NATION

PASSWORD

Possible Revolution in Belarus after Rigged election

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:38 pm

Vostochnaya Appalachiya wrote:Many American people are just psychotic, slavophobic monsters. They have no qualms about supporting actions that result in some other man's sons getting killed. War is just a distant blood sport for them. They can say all kinds of insane things while somebody else is doing all the dying, and not lose one minute of sleep over it.

Easy on that hateful generalization, pal.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:43 pm

Vostochnaya Appalachiya wrote:Many American people are just psychotic, slavophobic monsters. They have no qualms about supporting actions that result in some other man's sons getting killed. War is just a distant blood sport for them. They can say all kinds of insane things while somebody else is doing all the dying, and not lose one minute of sleep over it.

I'd love to be able to remind them all that George Washington & Co didn't give a good God damn what happened on some other continent on the other side of the ocean.

Hahahahaha.

And I could make a sweeping generalization about Slavic people, but I am a mature adult.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL RND 1: COL 4 - 1 WPG | VGK 2 - 3 DAL | RND 2: NYR 0 - 0 CAR
NCAA MBB: Tulane 24-20 | LSU 28-17 || NCAA WSB: LSU 36-13

Vostochnaya Appalachiya
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 13, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Vostochnaya Appalachiya » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:51 pm

Picairn wrote:

What generalization? I made a 100% correct statement.

As an American who has fought overseas for these psychotic civilians, I reserve the mandate to criticise them.

People in this country will cheer as we bomb Baghdad, in a country that did absolutely nothing to warrant an American attack, and sing and dance as we kill children in a country that was no threat to us. They will DEMAND war, DEMAND blood, in Iran, in Syria, in Ukraine, in places they hadn't even heard of before, places they can't locate on a map, nations they know absolutely nothing about, nations that have NEVER attacked America, all on behalf of the ones that HAVE (Saudi Arabia, Turkey, etc).

This is *psychotic behavior.*
Family, Folk & Nation. Economic pragmatist. Sustainability > Liberty. Democracy is kakistocracy. Rights don't exist. Empires are stupid.
Prospective Christian, currently in litigation with God. My Russian sucks, my Spanish is a bit better.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:57 pm

Vostochnaya Appalachiya wrote:What generalization? I made a 100% correct statement.

[CITATION NEEDED] for that.

As an American who has fought overseas for these psychotic civilians, I reserve the mandate to criticise them.

Press X to doubt. I mean, on the Internet you can claim to be anyone. I do not know you enough to believe your claims, especially after that massive generalization.

People in this country will cheer as we bomb Baghdad, in a country that did absolutely nothing to warrant an American attack, and sing and dance as we kill children in a country that was no threat to us. They will DEMAND war, DEMAND blood, in Iran, in Syria, in Ukraine, in places they hadn't even heard of before, places they can't locate on a map, nations they know absolutely nothing about, nations that have NEVER attacked America, all on behalf of the ones that HAVE (Saudi Arabia, Turkey, etc).

Are you sure you're not living in an alternate reality? There's a wide bipartisan consensus among Americans that US involvement in foreign wars is counterproductive. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thenat ... ons/tnamp/

Vostochnaya Appalachiya
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vostochnaya Appalachiya » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:03 pm

Shazbotdom wrote:

I'd love to be able to remind them all that George Washington & Co didn't give a good God damn what happened on some other continent on the other side of the ocean.

Hahahahaha.

And I could make a sweeping generalization about Slavic people, but I am a mature adult.

Say whatever you want. I'm just telling the truth.

At least when Slavs say that some people somewhere ought to be killed, they sack up and join the military, a volunteer brigade, or a PMC themselves.

I am sick of Americans and other Westerners talking casually about killing the big bad Russians, or Assad, or whoever, or toppling this or that government, while they sit at home safe and suck down sodas and somebody else's kid dies. It's the behavior of a disgusting, degenerate society. Calling for war and chaos in somebody else's home just so you can be entertained.
Family, Folk & Nation. Economic pragmatist. Sustainability > Liberty. Democracy is kakistocracy. Rights don't exist. Empires are stupid.
Prospective Christian, currently in litigation with God. My Russian sucks, my Spanish is a bit better.

Vostochnaya Appalachiya
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vostochnaya Appalachiya » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:15 pm

Picairn wrote:
Vostochnaya Appalachiya wrote:What generalization? I made a 100% correct statement.

Press X to doubt. I mean, on the Internet you can claim to be anyone. I do not know you enough to believe your claims, especially after that massive generalization.

Are you sure you're not living in an alternate reality? There's a wide bipartisan consensus among Americans that US involvement in foreign wars is counterproductive. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thenat ... ons/tnamp/

But they don't care enough to actually speak out against the wars lol... :roll:

The anti-war movement in America died the exact nanosecond that Barack Obama sat in that chair.

I still remember when ISIS first came on the scene and all the surveys said Americans overwhelmingly supported sending troops to fight them. The problem? Nobody in those same surveys was actually willing to sign up to fight themselves.

What you believe in doesn't matter if you won't stand for it.

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:35 pm

Vostochnaya Appalachiya wrote:
Shofercia wrote:
Considering that he's still in power, it's rather obvious that the police and military support him.

"Open air slave markets are an improvement!" - Neocons and Neolibs

He wouldn't be starting - you're attacking his ally, ergo you're starting the war.

"We're invading your allies, but we're totally not starting a war with you!"

So you want to engage in arms trafficking on Russia's borders? There's no way this could backfire.

Many American people are just psychotic, slavophobic monsters. They have no qualms about supporting actions that result in some other man's sons getting killed. War is just a distant blood sport for them. They can say all kinds of insane things while somebody else is doing all the dying, and not lose one minute of sleep over it.

Good day!

I see you're new to the forums; I'm here to let you know that this post is considered trolling. Were it not for threadjacking a separate thread I would have given you an informal warning; that said, consider this your first *** warning for trolling + threadjacking. *** I suggest you review the rules; there is a reason we have them.

Thanks!
NVI
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:06 am

Picairn wrote:

no he's quite right. Americans have not experienced the trauma of war on our own soil since pearl harbor, and even that was very limited. Since the Civil War our experience with war has been one at arms length, and we have very long arms. This means for us going to war is a matter of balencing political and moral interests against the the tax burden. The idea that someone we know might die in war is limited to those who know a serviceman going to that war zone, and the idea that the war zone might extend to the US is not even considered.

For most nations going to war in a country half a world away, with which we have no significant relationship and which most of us could not find on a map would be ridiculous, but we do it so often we don't not even trouble to keep track of how many such adventures we're involved in
Last edited by Aclion on Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:36 am

Picairn wrote:

Seems to me that ever since George Walker Bush invaded Iraq, the US war machine has been flexing its muscles. The war was escalated to Pakistan and Somalia. Both are still ongoing, neither was ended by Obama. In fact, Obama decided to get a few wars going as well, starting with Libya in 2011, Syria in 2014, supporting Saudi atrocities in Yemen since 2015, (Black Lives Matter - woohoo, let's bomb some darkies!) etc. Heck, there are a bunch of Neocons called the Lincoln Project who are pissed off at Trump because he's yet to start a war, and they're hailed by the DNC.

So yeah, majority of Americans might be anti-war, but the amount of care is so incredibly little, that it doesn't really influence any votes. And that list excludes fiascos like Ukraine, temporary interventions like Uganda, and so on... Oh, and did black lives matter to Obama it Gitmo? Just asking. Maybe they mattered in Tawargha: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16051349

The 30,000 people living in a town in northern Libya have been driven out of their homes, in what appears to have been an act of revenge for their role in the three-month siege of the city of Misrata. So what really happened in the town of Tawergha, are the accusations of brutality against the town's residents fair and what does it say about hopes for national unity? "No, they can never come back… They have done us too much harm, terrible things. We cannot forgive them."

Dear ethnically cleansed people, don't come back, your oppressors cannot forgive you. BLM!

So is there a single American on NSG who's voting based on foreign policy? Because, and here's what Vostochnaya Appalachiya seems to be trying to say: if you care so little about American boys and girls sent to fight abroad, as to not even bother holding the leadership to account on constant foreign interventions, isn't that, just a tad, psychotic? And if you take a look at what was done to Iraq and Libya, by Bush and Obama respectively, isn't that, just a tad, psychotic?

Now you might be saying, "what does this have to do with the thread about Belarus" - here's what: for the past few pages, Lumen was advocating US Intervention in Belarus, to the point of arms sales. It's important to understand where that viewpoint's coming from. It's important to understand why US intervention in Belarus isn't ideal, and since Lumen made that the topic for the past few pages, without any objections, that's on topic.
Last edited by Shofercia on Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:02 am

Aclion wrote:no he's quite right. Americans have not experienced the trauma of war on our own soil since pearl harbor, and even that was very limited.

Tell that to the victims of 9/11. 3k Americans died that day.

Since the Civil War our experience with war has been one at arms length, and we have very long arms. This means for us going to war is a matter of balencing political and moral interests against the the tax burden.

Or out of blood-hungry revenge, like the post-9/11 frenzy.

The idea that someone we know might die in war is limited to those who know a serviceman going to that war zone, and the idea that the war zone might extend to the US is not even considered.

For most nations going to war in a country half a world away, with which we have no significant relationship and which most of us could not find on a map would be ridiculous, but we do it so often we don't not even trouble to keep track of how many such adventures we're involved in

Each war happened for separate reasons. I'd love to discuss about the causes and consequences of each foreign intervention the US has committed with you, but this is not the thread for that.

Shofercia wrote:Seems to me that ever since George Walker Bush invaded Iraq,

Iraq was a colossal mistake, no doubt. However I'd argue that it was the rebuilding efforts, which Bush blundered, that led to Iraqi military soldiers freely roaming the country with weapons.

the US war machine has been flexing its muscles. The war was escalated to Pakistan

Because Osama bin Laden was there. The fact that he lived just a few miles away from a Pakistani military base is pretty much a dead giveaway that Pakistan was harboring terrorists.

and Somalia.

To destroy Al-Shabaab, a militant Islamic terrorist group which pledged allegiance to Al-Queda, as well as destroying one of the many tentacles of ISIS across the Islamic world.

Both are still ongoing, neither was ended by Obama. In fact, Obama decided to get a few wars going as well, starting with Libya in 2011,

A joint NATO operation, requested by Libyan opposition, started by France and the UK, greenlit by UN SC resolution 1973?

Syria in 2014,

Because ISIS was threatening Iraqi and Syrian proper. Its brutality and war crimes, I don't think I need to tell you.

supporting Saudi atrocities in Yemen since 2015, (Black Lives Matter - woohoo, let's bomb some darkies!) etc.

Yes, that was horrible and detestable.

Heck, there are a bunch of Neocons called the Lincoln Project who are pissed off at Trump because he's yet to start a war, and they're hailed by the DNC.

Ever heard of coalition building in elections? The DNC hailed TLP for helping them oust Trump, a goal that all people should help succeed.

So yeah, majority of Americans might be anti-war, but the amount of care is so incredibly little, that it doesn't really influence any votes.

There was a bipartisan measure to end US intervention in Yemen, but Trump vetoed that. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... n.amp.html

And that list excludes fiascos like Ukraine, temporary interventions like Uganda, and so on... Oh, and did black lives matter to Obama it Gitmo?

Obama can't close Gitmo because he was blocked by the Republican Congress, specifically it banned him from transferring detainees to any other US facility. Despite that, the number of Gitmo prisoners dropped from nearly 800 detainees at one time to 41.

Just asking. Maybe they mattered in Tawargha: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16051349

The 30,000 people living in a town in northern Libya have been driven out of their homes, in what appears to have been an act of revenge for their role in the three-month siege of the city of Misrata. So what really happened in the town of Tawergha, are the accusations of brutality against the town's residents fair and what does it say about hopes for national unity? "No, they can never come back… They have done us too much harm, terrible things. We cannot forgive them."

Dear ethnically cleansed people, don't come back, your oppressors cannot forgive you. BLM!

So is there a single American on NSG who's voting based on foreign policy? Because, and here's what Vostochnaya Appalachiya seems to be trying to say: if you care so little about American boys and girls sent to fight abroad, as to not even bother holding the leadership to account on constant foreign interventions, isn't that, just a tad, psychotic? And if you take a look at what was done to Iraq and Libya, by Bush and Obama respectively, isn't that, just a tad, psychotic?

Because 9/11. Americans desired revenge after seeing 3k of their own countrymen died under a terrorist attack. Since then the US has been everywhere to stomp the terrorist threat, albeit with terrible planning and massive civilian casualties.

Aside from that, there were protests by Americans and other people worldwide, and there have been efforts by Congress to end interventions. So no, not all of them are "psychotic monsters".

Now you might be saying, "what does this have to do with the thread about Belarus" - here's what: for the past few pages, Lumen was advocating US Intervention in Belarus, to the point of arms sales. It's important to understand where that viewpoint's coming from. It's important to understand why US intervention in Belarus isn't ideal, and since Lumen made that the topic for the past few pages, without any objections, that's on topic.

Lumen's ideas are misguided. Intervention in Belarus is like bombing Russia's backyard. It will end just like Ukraine.

Panslavicland
Envoy

Founded: Nov 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Panslavicland » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:29 am

Vostochnaya Appalachiya wrote: Many American people are just psychotic, slavophobic monsters. They have no qualms about supporting actions that result in some other man's sons getting killed. War is just a distant blood sport for them. They can say all kinds of insane things while somebody else is doing all the dying, and not lose one minute of sleep over it.

While there is a grain of truth to that, don't forget that the people of America also chose Donald Trump as president, who ran on a platform of not starting or escalating foreign wars but to reduce intervention instead, a promise he has kept. Who is the last American president who can boast of having not started any new wars? I think you might have to go back to the isolationist 1920s to find one, but even then my knowledge of that time period isn't great so it may be even longer than that, which surely puts President Trump, on the evidence of his first term at least, as one of if not the greatest president America has had.

Vostochnaya Appalachiya
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vostochnaya Appalachiya » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:38 am

If the GWOT was about vengeance for 9/11, we would be fighting Saudi Arabia, not the Shiite world. Instead, our criminal government has allied itself *with* salafist factions in North Africa, the Levant and the Arabian Peninsula *against* Shiites, Alawites, Christians, etc.

Hizbollah, Iran, Assad, etc have *never* posed a threat to the United States. They have only ever shed American blood when *we* have invaded *their* world, and we only ever did that on behalf of the Saudi-Israeli-Ottoman Axis.

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby San Lumen » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:38 am

https://apnews.com/article/voting-fraud ... 02bcda499b

The opposition leader is threatening a nationwide strike if Lukashenko doesn’t step down. She has given him 13 days to comply.
Last edited by San Lumen on Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Washington Resistance Army
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:41 am

San Lumen wrote:https://apnews.com/article/voting-fraud-and-irregularities-belarus-sviatlana-tsikhanouskaya-lithuania-elections-55b86b4f82accf152f926e02bcda499b

The opposition leader is threatening a nationwide strike if Lukashenko doesn’t step down. She has given him 13 days to comply.

The KGB had a chuckle at this I imagine.
Hellenic Polytheist, Socialist

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:45 am

San Lumen wrote:https://apnews.com/article/voting-fraud-and-irregularities-belarus-sviatlana-tsikhanouskaya-lithuania-elections-55b86b4f82accf152f926e02bcda499b

I wonder if Pinkerton will stop murdering Trump supporters to strike break in Belarus
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:51 am

Aclion wrote:

I wonder if Pinkerton will stop murdering Trump supporters to strike break in Belarus

That guy wasn't actually a Pinkerton btw, local news broke that he wasn't a security guard at all. Oops.

Vostochnaya Appalachiya
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vostochnaya Appalachiya » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:56 am

For reference on the Denver murderer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wrHvUVEKeT8

Exalted Inquellian State
Senator

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Exalted Inquellian State » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:06 am

Wow. That will sure make him step down. Should've done it in the first two weeks if she wanted success.
My Kaiserreich Cold War RP-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=507613&sid=a338bded6a6009aba44e8b2d0d1d04c4
My Kaiserreich/The Burning Sun German Empire Political Roleplay-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=514195&sid=fd8a29ac7c4e1a97e9bc4266e116a56f

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Postby San Lumen » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:14 am

Exalted Inquellian State wrote:

Wow. That will sure make him step down. Should've done it in the first two weeks if she wanted success.

What difference would it have made? He’s not going to leave.

Exalted Inquellian State
Senator

Founded: Apr 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Exalted Inquellian State » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:20 am

San Lumen wrote:
Exalted Inquellian State wrote:Wow. That will sure make him step down. Should've done it in the first two weeks if she wanted success.

What difference would it have made? He’s not going to leave.

There might've actually been a huge strike. Now there won't be.
My Kaiserreich Cold War RP-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=507613&sid=a338bded6a6009aba44e8b2d0d1d04c4
My Kaiserreich/The Burning Sun German Empire Political Roleplay-https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=514195&sid=fd8a29ac7c4e1a97e9bc4266e116a56f

Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:21 am

Exalted Inquellian State wrote:
San Lumen wrote:What difference would it have made? He’s not going to leave.

There might've actually been a huge strike. Now there won't be.

Even if there is it's not like it'd do anything, the security services would just roll up and crush them.

San Lumen
Post Kaiser

Postby San Lumen » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:24 am

Washington Resistance Army wrote:
Exalted Inquellian State wrote:There might've actually been a huge strike. Now there won't be.

Even if there is it's not like it'd do anything, the security services would just roll up and crush them.

And they are soulless monsters who should abandon him too but they won’t.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:27 am

San Lumen wrote:
Washington Resistance Army wrote:

And they are soulless monsters who should abandon him too but they won’t.

Their loyalty is bought by securing a good future for themselves and their family, that's not soullessness. If the opposition wanted to sway them they should have done a better job trying to demonstrate that they could do a better job.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:34 am

Picairn wrote:-snippy snippy snippy-

This is one of the genuinely best posts I've ever seen on this site - I may or may not agree with it, but this is super high quality. Bravo, man, bravo.
Last edited by Atheris on Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Washington Resistance Army » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:41 am

Picairn wrote:A joint NATO operation, requested by Libyan opposition, started by France and the UK, greenlit by UN SC resolution 1973?

You say that like it doesn't make it a massive mistake lol. We should have told the opposition to pound sand.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General