NATION

PASSWORD

Large explosion in Beirut - hundreds reported injured

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:44 am

Picairn wrote:
Vassenor wrote:How do you get that from what appears to have been an accident?

Accident? How? Ammonium nitrate itself isn't explosive, it's an oxidiser, drawing oxygen to a fire which makes it burn more intensely, which can cause an explosion but only under extreme circumstances. 2,700 tons of it have been sitting in a warehouse for six years without a problem. And now it explodes suddenly like that? Probably intentional, since it requires oil to massively explode. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... se-capital

But still, that's only my suspicion. We will have to wait and see. If it is confirmed, then Beirut will have another bombing in its long list of ones, starting from the barracks bombing of 1983.

Have you actually seen the video? There's smoke before the blast, so something was on fire.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:48 am

Picairn wrote:

Accident? How? Ammonium nitrate itself isn't explosive, it's an oxidiser, drawing oxygen to a fire which makes it burn more intensely, which can cause an explosion but only under extreme circumstances. 2,700 tons of it have been sitting in a warehouse for six years without a problem. And now it explodes suddenly like that? Probably intentional, since it requires oil to massively explode. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... se-capital

But still, that's only my suspicion. We will have to wait and see. If it is confirmed, then Beirut will have another bombing in its long list of ones, starting from the barracks bombing of 1983.

It was on fire for some time before exploding. Ammonium nitrate explodes when it has been burning for some time.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:53 am

Picairn wrote:

It seems very unlikely that it was intentional to me.

An accident as a result of massively stupid decision making seems far more likely.
Everything is intertwinkled

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:35 am

Vistulange wrote:Never attribute to malice what can simply be explained by incompetence and idiocy.

Under the assumption that this was not a terror attack - and it doesn't look like it thus far - this tragedy is probably the biggest example of how incompetence kills.

Exactly, if this was Israel then we'd already know about it by now either from Israel or the Lebannese government. Instead there's the usual conspiracy theorists who'd blame Israel for their own farts.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Phoenicaea
Ambassador

Founded: May 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenicaea » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:38 am

we have to hang vladmir putin and recep taiyp erdogan high, at stake, at least, we ll search for the list of theirs, and others, after.

either way, they will starve and bring all us to preventible death, as they ve made to syrians, stare at what they caused. it will disseminate.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:54 am

Phoenicaea wrote:we have to hang vladmir putin and recep taiyp erdogan high, at stake, at least, we ll search for the list of theirs, and others, after.

either way, they will starve and bring all us to preventible death, as they ve made to syrians, stare at what they caused. it will disseminate.

And this has what to do with what happened in Beirut?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Phoenicaea
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenicaea » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:56 am

^it has much to do with it, with what’s happened to neighbor Syria.

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:57 am

Phoenicaea wrote:^it has much to do with it, with what’s happened to neighbor Syria.
How, though?
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:01 am

Picairn wrote:

Yes it requires oil, or some other reagent, to explode.

Given that fireworks were allegedly stored nearby, is it out of the question that some idiot stored oil nearby too?

You should look into the question of detonators too ...

(btw, an "oxidizer" does not participate in reactions by drawing oxygen from the atmosphere; it is anything which plays the role of oxygen in the reaction. Taking electrons. Oxidizers do not necessarily contain oxygen; for instance the element Fluorine is an oxidizer. In school I learned to say "oxidant" but "oxidizer" is definitely much better. It's got a z and an x in it!)
Last edited by Nobel Hobos 2 on Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:03 am

I'm not so sure it was a bombing now. However I have a feeling this happened because of someone who does or has done bombings.

Why were shitloads of Ammonium Nitrate sitting around at the port? For what usage? I think it's possible Hezbollah put some of their bomb materials there years ago for storage, forgot them, and then today a random fire set them all off at once.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:03 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Picairn wrote:Accident? How? Ammonium nitrate itself isn't explosive, it's an oxidiser, drawing oxygen to a fire which makes it burn more intensely, which can cause an explosion but only under extreme circumstances. 2,700 tons of it have been sitting in a warehouse for six years without a problem. And now it explodes suddenly like that? Probably intentional, since it requires oil to massively explode. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... se-capital

Given that fireworks were allegedly stored nearby, is it out of the question that some idiot stored oil nearby too?

It's the idiot from the next warehouse welding the warehouse door.Sparks, lots of sparks
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Balaslandia
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Balaslandia » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:04 am

Possibly a terrorist attack, idk
PRESIDENT OF CORSICANA
Since 2019

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:05 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:I'm not so sure it was a bombing now. However I have a feeling this happened because of someone who does or has done bombings.

Why were shitloads of Ammonium Nitrate sitting around at the port? For what usage? I think it's possible Hezbollah put some of their bomb materials there years ago for storage, forgot them, and then today a random fire set them all off at once.

NH4NO3,for chemical fertilizer and chemical raw materials.I think it's normal to have these things in the port. In fact, almost all ports have this explosive chemical

Phoenicaea
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Phoenicaea » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:07 am

^how’s to say what has it to do with.. 20% of whole living people there came as refugee from Syria.

each attempt to dig further into neighbor Syria will bring also Lebanon to be submitted, necessarely.

besides, flamed deposit, powder and chemicals, at dock, headed to where?*

*rhetoric, arms stores are for supplying said war, Syrian supplies.
Last edited by Phoenicaea on Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:09 am, edited 5 times in total.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:11 am

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:I'm not so sure it was a bombing now. However I have a feeling this happened because of someone who does or has done bombings.

NH4NO3,for chemical fertilizer and chemical raw materials.I think it's normal to have these things in the port. In fact, almost all ports have this explosive chemical

Yeah but this much of it?

I'm supposed to believe that due to a horrible sad coincidence that is nobody's fault, several blocks of Beirut no longer exist? It's Lebanon. It's a country where an ethno-religious conflict killed thousands of people. I think it's very likely the sheer amount of ammonium nitrate at the port was there because Hezbollah, or maybe one of the other militias/parties in charge needed some bomb making material.

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:12 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

It's the idiot from the next warehouse welding the warehouse door.Sparks, lots of sparks

That might cause a fire in the Ammonium Nitrate. Unless there's some property of large amounts of the shit, which I'm unaware of ... not a detonation.

I've seen the videos. That's a detonation. Look at that shockwave causing vapor in a near perfect sphere.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:15 am

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:

I'm supposed to believe that due to a horrible sad coincidence that is nobody's fault, several blocks of Beirut no longer exist? It's Lebanon. It's a country where an ethno-religious conflict killed thousands of people. I think it's very likely the sheer amount of ammonium nitrate at the port was there because Hezbollah, or maybe one of the other militias/parties in charge needed some bomb making material.

Let's not judge them for that. If they get into a war with Israel they will need all the weapons they can get, including IED's made from ANFO. Stockpiling materials for a possible war is not an intention to make war, any more than Israel having nuclear fucking weapons is.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:16 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

That might cause a fire in the Ammonium Nitrate. Unless there's some property of large amounts of the shit, which I'm unaware of ... not a detonation.

I've seen the videos. That's a detonation. Look at that shockwave causing vapor in a near perfect sphere.

I said it before. I think someone was either storing bomb making materials or actual bombs at the port and they messed up and there was an explosion.

I saw the video too. That looked like the Oklahoma City bombing.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:18 am

And put it on the dock for six years?Nearly 10 million ammonium nitrate is produced in the world every year.There's no need. There's really no need to put so little sodium nitrate in the warehouse unless the port can't sell it

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:19 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

I said it before. I think someone was either storing bomb making materials or actual bombs at the port and they messed up and there was an explosion.

Its the same material that was used to commit it iirc, and the aftermath/death toll is looking very similar.

The main difference here is that the ammonium nitrate seems to have caught fire and exploded due to negligence, wheras the OKC bombing was premeditated and intentional.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:23 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

It exploded twice.Even flour can explode in an enclosed space. Maybe some of them exploded first, and then caused a bigger explosion.But if it's a terrorist attack, then there should be terrorists coming out and saying something.
Last edited by Shanghai industrial complex on Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:23 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

I'm pretty sure McVeigh used the same stuff. ANFO. But I'm also pretty sure he used a detonator. It's also used in mining, because it's cheap and safe.

There's no way of setting it off without a detonator (though to be frank, I should read more instead of going with something I heard on Mythbusters) so how exactly do you think someone was making bombs and "messed up"? They pushed down on the detonation handle just to check that it was working?

I have used the name Israel twice already in the thread. Three times now. Do I have to say it again?

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:33 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

It exploded twice.Even flour can explode in an enclosed space. Maybe some of them exploded first, and then caused a bigger explosion

That's a fair point. But if the smaller explosion set off the bigger one ... (a) what set off the smaller explosion? and (b) why was there any noticeable delay between the first and second explosion?

Fireworks for the first explosion is kind of plausible. A rocket from the burning pile of fireworks flew into the stacked bags of Ammonium Nitrate, there being no walls in the way, and the pile which somehow got soaked in a oil, then detonated.

Or it could be Israel. Picking their moment to dispossess Lebanon of bomb-making material. Time will tell ... or as with my previous claim that Israel has nuclear weapons, time will not tell all that well at all. Israel is pretty slick.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:35 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Shanghai industrial complex wrote:It exploded twice.Even flour can explode in an enclosed space. Maybe some of them exploded first, and then caused a bigger explosion

That's a fair point. But if the smaller explosion set off the bigger one ... (a) what set off the smaller explosion? and (b) why was there any noticeable delay between the first and second explosion?

Fireworks for the first explosion is kind of plausible. A rocket from the burning pile of fireworks flew into the stacked bags of Ammonium Nitrate, there being no walls in the way, and the pile which somehow got soaked in a oil, then detonated.

Or it could be Israel. Picking their moment to dispossess Lebanon of bomb-making material. Time will tell ... or as with my previous claim that Israel has nuclear weapons, time will not tell all that well at all. Israel is pretty slick.

Its pretty common knowlege that Israel has nuclear weapons lol. They dont even deny that anymore
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:36 am

Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General