NATION

PASSWORD

Trump to Ban TikTok – and Tencent?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:53 am

Ifreann wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:What is Tencent? What's it for?

It's a business, it's for making money.

Eh, obviously businesses usually try to make money (but a lot of PRC businesses do not actually make money https://www.piie.com/blogs/china-econom ... nterprises) but businesses may have other agendas as well.

The purpose of Tencent is to make money AND support PRC global domination.
It can do both at the same time.

Given it is pretty much impossible to get rich in the PRC without the government being favorable to you, large numbers of PRC executives and billionaires are CCP members (I know, a communist party supported by billionaire businessmen) so they have to not only make money but also advance the interest of the PRC regime.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:07 am

Ifreann wrote:
Borderlands of Rojava wrote:What is Tencent? What's it for?

It's a business, it's for making money.

"That business" coincidentally also owns a lot of stakes in Snapchat, NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, Apple's and Google's app store, Tesla, Unreal Engine, LoL, Fortnite, WoW, Valorant, (thank you Vassenor) Riot Games, Epic Games, Supercell, Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, Platinum Games, Marvelous, Roblox, Discord, Sumo Digital, Garena, Bluehole, Paradox Interactive, Kakao, Fatshark, Frontier, and basically half of the gaming industry.

Banning Tencent means a sudden forced selling of all of their shares in all these companies and many more, worth billions of dollars, in 45 days. In case of Riot Games for example, it is owned 100% by Tencent and is probably completely unsalvageable.
Last edited by Region of Dwipantara on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Khilafah – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:26 am

Region of Dwipantara wrote:
Ifreann wrote:It's a business, it's for making money.

"That business" coincidentally also owns a lot of stakes in Snapchat, NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, Apple's and Google's app store, Tesla, Unreal Engine, LoL, Fortnite, WoW, Valorant, (thank you Vassenor) Riot Games, Epic Games, Supercell, Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, Platinum Games, Marvelous, Roblox, Discord, Sumo Digital, Garena, Bluehole, Paradox Interactive, Kakao, Fatshark, Frontier, and basically half of the gaming industry.

Banning Tencent means a sudden forced selling of all of their shares in all these companies and many more, worth billions of dollars, in 45 days. In case of Riot Games for example, it is owned 100% by Tencent and is probably completely unsalvageable.

Actually it looks like Tencent’s gaming arm will not be affected. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... orant/amp/

But anyways yes it would force them to dump all their shares. But none of those company’s intellectual property would cease to exist. Someone else would just buy it up. Tech companies because their only real assets are IP are quite easy buy and sell compared to more conventional industries.

Even if Riot Games died as a company, some other gaming company would snap up their IP.

But yes it would result in Tencent having to fire sale all that stuff. They would lose a ton of money but savvy investors could make a killing buying up valuable property on the cheap. The PRC would get slammed, others would gain.

But it is hypothetical because it will not affect all their assets. Still it cause their stock to drop 10%. Damn a smart person could have made a killing shorting their stock.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:30 am

Region of Dwipantara wrote:
MAJOR UPDATE: Trump finally sign an executive order banning ByteDance... and Tencent. Tencent is a massive Chinese tech conglomeracy with big stakes in a lot of areas.
Marketwatch wrote:While the move against TikTok’s owner — Beijing-based Bytedance — was not a huge surprise, action against WeChat’s owner — Shenzhen-based tech giant Tencent Holdings Inc. — was.

That’s because Tencent is one of the world’s largest and most valuable companies, with ownership stakes in a number of U.S. videogame companies, including Riot Games, which makes “League of Legends”; Epic Games, which makes “Fortnite”; and Activision Blizzard ATVI , which makes “World of Warcraft.”

Tencent also has significant stakes in Tesla Inc. TSLA and Snap Inc. SNAP , the maker of Snapchat, and the Chinese company has streaming deals in place with the NBA, the NFL and Major League Baseball. The order could potentially also affect Apple Inc. AAPL and Alphabet’s GOOGL GOOG Google app stores, which feature Tencent-owned apps.

The executive order took aim directly at WeChat, which has more than 1 billion users worldwide, and whose “data collection threatens to allow the Chinese Communist Party access to Americans’ personal and proprietary information,” the order said.

Tencent shares 700 in Hong Kong sank in Friday trading after the announcement. The news broke after the extended trading session in the U.S. closed, but traders will likely keep a close eye on how shares of Tesla, Activision Blizzard and others fare in the morning.

Banning all business by U.S. companies with WeChat’s parent — if that is the case — could prove to have much farther-reaching effects than Trump may have anticipated.

“Likely he had no idea,” tech journalist Kara Swisher tweeted Thursday night.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.market ... 2020-08-06

This is a video game crisis, if this means what I think it means. Tencent wholly or partially owns a LOT of video game companies and tech. Everything from Epic to Blizzard, from PoE to LoL. They have 45 days to sell their shares or these companies can't do business in the US.

This is literally music to my ears. Does this mean that Blizzard, Ubisoft, Supercell, and other gaming companies will be forced to withdraw from the Chinese market and stop kowtowing to the CCP? Will I finally be able to lift my boycott of Blizzard and reinstall WoW once again?

NBA, NFL, NHL & MLB all have media rights deals with Tencent to distribute content across China.

Too bad. People in China won't get to watch NBA matches. Fuck with HK and anyone who publicly stands with HK and the whole world will fuck you right back.
LIBERATE HONG KONG. REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES. CCP DELENDA EST.
VIVE LE FRANCE. JE SUIS SAMUEL PATY. I STAND WITH EUROPE AND ISRAEL AGAINST RADICAL ISLAM.
ALL LIVES MATTER.
Wuhan coronavirus is racist but Japanese encephalitis is A-OK. The CCP has nothing to do with this double standard whatsoever. Nothing to see here.
The case against communism
Definition of radical Islam

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:53 am

Novus America wrote:
Region of Dwipantara wrote:"That business" coincidentally also owns a lot of stakes in Snapchat, NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, Apple's and Google's app store, Tesla, Unreal Engine, LoL, Fortnite, WoW, Valorant, (thank you Vassenor) Riot Games, Epic Games, Supercell, Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, Platinum Games, Marvelous, Roblox, Discord, Sumo Digital, Garena, Bluehole, Paradox Interactive, Kakao, Fatshark, Frontier, and basically half of the gaming industry.

Actually it looks like Tencent’s gaming arm will not be affected. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... orant/amp/

I see. That's too bad. I was really looking forward to seeing Blizzard punished for banning Blitzchung for saying "liberate HK, revolution of our times" during a Hearthstone tournament livestream and firing two Taiwanese announcers for the "crime" of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I really want these gaming companies to get banned from China either by the PRC or via U.S., UK, and EU sanctions and Tencent to sell its shares in all of these companies so I can enjoy their games once again. Governments must send a clear message that doing business with or in China is ultimately bad for business. Boycott, divestment, and sanctions are the only way forward.
LIBERATE HONG KONG. REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES. CCP DELENDA EST.
VIVE LE FRANCE. JE SUIS SAMUEL PATY. I STAND WITH EUROPE AND ISRAEL AGAINST RADICAL ISLAM.
ALL LIVES MATTER.
Wuhan coronavirus is racist but Japanese encephalitis is A-OK. The CCP has nothing to do with this double standard whatsoever. Nothing to see here.
The case against communism
Definition of radical Islam

United Columbia Republic
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby United Columbia Republic » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:58 am

Cisairse wrote:
Novus America wrote:
I am not sure what you are trying to say. They have already destroyed millions of jobs and stolen trillions in IP via market manipulation. What is so bad about us (finally) fighting back a little?

It won't work and will ruin the global economy.

So you are going to ignore the fact that it's already been ruined with the virus? The U.S. Stock Market in New York sure had a field day the moment the virus stepped into American mainland.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xmara » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:34 pm

So, I’m a little confused. Will the Tencent ban cause Fortnite and Snapchat to be banned here in the US?
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:37 pm

I for one applaud the decisive action taken against the TikTok.

Orostan
Negotiator

Founded: May 02, 2016

Postby Orostan » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:42 pm

>no you can't collect data about us citizens and be absolutely unaccountable to anyone
>unless you're an american corporation than you can abuse data however you like

Banning TikTok is dumb and is part of the American-Chinese economic war over technology. It also helps the USA by directing attention away from the pandemic the government is mishandling/using to genocide the poors.

we love our totally normal and not fascistic in any way first world country don't we folks?
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

Cicero wrote:"In times of war, the laws fall silent"

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:42 pm

Xmara wrote:So, I’m a little confused. Will the Tencent ban cause Fortnite and Snapchat to be banned here in the US?

Snapchat is not owned by Tencent and it will not affect video games. But it will stop US companies from doing business with WeChat I believe.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Orostan wrote:>no you can't collect data about us citizens and be absolutely unaccountable to anyone

Banning TikTok is dumb and is part of the American-Chinese economic war over technology. It also helps the USA by directing attention away from the pandemic the government is mishandling/using to genocide the poors.

we love our totally normal and not fascistic in any way first world country don't we folks?

Dumb? Or “part of the American-Chinese war over technology”? Pick one and only one.

Anyways it does not ban it per se, just requires the sale of it (or at least the American part) to an American owner.
So no, it is not Fascist or even that abnormal. It uses a 1975 law that was recent used to transfer Grindr back to American ownership.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Orostan
Negotiator

Postby Orostan » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:46 pm

Novus America wrote:
Orostan wrote:>no you can't collect data about us citizens and be absolutely unaccountable to anyone

Dumb? Or “part of the American-Chinese war over technology”? Pick one and only one.

Anyways it does not ban it per se, just requires the sale of it (or at least the American part) to an American owner.

both, dumb actions are made for certain reasons that might not themselves be dumb.

It does essentially ban it, the fact that the US is demanding that a Chinese business hand over one of its most successful assets or be thrown out shows how heavy handed the US feels it has to be to maintain what economic influence it has left or how the current leadership doesn't understand how to do imperial competition.
“It is difficult for me to imagine what “personal liberty” is enjoyed by an unemployed hungry person. True freedom can only be where there is no exploitation and oppression of one person by another; where there is not unemployment, and where a person is not living in fear of losing his job, his home and his bread. Only in such a society personal and any other freedom can exist for real and not on paper.” -J. V. STALIN
Ernest Hemingway wrote:Anyone who loves freedom owes such a debt to the Red Army that it can never be repaid.

Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:“To understand the man you have to know what was happening in the world when he was twenty.”

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:51 pm

Orostan wrote:
Novus America wrote:

both, dumb actions are made for certain reasons that might not themselves be dumb.

It does essentially ban it, the fact that the US is demanding that a Chinese business hand over one of its most successful assets or be thrown out shows how heavy handed the US feels it has to be to maintain what economic influence it has left or how the current leadership doesn't understand how to do imperial competition.

No, because it will continue to operate under new ownership. Most users will barely notice.
And what is bad about us protecting our economic interests? Why do you think it is bad for us to do this yet good for the PRC to ban our social media?

This is how you do competition, but it is not imperial at all to protect your own country.

This simply levels the playing field.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Goldilock
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Goldilock » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:57 pm

Glorious Hong Kong wrote:
Novus America wrote:

I see. That's too bad. I was really looking forward to seeing Blizzard punished for banning Blitzchung for saying "liberate HK, revolution of our times" during a Hearthstone tournament livestream and firing two Taiwanese announcers for the "crime" of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I really want these gaming companies to get banned from China either by the PRC or via U.S., UK, and EU sanctions and Tencent to sell its shares in all of these companies so I can enjoy their games once again. Governments must send a clear message that doing business with or in China is ultimately bad for business. Boycott, divestment, and sanctions are the only way forward.

Long live Hong Kong for the revolution of the times? It's so funny! What do you think Hong Kong can take care of itself? The mainland is short of water and grain. Please plant your own grain to desalinate seawater, dear. And your medical care. With all due respect, there is something wrong with your brain, literally. In January and February, more than 90 cases called for shortage of manpower. Now, as soon as more than 2,000 cases heard people coming from the mainland, they immediately called for our shortage of manpower. Yes, this wave is quite double-standard, and I feel inferior to myself. Dude, don't look at all the fuss now, but be careful to pull up the list in the future-oh, no, the list has already been pulled up. Then, I wish you all continue to enjoy the air of cooking oil in a dish. Ouch, we leeks with poisonous vegetables and autocratic taste nothing. Bye-bye.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:06 pm

Goldilock wrote:
Glorious Hong Kong wrote:

Long live Hong Kong for the revolution of the times? It's so funny! What do you think Hong Kong can take care of itself? The mainland is short of water and grain. Please plant your own grain to desalinate seawater, dear. And your medical care. With all due respect, there is something wrong with your brain, literally. In January and February, more than 90 cases called for shortage of manpower. Now, as soon as more than 2,000 cases heard people coming from the mainland, they immediately called for our shortage of manpower. Yes, this wave is quite double-standard, and I feel inferior to myself. Dude, don't look at all the fuss now, but be careful to pull up the list in the future-oh, no, the list has already been pulled up. Then, I wish you all continue to enjoy the air of cooking oil in a dish. Ouch, we leeks with poisonous vegetables and autocratic taste nothing. Bye-bye.

I'm sorry, "there is something wrong with your brain"? That's flaming and is a violation of the Rules. Do not make personal remarks insulting people.You'll enjoy your stay here much more.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Goldilock
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Goldilock » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:12 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Goldilock wrote:

I'm sorry, "there is something wrong with your brain"? That's flaming and is a violation of the Rules. Do not make personal remarks insulting people.You'll enjoy your stay here much more.

I'm very sorry, I didn't mean to insult anything, but it's inevitable that some words will not be translated.

Orostan
Negotiator

Postby Orostan » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:54 pm

Novus America wrote:
Orostan wrote:both, dumb actions are made for certain reasons that might not themselves be dumb.

No, because it will continue to operate under new ownership. Most user will barely notice.
And what is bad about us protecting our economic interests? Why do you think it is bad for us to do this yet good for the PRC to ban our social media?

This is how you do competition, but it is not imperial at all to protect your own country.

Oh, I have no problem with 'protecting economic interests'. Everyone does it. The PRC however does not have US social media banned because they don't want the competition - they've got it banned because they don't want to have to deal with American propaganda. It helps them not have problems with US competition on their home markets too, but the difference between that and what the USA is doing is that the US is putting new bans into place, where before china already had bans on this kind of stuff. The bans are happening now for a reason - and there are better ways of controlling the domestic tech market anyway that don't require outright bans or mandates to sell assets.

The problem the USA is having is that the global playing field between it and China is becoming more level. The playing field was already tilted heavily in America's favor before, but now it's not quite as much.

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:02 pm

Orostan wrote:
Novus America wrote:
No, because it will continue to operate under new ownership. Most user will barely notice.

Oh, I have no problem with 'protecting economic interests'. Everyone does it. The PRC however does not have US social media banned because they don't want the competition - they've got it banned because they don't want to have to deal with American propaganda. It helps them not have problems with US competition on their home markets too, but the difference between that and what the USA is doing is that the US is putting new bans into place, where before china already had bans on this kind of stuff. The bans are happening now for a reason - and there are better ways of controlling the domestic tech market anyway that don't require outright bans or mandates to sell assets.

The problem the USA is having is that the global playing field between it and China is becoming more level. The playing field was already tilted heavily in America's favor before, but now it's not quite as much.

Well yes they ban our social media for both authoritarianism (blocking their people from accessing ideas and information they do not want accessed) but it is just as much for economic protectionism. The consider ours a threat, we’d consider theirs a threat, even if why we considered it a threat has some differences the action is the same.

They block out foreign competition to their tech companies. Because they will not grant us market access why should we grant them access they will not provide us?

Sure they have been doing it longer, but how does that make it more valid?
We just started changing sure, before we did not realize they were a threat (because they had not been successful and also because we believed some neoliberal ideological bullshit.

But that changed, we realized what was going on, we responded in kind. So what is wrong with that? It is just protecting our interests and leveling the field.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Orostan
Negotiator

Postby Orostan » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:21 pm

Novus America wrote:
Orostan wrote:Oh, I have no problem with 'protecting economic interests'. Everyone does it. The PRC however does not have US social media banned because they don't want the competition - they've got it banned because they don't want to have to deal with American propaganda. It helps them not have problems with US competition on their home markets too, but the difference between that and what the USA is doing is that the US is putting new bans into place, where before china already had bans on this kind of stuff. The bans are happening now for a reason - and there are better ways of controlling the domestic tech market anyway that don't require outright bans or mandates to sell assets.

Well yes they ban our social media for both authoritarianism (blocking their people from accessing ideas and information they do not want accessed) but it is just as much for economic protectionism. The consider ours a threat, we’d consider theirs a threat, even if why we considered it a threat has some differences the action is the same.

They block out foreign competition to their tech companies. Because they will not grant us market access why should we grant them access they will not provide us?

We just started changing sure, before we did not realize they were a threat (because they had not been successful and also because we believed some neoliberal ideological bullshit.

But that changed, we realized what was going on, we responded in kind. So what is wrong with that? It is just protecting our interests and leveling the field.

The US has known about Chinese trade law for as long as those laws have existed. The American 'deep state' as a lot of people call it isn't dumb. The reason why an outright ban however is dumb is because there are much better ways of controlling access to foreign media platforms. The US could, for example, require oversight of some kind or some tax but it doesn't do that because the US is trying to hold on to whatever economic influence it can.

My problem with this isn't that a social media platform is being banned, it's that the rhetoric behind the action and stated (bullshit) reasons are contributing to an increasingly xenophobic, even fascistic, narrative about China in the media.

#FreeNSGRojava
Z

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:36 pm

Orostan wrote:
Novus America wrote:

The US has known about Chinese trade law for as long as those laws have existed. The American 'deep state' as a lot of people call it isn't dumb. The reason why an outright ban however is dumb is because there are much better ways of controlling access to foreign media platforms. The US could, for example, require oversight of some kind or some tax but it doesn't do that because the US is trying to hold on to whatever economic influence it can.

My problem with this isn't that a social media platform is being banned, it's that the rhetoric behind the action and stated (bullshit) reasons are contributing to an increasingly xenophobic, even fascistic, narrative about China in the media.

Again this is not a ban in the sense in that it would be illegal to use it. Sure we have known about their trade laws a long time, and only now are doing something about it but so?
Better late than never.

And again why is us wanting to protect our economic influence bad?

Oversight or a tax would not level the playing field. Only restricting their access to our market does that. It is simple really. You have yet to provide any good reason why we cannot make it fair.

And you completely misuse the term fascistic, this is not fascist at all. Not really xenophobic either as it has nothing to do with race. 1) their government can access the data, true.
2) they ban ours, also true.

It is that simple. It is a power competition yes, but you want us to surrender and lose. Sure you can want us to lose and your side to win, but it is silly to expect us to not fight back.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Cordel One
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Cordel One » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:51 pm

Novus America wrote:
Ifreann wrote:It's a business, it's for making money.

Eh, obviously businesses usually try to make money (but a lot of PRC businesses do not actually make money https://www.piie.com/blogs/china-econom ... nterprises) but businesses may have other agendas as well.

Given it is pretty much impossible to get rich in the PRC without the government being favorable to you, large numbers of PRC executives and billionaires are CCP members (I know, a communist party supported by billionaire businessmen) so they have to not only make money but also advance the interest of the PRC regime.

It's almost like neither the CCP or PRC are communist.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:55 pm

Cordel One wrote:
Novus America wrote:

It's almost like neither the CCP or PRC are communist.

It is a straight dictatorship of the bourgeoisie. Marx would be spinning in his grave.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:02 pm

Novus America wrote:
Xmara wrote:So, I’m a little confused. Will the Tencent ban cause Fortnite and Snapchat to be banned here in the US?

Snapchat is not owned by Tencent

Tencent owns over 10 percent of Snap. The way Trump has worded things now, that should be 0.

and it will not affect video games. But it will stop US companies from doing business with WeChat I believe.

No doubt that was Trumps intent. But he did not word it properly.

Then again, the message "you cannot use this single app because the mother company is an evil communist spy, but feel free to use the thousands of other apps ,programs and real life cars this evil company has many tentacles in" would be a bit odd.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Donestk
Secretary

Founded: Jun 02, 2020
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Donestk » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:31 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Snapchat is not owned by Tencent

Tencent owns over 10 percent of Snap. The way Trump has worded things now, that should be 0.

and it will not affect video games. But it will stop US companies from doing business with WeChat I believe.

No doubt that was Trumps intent. But he did not word it properly.

Then again, the message "you cannot use this single app because the mother company is an evil communist spy, but feel free to use the thousands of other apps ,programs and real life cars this evil company has many tentacles in" would be a bit odd.

evil communist spy thats little to harsh bro, China is technically an Unitary Marxist-Leninist[1] one-party socialist republic[2] - Wikipedia. Socialism is similar to Communism but isnt Communism at end of day. Evil Communist? Its just how the ideology is based upon and how it worked, less freedom and that stuff. It doesnt mean its evil ideology, what the government does thats how you judge not the ideology as a whole.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005

Postby The Lone Alliance » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:57 am

One can hope.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General