Page 1 of 6

Zimbabwe Agrees to Compensate White Farmers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:35 pm
by Proctopeo
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-zimb ... SKCN24U1OM

Two decades ago Mugabe’s government carried out at times violent evictions of 4,500 white farmers and redistributed the land to around 300,000 Black families, arguing it was redressing colonial land imbalances.

The agreement signed at President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s State House offices in Harare showed white farmers would be compensated for infrastructure on the farms and not the land itself, as per the national constitution.


The country's ailing economy (which is largely rooted in those land seizures) means they will issue long-term bonds and reach out to international donors. Perhaps this move will let their economy recover, and even help repair race relations?

So, NSG, what are your thoughts? What does this move imply for Zimbabwe going forward, for any comparable situation in other countries, and is it a good idea to do this in the middle of a global pandemic?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:47 pm
by Ostroeuropa
Broadly positive.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:57 pm
by Kowani
Oh, that’s good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:58 pm
by The Reformed American Republic
Its an improvement for sure and it looks like things are going to get better. They just should make sure that farms are kept under good leadership, even when going through with land reform.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:01 pm
by Asle Leopolka
Definitely a step in the right direction. Mugabe was a short-sighted tyrant who single-handedly sank Zimbabwe and their economy, so hopefully this can bring them back to their pre-colonialism prosperity.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:06 pm
by Qihein
We should go by Zimbabwe's example of compensation and properly compensate Native Americans.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:07 pm
by Asle Leopolka
Qihein wrote:We should go by Zimbabwe's example of compensation and properly compensate Native Americans.

As someone who spent quite a bit of time in Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona, huge yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:21 pm
by Nuroblav
Sounds like a step forward to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:25 pm
by The Yeetusa
Sounds good. Is Zimbabwe a majority black country?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:26 pm
by Minskiev
The Yeetusa wrote:Sounds good. Is Zimbabwe a majority black country?


Well, what do you think?

This is pretty promising. Great Zimbabwe shall rise again!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:28 pm
by Major-Tom
Zimbabwe has seemingly been slowly de-Mugabeizing (if that phrase makes sense) these last few years, which is a positive development, and this is no exception.

I would hope that people can be civil in this thread and not racebait, but I don’t have much faith in that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:28 pm
by Kargintina the Third
Rhodesia rises again

/s

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:28 pm
by -Astoria-
The Yeetusa wrote:Sounds good. Is Zimbabwe a majority black country?
Have a guess, mate.

Also, this is undoubtedly a good thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:29 pm
by Major-Tom
Asle Leopolka wrote:
Qihein wrote:We should go by Zimbabwe's example of compensation and properly compensate Native Americans.

As someone who spent quite a bit of time in Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona, huge yes.


My town is 20% Navajo, it angers me deeply how badly they’ve been fucked over even recently. Beyond compensation, we have to invest heavily in those communities but that’s another topic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:33 pm
by Diarcesia
Proctopeo wrote:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-zimbabwe-farmers/zimbabwe-agrees-to-pay-3-5-billion-compensation-to-white-farmers-idUSKCN24U1OM

Two decades ago Mugabe’s government carried out at times violent evictions of 4,500 white farmers and redistributed the land to around 300,000 Black families, arguing it was redressing colonial land imbalances.

The agreement signed at President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s State House offices in Harare showed white farmers would be compensated for infrastructure on the farms and not the land itself, as per the national constitution.


The country's ailing economy (which is largely rooted in those land seizures) means they will issue long-term bonds and reach out to international donors. Perhaps this move will let their economy recover, and even help repair race relations?

So, NSG, what are your thoughts? What does this move imply for Zimbabwe going forward, for any comparable situation in other countries, and is it a good idea to do this in the middle of a global pandemic?

If it works really well for Zimbabwe in the long run, I'd give it a more serious thought if a one-time reparations program for descendants of slaves would help the US put a close to their sordid past.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:35 pm
by Saiwania
This shouldn't be done if the land reform is being kept in place. The money would be better spent on hiring agricultural experts from abroad or winning back those who were displaced by Mugabe to bring the farms back to their former productivity.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:36 pm
by Ammostan
Diarcesia wrote:
Proctopeo wrote:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-zimbabwe-farmers/zimbabwe-agrees-to-pay-3-5-billion-compensation-to-white-farmers-idUSKCN24U1OM

Two decades ago Mugabe’s government carried out at times violent evictions of 4,500 white farmers and redistributed the land to around 300,000 Black families, arguing it was redressing colonial land imbalances.

The agreement signed at President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s State House offices in Harare showed white farmers would be compensated for infrastructure on the farms and not the land itself, as per the national constitution.


The country's ailing economy (which is largely rooted in those land seizures) means they will issue long-term bonds and reach out to international donors. Perhaps this move will let their economy recover, and even help repair race relations?

So, NSG, what are your thoughts? What does this move imply for Zimbabwe going forward, for any comparable situation in other countries, and is it a good idea to do this in the middle of a global pandemic?

If it works really well for Zimbabwe in the long run, I'd give it a more serious thought if a one-time reparations program for descendants of slaves would help the US put a close to their sordid past.


Yes, let's make taxpayers who had nothing to do with enslavement pay people who have never been enslaved. Sounds fair.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:41 pm
by Major-Tom
Ammostan wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:If it works really well for Zimbabwe in the long run, I'd give it a more serious thought if a one-time reparations program for descendants of slaves would help the US put a close to their sordid past.


Yes, let's make taxpayers who had nothing to do with enslavement pay people who have never been enslaved. Sounds fair.


I'm iffy about US repatriations myself, but look at the crux of your argument here. Zimbabwean black people currently aren't responsible for what Mugabe did in the past, but they're still going to be pitching in for the white population who had their land seized. Is that not similar?

Just food for thought.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:42 pm
by Diarcesia
Ammostan wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:If it works really well for Zimbabwe in the long run, I'd give it a more serious thought if a one-time reparations program for descendants of slaves would help the US put a close to their sordid past.


Yes, let's make taxpayers who had nothing to do with enslavement pay people who have never been enslaved. Sounds fair.

For it to work, the taxpayers should decide that it is them who wanted that. The above concern is moot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:43 pm
by Heloin
Alongside the return of White farms purchased after 1980 in the last year I think Zimbabwe has done a good job fulfilling it's commitments while recognising the need for land reform. The economy isn't in a good position as the moment so what this means for the future is still anyone's guess. That being said it's hard stretch to think of this as true compensation for the land stolen and the lives lost.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:44 pm
by The Huskar Social Union
Good

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:46 pm
by Andsed
Seems like a good step forward for Zimbabwe.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:50 pm
by Minskiev
Well, the difference is that Mugabe was under a lifetime ago, while the system of slavery ended over three, maybe four ago. So, it doesn’t make much sense to pay people who’s grandparents likely didn’t encounter it at all. Of course, then there’s the end of Reconstruction, but we’ve paid that off with the Civil Rights movement and the current BLM protests. So, if what’s happening now makes a big change, then there isn’t much of a need to do that in the US.

Now, Native Americans? I’m on the East Coast, so I’ve got zero clue what goes on in the Midwest, so I’ll let those people talk about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:00 pm
by Ammostan
Minskiev wrote:Well, the difference is that Mugabe was under a lifetime ago, while the system of slavery ended over three, maybe four ago. So, it doesn’t make much sense to pay people who’s grandparents likely didn’t encounter it at all. Of course, then there’s the end of Reconstruction, but we’ve paid that off with the Civil Rights movement and the current BLM protests. So, if what’s happening now makes a big change, then there isn’t much of a need to do that in the US.

Now, Native Americans? I’m on the East Coast, so I’ve got zero clue what goes on in the Midwest, so I’ll let those people talk about it.


Let's say that my house happens to be on land "stolen" from "Native Americans". The sins of the United States Government have nothing to do with me. Should I be kicked out of my house and have it given to the descendants of the people the land was "stolen" from?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:02 pm
by Minskiev
No, you’re thinking of what happened to the white farmers in Zimbabwe, the original crime.

The Natives would be compensated for the previous and possibly ongoing-ish sins, but not by kicking white people out.