NATION

PASSWORD

Among Us Political Roleplay (18+)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:56 am

Purpelia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
And how well do you think "it's good for the planet" will play with people who have already invested in a petrol car or truck, and have no alternative but to use it whatever the cost?

Maybe the government could buy back gas-guzzlers so people have some money towards a new electric car (which there won't be enough of), but then you've just shifted emissions and other pollution to fossil fuel generating plants. The only source of electricity which can be brought on-line at all quickly.

Well I'll give you credit for at least understanding it can't be done in one year.

Just invest in passenger railroads like the rest of the civilized world.

Except that rail doesn't go to every town, and even if it did it still has the inherent problems of outsourcing your transport to a private company which may have a sucky timetable if they're not on strike. I'll stick with my motorcycle thanks.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:09 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Just invest in passenger railroads like the rest of the civilized world.

Except that rail doesn't go to every town, and even if it did it still has the inherent problems of outsourcing your transport to a private company which may have a sucky timetable if they're not on strike. I'll stick with my motorcycle thanks.

See how you answered your own complaint there.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

SatoSere
Envoy

Founded: Jun 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby SatoSere » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:13 am

Well, can I say that this action is disgusting? This is a bribe on the officers, it is almost inevitable that they will crack down harder on environmentalist protesters to safeguard the profits of Big Oil due to this bribe.
The Immortal Pristine Revolutionary State of Ukraine
SUMMARY: An autocratic technocratic "utopia" with the best architecture and environment in the world, paid by the freedom of citizens.
What do we have to offer? A magnificent timeless architecture, weather-altering BS machines, a pristine environment, a strong military, and a death toll of 10 million from our concentration camps and bloody wars.
FOR EVERY BAD REPLY, A POLITICAL OPPONENT WILL BE SENT TO CHERNOBYL. 13 sent (don't get offended if you get chernobyl'd 'tis just a joke)

У К Р А Ї Н А Н О М Е Р О Д И Н У С В І Т О В О М У Щ А С Т І | П Р О К Л Я Т А З О Б Р А Ж Е Н Н Я | С Л А В А Л Е Г І О Н У С Е Р Е Н И
Q&A here another acc: HXVZ-07031017

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:19 am

Capitalists prop up an organization essentially created to protect the interests of capital? Inconcievable.
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:22 am

Post War America wrote:Capitalists prop up an organization essentially created to protect the interests of capital? Inconcievable.

Capitalists voluntarily paying for something they can have for free, actually quite odd.

How could there NOT be quid pro quo? Some special treatment for them?
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:22 am

I see Trump is deputizing the new Coal and Iron police.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:23 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Post War America wrote:Capitalists prop up an organization essentially created to protect the interests of capital? Inconcievable.

Capitalists voluntarily paying for something they can have for free, actually quite odd.

How could there NOT be quid pro quo? Some special treatment for them?

I'm sure the donations to the police force are still cheaper than hiring mercenaries to put down uppity rebellious colored people, who might spread their revolutionary ideas of wanting to be treated like human beings to other, more dangerous (to them) demographics.
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Rah
Civilian

Founded: Jan 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rah » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:27 am

I feel as if I am in the 1890’s reading this thread, with its proto communist jargon and clearly unimplementable solutions. The US is a huge place with a huge economy. That will never change regardless of government style. I agree we should shift off petrochemical focus by using the existing petrochemical dtructure to support real world, tested Electrical generation, to move to electric cars. Does China or Russia have an extensive rail system outside the major cities? No. They are/“were” both Communisms....

Its all due to scale. Europe can do it because by comparison it is small Space wise but high in population density compared to Russia and US.. You dont see much rail inCanada either, outside a few cities. As for cops, I received a call to order 10 police cruisers yesterday (I work in manufacturing). The policeman currently drives a 1991 Crown Victoria. Getting hem into cleaner and safer vehicles makes the public safer as well you know. The people and all that. I see this as a corporation being socially responsible, not social engineering.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:29 am

Rah wrote:I feel as if I am in the 1890’s reading this thread, with its proto communist jargon and clearly unimplementable solutions. The US is a huge place with a huge economy. That will never change regardless of government style. I agree we should shift off petrochemical focus by using the existing petrochemical dtructure to support real world, tested Electrical generation, to move to electric cars. Does China or Russia have an extensive rail system outside the major cities? No. They are/“were” both Communisms....

Actually yes. Especially Russia. Their railroad system is massive. And besides, you don't have to connect up every village to see an impact. The vast majority of traffic happens inside of and between the main urban centers. Connect those up with fast passenger railroads and good public transit and you will see a massive drop in car traffic. This in turn will drive the demand for oil down leading to a drop in prices for those that still have to drive.

Thus you can still have your petrol driven automobile. Only now it'll last longer and cost you less to run because you have an alternative. It's called market competition and it actually works out for the little guy.
Last edited by Purpelia on Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:35 am

Rah wrote:I feel as if I am in the 1890’s reading this thread, with its proto communist jargon and clearly unimplementable solutions. The US is a huge place with a huge economy. That will never change regardless of government style. I agree we should shift off petrochemical focus by using the existing petrochemical dtructure to support real world, tested Electrical generation, to move to electric cars. Does China or Russia have an extensive rail system outside the major cities? No. They are/“were” both Communisms....

I can tell you from personal experience, China has a very good rail system that will take you almost anywhere you need to go. It does this affordably, and if you are going to major cities, extremely quickly (though the low speed rail is slower it goes to many more places). China has roughly the same land area as the United States, similar population dispersion, and is much poorer per capita than the US is, the US has no excuse.
For those who care
Not Post-Apocalyptic

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:35 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:I hope we shall crush… in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country.

Unfortunately this did not happen.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:39 am

Its all due to scale. Europe can do it because by comparison it is small Space wise but high in population density compared to Russia and US.. You dont see much rail inCanada either, outside a few cities. As for cops, I received a call to order 10 police cruisers yesterday (I work in manufacturing). The policeman currently drives a 1991 Crown Victoria. Getting hem into cleaner and safer vehicles makes the public safer as well you know. The people and all that. I see this as a corporation being socially responsible, not social engineering.

Actually China has quite a lot of rail. Also a very high population, you'd have done better to put China in with Europe as places rail can work.

I don't agree that rail isn't worthwhile in the US. There is a lot of existing rail that is in terrible condition and therefore slow, made worse by the cost-cutting of using a lot of level crossings (which slow traffic more than trains, but are in any case dangerous). But where the greatest contribution could be made would be new fast rail, to reduce the use of air travel.

What do you mean "tested Electrical generation"? Nuclear is good, but has a long lead time. All kinds of renewables have long lead time too, for a different reason: up-front cost. There's just not enough investment capital in the sector at one time, but this sounds like work for the Federal government to me. Or perhaps you meant gas or coal generation ...

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:43 am

I don't see anything wrong, unless, like SD said, they're doing it for gain.
Food Discussion Thread (II)
I use NS stats if I like them.

-My RMB Quotebook!-
-When the SCOTUS is sus-
"[L]aw, without equity, though hard and disagreeable, is much more desirable for the public good, than equity without law;
which would make every judge a legislator, and introduce most infinite confusion.
"

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:45 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:I don't agree that rail isn't worthwhile in the US. There is a lot of existing rail that is in terrible condition and therefore slow, made worse by the cost-cutting of using a lot of level crossings (which slow traffic more than trains, but are in any case dangerous). But where the greatest contribution could be made would be new fast rail, to reduce the use of air travel.

The only problem is... building new fast railways cost a lot in the US nowadays. In fact, the costs of building new rails in the US are way larger than its European counterpart. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomb ... -its-peers
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
Colonel (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:51 am

Picairn wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:I don't agree that rail isn't worthwhile in the US. There is a lot of existing rail that is in terrible condition and therefore slow, made worse by the cost-cutting of using a lot of level crossings (which slow traffic more than trains, but are in any case dangerous). But where the greatest contribution could be made would be new fast rail, to reduce the use of air travel.

The only problem is... building new fast railways cost a lot in the US nowadays. In fact, the costs of building new rails in the US are way larger than its European counterpart. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomb ... -its-peers

That's a subway. Still, that and fast rail would both qualify as "megaprojects" and megaprojects in any sector seem to blow out more in the US than in Europe. Perhaps the cult of Small Government limits the ability of government to oversee and audit projects?

Or perhaps private enterprise is just more ruthless at gouging government.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:57 am

Purpelia wrote:
Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Being a major player in the oil industry requires some big assets like refineries, pipelines or oil tankers. Refineries in particular can't be effectively down-scaled, also they have complex inputs and outputs that reward vertical integration (suppliers and markets). I'm not sure it would all be possible if government broke the oil companies up into "baby oils" but I am quite sure the price of fuel would be higher.

Which is why vital resource industries should be nationalized. See Norway for an example.

This. Nationalize the railroads, oil companies, telecoms, and power companies to start
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:00 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:That's a subway. Still, that and fast rail would both qualify as "megaprojects" and megaprojects in any sector seem to blow out more in the US than in Europe. Perhaps the cult of Small Government limits the ability of government to oversee and audit projects?

Or perhaps private enterprise is just more ruthless at gouging government.

It's because your government is corrupt to the bone and in the pocket of private business. That's all there is to it. It's entirely a cultural thing that has nothing to do with the actual viability of the project in question.

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:02 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Which is why vital resource industries should be nationalized. See Norway for an example.

This. Nationalize the railroads, oil companies, telecoms, and power companies to start

Yes, and let's build bullet trains as well.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:04 am

The US has a massive extensive rail system, the largest in the world mind you. It’s just that near none of it is used for passenger service.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:07 am

Greed and Death wrote:I see Trump is deputizing the new Coal and Iron police.

Bring on the Oily Maguires.
Everything is intertwinkled

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:27 am

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:This. Nationalize the railroads, oil companies, telecoms, and power companies to start

Yes, and let's build bullet trains as well.

Bullet trains don't make sense for us population density and living patterns.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:31 am

Greed and Death wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:Yes, and let's build bullet trains as well.

They would be a decent replacement for a lot of your internal air travel though. And regular commuter trains could pick up a lot of the rest.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:39 am

Purpelia wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:

They would be a decent replacement for a lot of your internal air travel though. And regular commuter trains could pick up a lot of the rest.

But airports are more convenient for the suburbanite.
It makes far more sense to reduce our carbon foot print by having our rail focused principally on freight.

The only places a bullet train works is the NE corridor, The Texas Triangle, and the West Coast.

Even then as living and working patterns shift to suburbs a centralized rail station might lack convenience.
Barack Obama

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:44 am

Greed and Death wrote:But airports are more convenient for the suburbanite.

What is the difference between driving to an airport and driving to a railroad station? They are pretty much the same except for what happens after you get there.

Even then as living and working patterns shift to suburbs a centralized rail station might lack convenience.

Which is why you build public transport to and from it. I mean it's not like these are things no country has ever had to deal with before.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:46 am

Capitalism is gonna capitalism, who would have thought?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General