NATION

PASSWORD

Large explosion in Beirut - hundreds reported injured

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:00 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:
Good lord, I hope you are right!

If it was a radiological attack then Western nations would be in overdrive right now.

Yes, such a thing would have been detected very early on.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:00 pm

I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:00 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:I’m not a conspiratorial person, but after seeing footage of the blast and how insanely powerful it appeared (IE its shockwave evidently traveling for many miles in bursts), is there anyone with a better science prowess than myself that can explain to me how a warehouse fire could have resulted in such an unbelievably powerful explosion that sent shockwaves all the way to Cyprus?

I simply can’t fathom it being anything other than a coordinated attack, but this isn’t my area of expertise so I’m open to hearing what people with a better scientific background can say about this.

I don't think it was. You can see it burning before the explosion, and ammonium nitrate does tend to explode when it has been burning for a certain amount of time. And given that we are talking about thousands of tons of ammonium nitrate going up at once, it's not surprising that this was the effect.

I believe it was ammonium nitrate and accidental, I had just never heard of it's raw power until, well, today.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:01 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/aug/04/beirut-explosion-huge-blast-port-lebanon-capital

Lebanon's PM says it was a caused by 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate and the government does not think this was an attack.

Well that's... "good" is the wrong word.

"Preferable" I guess?
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:02 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I don't think it was. You can see it burning before the explosion, and ammonium nitrate does tend to explode when it has been burning for a certain amount of time. And given that we are talking about thousands of tons of ammonium nitrate going up at once, it's not surprising that this was the effect.

I believe it was ammonium nitrate and accidental, I had just never heard of it's raw power until, well, today.

2,700 tons of any high explosive makes a big boom.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:02 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/aug/04/beirut-explosion-huge-blast-port-lebanon-capital

Lebanon's PM says it was a caused by 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate and the government does not think this was an attack.

Well that's... "good" is the wrong word.

"Preferable" I guess?

I mean it being a freak accident does mean there will hopefully be no follow up. So thats ¨¨nice.¨¨
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:05 pm

At least it debunks the whole 'Isreal Did It!' Conspiracy theory that I saw in the YouTube comments.
Last edited by Aeritai on Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:07 pm

Major-Tom wrote:I believe it was ammonium nitrate and accidental, I had just never heard of it's raw power until, well, today.

Yes it's very dangerous and is often made into bombs. Farms have stocks of it as fertilizer, and if any is stolen then they have a duty to report it to the police immediately.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:09 pm

Major-Tom wrote:I believe it was ammonium nitrate and accidental, I had just never heard of it's raw power until, well, today.

Yes it's very dangerous and is often made into bombs. Farms have stocks of it as fertilizer, and if any is stolen then they have a duty to report it to the police immediately.

AN is fertalizer?

So its basically the same stuff that was used to bomb OKC in 1995?
Last edited by Agarntrop on Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:11 pm

And it's very often stored in large bulk with little security or safety checks in place. Which is always fun to think about.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:12 pm

Agarntrop wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Yes it's very dangerous and is often made into bombs. Farms have stocks of it as fertilizer, and if any is stolen then they have a duty to report it to the police immediately.

AN is fertalizer?

So its basically the same stuff that was used to bomb OKC in 1995?

Yes.

Wave on, wave on

State of Turelisa
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby State of Turelisa » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:14 pm

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:15 pm

Heloin wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Yes it's very dangerous and is often made into bombs. Farms have stocks of it as fertilizer, and if any is stolen then they have a duty to report it to the police immediately.

And it's very often stored in large bulk with little security or safety checks in place. Which is always fun to think about.

Which is what likely happened here. Corporate greed, getting people killed since corporations fucking existed.
Last edited by Andsed on Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:15 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I don't think it was. You can see it burning before the explosion, and ammonium nitrate does tend to explode when it has been burning for a certain amount of time. And given that we are talking about thousands of tons of ammonium nitrate going up at once, it's not surprising that this was the effect.

Same thing happened in Tianjin a few years back, and apparently it happened in Texas a long while ago and took out two planes flying overhead.

On the morning of April 16, 1947, the French-owned Grandcamp was preparing to finish loading a consignment of ammonium nitrate fertilizer at the port of Texas City, near Galveston. About 8:00 AM crew members noticed smoke in the cargo area, where 2,300 tons of the fertilizer had already been stowed. In order to keep the cargo intact, the crew decided not to use water to extinguish the fire; they instead tried, unsuccessfully, to snuff out the flames. Shortly after 9:00 AM the temperature inside the cargo area had risen enough to spark a massive explosion that was heard as far as 150 miles (240 km) away. The resulting fire destroyed the dock area and engulfed the nearby Monsanto Chemical Company plant. A mushroom cloud rose 2,000 feet (600 metres) into the air, and two small planes passing above were destroyed.
Last edited by Bombadil on Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:21 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:

Same thing happened in Tianjin a few years back, and apparently it happened in Texas a long while ago and took out two planes flying overhead.

On the morning of April 16, 1947, the French-owned Grandcamp was preparing to finish loading a consignment of ammonium nitrate fertilizer at the port of Texas City, near Galveston. About 8:00 AM crew members noticed smoke in the cargo area, where 2,300 tons of the fertilizer had already been stowed. In order to keep the cargo intact, the crew decided not to use water to extinguish the fire; they instead tried, unsuccessfully, to snuff out the flames. Shortly after 9:00 AM the temperature inside the cargo area had risen enough to spark a massive explosion that was heard as far as 150 miles (240 km) away. The resulting fire destroyed the dock area and engulfed the nearby Monsanto Chemical Company plant. A mushroom cloud rose 2,000 feet (600 metres) into the air, and two small planes passing above were destroyed.

I think if there had been any airliners flying in the vicinity during this explosion then the shockwave likely would have brought them down.

Wave on, wave on

Aeritai
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:22 pm

Might want to add a graphic warning to your post.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:26 pm

Aeritai wrote:

...is it graphic though? You don't actually see anyone getting injured or killed in it, or any gore etc.

Wave on, wave on

Aeritai
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:30 pm

Aeritai wrote:

...is it graphic though? You don't actually see anyone getting injured or killed in it, or any gore etc.

Actually yeah nevermind it isn't graphic.
Just call me Aeri
I am a Human Female

The Yellow Emperor
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Yellow Emperor » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:59 pm

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:03 pm

Political Islam is bad, it must be destroyed.
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:05 pm

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:Political Islam is bad, it must be destroyed.

And what does that have to do with anything?
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:06 pm

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:Political Islam is bad, it must be destroyed.

Ok. And this has to do with this how?

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum
Minister

Founded: Sep 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:14 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:

And what does that have to do with anything?
Heloin wrote:

Ok. And this has to do with this how?
Those who bombed were ISID militants.
Sosyal Demokrat Kemalist
Zayıf Agnostik
LGBT Destekçisi
-3.13 -4.77
Türk %76,2 ☾☆
Slav %22,4
Çinli %1

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:16 pm

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:And what does that have to do with anything?
Heloin wrote:Ok. And this has to do with this how?

There is no evidence this is a terror attack, and video evidence that strongly suggests it was an accident.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:18 pm

Hakinda Herseyi Duymak istiyorum wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:And what does that have to do with anything?
Heloin wrote:Ok. And this has to do with this how?

Have you read the news or just watched the videos?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General