NATION

PASSWORD

Trump to Ban TikTok – and Tencent?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:26 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:
Don't know why I see so much pro trump crap then, cause I sure as hell am no fan of the president.

:eyebrow: Many people openly state they don't support him and yet vote for him.

Ew no
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:58 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Don't know why I see so much pro trump crap then, cause I sure as hell am no fan of the president.

You got 11 democrats on a debate stage saying "yes, let's give illegal aliens free medicare", who the hell else am I suppose to vote for?
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:03 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

You got 11 democrats on a debate stage saying "yes, let's give illegal aliens free medicare", who the hell else am I suppose to vote for?

And in top 10 things that definitely did happen...
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:05 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

Probably because they want to keep their job and/or stay alive depending on the parts of the world they are in
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:16 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

I'd rather have that than have a president who admires Kim Jong Un. Honestly, I'll give the illegals free Medicare if the alternative is an end to american democracy.

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:41 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

I'd rather have that than have a president who admires Kim Jong Un. Honestly, I'll give the illegals free Medicare if the alternative is an end to american democracy.

Ok,

Back to the topic, the point of this is the newish law in the prc requiring Chinese companies to give up data to the prc on demand. Having tik tok's US servers in Singapore no longer protects the data from PRC requests, therefore its deemed a security risk.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:42 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

Ok,

Back to the topic, the point of this is the newish law in the prc requiring Chinese companies to give up data to the prc on demand. Having tik tok's US servers in Singapore no longer protects the data from PRC requests, therefore its deemed a security risk.

How is a law in China gonna effect a company based in Singapore?

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:52 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

How about don't vote at all?
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:01 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:Ok,

How is a law in China gonna effect a company based in Singapore?

Ownership is based in china.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:02 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

How about don't vote at all?

or third party; but that is not for this thread

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Christian Dominions of Theopolis
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Dominions of Theopolis » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:11 pm

What is this TikTok which I hear people banging on about?
Player Nation of State of Turelisa

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:16 pm

Auze wrote:I'll be honest, I was always impressed how the Chinese managed to take the idea behind Vine and make an even worse version.

Success and failure of a startup is bigly determined through natural selection by us, the market. If TikTok excelled, the natural selectors sucks and humanity has no hope.
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Khilafah – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

Tinhampton
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 05, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tinhampton » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:11 pm

Borderlands of Rojava wrote:I always doubt Trump's sincerity and I definitely do now. Considering how tiktokers bought tickets to his Tulsa rally just so it would be half empty, it's very likely this egotistical brat we call the president is doing this just to get revenge against them for ruining his rally.

We know Trump. He's a vindictive and immature fool.

It's worth noting that, even before the recent Coronavirus/Tulsa/CHINA BAD shitstorm, the BBC alone was carrying multiple reports on young people using TikTok for activism/campaigning on domestic violence, climate change, Xinjiang, diabetes, knife crime, teachers' salaries, the Aboriginal Australian community, climate change again...

And now China Research Group co-founder Neil O'Brien is calling for the government to engage in a "security review" of ByteDance before/if it decides to base its headquarters in the UK - which I can only assume is an indirect call for HM Government to veto such a decision :P
The Self-Administrative City of TINHAMPTON (pop. 329,537): Saffron Howard, Mayor (UCP); Alexander Smith, WA Delegate-Ambassador

Authorships & co-authorships: SC#250, SC#251, Issue #1115, SC#267, GA#484, GA#491, GA#533, GA#540, GA#549, SC#356, GA#559, GA#562, GA#567, GA#578, SC#374, GA#582, SC#375, GA#589, GA#590, SC#382, SC#385*, GA#597, GA#607, SC#415, GA#647, GA#656, GA#664, GA#671, GA#674, GA#675, GA#677, GA#680, Issue #1580, GA#682, GA#683, GA#684, GA#692, GA#693, GA#715
The rest of my CV: Cup of Harmony 73 champions; Philosopher-Queen of Sophia; *author of the most popular SC Res. ever; anti-NPO cabalist in good standing; 48yo Tory woman w/Asperger's; Cambridge graduate ~ currently reading The World by Simon Sebag Montefiore

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:40 pm

Tinhampton wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:I always doubt Trump's sincerity and I definitely do now. Considering how tiktokers bought tickets to his Tulsa rally just so it would be half empty, it's very likely this egotistical brat we call the president is doing this just to get revenge against them for ruining his rally.

We know Trump. He's a vindictive and immature fool.

It's worth noting that, even before the recent Coronavirus/Tulsa/CHINA BAD shitstorm, the BBC alone was carrying multiple reports on young people using TikTok for activism/campaigning on domestic violence, climate change, Xinjiang, diabetes, knife crime, teachers' salaries, the Aboriginal Australian community, climate change again...

And now China Research Group co-founder Neil O'Brien is calling for the government to engage in a "security review" of ByteDance before/if it decides to base its headquarters in the UK - which I can only assume is an indirect call for HM Government to veto such a decision :P

If they did an ipo on the LSE, and used the proceeds to buy out the Chinese ownership, if I were the UK, I would allow it.
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:54 pm

Christian Dominions of Theopolis wrote:What is this TikTok which I hear people banging on about?

Chinese spyware apparently.

Don't worry though, your data is safe with Facebook and Google!
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:16 pm

Apparently, The Party Strikes Back. How exactly, dunno.
Reuters wrote:China will not accept the "theft" of a Chinese technology company and is able to respond to Washington's move to push ByteDance to sell short-video app TikTok's U.S. operations to Microsoft, the China Daily newspaper said on Tuesday.

The United States' "bullying" of Chinese tech companies was a consequence of Washington's zero-sum vision of "American first" and left China no choice but "submission or mortal combat in the tech realm", the state-backed paper said in an editorial.

China had "plenty of ways to respond if the administration carries out its planned smash and grab", it added.

...The Global Times newspaper, which is also government-backed, said U.S. treatment of ByteDance and Huawei Technologies [HWT.UL], now on a U.S. trade blacklist, was indicative of U.S. efforts to separate its economy from China's.

China had "limited ability" to provide protection to these Chinese companies by retaliating against U.S. companies because the United States had technological superiority and influence with its allies, it added.

"China's opening-up to the outside world and disintegrating the U.S. decoupling strategy should be priorities," it said in an editorial.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reu ... SKCN25002I

Chinese netizens has also started accusing ByteDance CEO as "traitor" for agreeing to the Microsoft deal.

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

The Unites State-Of-Minds
Ambassador

Founded: May 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Unites State-Of-Minds » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:28 pm

Doesn't really matter too much, is just an early step in the US/China cold war stepping up while US leaders continue to sell out their own populace fattened up on cheap Chinese goods. If current trends continue then the world probably gets around 30 or so years of buildup and escalating tensions before one power fails out. Good news for the Americans here is that while the US is, domestically, in the weakest position its been in since the civil war era, globally it still retains its militaristic and trade dominance built from the previous cold war era.

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm

The Unites State-Of-Minds wrote:Doesn't really matter too much, is just an early step in the US/China cold war stepping up while US leaders continue to sell out their own populace fattened up on cheap Chinese goods. If current trends continue then the world probably gets around 30 or so years of buildup and escalating tensions before one power fails out. Good news for the Americans here is that while the US is, domestically, in the weakest position its been in since the civil war era, globally it still retains its militaristic and trade dominance built from the previous cold war era.

Whether that is going to last is uncertain. To expand its sphere of influence, China targets illiberal countries (most prominently in Africa) with delicious investment money too lucrative to be denied. Meanwhile, the US is losing a third of its GDP by the end of 2020, Europe's even larger, and the raging lunacy in the White House has damaged America’s standing, influence, and power in the world by weakening the system of partnerships and alliances the country has created and relied on for decades. Even before collapsing further due to Trump’s mishandling of the pandemic, confidence in him to “do the right thing” in international affairs stood at just 29 percent among 32 countries polled—down from 74 percent in former President Barack Obama’s final year in office.

1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:56 pm

Christian Dominions of Theopolis wrote:What is this TikTok which I hear people banging on about?

An app filled with wholesome christian content, like nuns singing "I will follow him" when a statue of Jesus is moved to another location, girls professing how they desire to remain a virgin until marriage and men lamenting how Christians are finally saying Harry Potter is actually a tale about good overcoming evil with a little resurrection thrown in - while the rest of the world now hates it.

Oh, and some other stuff as well. But do not worry about that ;)
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:07 pm

Region of Dwipantara wrote:
The Unites State-Of-Minds wrote:Doesn't really matter too much, is just an early step in the US/China cold war stepping up while US leaders continue to sell out their own populace fattened up on cheap Chinese goods. If current trends continue then the world probably gets around 30 or so years of buildup and escalating tensions before one power fails out. Good news for the Americans here is that while the US is, domestically, in the weakest position its been in since the civil war era, globally it still retains its militaristic and trade dominance built from the previous cold war era.

Whether that is going to last is uncertain. To expand its sphere of influence, China targets illiberal countries (most prominently in Africa) with delicious investment money too lucrative to be denied. Meanwhile, the US is losing a third of its GDP by the end of 2020, Europe's even larger, and the raging lunacy in the White House has damaged America’s standing, influence, and power in the world by weakening the system of partnerships and alliances the country has created and relied on for decades. Even before collapsing further due to Trump’s mishandling of the pandemic, confidence in him to “do the right thing” in international affairs stood at just 29 percent among 32 countries polled—down from 74 percent in former President Barack Obama’s final year in office.

The US should not just stand by and let China build a resources empire in Africa. The US should learn from what real imperialists did: claim their own sphere of influence, "invest" and really screw the continent back up.

Seriously, of all the accusations levelled against China, "they're exploiting Africa" is the least well founded. Africa has a huge population, mostly literate and vast resources. All they need is investment, so good luck to China.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

The Unites State-Of-Minds
Ambassador

Founded: May 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Unites State-Of-Minds » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:08 pm

Region of Dwipantara wrote:Whether that is going to last is uncertain. To expand its sphere of influence, China targets illiberal countries (most prominently in Africa) with delicious investment money too lucrative to be denied. Meanwhile, the US is losing a third of its GDP by the end of 2020, Europe's even larger, and the raging lunacy in the White House has damaged America’s standing, influence, and power in the world by weakening the system of partnerships and alliances the country has created and relied on for decades. Even before collapsing further due to Trump’s mishandling of the pandemic, confidence in him to “do the right thing” in international affairs stood at just 29 percent among 32 countries polled—down from 74 percent in former President Barack Obama’s final year in office.

To those ends, Chinese state figures are unreliable in determining to what extent the pandemic has affected the nation, although if satellite imagery and pollution measurements are anything to go by they are in a much worse position then the other major powers, especially so given that they are an export economy. Pandemic will continue to die down as the rate of death and complications are under a sharp decline by ratio as the total number of confirmed cases increases. If the pandemic was really something to worry about it would have been too late by march and the death toll by now would be stressing localized distribution of goods.

Us will likely recover lost gains in GDP within a year if trump remains in office and continues to bolster economic function, and while trust from minor nations in the us will decline the power structure the US relies on will not be affected in the slightest. The current US strategy only cares about Canada, Mexico, India, Australia, Japan, and the UK. All of which have already renegotiated trade and militaristic deals with the current leadership. Through these economies the US can continue its cold war era degree of control of world shipping and strip off the global bodies it erected to economically bribe the world not to go with the soviets.

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:53 pm

Apparently Trump has told Microsoft that he wants a cut of any deal for TikTok

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53633315
Everything is intertwinkled

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:57 pm

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Apparently Trump has told Microsoft that he wants a cut of any deal for TikTok

Meanwhile the Chinese government have called it outrageous, against free market principles, a smash and grab to threaten banning a platform, only allowing it to operate in the US if it's brought by a US company..

..with zero sense of irony whatsoever.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:05 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:Apparently Trump has told Microsoft that he wants a cut of any deal for TikTok

Classic example of "announce first, ask a lawyer later"
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:58 am

Bombadil wrote:

Meanwhile the Chinese government have called it outrageous, against free market principles, a smash and grab to threaten banning a platform, only allowing it to operate in the US if it's brought by a US company..

..with zero sense of irony whatsoever.

Is it not lovely how Trump is a communist while Xi Jinping is capitalist ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General