NATION

PASSWORD

Former King of Spain flees Spain

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

So should Spain get rid of the monarchy

Yes
47%
No
43%
Not Sure
10%

Total votes : 177

Middle Barael
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Middle Barael » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:49 am

The extradition, what a show! The extradition, the king's got to go!
Pro: Environmentalism, fighting climate change, social democracy, co-ops, police reform, LGBTQ rights, abortions, separation of church and state, democracy, assault weapon ban, proportional representation, multi-party states, Two-State Solution, Israel AND Palestine, pacifism, immigration, Anti-Racism, NHS-type Healthcare, culture, science, multiculturalism, UN, EU

Anti: Environmental destruction, fossil fuels, Trump, Laissez-faire economy, communism, far-right, homophobia, “Pro-Life”, dictatorships, one/two-party systems, guns, Netanyahu, Israeli settlements, Hamas, Jihadism, war, racism, anti-immigration, nationalism, fascism, chauvinism,

8Values
Social: Very Progressive
Economic: Social
Civil: Liberal
Foreign: Internationalist

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:52 am

Middle Barael wrote:The extradition, what a show! The extradition, the former king's got to go!
FTFY.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:27 am

If the constitutional monarchy is corrupt the only solution is to use what was before.

Put the Leader of Falange Española Tradicionalista y de las Juntas de Ofensiva Nacional Sindicalista in charge.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:45 am

Greed and Death wrote:If the constitutional monarchy is corrupt the only solution is to use what was before.

Put the Leader of Falange Española Tradicionalista y de las Juntas de Ofensiva Nacional Sindicalista in charge.
No.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:26 am

Major-Tom wrote:Could he even be prosecuted in Spain?

The arraign in Spain apparently needs to be explained.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:53 am

-Astoria- wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:If the constitutional monarchy is corrupt the only solution is to use what was before.

No.

Come on Democracy clearly doesn't work in Spain. we need a strong man to guide the country.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:19 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
-Astoria- wrote:No.

Come on Democracy clearly doesn't work in Spain. we need a strong man to guide the country.

And what is the name of said leader?
The Blaatschapen should resign

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:51 pm

Godular wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:Could he even be prosecuted in Spain?

Spain can no longer feign that they are not in pain.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:53 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

*raises hand*

I suppose I will have to rule Spain with an Iron fist then.

Or maybe Santiago Abascal Conde would be better.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barack Obama

Autumn Wind
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 09, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Autumn Wind » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:53 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

Charles V?
Your faith does not amuse me. Fundamentalism is a singularly unfunny disposition- A Rightist Puppet

In short, "fascist" is a modern word for "heretic," branding an individual worthy of excommunication from the body politic. The right uses otherwords ("reverse-racist," "feminazi," "unamerican," "communist") for similiar purposes, but these words have less elastic meanings. Fascism, however, is the gift that keeps on giving. - Jonah Goldberg, revisited.

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:54 pm

Is this this same King that was hand picked from the royal family by Franco to be his successor? He always seemed sketchy, even if he brought about the demise of the nationalist government.
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:54 pm

Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:
Godular wrote:

Spain can no longer feign that they are not in pain.

I just need an explanation from a gentleman in the Spanish nation.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:02 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

*raises hand*

I thought you wanted a strong man :rofl:

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:29 pm

Rusozak wrote:Is this this same King that was hand picked from the royal family by Franco to be his successor? He always seemed sketchy, even if he brought about the demise of the nationalist government.

From what I understand, he was a very savvy politician who was qualified for the job in plenty of ways. However, that kind of qualification isn't exclusive from self-serving practices.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:38 pm

Seems sort of weird that the king would pay taxes. Who would he pay them to?
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:38 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:*raises hand*

I thought you wanted a strong man :rofl:

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:04 pm

I’ve been gone so long that I won’t venture to say much than bring Juan Carlos back, have him face the music back home and whatever happens, that it is my fellow countrymen who choose it. If that means doing away with the monarchy, so be it.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:22 pm

Absolutly disgusting that he flees his own country like a coward.

The spanish bourbons are fucking done for.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:25 pm

Menorica wrote:Why is everyone on about the Former King of Spain fleeing the country? I mean like for goodness sakes, This happened before!

His Majesty King Edward VIII abdicated (resigned) to be King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain to marry his American Queen-Consort (or rather more-so Duchess) Wallis Simpson, And fled the UK to many places since than....

(Formerly) His Royal Highness and (Formerly) Her Royal Highness; Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan fled the United Kingdom of Great Britain for the United States of America Commonwealth of Canada to avoid paparazzi attention and mostly the Monarchy, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are now currently residing as dual citizens in the United States of America where both AND the Future of the British Monarchy itself; Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor are permanently staying at this point, Avoiding another duty call for the Monarchy; Summer With The Queen In August....

So this isn't anything new, Just something History forgot to explain to the Entertainment World.

You cannot compare former King Edward VIII with former King Juan Carlos. Former King Edward VIII only reign for 329 days. Former King Juan Carlos reigned for 39 years.

In our poll, those that believe the monarchy should continue are 42% of those that voted. While those that think it should end are 49%. Did not think it would be that close. Spanish public opinion in support of the the monarchy before this latest scandal was going down. Before this, 52% wanted a referendum on if to abolish the monarchy. This scandal does the monarchy no good.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:32 pm

The Archregimancy wrote:
Rio Cana wrote:Some say he helped bring democracy to Spain while others say he was hand picked by the Spanish dictator without any public referendum.

And it's entirely possible that both are true; that Juan Carlos was hand-picked as Franco's successor without a vote, and then (without attempting to downplay the scandals that brought about his abdication) played a crucial and much-honoured role in bringing democracy to Spain.

As the lack of a vote or referendum in restoring the monarchy, it's true that Juan Carlos became king without any form of public vote, but his role as monarch and as representative of the historic ruling dynasty was explicitly outlined by Part II of the Spanish Constitution of 1978. This was then approved by a public referendum in December 1978, where the constitution - and the role of the monarch within that constitution - was approved by almost 92% of Spanish voters. So the role of the monarch within the modern Spanish nation does have significant democratic legitimacy.

The people of Spain are, of course, free to change their minds on this point via the special provisions applying to changes to Part II of the constitution (which similarly apply to replacing the existing constitution with a new constitution).

While that 1978 constitution did bring democracy, I think if the Spanish had cut out the part about establishing a monarchy that democracy would have been held up. In other words, a take it or leave it situation. Franco might not have been around but his supporters were still there. They even tried to overthrow the government in 1981.
National Information
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:34 pm

Atheris wrote:Can you at least link a news post, please? It makes the OP look a bit better imho.

This from German news - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbwuICDIfxc
National Information

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:39 pm

-Astoria- wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:
No inbreeding here.

"We promise!" *crosses fingers*

I don't think anyone is pretending that Charles II wasn't inbred.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:41 pm

The reign in Spain flees mostly in the plane.
Last edited by Neanderthaland on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:57 pm

Baltenstein wrote:Gentlemen, this might be a good opportunity to restore the true and rightful royal house of Spain:

If only they did not inbreed and married a lowly servant instead. Who he met at a ball and had to find by her glass slipper.

Her name of course is,just as fitting as said slipper.

Chinderella
Last edited by The Blaatschapen on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Auze
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:12 pm

Second Spanish Civil War when?
Hello, I'm an Latter-day Saint kid from South Carolina!
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced ['ɑ.ziː].
My political views are best described as "incoherent"

Anyway, how about a game?
[spoiler=Views I guess]RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.
In general I am a Centrist

I disown most of my previous posts (with a few exceptions)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General