NATION

PASSWORD

The American Eviction Crisis: Countdown to Doomsday

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:14 pm

Cisairse wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:Not really. The 14th Amendment opened up a window for the Bill of Rights to be applied to the state governments. In the past, yes, they could be authoritarian regimes and sometimes were, but not in today's time, unless the constitution is changed.

No, it means that states can be authoritarian regimes which rule by decree so long as they don't violate the extremely narrow list of rights that they're not allowed to violate.

The Reformed American Republic wrote:Regardless, the constitution of the U.S. does not prevent governors or the president from temporarily halting evictions. If a court rules otherwise, it's probably just judges applying their own political views into the case.

That's not how enumerated powers works.

There's also Implied Powers as well.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Cisairse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cisairse » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:05 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Cisairse wrote:
No, it means that states can be authoritarian regimes which rule by decree so long as they don't violate the extremely narrow list of rights that they're not allowed to violate.

That's not how enumerated powers works.

There's also Implied Powers as well.

That's not how implied powers works, either. The Constitution does not grant any implied powers to the president, only to Congress.
The details of the above post are subject to leftist infighting.

I officially endorse Fivey Fox for president of the United States.

Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:45 pm

so, as we head to doomsday the world over, how is the united states coping with its eviction crisis that did not need to happen?

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:48 pm

Diahon wrote:so, as we head to doomsday the world over, how is the united states coping with its eviction crisis that did not need to happen?

Trump suspended evictions by executive order, but he did it in such a way that the states could evade him if they wanted to.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Diahon wrote:so, as we head to doomsday the world over, how is the united states coping with its eviction crisis that did not need to happen?

I do not think there is a single central policy per se, but most banks will allow you to defer housing payments and either pay them back at the end of your mortgage (in effect existing the term of your mortgage). You still accrue interest during the time, so you will pay slightly large payments after the deferral ends.

Actually very few places want to evict you, unless they can rapidly replace you with someone paying more.

The cost and time it takes to evict you is not worth it (especially if nobody can quickly replace you) so most banks and landlords will be willing to negotiate over going straight for eviction (a time consuming and often expensive process, especially if you hire a lawyer).
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Previous

Return to General