NATION

PASSWORD

Trump to Ban TikTok – and Tencent?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Republic of Fore
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Fore » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:25 pm

No tears here, a lot of "stars" are about to experience the real world.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:29 pm

The Republic of Fore wrote:No tears here, a lot of "stars" are about to experience the real world.

Take that, people who have carved out a way to get by making people happy.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

The United Russian Commonwealth
Civilian

Founded: Aug 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Russian Commonwealth » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:33 pm

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:Probably one of the only good things Trump has done.

Last thing we need is ChiCom spyware used to harass CCP critics in foreign countries. The PRC needs to be neutered.

Agreed, now I don't have to die of cringe when my sisters use that shit,but censorship is still censorship,just not as bad in this case.

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:41 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
The Republic of Fore wrote:No tears here, a lot of "stars" are about to experience the real world.

Where my #realismgang at?
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Federal Republic Of America And The Cari
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal Republic Of America And The Cari » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:42 pm

The United Russian Commonwealth wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:Probably one of the only good things Trump has done.

Last thing we need is ChiCom spyware used to harass CCP critics in foreign countries. The PRC needs to be neutered.

Agreed, now I don't have to die of cringe when my sisters use that shit,but censorship is still censorship,just not as bad in this case.

Same here

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:46 pm

By that logic he should ban google.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:50 pm

Purpelia wrote:By that logic he should ban google.

No, because Google does not answer to a hostile foreign government that is our biggest threat.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

The Hindustani State
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Hindustani State » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:51 pm

TikTok is already banned here in India because the Chinese Communist government is using the data on the app for their own interests. Every country that opposes China should ban TikTok because they use people’s data
The Hindustani State। हिन्दूस्तानी राष्ट्र
Theocratic South Asia ruled on Hindu principles, and having expelled all invader religions
NOT A NAZI! THE SWASTIK IS AN ANCIENT HINDU SYMBOL

2021: A New Decade - Republic of India

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:55 pm

I'm getting very strong suspicions that this move is not about national security or anything like this, but the Cheeto-In-Chief's personal vendetta.

Ditto for the Huawei situation.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:55 pm

The Hindustani State wrote:TikTok is already banned here in India because the Chinese Communist government is using the data on the app for their own interests. Every country that opposes China should ban TikTok because they use people’s data

Although this is interesting, if TikTok is sold off to Microsoft will India allow it again?
I agree, but I think taking it from the PRC is the best way to deal with it. We should (and it sounds like we are) forcing them to sell it to our companies or we ban it. Either works though.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:56 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:

Every real man knows that the only proper way to make money is to destroy your spine 80 hours a week at a time.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

La Paz de Los Ricos
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:04 pm

I'm reminded of that video of some instagram girl crying to her audience because her account got deleted.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that it sucks for some to have that platform removed, but I can't really empathize with them.
The Treangolist Revival of La Paz de Los Ricos
I survived the April 2024 NS outage! Also on a t-shirt! | Reworking national information. | The Navaluege Language (WIP)
CURRENT PROJECT . . .
The Tale These Islands Tell [PRIVATE|CLOSED] — [Chapter II - 02 April 2024]
A curmudgeonly Canadian reluctantly aids an aging Ricano legend in reviving the nation's history.

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:40 pm

Sky wrote:Chinese video-sharing app TikTok has responded to Donald Trump's threat of a US ban by declaring: "We're not planning on going anywhere."

In a video aimed at the app's supporters, TikTok spokesperson Vanessa Pappas said it was "here for the long run" and called people to "stand for TikTok".

It followed a suggestion from the president that he would stop the app from operating in the US, as tensions have risen between America and China.

Ms Pappas said: "We've heard your outpouring of support and we want to say thank you. We're not planning on going anywhere."

TikTok later said in a statement: "These are the facts: 100 million Americans come to TikTok for entertainment and connection, especially during the pandemic.

"We've hired nearly 1,000 people to our US team this year alone, and are proud to be hiring another 10,000 employees into great paying jobs across the US.

"Our $1bn creator fund supports US creators who are building livelihoods from our platform.

"TikTok US user data is stored in the US, with strict controls on employee access. TikTok's biggest investors come from the US."

...US military personnel have been discouraged from using Chinese technology over security fears, while Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden reportedly told staff not to use TikTok.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.c ... s-12040588

This is it, bois. TikTok is now actively mobilizing 100 million people against the US government to secure their commercial interest.
Last edited by Region of Dwipantara on Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Khilafah – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

Qihein
Attaché

Founded: Nov 30, 2019
Capitalizt

Postby Qihein » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:53 pm

Good for Trump, stopping a Chinese company from profiting off of U.S citizen's personal info.
Now ban every other company that do it too please.
Bombadil wrote:It's amazing how similar some Republican senators are the same as the Chinese CCP party, same approach to dissent.

Awesomeland012345
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Awesomeland012345 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:58 pm

Qihein wrote:Good for Trump, stopping a Chinese company from profiting off of U.S citizen's personal info.

like facebook
☆ All hail the Holy Awesomeness of Awesomeland012345! ☆ Cheddar

The founder and delegate of Cheddar Dispatches alllll haiillll the tunaaaa Become a dual citizen today! Join Cheddar! :) pls pls pls Take a poll! shh... secret easter eggs!

Confederate Norway
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Confederate Norway » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:02 pm

Awesomeland012345 wrote:
Qihein wrote:Good for Trump, stopping a Chinese company from profiting off of U.S citizen's personal info.

like facebook

I wouldn't be surprised if he did that too, considering how much he hates it.

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:23 pm

Confederate Norway wrote:
Awesomeland012345 wrote:like facebook

I wouldn't be surprised if he did that too, considering how much he hates it.

Nah, AFAIK there's like 90% possibility for Zuckerberg to support Trump, since there's plenty in the Dems who wants to "break up Big Tech", such as Warren. And there is no god but the Almighty Dollar. A full blue wave in 2020 would be a disaster for the Silicon Valley barons.
Last edited by Region of Dwipantara on Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal Republic Of America And The Cari » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:43 pm

La Paz de Los Ricos wrote:

I'm reminded of that video of some instagram girl crying to her audience because her account got deleted.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that it sucks for some to have that platform removed, but I can't really empathize with them.

I'm glad I don't have TikTok

Thank you reddit,I still hate you though

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:48 pm

Federal Republic Of America And The Cari wrote:
La Paz de Los Ricos wrote:

I'm glad I don't have TikTok

Be grateful, my country already banned Reddit and I had to employ various funny methods to access it.

1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:15 pm

Honestly, we should do this to more things. Alongside reclamation of ICANN.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:24 pm

The US should make it's own TikTok.

We cannot afford a thigh gap gap!
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:38 pm

Novus America wrote:
Purpelia wrote:By that logic he should ban google.

No, because Google does not answer to a hostile foreign government that is our biggest threat.

Yeah, about that.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:40 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:The US should make it's own TikTok.

We cannot afford a thigh gap gap!

An American made cheap knock off of a Chinese product that can be filled with pro American propaganda. Wait... I said that in the correct order?

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:42 pm

Well if this passes RIP TikTok
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal Republic Of America And The Cari » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:13 pm

Region of Dwipantara wrote:
Federal Republic Of America And The Cari wrote:I'm glad I don't have TikTok

Be grateful, my country already banned Reddit and I had to employ various funny methods to access it.

Let me guess, Indonesia?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General