NATION

PASSWORD

US GDP to fall by -32.9%, Europe's by -40.3%

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:32 am

Purpelia wrote:
La xinga wrote:Peer review does not mean it's true.

Except it literally does. Or rather it's as close to it as you can get within reasonable means.

But since you are intent on denying all science I do not see how this matters.

Intent on denying all science?
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
La xinga wrote:i don't think I understand your 'no on how it works'

Beacuse if you did you would know the work that goes into proveing or disproveing anything that gets peer reviewed.

And if I'm not there how would they know my opinion?
Food Discussion Thread (II)
I use NS stats if I like them.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:35 am

La xinga wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Except it literally does. Or rather it's as close to it as you can get within reasonable means.

Intent on denying all science?

Since peer review is the foundation of the scientific method, yes denying the validity of peer review is essentially denying the science.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:36 am

Post War America wrote:
La xinga wrote:Intent on denying all science?

Since peer review is the foundation of the scientific method, yes denying the validity of peer review is essentially denying the science.

"The" and "All" aren't the same.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:40 am

La xinga wrote:
Post War America wrote:

"The" and "All" aren't the same.

Given that science without peer review is generally considered to be quackery at best, what you're essentially saying is that quackery is more valid than actual science.
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:43 am

Post War America wrote:
La xinga wrote:"The" and "All" aren't the same.

Given that science without peer review is generally considered to be quackery at best, what you're essentially saying is that quackery is more valid than actual science.

It's considered to be quackery maybe by you, but not by other people I know.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:49 am

La xinga wrote:
Post War America wrote:

It's considered to be quackery maybe by you, but not by other people I know.

Are other people you know actual scientists? Or are they random people?
For those who care
Not Post-Apocalyptic

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:53 am

Post War America wrote:
La xinga wrote:It's considered to be quackery maybe by you, but not by other people I know.

Eh Random people why?

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:57 am

La xinga wrote:
Post War America wrote:

Eh Random people why?

Generally, random people, when their opinions contradict experts in a field need to have some very serious evidence as to how they are right when experts are wrong. Since you are attempting to discredit the very foundations of how science works you're gonna need one hell of a mountain of evidence, and no "some other people agree with me" is not valid evidence.
For those who care
Not Post-Apocalyptic

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:01 am

Post War America wrote:
La xinga wrote:Eh Random people why?

Generally, random people, when their opinions contradict experts in a field need to have some very serious evidence as to how they are right when experts are wrong. Since you are attempting to discredit the very foundations of how science works you're gonna need one hell of a mountain of evidence, and no "some other people agree with me" is not valid evidence.

Just because the're scientists doesn't mean they can say it with no evidence. I wasn't there by peer review.

So that just leaves you who to trust, to trust the other scientists over the demon COVID one.

In fact, I see plenty of "wearing masks help you stop spreading" not "stop form catching."

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... t-20485449

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:38 am

Post War America wrote:
La xinga wrote:"The" and "All" aren't the same.

There is only two sciences without peer review. Ufology and ghost hunting.

Many people consider them to be pseudoscience and there is no peer review involved. And yet according to Xinga, peer review is big bad.
Last edited by Borderlands of Rojava on Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:20 am

So that would be a no on how peer review works.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer_review

Peer review makes it more likely that it is true; it does not make it true however.

There are numerous examples of retraction of peer reviewed studies on COVID-19 alone; peer review sometimes fails on giving a good review and sometimes peer review is just outright wrong because later experimental or theoretical evidence overturns previous papers.

Even then, the point of peer review is not even to establish the truth of an experiment or theory; it is to certify that the experiment or theory contributes to the literature. This why you often have papers with competing theories all peer reviewed, sometimes published in the same issue of the same journal!
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:23 am

Purpelia wrote:

Except it literally does. Or rather it's as close to it as you can get within reasonable means.

As I noted in my post immediately above this, this is false nor do scientists or social scientists believe peer review is to be considered an endorsement of the truthfulness of a theory on the whole.

For example: take, for instance, peer reviewed papers on competing theories. Competing theories cannot simultaneously both be correct. Peer review is better understood as saying "it's not immediately obvious that you made a mistake and you have a plausible or even compelling theory which contributes to the literature".

Of course, additional review makes things less likely to be false but should not be confused with an outright endorsement of said theory.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:42 pm

Caninope wrote:
So that would be a no on how peer review works.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer_review

Peer review makes it more likely that it is true; it does not make it true however.

And since we began the tangent with "it's still science if it's not peer reviewed" and have reached a consensus that failing peer review means it's not science ... the only thing remaining is to decide whether papers not yet reviewed (or never submitted) are science, nonscience, or some indeterminate state.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Conservative Republic Of Huang
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Republic Of Huang » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:18 pm

Caninope wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Except it literally does. Or rather it's as close to it as you can get within reasonable means.

As I noted in my post immediately above this, this is false nor do scientists or social scientists believe peer review is to be considered an endorsement of the truthfulness of a theory on the whole.

For example: take, for instance, peer reviewed papers on competing theories. Competing theories cannot simultaneously both be correct. Peer review is better understood as saying "it's not immediately obvious that you made a mistake and you have a plausible or even compelling theory which contributes to the literature".

Of course, additional review makes things less likely to be false but should not be confused with an outright endorsement of said theory.

The social sciences are different, since they can't attain the level of rigors of the hard sciences. Obviously, peer-reviewed papers may be challenged, but if an idea is peer-reviewed and forms the academic consensus, it's probably right.
Pro: Direct democracy, e-democracy, parliamentary sovereignty, state secularism, non-violent direct action (striking), police reform, syndicalism, democratic workplace management
Anti: Most types of representative democracy, ultra-nationalism, imperialism, autocratic workplace management, the state

"In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say syndicalism now, syndicalism tomorrow, syndicalism forever."
not conservative or a republic
Transparency

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:38 pm

Seems like this thread has served whatever purpose it had and has devolved into a discussion of the scientific method or something.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General