NATION

PASSWORD

Trump to delay the election

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:29 am

Drongonia wrote:The mail-in vote thing is a legitimate concern. I would never want to mail in a vote for anything, ever.

As a side question, if that is such a big concern, why is the USA not digital yet ? It is 2020. You do your taxes online, manage your pension and insurance online, your medical records are online, all banking is online etc. And lets be fair - my savings matter much more than who is president ;)

So why not the elections ? Yes, there would be a barrier for poor people and people who fear computers; but the current system is also filled with barriers to prevent certain demographics to vote. So that would not be a change of principles.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Lower Nubia
Minister

Founded: Dec 22, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lower Nubia » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:29 am

Picairn wrote:
Soiled fruit roll ups wrote:Jobs were better under Trump and theres two things decent people hate more than anything. Kid fidlers and Marxism. And the demo chose a candidate who exemplifies one and doesnt oppose the other enough.

The economy right now is bust, so it's useless to bring up jobs now. Also decent people hate blunders, like Trump's handling of the coronavirus.

Depends if their sources call it a blunder.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."
Signature Updated: 15th April, 2022

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:29 am

Soiled fruit roll ups wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
The economy going into a massive contraction isn't bad for Trump's ability to run on a strong economy?

Nope, because nobody believes it. Mainly because the people saying it will not be believed.

And you base this on what?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Lower Nubia
Minister

Founded: Dec 22, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lower Nubia » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:30 am

Vassenor wrote:
The economy going into a massive contraction isn't bad for Trump's ability to run on a strong economy?

Nope, because nobody believes it. Mainly because the people saying it will not be believed.

You must of escaped the circus.
  1. Anglo-Catholic
    Anglican
  2. Socially Centre-Right
  3. Third Way Neoliberal
  4. Asperger
    Syndrome
  5. Graduated
    in Biochemistry
Her Region of Africa
Her Overview (WIP)
"These are they who are made like to God as far as possible, of their own free will, and by God's indwelling, and by His abiding grace. They are truly called gods, not by nature, but by participation; just as red-hot iron is called fire, not by nature, but by participation in the fire's action."
Signature Updated: 15th April, 2022

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:30 am

Ifreann wrote:Did you know that people routinely do things that are illegal?

Well I don't think Trump is an omnipotent overlord to be able to command 50 states cancelling the election under his order.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:32 am

Geneviev wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:You must've forgotten which side caused this economic crash.

The virus side? Or the side that didn't respond to the virus to protect people?

The side which shut down economies across the globe.
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:32 am

Vassenor wrote:

Everyone who is currently unemployed will definitely believe Trump when he talks about jobs. So will all of the people being evicted soon. Because they don't trust Democrats.

Yeah, that makes sense.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:33 am

Picairn wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Did you know that people routinely do things that are illegal?

Well I don't think Trump is an omnipotent overlord to be able to command 50 states cancelling the election under his order.

The important thing for him is to cause doubt about the integrity of the election, because he can't stand the thought of himself losing. Throwing doubt about the election is opening up the possibility for violence during the transfer of power.

While calling to delay the election is bad, it's not as bad as him constantly railing against the inevitable prominant use of mail-in ballots (it's become his new "millions of illegals bussed in to vote"), because on that front loads of Republicans will believe him. Who knows what they'll do if they think Joe Biden took power illegally?
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:33 am

Geneviev wrote:

Everyone who is currently unemployed will definitely believe Trump when he talks about jobs. So will all of the people being evicted soon. Because they don't trust Democrats.

Yeah, that makes sense.

It is all Obamas fault. Did you not know ?
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:34 am

Bastard wants to do bastard things. Color me surprised.

The sooner that two-faced snake is out of office the better off we'll all be.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:34 am

Valrifell wrote:
Picairn wrote:Well I don't think Trump is an omnipotent overlord to be able to command 50 states cancelling the election under his order.

The important thing for him is to cause doubt about the integrity of the election, because he can't stand the thought of himself losing. Throwing doubt about the election is opening up the possibility for violence during the transfer of power.

While calling to delay the election is bad, it's not as bad as him constantly railing against the inevitable prominant use of mail-in ballots (it's become his new "millions of illegals bussed in to vote"), because on that front loads of Republicans will believe him. Who knows what they'll do if they think Joe Biden took power illegally?

Did they riot when a few barrels of votes that had mysteriously vanished and helped Bush jr to win the election turned up ?

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:36 am

Marxist Germany wrote:
Geneviev wrote:The virus side? Or the side that didn't respond to the virus to protect people?

The side which shut down economies across the globe.

Ah, the side that could have saved lives with some leadership from Trump. And could have reopened safely by now.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Soiled fruit roll ups
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Soiled fruit roll ups » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:36 am

Vassenor wrote:

Nobody winning arguments with the best sources anymore.

The person who comes away looking best from any disagreement always seems to be the most centrist normal sounding hetro cis one.

Like being FN and gay has lost me more discussions at my local gay Cafe than my having no education and the IQ of a moldy potato.

People just don't want to hear it.
JAGERA/TURRBULL/YEERONGPAN
FIRST NATION AUSTRALIAN - ABORIGINAL

The United States is also a one party system but, with typical American extravagance, they have two of them.- Julius Nyerere.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:36 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

Did they riot when a few barrels of votes that had mysteriously vanished and helped Bush jr to win the election turned up ?

2004 was a different, less politically charged, time.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:37 am

Vassenor wrote:

Nobody winning arguments with the best sources anymore.

The person who comes away looking best from any disagreement always seems to be the most centrist normal sounding hetro cis one.

Like being FN and gay has lost me more discussions at my local gay Cafe than my having no education and the IQ of a moldy potato.

People just don't want to hear it.

what

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:37 am

He must be pretty desperate, to play his last trump card like that, to distract people from the appalling US economic news.
Everything is intertwinkled

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:38 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Everyone who is currently unemployed will definitely believe Trump when he talks about jobs. So will all of the people being evicted soon. Because they don't trust Democrats.

Yeah, that makes sense.

It is all Obamas fault. Did you not know ?

Right right right. How could I forget? Everything is his fault.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:38 am

The Alma Mater wrote:As a side question, if that is such a big concern, why is the USA not digital yet ? It is 2020. You do your taxes online, manage your pension and insurance online, your medical records are online, all banking is online etc. And lets be fair - my savings matter much more than who is president ;)

Anything digital, I don't have faith in its permanence. It could easily be deleted or altered should there be no local backup as proof should you happen to actually need it. The US doesn't even have automated/free tax filing yet from the IRS. It would apparently endanger the profits of companies like Intuit, whose Turbotax products would become useless if people were able to have their taxes calculated by the IRS and only have to verify their deductions and etc. like in other well off countries.

Intuit spends a lot of money to ensure that citizens of the US have to calculate their own taxes as opposed to having the IRS do it. Which will make it more likely for people in the US to want to buy Turbotax to do that for them.

If the US can't have tax filing be all digital, chances are neither can the voting.
Last edited by Saiwania on Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Drystar
Secretary

Founded: May 05, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Drystar » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:39 am

Indian Empire wrote:
Drongonia wrote:The mail-in vote thing is a legitimate concern. I would never want to mail in a vote for anything, ever.

Mail-in voting happens every election, they're called Absentee ballots. And someone in Utah or Oregon correct me if I'm wrong, but it's completely safe and secure.

Since I’m from Oregon, and have been voting by mail since 2001, I can tell you a few things about it. First, you register at either DMV or at the county electors office. On your registration card you sign your name, this is what they check your ballot against. Now come election season, first you get your voters pamphlet, and those tend to be different depending on your registration. Then a few days later you get your ballot. Big thick white envelope, with the words ballot enclosed stamped on it. Inside you’ll find three things, a ballot, a ballot envelope with a place for your signature, and a return envelope. Now you don’t have to actually mail your ballot back, you can drop it off at various secure drop boxes, normally at sheriffs offices, county courthouses, places of that nature, right up to the election deadline. But if you do want to mail it in, then you place the completed ballot in the secure envelope, which if tampered with invalidates the ballot, then you place that envelope inside the return mail envelope and drop it in the mail. It has to be postmarked by a certain date if sent by mail, but like I mentioned before, if you miss that date, you can still drop it off at the secure locations. Then all the ballots go to one counting location from all over the state. Works pretty well for us, but then we tend to be uncomplicated unlike all you trying to borrow trouble.

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:41 am

Geneviev wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:It is all Obamas fault. Did you not know ?

Everything!

9/11? Obama.
Vietnam? Obama.
Nazi Germany? Obama.
Civil War? Obama.
Black Death? Obama.
Crusades? Obama.
Fall of Rome? Obama.
Jesus' Crucifixion? Obama.
Adam & Eve? Obama.
Last edited by Trollzyn the Infinite on Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:42 am

It's not, there's no evidence behind it, you're not even American etc etc etc.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:42 am

Geneviev wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:It is all Obamas fault. Did you not know ?

People don't like lemon oreos because of Obama.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:42 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

As a side question, if that is such a big concern, why is the USA not digital yet ? It is 2020. You do your taxes online, manage your pension and insurance online, your medical records are online, all banking is online etc. And lets be fair - my savings matter much more than who is president ;)

So why not the elections ? Yes, there would be a barrier for poor people and people who fear computers; but the current system is also filled with barriers to prevent certain demographics to vote. So that would not be a change of principles.

Tbh it's the same in the UK, we still rely on paper ballots. Electronic voting machines have been discussed but since nobody is really pressing the matter then it hasn't really gone anywhere.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:42 am

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:Bastard wants to do bastard things. Color me surprised.

The sooner that two-faced snake is out of office the better off we'll all be.

Gonna be weird watching him try to not be President any more. He'll still be on Twitter constantly, I wouldn't be surprised if he carries on doing rallies.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

No State Here
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby No State Here » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:43 am

Geneviev wrote:Please tell me this isn't real. This can't be real.

What’s not real?
Abolish NSG

New York Anarcho-Capitalist Minarchist, not an Ancap anymore
Theme
Anthem

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General