. Johnson was a racist. To johnson the Civil rights act was "that nigger bill" designed to keep those people voting democratic for the next 100 years.

I believe the gotcha was being a pragmatic bigot.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:39 am

Ethel mermania wrote:Supposed my ass.

The gotcha was johnson wasnt a good guy, he was a racist and his support of the bill was a cold political calculation.

It is also pleasing to note the only real opposition to the bill was from democrats. That paragon of freedom democrat robert Byrd tried to filibuster the bull to death. It was the Republicans that clotured byrd, and got the civil rights act passed.

If cold political calculation can get things done quickly, I would take him any day. Have you ever researched Pragmatism? Yes, Johnson was a racist but on the other hand, he passed the most sweeping civil rights act in US history. Quite a feat.

Also it's pleasing to note that the political landscape has changed over the past decades. Strom Thurmond, another racist, defected to the Republican party and now we have Trump, another raging racist. Not sure what you are trying to score here. :roll:
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Myrensis
Negotiator

Postby Myrensis » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:41 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Myrensis wrote:

Supposed my ass.

It's also pleasing to note that Republicans entire feeble claim to the CRA rests on being a minority in both chambers and effectively non-existent in the South. More Northern Democrats voted in favor than Republicans, and every single Southern Republican voted against...all 11 of them.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:42 am

Picairn wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Supposed my ass.

If cold political calculation can get things done quickly, I would take him any day. Have you ever researched Pragmatism? Yes, Johnson was a racist but on the other hand, he passed the most sweeping civil rights act in US history. Quite a feat.

Also it's pleasing to note that the political landscape has changed over the past decades. Strom Thurmond, another racist, defected to the Republican party and now we have Trump, another raging racist. Not sure what you are trying to score here. :roll:

The thread is about johnson, not trump.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2016

Postby Dresderstan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:45 am

I think he was in some way responsible for Kennedy's assassination, plus he got us entangled in Vietnam, which was a shit decision that plagued his presidency and still does to this day.

Myrensis
Negotiator

Postby Myrensis » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:46 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Picairn wrote:If cold political calculation can get things done quickly, I would take him any day. Have you ever researched Pragmatism? Yes, Johnson was a racist but on the other hand, he passed the most sweeping civil rights act in US history. Quite a feat.

The thread is about johnson, not trump.

It''s actually relevant, since we're talking about Johnson quotes and political calculation, he also articulated what would become the core of Republican strategy up until the present day that lead to the rise of Trump:

LBJ wrote:"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:46 am

Ethel mermania wrote:The thread is about johnson, not trump.

You brought up Byrd, I brought up Thurmond and Trump :)

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:50 am

Picairn wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:The thread is about johnson, not trump.

You brought up Byrd, I brought up Thurmond and Trump :)

Byrd is relevant to the civil rights act of 1964, Trump isn't. :)

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:55 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Picairn wrote:You brought up Byrd, I brought up Thurmond and Trump :)

Byrd is relevant to the civil rights act of 1964, Trump isn't. :)

Ok, then Thurmond. :)

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:05 am

Picairn wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Byrd is relevant to the civil rights act of 1964, Trump isn't. :)

Thats fair.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:20 am

Dresderstan wrote:I think he was in some way responsible for Kennedy's assassination, plus he got us entangled in Vietnam, which was a shit decision that plagued his presidency and still does to this day.

Johnson got the US much more heavily into Vietnam, but Kennedy started it.

"in some way responsible for Kennedy's assassination" ... why make up your own conspiracy theory, when somewhere on the net someone has put thousands of hours into crafting one for you? I mean, the guy who stood to get Kennedy's job would be suspect number one, right?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:31 am

Picairn wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Byrd is relevant to the civil rights act of 1964, Trump isn't. :)

Thurmond opposed the civil rights act of '64 as a Democrat.

When switching to the Republican party Thurmond was required to drop Overt racism by the GOP. Thurmond then opposed the voting rights act on the grounds of states rights rather than overt racism.
Barack Obama

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:45 am

Greed and Death wrote:Thurmond opposed the civil rights act of '64 as a Democrat.

When switching to the Republican party Thurmond was required to drop Overt racism by the GOP. Thurmond then opposed the voting rights act on the grounds of states rights rather than overt racism.

States' rights to disenfranchise black people from exercising their constitutional rights to vote?

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:22 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Dresderstan wrote:I think he was in some way responsible for Kennedy's assassination, plus he got us entangled in Vietnam, which was a shit decision that plagued his presidency and still does to this day.

Johnson got the US much more heavily into Vietnam, but Kennedy started it.

"in some way responsible for Kennedy's assassination" ... why make up your own conspiracy theory, when somewhere on the net someone has put thousands of hours into crafting one for you? I mean, the guy who stood to get Kennedy's job would be suspect number one, right?

Truman started American post war involvement in vietnam, and if we really want to go back we can blame Wilson in 1919.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General